Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Ichikuro
Odinbear
Marionx
Rynn
Gambs_the_Grey
AnCapaillMor
Ghadis_God
ExplodingPenguin
Micha369
14 posters

upgrading light armor - does it pay?

Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

upgrading light armor - does it pay? Empty upgrading light armor - does it pay?

Post by Micha369 Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 am

Hello folks,

I have already upgraded my main weapon and my shields and still have a lot of souls left.
    I have Pyro Flame +15 and a nice Pyro spell. So what to do with all the souls? I don't want to increase my sl too fast but I don't want to loose all my souls in a moment of bad luck either. So I want to invest them in better equipment.

My char is a dex oriented one at sl 64 (ng). At the moment I have no problems in the Archieves and I just did Sif and Four Kings (w/o co-op help) and it was relatively easy.
    One of my goals is to have a nice build for pvp in the Darkwood Forest or Oolacile City.

At the moment I wander around in the Crimsos set that is upgradable. My intention is mostly to stay below 25% of max. load.

Does you have a few recommendations on what I could do to efficiently improve my equipment?

Many thanks for your help!

best wishes.
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

upgrading light armor - does it pay? Empty Re: upgrading light armor - does it pay?

Post by ExplodingPenguin Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 am

Well, light is a lot better for dodging; especially for bosses like Kalameet where regardless of armor you wear you're gonna get pwn'd more often than not.

When I choose to go light, I usually wear the Gold-Hemmed black-robe Hood, the Lord's Blade chest and gauntlets, and either black-iron or Kirk's leggings. Things with blood-resistance is good while pvping as a lot of people have the Lifehunt scythe, and the gold-hemmed outfit has one of the best resistances to that, as well as poison and toxic.

I would also recommend the Wolf Ring, just to help prevent getting punched off your feet and staggered by everything. Or at least wear poised gauntlets or leggings of some sort.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

upgrading light armor - does it pay? Empty Re: upgrading light armor - does it pay?

Post by Ghadis_God Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 am

The Crimson Set doesn't pay off in the end defensewise. Light Armor does get better when you upgrade it, I'd recommend the Maiden, Dingy, or Wanderer sets for the best light defense.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue May 14, 2013 5:32 am

Mix and match and try to get at least 53 poise for PVP(armour plus wolf ring combo).

Yeah it's worth upgrading, crimson is good but expensive to upgrade(twinkling titanite). Personally i'd beat the 4 kings, after that you should be able to get the witches set(by the exit of blighttown in valley of the drakes). They look look awful but the hollow soldiers waist cloth weighs 1.5 and has 7 poise(witch torso piece covers those nobbly knees), it upgrades via normal titanite.

Also get the pyro to ascended+5(the doll in the swamp will do that for you).
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Gambs_the_Grey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gambs_the_Grey Tue May 14, 2013 6:04 am

Black Cleric Robe, Black knight gloves, gold hemmed legs, dragon head peice = 2cool4school
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 am

Actually, Twinkling titanite is very easy to harvest after you kill Seath; the clams there are a very good source of twinkling if you have the gold serpent equipped.
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Tue May 14, 2013 6:16 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:Mix and match and try to get at least 53 poise for PVP(armour plus wolf ring combo).

Yeah it's worth upgrading, crimson is good but expensive to upgrade(twinkling titanite). Personally i'd beat the 4 kings, after that you should be able to get the witches set(by the exit of blighttown in valley of the drakes). They look look awful but the hollow soldiers waist cloth weighs 1.5 and has 7 poise(witch torso piece covers those nobbly knees), it upgrades via normal titanite.

Also get the pyro to ascended+5(the doll in the swamp will do that for you).

Does the witches set provide any poise? Wolf ring gives 40 so I need an additional 13 points of poise to reach 53 as you recommended.
    But I think light armor always have zero poise, right?
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 am

Yeah, no poise in light clothes, so putting on some medium/heavy leggins or gauntlets can help without weighing you down too much.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 am

If your pyro glove is currently +15, go down to blight town. Your best investment currently would be using the second pyromancer that appears down there, to upgrade your flame to A+5.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

My favorite light armors are the wanderer and dingy. They both have really decent physical defense and have great elemental defense, for their weight. However, they have 0 poise.

It's always good to mix and match, and if you are playing in later playthroughs, the fast roll can save you in many boss fights.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Tue May 14, 2013 3:05 pm

With all those souls, the AL blacksmith sells twinkling titanite if your going with an upgrade that requires the twinkling kind.
    Whatever your going with, upgrading is always going to be better than base. Just be careful when you get to investing rare titanites, make sure it's what you want before the final investment. You can get all pieces up to that final point and use each, or mix& match to determine which fits your toon better. Then when certain, use the chunk .
    Chunks can be farmed, but not easily.
    Ichikuro
    Ichikuro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Ichikuro Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 pm

You should get your flame to Ascended +5, tons of damage.
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 am

Hello folks,

Ichikuro wrote:You should get your flame to Ascended +5, tons of damage.

