Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Soris Ice Goldwing
Myztyrio
wretchedsausage
reim0027
Phoenix Rising
Walter_White
Zero LeStrange
Serious_Much
BrotherBob
UmbasaOtter
LunarFog
Encore
Samurainova
17 posters

How To Play Dark Souls

Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

How To Play Dark Souls Empty How To Play Dark Souls

Post by Samurainova Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

As well all know, dark souls is a game where everyone thinks differently. Dark souls is a game where each person is left alone in complete darkness, and must find their own path. Every player has their own set of morals, beliefs, and opinions on how dark souls should be played. I invite you all to share your philosophy, and to agree or disagree with mine as you wish. Although, let it be know that while I'm open to disagreement, it goes without sayin that it must be kept civil, an not escalate into something that must be put into the moderator hands. That being said, this is my philosophy on dark souls. That being said, here I discuss some of the most controversial topics in the game.

1. Backs tabs- More than likely the most controversial topic of the entire game. Backs tabs are something that every person in the game has their own thoughts about. For me, I feel that backstabs are a PVP necessity. Anything abused will always be bad, but used appropriately backstabs are a necessary part of the gameplay. For not for backstabs, people could do a they wish without repercussion, and the thought of keeping your back covered forces players to act more strategically and conservatively. Of course, their will always be those who wish to abuse the art of backstabbing, but you will always find those who abuse such powers all the same, whether it be backstabbing, magic, etc.

2. Magic- As well all know, magic can be a tricky subject, especially that involving the use of Dark Bead an the infamous wrath of the gods. These spells have made players angry more than almost any other, and I can see why. However, I accept these spells, because they are a part of the game. Of course they are spammed to often, and of course they can turn the tides of battle very fast. However, this is why I love them so. They can be use to take down gankers in a mirage of hilarious ways. They can give players without combat abilities a chance in battle. If you are having trouble with these spells however, wrath of the gods can be rolled past for a backstab, I timed correctly. The same goes for dark bead. I would highly suggest rolling forward for doging these spells, because rolling sideways can give you a chance of being clipped by lag spikes. Other than these, all other spells seem fairly legit.

3. Bowing- I personally now before every duel. Why? Because I choose to. I feel that bowin is a why to show your opponent respect, and it's my persoanl philosophy to respect all of my opponents, even those who hack. You donor have to bow by any means. I will not hold it against you whether you do or don't.

4. Hacking- While I generally am against health modders, it's always an exhilarating challenge to test your skill against someone with invincibility. It is because of these people that I choose to be wo I am, and even though what they are doing is wrong, they are still souls players and I love them all the same. I mean, come on, their cant be good without evil right? Other than that, I am also against modded armor that makes you near invincible. Smoughs armor plus fifteen.... That's quite unfair. As far as stats, some people may think they're hiding the all around 99 to all stats, but your not. Cloth armor and a broadsword does not cover up the stats. Even so it the skill that matters, and the stats aren't too large of a threat. Most don't even notice.

5. Ganking- I am very conflicted on this topic, because quite honestly I despise gankers. None the less while talkin to them I found that many are quite pleasant. Therefore, if the gankers are in the big forest, no harm no foul. If they are spamming the well what is it after they kill you, they are trolling, and must be dealt with accordingly.

That I all I will post so far. Tell me what you think an make sure you post and agreements and disagreements in a civilized manner, thank you.

Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

How To Play Dark Souls Empty Re: How To Play Dark Souls

Post by Encore Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm

It was very good post.

In PVE, you need to have patience, and understand that any build can be good if played right. Bosses will kill you the first times you do them, unless you´re really over leveled. Learn their patterns, dodge if it fits you, block if it fits you.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 pm

How to play dark souls like a pro and NOT like a noob:

1.) Establish a goal

2.) Do whatever it takes to accomplish the goal

3.) Don't limit yourself with extra rules you stupidly place on yourself.

This is the one true way to play without being a complete noob. There is no "this way or that way" garbage. If you give yourself ANY more rules than this, then you are a noob.
    UmbasaOtter
    Regular
    Regular

Post by UmbasaOtter Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm

LunarFog wrote:How to play dark souls like a pro and NOT like a noob:

1.) Establish a goal

2.) Do whatever it takes to accomplish the goal

3.) Don't limit yourself with extra rules you stupidly place on yourself.

This is the one true way to play without being a complete noob. There is no "this way or that way" garbage. If you give yourself ANY more rules than this, then you are a noob.

How to play dark souls like a pro:

1.) play however you would like.

2.) don't place any ridiculous notions on your self, such as, but not limited to "you can't be good with a moral code, or self imposed rules."

