Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Paladin Build Help

Atorimansea

Paladin Build Help Empty Paladin Build Help

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 am

Hey everyone, im trying to build a Character thats like a Paladin... Healing Miracles Heavyish armor and Faith Scaled Weapons. I have Tried Multiple times and to no avail. i do not mind mid rolling and i can farm any item thats needed. and can make a new character if needed as well. any help would be amazing. 

Thanks
         Atorimansea
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Paladin Build Help Empty Re: Paladin Build Help

Post by xenon_nobelium Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 pm

http://mmdks.com/33vl if you like cosplay. unfortunately stat distribution is suboptimal.
    http://mmdks.com/33vs this is what i'd do when taking the theme liberally
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Try this:

http://mmdks.com/33vn

Or if you absolutely MUST scale weapons on faith, which is inferior to the faith-buff sunlight blade:

http://mmdks.com/33vo

The divine xbow will chip and might be worth using anyway depending on your goals, though unfortunately no bolts do divine/magic stuff so it'll probably be weaker overall.

Armor is cleric set, which fits the theme.  Paladin Leeroy uses sanctus, so that fits.  Mace is the starting equip for the cleric and a perfectly plausible weapon on a paladin.

Wolf ring gets you an impressive 92 poise (1 more than full giants) and the armor is quite strong physically.  I recommend sunlight blade however since that is legit powerful and if you get the hitstun off the 2h (gets it vs most builds in 2 hits) and total 3-4 hits with SLB boosted mace 2h with its scaling you'll nearly kill people at the same level.  Chaining BS off that stun or pressing with WoG will finish.  GMB makes you laugh at spells and great heal's reason is obvious enough.

You can swap the spells around as needed; 30 faith is enough for almost all of the faith spells.  27 str gets you all the scaled damage you need while 2handing and really allows this build to get to 30 faith easily.  I've been using something similar, albeit slightly more min/maxed, to good avail even w/o the faith (will pick it up soon though).

Edit:

I forgot you could just wear the Paladin stuff, and it's functionally the same:

http://mmdks.com/33vw
    Atorimansea

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm

IS there a good Sword to use by chance with The paladin armor set one. not a big fan of Maces for the most part, and thanks for the help. and with Sanctus i swear i saw it takes 50 faith to use right, is that gonna impact it at all?

Edit: Nvm its 18 faith lol was thinking of the Grant lol. but i would like to use a sword.. to me its fits the Paladin tanky support theme pretty well. and i would like to try and get support spells so how would Sunlight Blade/Bountiful Sunlight/Aoe healy thing do?

Last edited by Atorimansea on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Looked up Sanctus)
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm

The Cresent Axe is pretty underrated imo.  Great range and poise damage.

The Effigy Shield is also GREAT for pvping a faith build.  If you meet the faith requirement, your stability is unaffected.

***edit***

Also, the Sanctus is really only good for Power Within or Karmic Justice imo.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Well yeah, but he's trying to role play.

Unfortunately, swords are either dex weapons (piercing swords and BSS) or C/C (most others).  You won't get good scaling on them no matter what you do if you're going a faith + str setup.  The reason I chose the mace is that 2h at 27 str gives the damage of a maxed (with diminishing returns factored) scaling weapon.  For example, if you took a broadsword and made it into a divine weapon +10 and 2 handed it, you'd STILL have a lower AR, and it would be split damage, unable to be buffed! 

You could use a manserpent great sword, which gets very solid str only scaling, but that doesn't seem very Paladin-like to me big grin.  Actually swords in general are a bit less pally-like than a blunt weapon overall IMO.

Still:

http://mmdks.com/33y4

I don't remember how much faith bountiful/soothing sunlight need, but if you go more in faith you'll probably want to just use an elemental sword.  Cutting vitality more than this will make you very frail.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm

The Cresent Axe fits the role play imo. Nico uses it right?? Or is it Vince...I think it's Nico...?

Or better referred to as the: "Ummmm dude".

Swords imo, don't really fit the paladin theme at all, like you said. I mean I've played paladins in other games that use a sword, but well....

...hell idk man. Shrug 
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:54 pm

He wanted a sword, so I gave him one lol.  Crescent would be a good choice too, especially because it can stunlock, but w/e he wants ^_^.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Zweh for sword??? idk.

