Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
barecanvas
strangejoy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
RANT
reim0027
befowler
10 posters

In praise of the Burg

befowler
    befowler

In praise of the Burg Empty In praise of the Burg

Post by befowler Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 am

So I and some of my sunbro buddies decided to create some high level sunbro antigriefers in the Burg. Plan "Ultra Superfriends Funtime Ok" went into effect over the weekend, and holy cow is the Burg awesome for PvP! The place is absolutely hopping at sl 110-120. As a host, at one point while standing on that big open area near the bonfire, I saw a gravelord sign, a dragon remnants sign, a red sign, a white sign, and a golden sunbro sign - all at the same time! Understand that I have over 250 combined hours on this game and have beaten it repeatedly, and this was the first time I had ever seen a gravelord sign OR a dragon remnants sign. To see them together was glorious. Naturally, this also marked my first gravelord invasion as well, although unfortunately I arrived just in time to see him defeated. Despite that, I saw more gravelord signs and "disasters gone" messages there that night than I had during the rest of my multiple playthroughs combined.

And the invasions! Top notch -- some truly impressive darkwraiths and DMBs. I had one fight that was balder side sword versus katana that started in the small room near the merchant, went all the way to the top of Havel's tower, and then BACK all the way to the bonfire before concluding (I lost). It was like a fencing scene from Captain Blood or something. And the level design absolutely sings when it comes to PvP. You have multiple open areas for standard duels, but also confined passageways and chokepoints for chases, and also numerous high spots for showering spells or arrows on people. At one point, a darkwraith had climbed up to the firebomb area and was dropping dragonslayer arrows on everyone, so I ran up the adjacent tower (with the archer on it) and started shooting down at him in return. Nearly every location has something nearby that can counter it. At the same time, a single player can fort up in numerous locations - such as on the rooftop where the throwing dagger corpse is - and hold off multiple enemies for a long time.

This was far and away the most fun I've ever had in DkS, and made PvP in the Kiln, painted world, and even forest seem boring and depressing. I don't know what else to say, just that if you haven't tried it yet you owe it to yourself to spend some time in the burg with a sl 120. As many know, you can keep Taurus alive by (among other things) going out Havel's door and looping around to the Parish via the bonfire near Andre. I plan to do this for every char here on out
    reim0027
    reim0027

In praise of the Burg Empty Re: In praise of the Burg

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I love the Burg for PvP. I usually have good fights there. And, at the right time, it is pretty damn busy. Busy enough to host randoms. I've made some PSN friends that way too.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

i must have crappy luck, i always get people fishing for backstabs there and most of the time everyone is lagging pretty bad.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm

ran into a guy who randomly gave me a quelaags souls and some other nice stuff!

so.. low level burg= %&$#%# but high level burg= "praise the sun!"
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Must have something to do with the time you're on, Rant.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Maybe we just got lucky, but it was like 3 straight hours (Sat. night, woo party) of pretty consistently impressive or even funny PvP. Plus we even had to hide our signs because we kept getting summoned by random people, which for a sl 120 in the burg is kinda amazing. Given the skill level of some of those invaders I honestly wonder if they had migrated in from the kiln.

I wish I had a screen cap of all those different soul signs together. It was really cool seeing all different covenants active in one spot like that
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:41 pm

What time are you playing?
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Burg 120 pvp is great. I've never gone there when there aren't at least two red signs. My only problem with it is that the "arena" (the landing to the right of the bonfire) is on the small side.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:20 pm

has any one tried undead rapporting the undead merchant mid invasion? might be anew tactic to try as either host or invader:twisted:
    barecanvas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by barecanvas Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Dark Souls on Xbox is sooo lame hahahah i never get invasions at the burg
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

reim0027 wrote:What time are you playing?

It was from about 10 pm - 1 am ET US on Saturday. Haven't tried since thanks to the PSN maintenance so can't say if it was outside the norm. But there were a lot of summon signs, and with the dried finger we were getting consistently invaded every 2-3 minutes by a good mix of darkwraiths and DMBs. Sometimes I would win or lose and then get invaded again before I could even run down and summon somebody.