3.) (and this on is serious, and not just being a jerk to other peoples opinions) its not about weapon, Armour, or any other such item. It is about out thinking your opponents. You can beat a giant dad using your fists, if you are one step ahead at all times.

and on another serious note. When people tell you that you can not be good, if you abide by a moral code, they are lying. You can be just as good, with a little added effort ill admit, but it by no means makes you a "noob".

seriously people, telling people to play how they want, as long as what they want is utter destruction of all players does not make sense. If you want dominion over all lordran have a blast, what ever floats your goat. Doesn't mean i cant be good, slapping people around with my whip.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Backstabs - A terrific game mechanic in PvE and PvP. People who "abuse" (fish for) backstabs are easily punished. So, it's no problem. No need for any rules there.

Magic - Powerful, but most are slow. They can be dodged, avoided, and even blocked effectively if you've got the strength. I think it's great as it is. I know that buffs are another topic that bothers some. I figure that if people invested stats to use the buffs, let them use it. It might mean that they didn't invest as much in other stats such as Vitality and Endurance. No need for any rules there.

Bowing - I don't see any reason for invaders to not bow. Invaders lose nothing even if the host decides to bow backstab; it might be another story for the host to bow, however. The bow ensures that both the invader and host have the opportunity to prepare and perform at their best. If your opponent is not performing at their best, what satisfaction can you gain from winning?

Hacking - Ridiculous if you use it online. Offline, who could care less?!

Ganking - Essentially, some bad players that realized that they can't win any fight alone. Annoying, but a fun challenge nonetheless. This isn't something I care too much about because, if I run into some, I lose nothing but some time if I die.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 6:44 am

In my opinion magic has no place in a list of controversies.

I think it's shameful when people look down on others for trying to be interesting with their builds rather than using only melee.

I don't get it. It's okay to spam R1 playing melee but spamming magic isn't okay? Nonsensical.
    Zero LeStrange
    Zero LeStrange
    Casual
    Casual

Location : Puerto Rico, The Final weapon searching for the long lost hero

Post by Zero LeStrange Fri May 31, 2013 10:01 am

Backstabs - A necessity of the game for some. On the other hand, I find it incredibly boring. I'll never use it unless I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm more than happy to use it for PvE though.

Magic - Now this is something that's fairly new to me. But I'm liking it. It makes great work of PvE annoyances like titanite Demons (with which I have some trouble with.) And it's more than suitable in the field of the forest. Magic seems balanced. Above average damage but sometimes easy to avoid.

Bowing - It's a form of respect. I use it after every summon, invasion, or invadee. I respect all my opponents and fellow phantoms/hosts. If my opponents didn't bow then so be it. That's the way of this Dark world. You won't find me dashboarding or crying over getting killed. I was told to prepare to die. And I am.

Hacking - Offline: I give no fudges. Online: Where's the fun in this?

Ganking - It is what it is. It hasn't happened to me yet. I'd like to experience it. Hopefully be able to overcome it. But 3v1 rushing you sounds kinda harsh.

Last edited by Zero LeStrange on Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Makin' it purrdy)
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 pm

UmbasaOtter wrote:

Not sure if you're even trying to argue with me. I said "establish a goal", which could mean anything from "win against this player" or "Fight this player using a whip" or "have fun". Your "moral code", yes that's in quotes because I'm mocking it, should change depending on what you're feelin.

If you're stale enough to limit yourself to the same set of rules month after month without getting bored then go for it, you're boring. If you DO get bored but refuse to change, then congratulations, you're dumb.

Edit: And this isn't a lie. It's the truth. You can pretend to be good, and you might be better than trash so you think you're good, but with extra limitations you're making yourself suck.
    UmbasaOtter wrote:

Last edited by LunarFog on Fri May 31, 2013 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm

BrotherBob wrote:

Bowing - I don't see any reason for invaders to not bow. Invaders lose nothing even if the host decides to bow backstab; it might be another story for the host to bow, however. The bow ensures that both the invader and host have the opportunity to prepare and perform at their best. If your opponent is not performing at their best, what satisfaction can you gain from winning?

Invade - To enter forcefully as an enemy; go into with hostile intent.

You don't see any reason for invaders not to bow? Maybe because if they're an ACTUAL invader and not half-assing it, they're not there for a fair fight. They're INVADING your world to mess you up and kill you without any thought about any little rules you have. That's it. They don't bow because they shouldn't give a **** about bowing.

Leave all your mamby-pamby "honor" with summon signs. and MAYBE designated 1v1 spots like the Kiln, that area in Undead Burg, and the beginning of Township.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

LunarFog wrote:How to play dark souls like a pro and NOT like a noob:

isn't the correct term to derail a topic into a flamewar 'casul'?

