Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Stonedtrooper
ErrJon6661
Automancer
7 posters

Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death? Empty Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 am

Question in the title.
    And another thing is i heard that PW reduces your vitality based on certain percentage and not by a fixed value.
    I once saw a vid on some forest hunter using PW and RTSR but never died.

Is that true?
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death? Empty Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 am

The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Power+Within
    Stonedtrooper
    Stonedtrooper

Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death? Empty Re: Easiest method to activate Power Withtin and prevent death?

Post by Stonedtrooper Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 am

Fastest way to activate PW would be Symbol of Avarice/Dung Pie.

I remember seeing a sl1 playthrough with a permanent PW+RTSR combo too.
    My guess is that because PW drains health by percentage, you can completely negate the health drain if either your vitality/max hp is super low (maybe like 600hp or less?) or using a combination of Lingering Dragoncrest and low max hp with a form of health regen (maybe sanctus?).
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:47 am

Automancer wrote:Question in the title.
    And another thing is i heard that PW reduces your vitality based on certain percentage and not by a fixed value.

Is that true?
    That works in older versions of the game. They fixed it in either 1.05 or 1.06, I can't remember which. I think 1.06. It worked by stacking curse until you had 100 HP, then wearing sanctus. It'd drain 1 HP per second while Sanctus regenerated 1 HP per second, balancing it out.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:57 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

It drains 1% of your health per second.
    Adding Lingering does not lower the drainage, it only gives it 120 seconds instead of 100 seconds.
    The HP drain always rounds down, no mater how high the number is.
    For example, if you have 799HP, it will drain 7HP per second, leaving you with 99HP once the buff is over.
    Lingering just gives it 20 extra seconds, so it would drain 140 more, adding up to 840HP loss, effectively killing you as compared to teh once harmless spell.
    There is no way to negate any damage to you, although you can slow it down via Sanctus.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Automancer wrote:Question in the title.

Is that true?
    That works in older versions of the game. They fixed it in either 1.05 or 1.06, I can't remember which. I think 1.06. It worked by stacking curse until you had 100 HP, then wearing sanctus. It'd drain 1 HP per second while Sanctus regenerated 1 HP per second, balancing it out.

Will you still get the regen without the 18 Faith requirement?
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 am

I'm pretty sure you can still do it by stacking curse and dusk crown ring.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 am

FinPeku wrote:I'm pretty sure you can still do it by stacking curse and dusk crown ring.

Let's say if i had 594hp, if i were to use the Dusk Crown Ring, it would automatically out me into RTS range?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 am

If you halve your HP, your new HP total has to be at 20% as well.
    If you have 1000HP max, and your current HP is 200 for RTS, and you halve it to 500, you need to have 100HP in order to be in RTS, not 200.
    So Dusk Crown is only good for getting you closer to RTS, not putting you in it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 am

Dibsville wrote:If you halve your HP, your new HP total has to be at 20% as well.
    If you have 1000HP max, and your current HP is 200 for RTS, and you halve it to 500, you need to have 100HP in order to be in RTS, not 200.
    So Dusk Crown is only good for getting you closer to RTS, not putting you in it.

So looks like i will still require PW and Sanctus. Thanks.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 am

Quick question.

If i use the Dusk Crown and lower my hp to 20%, will i still retain that same 20% after i unequip the ring?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 am

You can not lower your HP to 20%, it will stop at 50%. If you're already under 50%, it will just stay where it is.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 am

So even if i had lowered my hp to around 20% after i equipped the Dusk Crown Ring, if i remove it, the hp will just rest back to 50?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 am

Your HP will not go up. If it did, that would just make it an infinite HP exploit.
    When you put on Dusk Ring, your HP is cut to 50%. If it is already there or lower, it will not be effected.
    Taking off the ring simply allows you to go above 50% again.
    Imagine a controllable curse, and you've got the Dusk Crown Ring.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:40 am

Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:The lingering dragoncrest ring is the only way to lower the hp drain effect and it also lengthens the duration of the buff.

It drains 1% of your health per second.
    Adding Lingering does not lower the drainage, it only gives it 120 seconds instead of 100 seconds.
    The HP drain always rounds down, no mater how high the number is.
    For example, if you have 799HP, it will drain 7HP per second, leaving you with 99HP once the buff is over.
    Lingering just gives it 20 extra seconds, so it would drain 140 more, adding up to 840HP loss, effectively killing you as compared to teh once harmless spell.
    There is no way to negate any damage to you, although you can slow it down via Sanctus.

Objection! Lingering Dragoncrest DOES decrease the damage, both the damage per second and the total damage! It causes the damage 1% damage to happen with more time between each tick, and also reduces the amount of ticks. Regular PW ticks 101 times, extended PW only ticks 99 times. I tested it with 1500 hp. Regular PW killed me, extended PW left me with 15 hp.

Edit: Also, Lingering extends by 50%, not 20%

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:37 am