I don't mean to suggest things the op doesn't want, but here are some more "paladiny" weapons:
    -Halbred
    -Silver Knight Spear
    -Giant Blacksmith Hammer
    -Lucerne
    -...uh....dangit!....its on the tip of my tongue....
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Zwei is heavy too, slower, and it doesn't scale as well as manserpent on only str (almost identical AR).  It does stunlock though and I suppose that stunlock would kill almost anybody who doesn't toggle out with sunlight blade, so heck if he wants to use zwei...
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm not discrediting the MSGS like you suggested though, that thing is crazy surprised 

In a weird way, I think the Zweh looks more like a Claymore than the Claymore does?!?!?! And for some strange reason "paladin" kinda says "Scottish Knight" to me...not sure why. Shrug 
    Atorimansea

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks lol ill stick with the Mace lol, and its not to RP. I just like to play Paladin type toons so that i can take a hit deal a respectable amount of dmg and heal and support people i play with. so with that in mind. one of the biggest reasons is a recent O&S fight i had.. was on my dex build and i summoned 1 person and i had killed solaire just because i could.. i sent the phantom a message saying lets kill orns first and smough last just to make it easier. im killing orns and out of nowhere smough wants to say hello with a giant hammer to my head and kills me with that running combo thing. so i went to try again and boom.... happend again differnt phantom lol. so i wanna make a Paladin type toon where i can hold a mob( which i have done on a caster as well so i can do it regardless) but when we are running to say Nito/Seath or any other boss i can help maintain the guys estus by using a miracle to heal us both or give a regen effect. Sorry for the long post lol.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Well, I hate to say it, but the Princess Guard miracles are a pain to get to work right.  Their casting times are VERY slow, and there's a radius your host has to be in to receive the affects.

Don't get me wrong though, a faith build is excellent for support.

-TWoP
     *Very handy for invaders, and does work on mobs (situational).

-WoG/Force
    *Nice for getting mobs away from the host, and also handy for invaders.  It can also act as a shield for just about ANY sort of attack.

-"standard heals"
    *These are cheap, and healing yourself will definitely help the host.

Please don't let me discourage you from the Princess Guard stuff, they CAN be used.  But from what I've heard, it's hard to get the host to "stand still".

***edit***

Vow of Silence and the Gravelord stuff is pretty good too.
    Atorimansea

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Animaaal wrote:Well, I hate to say it, but the Princess Guard miracles are a pain to get to work right.  Their casting times are VERY slow, and there's a radius your host has to be in to receive the affects.

Don't get me wrong though, a faith build is excellent for support.

-TWoP
     *Very handy for invaders, and does work on mobs (situational).

-WoG/Force
    *Nice for getting mobs away from the host, and also handy for invaders.  It can also act as a shield for just about ANY sort of attack.

-"standard heals"
    *These are cheap, and healing yourself will definitely help the host.

Please don't let me discourage you from the Princess Guard stuff, they CAN be used.  But from what I've heard, it's hard to get the host to "stand still".

***edit***

Vow of Silence and the Gravelord stuff is pretty good too.

Yea i wanna be a support but not just a useless support lol, i mean if they are that hard to use then i won't worry to much about them lol. So next question.. just upgrade the mace to +15 correct? or should i use anouther weapon? i like the attack speed of single handed weapons so please keep that in mind.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm

If taking strength to about 40 then yes +15.

That will also allow you to buff it.  Some +15 weapons with even a pine resin buff are very strong.

Just about any weapon will be strongest with a +15 upgrade, compared to an elemental weapon, and if you have invested a decent amount of stats for that weapon's parameter bonus/bonuses.

The only time it is recommended to NOT use the standard path, is when you only want to invest the minimum stats necessary to use the weapon, or are using a divine-occult / magic-enchanted upgrade path.  ie 10 or 12 strength for the mace (cant remember if its 10 0r 12).

***edit***

My wording there is kind of atrocious, so I need to clarify.

At 40 strength, take the mace to +15.

At 10 strength, and 30-40 faith, make it divine or occult (divine is more useful in pve).

***edit2***

If 40 str and 30 faith, make it +15 and buff it with pine resin or Sunlight Blade.

Last edited by Animaaal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Atorimansea

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:33 pm

so if im just keeping my str at 27 what should i do? i t\would think upgrade to +10 and use Sunlight Blade on it when i fight bosses and when i get invaded. I appreciate the help! big grin Oh and Should i try to level up VIT/END first or try to level equally?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Without more specifics its hard to say.

Use this website bud: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

You can use it to set your build up for pvp and/or pve. Truly an amazing tool. I feel kinda bad I've never made a donation.
    Atorimansea

Post by Atorimansea Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 pm

http://mmdks.com/342g
     Thats my current build Mace is +4 and Elite Knight Body is +5

Edit: I looked into the 2 Princess Guard things and yea not worth it to much, ill just stick with WoG and Sunlight Blade with heal or Greater Heal for haling myself. Just wondering how my build is coming so far

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:50 am