Haven't we talked about respect in the forum and the way we want to discuss without insulting?
    ...idk - play your style, i play my style, thats OK for me
    But making a bible, what is noob and what pro....good luck with that

btw congrats - the first time i used the downrep button in this forum, for pouring oil in the fire....
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Fri May 31, 2013 2:07 pm

mmmmmmm.....salty. How To Play Dark Souls 180937120
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Fri May 31, 2013 3:29 pm

A moderator should lock this thread before something regrettable gets said.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri May 31, 2013 3:34 pm

I feel like the thread isn't exactly lost, one person got personal, another reminded them of their posting obligations to keep things objective and non offensive.

As the OP said, there's many ways of playing. I think he wished for a thoughtful discussion on ways we like to play and touch on the controversial topics of his.

I think I'll say I bow to everyone. Hell, I even sarcastically bow if I invade a ganking trio and just let them dispatch me. I have no patience for putting up a ganking fight any more.

Quite often ganking is done just because people find it funny, or they want to farm souls. There's other methods, but to a player with no kind of elitist value or code of honour it's a perfectly reasonable way of farming souls.

Unfortunately some people broaden the term 'ganking' to mean questers as well, which is incorrect. Ganking is with intent to farm invaders, it's your bad if you invade someone's world who is questing.

Another little point I wanna touch on, is it's funny to see but a lot of people claim to have 'no code of honour', but still principally look down on gankers. Just something to think about.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm

I personally like fighting gankers, it offers a change of pace from normal duels. BRING IT ON, CASULS! How To Play Dark Souls 3596227959
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 pm

1. Fight how you want to be fought.
    2. Everything is counterable, so nothing is OP or "Try Hard". The only exception is lag.
    3. Don't send hatemail. It just makes you look like you're prepubescent.
    4. Reread rule #1.

Ok, back on topic.
    1. Backstabs are fine. Lag affects everyone. Backstabs are very much counterable. So, instead of getting rid of them, focus on learning how to counter them

2. Magic is fine. It is easy to dodge. It is hard for them to unlock and hit you. If you get hit by magic, one of 2 things happened. You either made a mistake or your opponent was skilled enough to manually aim.

3. Bowing - in duels, bow before a fight and let your opponent get ready. Invasions - you can do the same, but don't expect your opponent to follow suit. I always bow after. Regardless of how they played.

4. Hacking that effects another player has no purpose in DkS.

5. Ganking. If in the forest, gank away. That is how the meta is, and it is great. Elsewhere, ganking is not fine. Play with skill.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 am

Walter_White wrote:

isn't the correct term to derail a topic into a flamewar 'casul'?

Haven't we talked about respect in the forum and the way we want to discuss without insulting?
    ...idk - play your style, i play my style, thats OK for me
    But making a bible, what is noob and what pro....good luck with that

btw congrats - the first time i used the downrep button in this forum, for pouring oil in the fire....

Alright...too many points to point out, so I'll just rapid fire.

I'm not derailing anything. Topic was "How to play dark souls". I told you how to play dark souls. Who is "we"? If you're referring to me and you, then I don't remember discussing anything with you, if it's you and the other members of this forum, then what does that have to do with me?(see that? It's almost like I'm following the rule) One downrep isn't even significant enough to point out. You'll have to downrep all my posts for 2 months like that last guy for me to even notice. I'm not making the bible on what makes a pro and a noob. It's already a fact and you not agreeing with it doesn't change it.
    wretchedsausage
    wretchedsausage
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by wretchedsausage Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:42 am

There is not a clear cut line between "pro" and "noob", and hence, skill levels and play-styles should not be designated as such. LunarFog, it is not your place to say what is, and what is not behaviour befitting that of a "pro". Everybody plays differently, and just because their play-style is different to yours, does not mean that it is inferior, or any less reasonable or effective. Suggesting otherwise is the height of arrogance, and at risk of offending you, I think that you should keep your bigoted views and opinions to yourself. In the same way you wouldn't insult someone for speaking a different language, you should not belittle those who enjoy playing a game in a different way to you. I'm sorry if you find this offensive, but you have only yourself to blame.

Now personally, I always bow when summoned by RSS, and bow once bowed to when invaded. When I am the one doing the invading, I never bow unless the invadee bows first, and I am confident that it is not dangerous for me to follow suit. After any fight, I always bow as a sign of respect, regardless of the tactics used or the skill level of my opponent. sadly for me, my skill level doesn't allow me to do this very often, but I try to be reasonable when I can.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 am

Luna- you're not stating fact. You're stating your opinion as fact and being unreasonably absolutist, that's why he's objecting to what you're saying

Frankly if you're acting like that lunar you're literally asking for down reps- it's obviously gonna upset people. Just try and make your posts a bit less abrasive I'd suggest and use more open minded language
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:56 pm

wretchedsausage wrote:

And why are you acting as if "Accomplish your goals" is some kind of unreasonable contract on behavior that's too strict for any sane person to follow?

