Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Carphil
Serious_Much
ChizFreak
7 posters

Deprived's Enigma?

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Deprived's Enigma? Empty Deprived's Enigma?

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Just that, thinking about the pendant. It may be related to him and maybe is has memories of why he starts without clothes etc. Some may say that that's the thief, but I just think that the Thief has bad memories (because he was a THIEF), not that he has anything to remember. Unlike the Deprived, who is an Enigma, said in the description of his class. Anyone tried different things after as a Deprived with the Pendant?

Also, has anyone tried kindling all bonfires (and by all, I mean ALL, Demon Ruins, Undead Burg, Parish, Catacombs, ToG, Dukes, Anor, Painted, Firelink, Stone Dragon's, Blacksmith Andre's, Abyss, Blighttown, Depths, Kiln, Chaos Cov's, Darkroot Garden, Ash Lake, Great Hollow, Lost Izalith, Sen's Fortress, Crystal Cave and Undead Asylum), that means that you can't kill any firekeeper also. And try to talk to Petrus, maybe he tells you something about "how" to get powers by kindling bonfires because you already kindled all of them to max. Don't forget to kindle Seath's, Nito's, Bed of Chaos' and Sunlight Altar's Bonfires. People always forget about them.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Deprived's Enigma? Empty Re: Deprived's Enigma?

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 pm

"a person of puzzling or contradictory character: To me he has always been an enigma, one minute completely insensitive, the next moved to tears."

To be perfectly honest, I think the description is made to entice players into using the deprived and making their game harder, just like the gifts such as tiny beings ring that are dressed up, they're just traps for new players in my opinion.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Serious_Much wrote:"a person of puzzling or contradictory character: To me he has always been an enigma, one minute completely insensitive, the next moved to tears."

To be perfectly honest, I think the description is made to entice players into using the deprived and making their game harder, just like the gifts such as tiny beings ring that are dressed up, they're just traps for new players in my opinion.

"Unclothed enigma.
    Only armed with club
    and old plank shield."

I agree that in terms of gameplay it's classed designed for players who want a challenge at the start, but I don't think that's it. It has an enigma, and in my opinion, that enigma could be resolved using the pendant. (starting from the fact that the pendant has repressed memories).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Well start as deprived and take the pendant big grin

If I do a deprived run I might do that too just for kicks and see if anything happens, but i doubt it would :|

maybe try going into all the covenants and leave them without any sin (by oswald) then end up without covenant?

I dunno, what I gave you was a definition, and while it could be interpreted as something that could be resolved using the fond memories of the pendant, in the same way he could be puzzling by simply choosing to not wear armour.

I'm just going with ockham's razor on this one and say it's a trap made by the devs.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Well start as deprived and take the pendant big grin

If I do a deprived run I might do that too just for kicks and see if anything happens, but i doubt it would :|

maybe try going into all the covenants and leave them without any sin (by oswald) then end up without covenant?

I dunno, what I gave you was a definition, and while it could be interpreted as something that could be resolved using the fond memories of the pendant, in the same way he could be puzzling by simply choosing to not wear armour.

I'm just going with ockham's razor on this one and say it's a trap made by the devs.

Yeah, thanks anyway, but, have you tried anything like the second
    paragraph? Kindling all bonfires? The Deprived/Pendant it's just a
    theory of mine, but the fact that you get in someway powers from
    Kindling all bonfires, in my opinion, it's true, Petrus tells that to
    you, maybe if you complete his quest line (without killing him), and if
    you kindle all bonfires, he tells you something about those powers you
    get from kindling.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm kidling all bonfires, but I believe someone already did. The crap is that are bonfires I don't even lit anymore, like the first blighttown bonfire or Sen's fortress bonfire, so I will have to go pass there again
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Carphil wrote:I'm kidling all bonfires, but I believe someone already did. The crap is that are bonfires I don't even lit anymore, like the first blighttown bonfire or Sen's fortress bonfire, so I will have to go pass there again

Thanks for testing it, read my first post, there you have ALL the bonfires so you don't miss any, remember to kindle the lords' bonfires! Everyone forgets them.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Lol srry, wrong button.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm

I was trying to kindle all the bonfires to max with my first toon, then I run out of Humanity.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm

I would love to receive the bonfire sword.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:Well start as deprived and take the pendant big grin

Yeah, thanks anyway, but, have you tried anything like the second
    paragraph? Kindling all bonfires? The Deprived/Pendant it's just a
    theory of mine, but the fact that you get in someway powers from
    Kindling all bonfires, in my opinion, it's true, Petrus tells that to
    you, maybe if you complete his quest line (without killing him), and if
    you kindle all bonfires, he tells you something about those powers you
    get from kindling.

