Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
lonewolf
Liudeius
jimmyc0341
hey its andres
alchemydesign
Dibsville
morte
Slarg232
mugenis4real
Nugget
mr_no_face
Seignar
Tolvo
Saturday-Saint
User1
Serious_Much
tinypantha
21 posters

Dark Souls II IGN Video, My Thoughts

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Dark Souls II IGN Video, My Thoughts - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls II IGN Video, My Thoughts

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

If you watch when there are high power winds on the way to the Dragon Castle, it actually dictates where the cloth of his armor goes. While he moves normally it trails a bit behind the wind is sending it to the left. So the physics are a bit more impressive than first thought.

Also another little thing, these chain mail wearing figures in the torture chamber.

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%202/f1c4a7f1-8205-4925-8a28-398f8167ee4c_zps7d782569.jpg
    Liudeius

Dark Souls II IGN Video, My Thoughts - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls II IGN Video, My Thoughts

Post by Liudeius Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am

jimmyc0341 wrote:
    I take it you didn't read my comment all the way through but yes I've never played Demon Souls but I've watched a million playthroughs of it.
    Yes... Because not considering watching videos to be equivalent to playing the game means I didn't read your comment.

Playing something and watching something be played are completely different. Coming from someone who ACTUALLY HAS played both, their mechanics feel identical. The main differences are upgrades (armor can now be upgraded, weapons have different upgrades), size (DkS is far larger), and difficulty curve (DkS has greater time to kill and goes up slower but higher).
    The combat feels identical barring poise and the jump that happens if you roll while running.

I don't care if you haven't played Demon's Souls, but it's not a valid point to claim a video of DkS2 makes the game look like it will play like a video of DeS. (Especially when DkS & DeS are so similar in how they play)
    Even in my claim about "weightless movement," I acknowledge that this is a video and therefore my impression of it is based on animations rather than actually controlling the character.
    Liudeius

Post by Liudeius Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

The torch also seems to function as a 100% physical shield in the video (when he's blocking the turtles). Will they simplify blocking, or is this just too early a build for that to have been balanced?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Liudeius wrote:

Playing something and watching something be played are completely different. Coming from someone who ACTUALLY HAS played both, their mechanics feel identical. The main differences are upgrades (armor can now be upgraded, weapons have different upgrades), size (DkS is far larger), and difficulty curve (DkS has greater time to kill and goes up slower but higher).
    The combat feels identical barring poise and the jump that happens if you roll while running.

Main differences are those? how about MANA, or the fact that the best roll is 50%? Or your character and attack movement is like watching a kung fu movie? It's just fast fast fast fast. The gameplay is overawingly faster than dark, though i think having it slower is better.

Also I'd say Demons bosses < Dark bosses. Dark levels < demons levels on the most part
    Liudeius

Post by Liudeius Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Main differences are those? how about MANA, or the fact that the best roll is 50%? Or your character and attack movement is like watching a kung fu movie? It's just fast fast fast fast. The gameplay is overawingly faster than dark, though i think having it slower is better.
    Yes? Mana doesn't do much mechanically. I suppose you could say removal of it sped up mage combat because you don't need spice or waiting around, but my comment was in relation to the claim the DeS and DkS were drastically different based on watching videos of what I assume was melee combat (most people use melee).
    Also, I said MAIN differences, roll weight and animations which don't do much to effect mechanics aren't that important.

But I'm not trying to argue differences, I'm just saying that DeS & DkS are almost identical in how they play (they are) so claiming the video of DkS2 looks more like one or the other is irrelevant, especially when the guy's only experience with DeS is watching other people play it.

What weapons did you use for DeS and DkS? I can kind of get the "kung fu" since most combos looked better, but it's still just about equally as slow as DkS. You don't (or at least didn't), have to anti-backstab strafe for ten minutes in PvP, and a few weapons (the pole arms) were faster, but the actual combat is about the same.

All I can really think of to explain your speed claim is the fact that monsters in end game DkS are much stronger than end game DeS, meaning they take more hits (and therefore you may take a slower more cautious strategy against them). But that's not a change to combat speed, it's just a change to the difficulty curve.

Last edited by Liudeius on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Frank_White wrote:
    alchemydesign wrote:Okay, I was gonna make my own thread but several items are addressed in this one...here goes...

Firstly, yes, he switches through like ~3 weapons without a menu popup and that is freaking great.

Secondly, I don't think "Drop stone of healing" is the name, I think that refers to the square to the right of the item slot meaning if you move it to there you can actively drop the item in the slot which yes, is freaking great.

I read someone else's post in a diff thread about it looking cartoony...all i got for that is...W-T-F...it looks beautiful, the skin on the thing that breaks the wall is amazing...and honestly...IT BROKE THE WALL! I hope more enemies do this as well as react like the turtle things that fall backward <3.

Now, for the story itself. I believe this IS indeed a prequel, but one set in the time of the wars against dragons, he says that the building you are in was for experiments on dragons...who do we know that likes to experiment? Seath, that's right!

Also, I don't believe we will be playing a human, or even an undead. Looking at the HUD with the "celestial" sort of thing in the left corner I believe we will be playing one of the god's minions (Velka's perhaps? Feather scene anyone?). We can also see this in that we will be using stones to heal rather than estus...who uses stones? The Gods...i.e. titanite!

Personally, I cannot freaking wait, I'm so damn excited I actually squealed like a little girl when I seen the vid. Count me in for pre-ordering!