Everyone has been so quick to point out their pretentious downrepping, yet no one has actually argued against any of my points really. For example:

"...Skill level's and play-styles should not be designated as such" - I never talked about skill level or play-style. Just mindsets.

Please, someone try to prove me wrong.
    UmbasaOtter
    Regular
    Regular

Post by UmbasaOtter Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:28 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    UmbasaOtter wrote:

Not sure if you're even trying to argue with me. I said "establish a goal", which could mean anything from "win against this player" or "Fight this player using a whip" or "have fun". Your "moral code", yes that's in quotes because I'm mocking it, should change depending on what you're feelin.

If you're stale enough to limit yourself to the same set of rules month after month without getting bored then go for it, you're boring. If you DO get bored but refuse to change, then congratulations, you're dumb.

Edit: And this isn't a lie. It's the truth. You can pretend to be good, and you might be better than trash so you think you're good, but with extra limitations you're making yourself suck.
    UmbasaOtter wrote:

wow, i don't know where to start. mocking my moral code of ethics is a bold move. whether i'm playing a game or in real life, i try to do it with class.

so i play your way, or i'm either an idiot or boring? another very bold statement i don't particularly like.

for your edit: first off, ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES! listen, it is absolutely unfounded to say people have to play your way to be good. you can be good while playing with no code, or limitations placed on your self to be sure, but i certainly don't suck because i like to cosplay for example (i suck because of intoxicants, and bodily limitations winking )

If you feel the need to personally attack me again, i would suggest personal message, and you were indeed implying many things about me. Which you know, is kinda lame.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:38 pm

To make things even better someone up voted that offensive post you quoted.

I cry for the members of this forum supporting people throwing insults around. It was a justified downrep, just because it's someone who got targeted by a downrepper doesnt mean even lunars bad posts should be uprepped Prostration
    UmbasaOtter
    Regular
    Regular

Post by UmbasaOtter Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Serious_Much wrote:To make things even better someone up voted that offensive post you quoted.

I cry for the members of this forum supporting people throwing insults around. It was a justified downrep, just because it's someone who got targeted by a downrepper doesnt mean even lunars bad posts should be uprepped Prostration

this is actually a funny story...
    i accidentally uprepped him, and then downrepped him to even the scale. but the uprep was my bad Shrug lol
    wretchedsausage
    wretchedsausage
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by wretchedsausage Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 pm

LunarFog wrote:
    wretchedsausage wrote:

And why are you acting as if "Accomplish your goals" is some kind of unreasonable contract on behavior that's too strict for any sane person to follow?

Everyone has been so quick to point out their pretentious downrepping, yet no one has actually argued against any of my points really. For example:

"...Skill level's and play-styles should not be designated as such" - I never talked about skill level or play-style. Just mindsets.

Please, someone try to prove me wrong.

Righto. I think we all know that nobody is suggesting the the creation or pursuit of goals is unreasonable. Rather, we all take issue with your idea that everyone must "Do whatever it takes to accomplish the goal", or forever be labelled by all as a noob. You are also suggesting that all players who don't create limitations are inherently highly skilled, and are much better at the game than those who do, regardless of experience, understanding of mechanics, time spent playing, or any other apparently unimportant statistics.

Also, you argue that
    LunarFog wrote: "...Skill level's and play-styles should not be designated as such - I never talked about skill level or play-style. Just mindsets."
    This is a lie. Choosing to limit the way you play is not a mindset, but most certainly a playstyle, and in some instances, is also related to skill level. By saying that anyone who limits the way they play is automatically a noob, you are insulting the playstyles and skill levels of a huge proportion of the Dark Souls community.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:01 pm

UmbasaOtter wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:To make things even better someone up voted that offensive post you quoted.

this is actually a funny story...
    i accidentally uprepped him, and then downrepped him to even the scale. but the uprep was my bad Shrug lol

lol thats jokes
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 pm

UmbasaOtter wrote:

wow, i don't know where to start. mocking my moral code of ethics is a bold move. whether i'm playing a game or in real life, i try to do it with class.

so i play your way, or i'm either an idiot or boring? another very bold statement i don't particularly like.

for your edit: first off, ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES! listen, it is absolutely unfounded to say people have to play your way to be good. you can be good while playing with no code, or limitations placed on your self to be sure, but i certainly don't suck because i like to cosplay for example (i suck because of intoxicants, and bodily limitations winking )

If you feel the need to personally attack me again, i would suggest personal message, and you were indeed implying many things about me. Which you know, is kinda lame.

Rule 1: Establish a goal
    Rule 2: Accomplish the goal
    Rule 3: Don't limit yourself

I'll skip all the insults if you can tell me which of those vague guidelines states that you should listen to how I tell you to play.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:28 pm