This is what I don't understand! I already have Pyro Flame at +15 (as I wrote in the first posting)
    What do you mean "Ascended +5" Is there a further upgrading possibility? Further than +15?

Yes, I just saw this! It continues after +15 with "ascended". How can I further upgrade this flame along the ascended path? Who is the teacher? Where is he?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Micha369 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed May 15, 2013 4:03 am

Yes. Quelana an NPC in Gold-Hemmed Armor (Grim Reaper outfit) further enhances your glove. You'll find her in the Blighttown swamp.
    Micha369
    Micha369
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Micha369 Wed May 15, 2013 4:32 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Yes. Quelana an NPC in Gold-Hemmed Armor (Grim Reaper outfit) further enhances your glove. You'll find her in the Blighttown swamp.
    That's great! So I can spend another 191000 bucks for the Ascended upgrades! Finally a good option to invest the souls wisely (and not only level boost).

Odinbear wrote:With all those souls, the AL blacksmith sells
    twinkling titanite if your going with an upgrade that requires the
    twinkling kind.
    Whatever your going with, upgrading is always going
    to be better than base. Just be careful when you get to investing rare
    titanites, make sure it's what you want before the final investment. You
    can get all pieces up to that final point and use each, or mix&
    match to determine which fits your toon better. Then when certain, use
    the chunk .
    Chunks can be farmed, but not easily.

Yes I already bought the best stuff from this blacksmith! Unfortunately he doesn't have titanite chunks in store.
    What I also could buy is humanity but that is not really possible!

Thanks!
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

If you're looking for chunks, there are two black knights, in the final area, that will always drop titanite chunks. The Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins sometimes drop chunks and very rarely a slab.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed May 15, 2013 4:23 pm

I find Logan's hat to be a great piece of light armor. 66.7 mag defense?

Hold up, son. Get this swag-tastic hat on yo' head, ditch that snapback, mah homie.
    PhlyingDutchman
    PhlyingDutchman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by PhlyingDutchman Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

The bare minimum weight to achieve 53 poise is 4.9, via the gargoyle helm, hollow warrior waistcloth, and wolf ring, if you don't mind looking a bit silly. Otherwise pick a single piece of heavy armor (probably legs/gloves) with at least 13 poise.

Upgrading armor to +5 gives about a 50% defense boost over +0, while +10 is closer to 100-150%. It may not seem like a ton for the lighter armors, but an extra 60 or 70 points of phys/mag/fir/lighting defense is more than the Ring of Steel Protection and the Speckled Stoneplate Ring combined.

If the armor upgrades with Twinkling titanite, I'll always bring it all the way to +5, since farming Twinkling from the clams is a breeze (or you can buy it from the Giant). With normal armors, I'll stop at +6 to avoid using chunks, unless I plan on wearing it frequently, at which point I'll bring it to +9. Using slabs to bring armor to +10 is a waste until you have all of the weapons you plan on using maxed out and have slabs to spare.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 15, 2013 5:11 pm

+5 Ascended pyrohand?...YES.

My favorite "light/med" armors:

-Hollow Thiefs Hood<--with red skin it gives you the best look in the game imo. Heck, all the Hollow Thiefs stuff is good.

-Dingy Robe and hands

-Wanaderer legs and hands

-Brigand Chest/legs/hands

-Black Leather boots

-Logan's Big Hat for style points. The legs are decent too if you can find something to cover up the "diaper".

-Solaire's chest/hands/legs are all fantastic for their weight.

*Imo, if you wanna roll light armor, get 6-8 poise for daggers and use a spear with that pyrohand.

***edit***

I'll never wear HSWC and some other stuff, even though it has the best poise to weight ratio. Its just my style though. HSWC is kinda op.

Also, thanks to the DWGR patch, the Eastern hands and legs have become a lot more viable.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

i'm more familiar with what looks good than what is the most effective and rarely upgrade anything that doesn't require twinks.

the light armor (that doesn't require twinks) that i wear the most frequently are: the wander coat (female), maiden hood and robe, black Leather set (male), tattered robe (female) and manchette. i believe that these are all worth upgrading even if i almost never do.

i also hear tell that the dingy robe is some of the best light armour in the game when fully upgraded.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed May 15, 2013 6:30 pm

It looks awful but the sage robe and traveller gloves have some impressive stats.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:05 am