Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Yukon
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Maneater_Mildred
ARSP
berkut
User
Carphil
nsane32
Serious_Much
Tolvo
JohnnyHarpoon
Reaperfan
PlasticandRage
Forum Pirate
18 posters

Anyone care to explain?

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Anyone care to explain? - Page 4 Empty Re: Anyone care to explain?

Post by Reaperfan Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 am

Off the top of my head...Fullmetal Alchemist (not Brotherhood), Black Lagoon, Claymore, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (surprised I haven't heard more about this one here actually...), Genshiken, Soul Eather, GTO, Gurren Lagaan, Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple (or whatever translation you want to go by), D. Gray Man, the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs, Elfin Lied, Heroic Age, and of course the obligatory Death Note, Code Geass, and Dragon Ball Z.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 am

Reaperfan wrote:I don't get what's so special about Cowboy Bebop. I tried to watch it and it never felt coherent. Sure each episode was interesting and well made, but I realized there was a bigger story going on and each time it came on it never seemed to progress through it at all until what was obviously the last episode. I never understood what made it so much more special than any other sci-fi/action-oriented show I've seen.
    SPACE WESTERN. enough said. its really tough to descrbe my love for it past those words. ditto with firefly. The bigger story is stretched @ at times non exsistant because they're bounty hunters struggling to survive @ stay space worthy. It meant theres not always the time or money to look at a big picture.

& i love the claymore manga but i despise the art in the anime. never could watch it.
    ¬ brotherhood? You like dbgt too dont you? :/ winking
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:34 am

yay claymore! and every thing you listed but GTO and genshiken (haven't seen em)
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:39 am

There a character limit on my ps so sorry for double post. & no reaper i wont edit the @/& mistakes either. winking. But i don't understand the love for geass either, its like deathnote, with mechs. Oh wait, never mind i see it now. I am suprised though that i havent hear gundam wing, gundam unicorn, gundam of kahn, gundam strikes back or gundam alchemist lagoon yet though. seriously i cant be bothered to remember the names. i have a problem with being predgudice(spelled very wrong) though. Ex all the naruto fans i've met irl are really annoying so i've never watched it. inuyasha has the same problem. Am i really missing anything there?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:00 am

i can't stand the heroin of inuyasha... she gives me headaches...
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:22 am

Inuyasha = Twilight + Anime

That is all I need to know to stay away from it.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 am

Forum Pirate wrote:SPACE WESTERN. enough said.

¬ brotherhood? You like dbgt too dont you? :/ winking

Space + western =/= inconsistent in my eyes, and I'll be honest, is another turn-away from the series for me :|. Like anything + alchohol, to me they just don't mix winking. There's a reason Buzz and Woody represented two separate periods.

Are we sure we wanna get started on a FMA vs FMA:B debate? We've done a good job keeping this thread flamewar-free but that can get pretty touchy lol!

And what's dbgt? I'm sure there's no real show with that acronym for a name. Nope, as far as I know it doesn't exist :silent:

Forum Pirate wrote:Ex all the naruto fans i've met irl are really annoying so i've never watched it. inuyasha has the same problem. Am i really missing anything there?

Most Naruto fans who are willing to show it IRL outside of other Naruto fans are like Bronies who are willing to show it IRL outside of other Bronies; ie: they are very obnoxious about it. I was actually a Naruto fan for a good long while (about halfway through where Shippuuden is now is where I lost interest), but it just kept on dragging out with random filler spliced in at the worst moments and I gave up on it. Right now I'm relying on a friend who is reluctantly still reading the manga, praying for some closure to the story :|
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 am

LOL reaper I'm sorry to say there is something wrong with saying you like Claymore (I read it but I'm surprised it has an anime) and D. Gray-man and saying coherency is the issue with Cowboy Bebop silly D.gray is possibly the most incoherent manga I've read (still reading it still though anyways silly)

Also I'm gonna get started on the FMA:B defence, well not defence explaination. It is far better in terms of coherency and making sense (see what i did there? big grin) and the story in my opinion is better. I have watched both but I read the manga first admittedly, the style and approach of FMA:B is better and is great. The original anime.. Not so much.

