Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
tonberryking01
AnCapaillMor
Werdax
Sweord
Lord Ivan
retro
Nybbles
Walter_White
User1
Dibsville
grossemesser
Dandy Dude
Latitoast
alchemydesign
DaemonNacht
Phoenix Rising
KrazykevS10
jimmyc0341
LunarFog
Dubscythe
Dogwelder
25 posters

My First Vagrant

Dogwelder
    Dogwelder
    Addicted
    Addicted

My First Vagrant Empty My First Vagrant

Post by Dogwelder Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 am

I recently started another playthrough of Dark Souls and last night I went to the underside of the Undead Burg / Undead Parish bridge and started shooting the Hellkite Dragon in order to get the Drake Sword. From my position, in the distance I could see the tips of some white tendrils sticking up at the Altar of Sunlight - something I hadn't seen before. I've seen a picture of a vagrant before, though, so I was pretty sure what it was.

I got the Drake Sword, went to the Altar, and sure enough, there was the vagrant. For a while I watched the little bugger walk around and swipe at me with its claws, until I eventually killed it and received 1 humanity. I've since checked the wiki to learn that the type I encountered was the white evil vagrant.

It was very cool to come back to Dark Souls and encounter something new, even if it did make me think about what a missed opportunity the vagrants are in terms of enemy design - the concept behind them is great, but it would have made for a much more interesting and exciting encounter if the vagrant had actually been a dangerous and more visually impressive enemy. We'll see if DSII delivers anything along these lines.

I'm on my third created character and have racked up nearly 200 hours of playtime in total, so I'm pretty pleased with having encountered a vagrant, given I've read posts stating how some players have played for a lot more hours than this and still haven't encountered one.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

My First Vagrant Empty Re: My First Vagrant

Post by Dubscythe Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 am

Dogwelder wrote:
    I'm on my third created character and have racked up nearly 200 hours of playtime in total, so I'm pretty pleased with having encountered a vagrant, given I've read posts stating how some players have played for a lot more hours than this and still haven't encountered one.

No kidding, probably have near 1000 hours over both the Xbox and PS3 versions and still no vagrant.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm

I'd say I played anywhere from 1500-2000 hours since dark souls was released and I've only seen 3:

The most recent was in someone's world when I invaded him in oolacile township

The 2nd was when I invaded someones world in anor londo

the first one I saw was in my own world by the sunlight statue.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Do the vagrants have crab claws?? I ran into the weirdest thing in Lower Undead Burg where this weird bubble thing w/crab claws and a bubble tail(I think?) walked around. It looked like a glitch and I got a picture of it w/my camera phoneMy First Vagrant Get-attachment

Is this a vagrant??
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Sorry I didn't know the image would be that big
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm

I once saw a red or black vagrant down in the New Londo ruins near the gate with the drakes.I was really surprised to see it,haven't seen once since though.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 pm

jimmyc0341 wrote:Do the vagrants have crab claws?? I ran into the weirdest thing in Lower Undead Burg where this weird bubble thing w/crab claws and a bubble tail(I think?) walked around. It looked like a glitch and I got a picture of it w/my camera phoneMy First Vagrant Get-attachment

Is this a vagrant??

Can't see the pic but by your description...yes it was a vagrant.
    DaemonNacht
    DaemonNacht
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DaemonNacht Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Vagrants are quite magical to see in Dark Souls. In my 400ish hours, I've only seen two of them.

My first time I remember, I was going from Firelink shortcut to the Undead Parish blacksmith and ran past the firekeeper alter when all of a sudden I had a bunch of spikes shoot into me, It freaked me out because I had no idea what was going on. :p

The second one I saw was at the top of the Anor Londo great hall. Same thing happened, running to the blacksmith and having spikes sticking out of me suddenly.

It's sad they aren't more common, the little things are fun, but I suppose their rarity is part of what makes them so special.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm

im going to start using bunches of humanity and collect souls and just die and not collect the souls, my mission? to spread vagrants over all the lands. lol
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 am

Never seen a Vagrant.