Lol really? "Who do we know that likes to experiment?" and I'm thinking you're about to say something smart and then you blurt out Seath.
    The game doesn't take place in Lordran so no Seath. Let me guess, you didn't read the item descriptions in-game? Because there is someone who likes to experiment on living beings more than Seath, that is Arstor, Earl of Carim.
    Also we are playing as a human undead, this has been confirmed immediately after the first trailer.

Wow, just wow...yeah they have a few item blurbs, but they have nothing on Seath who is behind Pisacas, Moonlight Butterflies, even stole Orb of Immortality, and not to mention the father of Crystal Magics.

Also, as far as Gwyn not having any rule over outside land...if you played DkS you'd know that ALL the land was basically void being only Archtrees and Dragons, Gwyn was the first recipient of the Lord Souls he and his took out ALL the dragons...Lordran isn't a land, its simply a place of the Gods, much like Mount Olympus was home to the Greek Gods and not the whole of Greece. Nice try though.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm

The lack of poise, fast roll at 50%, animations style, and magic system make them play very differently actually.

Although I will say I'm very glad they kept the poise system, it was one of the aspects I dislike about Demon's. Some claim it was better since armor was cosmetic so you only picked which armor you thought looked best.

I liked the look of the heaviest armor in the game though so I couldn't look like I wanted without being at a disadvantage. Not to mention it made armor feel pretty worthless. I found myself often going through Demon's Naked for most of the game.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Other than trailers, we haven't actually seen Dragons, guys. The Skeleton was the closest thing.

The ones flying around the castle/bridge were Hellkite Drakes, like the one in the Parish silly
    Cartod
    Cartod
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cartod Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Slarg232 wrote:Other than trailers, we haven't actually seen Dragons, guys. The Skeleton was the closest thing.

The ones flying around the castle/bridge were Hellkite Drakes, like the one in the Parish silly

What's with that species and bridges?

It must be some kind of fetish they have.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm

They are the Trolls of Dark Souls; Can't cross the bridge if you don't pay the toll!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Things I liked:

-- Some of the zones looked really cool

-- Chariot hit and run was hilarious

-- Monster breaking through wall was very impressive

-- Giant axe to the head OHKO

-- Seemingly more than 2 weapon/item slots per hand

Things I didn't like:

-- Some of the player movements and actions seemed too "light" and cartoony, both combat/movement and when he fell off the cliff and spiralled oddly on the way down

-- Weird dark circles around character's big blocky feet that were distracting and made the character model seem cludgy and unfinished

-- Torches

I also kept having weird Dragon's Dogma flashbacks during a lot of this, which I'm not sure is a good thing. Characters in that game are definitely not as agile or fluid as Dark Souls, even with various agility skills/attacks emphasized.
    Cartod
    Cartod
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cartod Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Slarg232 wrote:They are the Trolls of Dark Souls; Can't cross the bridge if you don't pay the toll!

The Troll Toll
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

befowler wrote:Things I liked:

-- Some of the zones looked really cool

-- Chariot hit and run was hilarious

-- Monster breaking through wall was very impressive

-- Giant axe to the head OHKO

-- Seemingly more than 2 weapon/item slots per hand

Things I didn't like:

-- Some of the player movements and actions seemed too "light" and cartoony, both combat/movement and when he fell off the cliff and spiralled oddly on the way down

-- Weird dark circles around character's big blocky feet that were distracting and made the character model seem cludgy and unfinished

-- Torches

I also kept having weird Dragon's Dogma flashbacks during a lot of this, which I'm not sure is a good thing. Characters in that game are definitely not as agile or fluid as Dark Souls, even with various agility skills/attacks emphasized.
    Re-watch that part, we can finally sprint away while locked on!
    bosslugger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by bosslugger Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 pm

jimmyc0341 wrote:I don't know how to feel about the demo. Don't get me wrong I love the graphics and the game looked absolutely beautiful but i have some concerns. I didn't see a Humanity bar so I wonder what the deal is with that, also the healing stones look weird to me, I don't know about sacrificing a shield for a torch. It was one thing in Tomb of Giants but that was more than enough for me. hopefully you only need a torch for that part of the level but I doubt it. Also I'm going to get some hate for this but it looks more like Demon SOuls than a Dark Souls sequel/prequel etc. I never played Demon Souls but I've watched a million playthrus on Youtube and Im just not feeling demon Souls. I think dark Souls is a much better game imo but we've only seen a small part of Dark Souls 2 so I will wait before I make anymore judgements

Well, keep in mind they didn't show us everything. The accompanying interview said they are keeping things like estus flasks, so I'm not sure how the healing stone fits in, unless that's what they're calling an estus flask.

We never saw magic used at all, so who's to say there isn't a cast light spell that eliminates the need to carry a torch. It seems incredibly unfair to put you in an area where you're expected to fight without a shield or two-handed weapon.

Also, think strategy: there's always more than one way to do anything in Dark Souls. If it were me, I'd have baited the turtle-shell monsters back up the stairs to the light then swapped my torch for a shield. I see no reason why that's not possible. Tedious, but possible.

Yeah, it definitely has a Demon's Souls vibe to it, but trust me - that's not a bad thing. Go play it if you feel like it, it's super cheap right now and an amazing game. MUCH harder than Dark Souls, but also rewarding in its own right. Dunno if you'd find anyone for co-op, but try it and see.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm