Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Serious_Much
undead lee
Whknight
LittleLuden
8 posters

Contradictory information on ds-sequel

LittleLuden
    LittleLuden
    Casual
    Casual

Contradictory information on ds-sequel Empty Contradictory information on ds-sequel

Post by LittleLuden Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am

i was just bothering google a bit for some information on (and if) it goes on with dark souls. i found one site that said there will be a sequel, to be published the 2nd quarter 2012 (so very specific and most likely untrue), others state there will never be one, cause of certain problems at from. both information come from german sites.

does anybody know anything?

Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Contradictory information on ds-sequel Empty Re: Contradictory information on ds-sequel

Post by Whknight Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:13 am

I recall an article that quoted From directly that, after apologizing for the technical issues of Dark Souls, said that if the fans want it they'll probably make it. Here is the article, http://www.gamespot.com/news/dark-souls-sequel-in-question-6349575
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Contradictory information on ds-sequel Empty Re: Contradictory information on ds-sequel

Post by undead lee Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 am

WHKnight - Just jumped to the article and the feedback speaks for itself.
    From Software were been far too hard on themselves EVERYONE dismissed the bugs and paised them for a magnificent game.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 am

To be fair I think that it helped Dark Souls that it was released almost in unison with Skyrim, it's bugs and glitches paled in comparison so were never brought up and it's comparison got fans of skyrim to buy it.

Things couldn't have gone better for FROM in my opinion, but the series deserved something to get it into the eyes or more people
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 am

Yeah seriously. Skyrim was unplayable on my PS3 in basic and fundamental ways. What From seems to consider bugs are things Bethesda would be crowing about as "Game of the Year Play"
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 am

befowler wrote:Yeah seriously. Skyrim was unplayable on my PS3 in basic and fundamental ways. What From seems to consider bugs are things Bethesda would be crowing about as "Game of the Year Play"

Befowler, I think that speaks volumes about which company care more about making a better game. The director of DkS even felt the need to apologise for things as menial as dead enemies dropping the floor and some frame rate issues.

As long as FROM keep making them, souls series is in good hands in my opinion with that kind of work ethic.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 am

befowler wrote:Yeah seriously. Skyrim was unplayable on my PS3 in basic and fundamental ways. What From seems to consider bugs are things Bethesda would be crowing about as "Game of the Year Play"
    But Skyrim is so much bigger its not even funny. idk about file sizes but there are many many more variables in skyrim and the engine can only barely handle things as is. What bethesda needs to do is (and they probably are) is spend a few years creating a new engine from the ground up rather than baseing each one on its predecessor. And From is a Japanese company and Japanese people are notoriously apologetic. wether or not its sincere is debate-able but apologising for any/ all errors, esp public ones, is generally expected. Its a long and involved explanation as to why so i'll leave it at that.

oh and yes, skyrims performance on the ps3 is deplorable. idk any technical details there though.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Skyrim was supposedly already built on a brand new game and graphics engine. It is also the only game I've ever returned for a refund. Not just PS3 games -- the only video game ever. I still have a cartridge for E.T. on my Atari 2600, so my standards are not exacting. It's also the only game that crashed to "desktop" on my PS3 and caused it to go into "recovery" mode and spend 2 hours rebuilding the file system to save itself. After 5+ years of PS3 gaming I didn't even know any of these things were possible until Skyrim.

I also have an Xbox 360. The only reason I even bought Skyrim on the PS3 given the debacle that was New Vegas was because their CEO gave an interview in which he said it would be just as stable as on the Xbox. So not only are they incompetent, they're also liars.

Don't want to derail completely, so I'll just say that I would love more sequels from From, as their games are subtle and sublime storytelling despite (and in many ways because of) the brutal difficulty and harsh themes. They also seem to actually care about the reputation of their products.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:oh and yes, skyrims performance on the ps3 is deplorable. idk any technical details there though.
    they lied. the bethesda engine has never worked properly on the ps3. it barely works on the xbox. and its 'technically' a new game engine but like 80% of the coding is identical. thats how its been with bethesda this whole generation. i'm not saying the problems are justifiable, i'm saying, from a technical standpoint, that as of now, the way they have to set it up for the game to run, trying to fix those problems would double the dev cycle and kill sales (and they'd still miss/be unable to fix a bunch). thats why the release it after the shorter cycle and major debugging and do what they can with patches.

did some hunting though and i haven't heard anything about a sequel so, while i want a new souls, i wont get my hopes up.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Pirate, the game has only been out for 5 months... It still isn't known if there will be any DLC or not let alone a sequel silly
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I hope they do something, they have strong support for more work and if they don't follow up may lose their chance. I suppose one of their most dreaded concerns is, overtopping Demon and Dark Souls. May seem kind of silly but some people do care.

Honestly since we haven't seen a patch note in awhile, I feel they are up to something.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:35 pm

I've been reassured by their continued server support for Demon's Souls. I love the game, but frankly they'd be justified shutting the thing down to focus on Dark Souls. Instead they keep extending it (now through end of 2012 at least, last I heard). This gives new players a chance to go back and experience it, and just really shows a lot of pride and commitment imho. They basically acknowledged that despite the bump in sales due to interest after dark souls, they're running Demon's Souls servers at a loss in terms of maintenance costs, but want to keep them up as long as they can.
    sethdallen

Post by sethdallen Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 pm

they're running Demon's Souls servers at a loss in terms of maintenance costs, but want to keep them up as long as they can.

reminds me of Turbine and their game Asherons Call. the game came out in the late 90's, never had more than a few hundred thousand players, and the servers are still up today with no more than a few hundred playing at peak times on any one server. Turbine created the best MMORPG to date with AC, the fans know it, and they know it, so servers are still up. happy
    Dark75Messiah
    Dark75Messiah

Post by Dark75Messiah Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:15 pm

I'd love a sequel though it's early days yet. I'm still enjoying DkS and I've bought a PS3 recently and a copy of demon Souls to go with. Cant wait to try it out once I'm finished with my playthrough of DkS.
    sethdallen

Post by sethdallen Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd love a sequel though it's early days yet. I'm still enjoying DkS and I've bought a PS3 recently and a copy of demon Souls to go with. Cant wait to try it out once I'm finished with my playthrough of DkS.

I hope you enjoy Demons Souls!
    Dark75Messiah
    Dark75Messiah

Post by Dark75Messiah Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:22 pm

sethdallen wrote:

I hope you enjoy Demons Souls!

Thanks. I intend to go into it blind, because I watched a lot of dark Souls vids before playing and they helped my experience. I want to see how hard Demon Souls is lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:53 am