The sunbro task force is going to try again this week, so I should know then if it's quieter on weekdays. Hopefully not, it was like a revelation last time to see what DkS is fully capable of. I really hope the gravelord is there again
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 pm

befowler wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:What time are you playing?

It was from about 10 pm - 1 am ET US on Saturday. Haven't tried since thanks to the PSN maintenance so can't say if it was outside the norm. But there were a lot of summon signs, and with the dried finger we were getting consistently invaded every 2-3 minutes by a good mix of darkwraiths and DMBs. Sometimes I would win or lose and then get invaded again before I could even run down and summon somebody.

The sunbro task force is going to try again this week, so I should know then if it's quieter on weekdays. Hopefully not, it was like a revelation last time to see what DkS is fully capable of. I really hope the gravelord is there again
    Those are good times - I've been there too at that time. As you get later in the night, then, more poise-stabbers and the like come out to play.
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I saw a gravelord sign there a few times the other day although not many red signs. I invaded but sadly the GL died to someone else before I could get to him 😢
    Unforseen
    Unforseen
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Unforseen Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm

ive hosted alot of random duels at the burg on xbox. It's fun and winner always gets to stick around. At times ive had phantoms up at the spawn point waiting for the duels below to be finished.
    barecanvas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by barecanvas Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Unforseen wrote:ive hosted alot of random duels at the burg on xbox. It's fun and winner always gets to stick around. At times ive had phantoms up at the spawn point waiting for the duels below to be finished.
    i always try to pvp at the burg and never any invasions lol ;(. I only got two invasions today. One was with a kid who believed turning his back and estus flasking was honourable, but retaliating with a backstab while hes healing was not. My other was some random who tried to dive attack me with his haberd hiding up where the fire bomb throwers were, then he got upset when i riposted him.
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm

The Burg is definitely jumping at the moment. I just finished my new 120 toon and went back last nite. Pretty much non stop invasions using the dried finger and some very good players too (plus a few of the usual ****). That little arena is a bit tight (esp when you run out of stamina and need to catch a breath!)although it is fun to go back and forth between there and the platform above the undead merchant.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

We tried it again last night and it was still pretty busy (this is PS3). No gravelord signs or dragon signs though, weekends are presumably better for that. Lots of red signs, though. We actually had a funny one where I triggered a red sign down in the dueling area, and then just when that guy arrived a regular darkwraith invaded up by the bonfire. I had a summon with me, so a 2v2 free for all then turned into two simultaneous 1v1 duels, one in the normal area, and one over on the platform atop the merchant. I killed the darkwraith in the main area, and the other darkwraith killed my summon on his platform. Then we turned to face each other - perfectly lined up - and then had a winner take all rumble to settle it (I lost, of course). Still, good times.

I'm tempted to start gravelording there myself, just to add to the fun. It is definitely better than the kiln now imho
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah - I'm on PS3 as well. I tend to wait for invasions now as everyone I summoned turned out to be a **** (see my other thread......)
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I was on last night. It was good. Many invasions and summons. No trolls. Occasional lagstabs.
    dominoboy
    dominoboy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dominoboy Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Ive been there yesterday with my sl126 character not knowing that on purpose I missed Taurus when I was surprised and scared too to see a DW had invaded me! He/she was very polite and we fought (I won of course). Then I stood there for some time summoning dark spirits, it was very enjoyable and the scenery/light is so great to pvp. I recommend that place a lot
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 am

just had a few good matches there myself; won three in a row, and the host dropped some titanite.

also landed my first successful parry/riposte in PVP. now i can die a happy man.
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:20 am

I was back there yesterday and got non stop invasions, again from some very good players. Except for 1 guy - A Darkmoon . I was practising parry/riposte with a rapier/target shield and the hornet ring and I got the guy on his 1st hit for a OHK, lol! He then invaded me again and just wog spammed me to death after trapping me in a corner. Typical DM.....winking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:56 am