No I haven't tried that to be honest, though I'm not really up for doing research like this anymore, I've sort of given up on the whole pendant thing sad to say :|

I do hope you and the others looking prove me wrong though lol!
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 am

Pretty sure somebody tried Kindling all the Bonfires on Glyph's old thread. Emergence moved it all here, but I haven't seen it for a while.

Also, pretty sure somebody tried a no Bonfire run but couldn't put out the Stone Dragon's (it's pre-lit like a Firekeeper's, but the Dragon is invincible and also the last person lore-wise who would be a Firekeeper).

In my opinion, the Pendant is recommended as an esoteric reference to King's Field (fond memories) and simultaneously to make the game harder from the get-go, as it is one of the only starting gifts that doesn't do anything (the Director actually never claimed it to do anything...merely 'recommended' it).
    sunbro
    sunbro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sunbro Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 am

@ ChizFreak you should realy check my post

The great search in the archives
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:Pretty sure somebody tried Kindling all the Bonfires on Glyph's old thread. Emergence moved it all here, but I haven't seen it for a while.

Also, pretty sure somebody tried a no Bonfire run but couldn't put out the Stone Dragon's (it's pre-lit like a Firekeeper's, but the Dragon is invincible and also the last person lore-wise who would be a Firekeeper).

In my opinion, the Pendant is recommended as an esoteric reference to King's Field (fond memories) and simultaneously to make the game harder from the get-go, as it is one of the only starting gifts that doesn't do anything (the Director actually never claimed it to do anything...merely 'recommended' it).

He didn't just recommend it, in a post-launch interview to him, the guy asked him if he can give any clue about what does the pendant, and he said, and no, it's just as he expected, and that he expects people find out. Thus confirming that it does something, and no, it has not been discovered yet (that interview was in late November I think).

sunbro wrote:@ ChizFreak you should realy check my post

The great search in the archives

Ty, I will give it a look, maybe I can help you with something.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 am

I always thought the deprived was the "true" character. As in if Dark Souls was a book/movie the deprived would be the main char. I mean it doesnt make sense for your char to have all this fancy equipment. All the other undead are dressed in rags, presumably being stripped of their possessions before being sent to the asylum so why shouldnt you be?
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:06 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    JohnnyHarpoon wrote:Pretty sure somebody tried Kindling all the Bonfires on Glyph's old thread. Emergence moved it all here, but I haven't seen it for a while.

He didn't just recommend it, in a post-launch interview to him, the guy asked him if he can give any clue about what does the pendant, and he said, and no, it's just as he expected, and that he expects people find out. Thus confirming that it does something, and no, it has not been discovered yet (that interview was in late November I think).

All he said in that November interview was, "Hm.... I am very happy to get this question because this is
    exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you
    use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of
    the item. Please find it out on your own!"

First off, he never implies that nobody has figured it out/found out 'the truth' about the Pendant. He does say, however, that he cannot tell us how to use the item...but that's it. A statement like that could mean it's a secret, or it could just as easily mean that he literally cannot explain it to us. Perhaps he cannot explain it to us because it has no literal 'use'.

Now OK, I'd even be skeptical of that argument. However, the dude goes on to specifically recommend that people investigate the meaning of the item, and no longer even refers to it being 'used'. It would thus appear that the meaning, now, is what we should be looking for/focusing on, and that that is what we must 'find out on our own'.

To me, this only backs up my theory even more.

Obviously, interpret it as you will, and for the love of God prove me wrong (nothing would make me happier than if something new were to be discovered). Until then, though, I will fervently believe that Miyazaki chose his words quite carefully.

Not sure if he was speaking in English or Japanese with GameInformer, so I suppose it could be an inexact translation, but either way, if it takes this long for something to be discovered then I'm fine with not being the one to discover it.

I actually liked another post on here about the Pendant and the braziers down at Firelink Atlar (like run through the game with the appropriate starting class for the appropriate covenenant, 10 starting classes, 10 covenants including no covenenant for Deprived, 10 save slots on your Playstation). Don't know how you justify 'this class belongs to this covenant', especially because two Covenants start in the Way of White.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:06 am