To be honest I had to look them up the first time I heard of them, because I've never even heard of one before.
    Dandy Dude
    Dandy Dude

Post by Dandy Dude Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 am

saw my first vagrant with my first char while vistiting the parish for the first time in front of the altar, almost died to it ^^

several hundred hours later in the tomb of giants

and the third in the abyss on the spot the dark magic witch normally guards the bridge to manus (dont know the english name for it)
    grossemesser
    grossemesser
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by grossemesser Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:19 pm

The altar in the Parish is prone to vagrants. I have seen a few there.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:41 pm

So how do Vagrants come about? Why do they appear? Are they a glitch?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:47 pm

I have only seen two vagrants ever, in somewhere around 5000 hours of gameplay.
    My first was in the Undead Parish, I was doing my normal run to the Parish bonfire starting from the elevator, (this was before the warp was added), and I noticed some sort of arrows come out of nowhere. I looked over and saw some crab thing shooting bubbles at me. I killed it and moved on.

My second vagrant was when I actually knew how amazingly rare they are.
    I was in the Duke's Archives doing some natural invasions and I was on a loss streak. When I spawned back at the bonfire I moved around a bit and I was attacked by a familiar looking bit of arrows.
    I kept that vagrant alive for as long as I could.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I have only ever seen one vagrant in about 2000 hours. It was right outside Sif's gate, and it was an evil one. The only way I actually found it though was when I thought there was an item in the distance, when it turned out to be a vagrant, I sh*t it, and spammed every attack I had. :oops:
    DaemonNacht
    DaemonNacht
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DaemonNacht Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Dibsville wrote:I have only seen two vagrants ever, in somewhere around 5000 hours of gameplay.
    My first was in the Undead Parish, I was doing my normal run to the Parish bonfire starting from the elevator, (this was before the warp was added), and I noticed some sort of arrows come out of nowhere. I looked over and saw some crab thing shooting bubbles at me. I killed it and moved on.

My second vagrant was when I actually knew how amazingly rare they are.
    I was in the Duke's Archives doing some natural invasions and I was on a loss streak. When I spawned back at the bonfire I moved around a bit and I was attacked by a familiar looking bit of arrows.
    I kept that vagrant alive for as long as I could.

Same exact situation and place for my first vagrant. I was quite sad after I killed it and looked up what it actually was.

My second one I didn't ever want to kill, But sadly, needs must at times.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

Hi,

yesterday i saw my first vagrant....and the damned white phantom killed it at once :roll:

Was building a new char and on my way down to 4K in human form, to have some fun on the way. I have never done the 4K with summons (the kings spawn too fast with summons, and if they are crap i'm screwed) but on the first round platform i saw a wss and tried it. That char had good stuff, so i risked to summon a crap phantom and fight the 4k alone with faster spawn just for the challenge.

When we came to boss fog (i was first, the phantom was trying to hold step with me, while i OHKO everything on my way) on the place where the witch summon sign is usually a little vagrant sat there shooting some strange arrows at me, doing nearly no damage. I was like wow, hurra, let's have a closer look....when the phantom manged to get to boss fog, makes his first attack and OHKO the vagrant - great work, boy....

Will i ever again summon someone just for the fun of co-op? don't know

Well he got the Abysswalker Ring, but was of no help in the bossfight, he made it harder. Never got more than one of the Ganker Kings, here i got 3 at the same time in one situation, but managed it.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am

i've seen a few vagrants, two in the burg, one in in the parish and one in the blight town swamp.

the most recent one i saw, well i didn't actually see it cuz it one shot me with a cluster of those crazy blue bolts before i even knew it was there, but anyway. i was clearing out the New Londo Ruins on my way to solo the 4 Trolls at level 12 and i was finishing off the last darkwraith when i hear this "kapow" then a "kablewy" followed by "ugh" and then "you died". that's when a black phantom vagrant came meandering out from around the corner where you summon beatrice. i lost 67 humanity and close to 400,000 souls because of that thing.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am

jimmyc0341 wrote:Do the vagrants have crab claws?? I ran into the weirdest thing in Lower Undead Burg where this weird bubble thing w/crab claws and a bubble tail(I think?) walked around. It looked like a glitch and I got a picture of it w/my camera phoneMy First Vagrant Get-attachment

Is this a vagrant??
    Hey I can't get the picture to load. I would like to see it... do you think you could try uploading it to imgur (easy, doesn't require creating an account) and posting it again?

My hypothesis is that the Evil Vagrants are created by other players losing a large amount of humanity, while the Good Vagrants (which seem to be much rarer) are created by other players dropping and abandoning certain items.

This is based on how the manual says that Vagrants are created by players losing a lot of humanity and also dropping certain items-- the only real information we have about their cause for appearance. But I'm fairly confident the Evil ones correspond to humanity and the Good ones correspond to items, because the Evil ones only drop humanity items (white evil always drops 1 humanity, red evil always drops 1 twin humanities). The Good ones only drop various items/ consumables.

It would make the most sense if the two 'known' causes for creating them corresponded to what they're dropping in a logical way like that.
    Lord Ivan
    Lord Ivan

Post by Lord Ivan Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 pm

1000+ hours. No vagrant.
    Sweord
    Sweord

Post by Sweord Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I saw a Vagrant on this, my first playthrough. I had died two times, I think, trying to get past the Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo. This time, there was this shiny thing on the last walkway/bridge before you can get to either archer. I, having never even heard of one (and considering its rather inconvenient position), proceeded to kill it. I ran past it to try to avoid the archers, but managed to catch a glimpse of something shiny.
    Look Skyward
    Going back for the Twin Humanity was my undoing....
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:40 am

Through my 600 hours, I've seen five I believe.
    Two in the achieves, one good and one white evil.
    Another good one in the depths, just outside of the gaping dragons arena.
    I saw two red phantom vagrants in New Londo, within an HOUR. I was running through with my SL1 on NG+6 at that point, so they pretty much kicked my ***.
    And the last vagrant I saw yesterday in Undead parish.

I am sort of pleased with the amount of vagrants I have had the honor to spot (And in most cases, kill)
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 am

Sweord wrote:I saw a Vagrant on this, my first playthrough. I had died two times, I think, trying to get past the Silver Knight archers in Anor Londo. This time, there was this shiny thing on the last walkway/bridge before you can get to either archer. I, having never even heard of one (and considering its rather inconvenient position), proceeded to kill it. I ran past it to try to avoid the archers, but managed to catch a glimpse of something shiny.
    My First Vagrant 2707236321

Christ that's just plain mean.

Bumped into a vagrant last night, threw him out and told him get a job you hippy.
    tonberryking01
    tonberryking01
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tonberryking01 Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 pm

I just started a new character. I run down to New Londo, going for the firekeeper's soul, when I see the red glint of a darkwraith from around a corner. Very confused (I'm hollowed and saw no warning of an invasion), I figured it was a hacker or something. Then an attack I've never seen: some weird spray of homing crystals comes at me. I dodge it, get a little closer, and see some weird crab-looking thing. surprised confused

I still figured it was some weird mod some invader was using for fun. I didn't want the ghosts to kill me from behind, so I lead the crab back to the wooden bridge and kill it. It drops a twin humanity. I googled it and found out it was an actual, extremely rare enemy called a vagrant.

Now, hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game, dozens of characters, hours spent surfing the wikis, and now some time on this forum, I had never seen or heard anything about these vagrants. It makes me wonder if there's a lot I still don't know about this game. happy
    Dr__Awkward
    Dr__Awkward
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dr__Awkward Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am

almost 1000 hours in Dark souls and 0 vagrant. none. in the whole series I've only seen one. in Demon's Souls I saw one at the bottom of the elevator on the outside of Stonefang. To me the Demon's Souls vagrant looked so much cooler than the current design.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am