Also Forum pirate, I understand the thing with code geass/evangelion/tengen toppa whatever as I just hate mecha in general, it's like the scum of the manga/anime world silly (Though I really enjoyed Pluto, but thats not really a mecha manga). And yes. Naruto fans annoy me and I've never bothered reading it either silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 am

Father, Hohenheim, and Greed are my defense of FMA:B, as well as the half of the anima that isn't exactly like the original one. It's very subjective though.

Cowboy Bebop is just a great mix if you ask me, it is a very well developed world however you don't have to sit their listening to exposition after exposition on the state of the world. From the character design to subtle hints in dialogue as well as the music you always learn what you need to learn. They hunt criminals in space, investigate illegal activities, and deal with their own personal issues. I personally hate anime, but that is one of the greatest series I've ever watched. Though I can say it isn't for everyone.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:56 am

Tolvo wrote:Father, Hohenheim, and Greed are my defense of FMA:B, as well as the half of the anima that isn't exactly like the original one. It's very subjective though.

Can I please just get it into people's heads that FMA:B IS the original one. silly FMA had the same early parts but changed so that it iddnt interfere with the Manga's progression. FMA:B is fullmetal how it truly is and should be. lol!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:57 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    Can I please just get it into people's heads that FMA:B IS the original one. silly FMA had the same early parts but changed so that it iddnt interfere with the Manga's progression. FMA:B is fullmetal how it truly is and should be. lol!

I know, I just meant that one came first as an anime, that's all I really meant by it. But looking back at my post I can see I did a very piss poor job of conveying it haha. And before I get a post about it, I know Greed and Hoh are in FMA, I just prefer the FMA:B version of them.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Serious_Much wrote:LOL reaper I'm sorry to say there is something wrong with saying you like Claymore (I read it but I'm surprised it has an anime) and D. Gray-man and saying coherency is the issue with Cowboy Bebop silly D.gray is possibly the most incoherent manga I've read (still reading it still though anyways silly)

Also I'm gonna get started on the FMA:B defence, well not defence explaination. It is far better in terms of coherency and making sense (see what i did there? big grin) and the story in my opinion is better. I have watched both but I read the manga first admittedly, the style and approach of FMA:B is better and is great. The original anime.. Not so much.

*cracks knuckles* Alright, here goes. It's not coherency that's the problem, its consistency. When it comes to CB, the western elements don't feel consistent with the futuristic setting for me, and that breaks my immersion into the world the show tries to create. And say what you will about Claymore or D. Gray Man, it was easier for me to want to keep following it when each episode developed the overall plot a bit more without going off into too many "random side-quest" ventures. This might be difficult to acceptably argue with between us though, since it seems you are looking at it from the perspective of the manga and I am going off of the anime.

I will start the FMA vs FMA:B discussion with what I actually preferred about Brotherhood, and I will agree with 2/3 of Tolvo in that Hoenheim and Greed were much better in Brotherhood. Both were fleshed out a bit more and felt more consistent (NOT read as "coherent" silly) within their world. I also really liked the involvement of other countries outside of Amestris, allowing for a better framework for the viewer to understand the actions of the military and government of Amestris, and adding weight to the actions of the corruption within each. I also like the explanation of where alchemy originates from better in Brotherhood, especially that there were separate practices with different sources of energy.

Now to my explanation on the original FMA anime, and yes I will still call it the original because when it comes to the two animes, it came before Brotherhood. I will start with the Homunculi. I feel it was a much more interesting link to the characters with their creation process in the first anime, since it allowed the villains not only to have more interesting personalities, but gave them room to grow as characters through their personal interactions with their creators, and even create moments of characterization for the creators themselves. The Brotherhood explanation only set them up as much less characterized villains and made them feel much more just like "the big bad's minions." Maybe if Father had been a more interesting Big Bad to want to hate then them being extensions of him could have made me care about them, but that leads into my next point. Father was a completely boring main villain. He was too powerful with too few weaknesses, and honestly a very boring motivation. Dante was less powerful, but this ties in with her desperation to continue living as her motive, which is much more relatable to me as opposed to Father's desire to become a god. Alchemy also feels more like a science in the original by providing much more explanation of the chemical processes behind the events, whereas by the end of Brotherhood it felt much more like a macguffin that allows the main characters to have magic powers. I guess I was trying to avoid a wall of text so I'll stop here for now, and will continue based on your rebuttals happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 am

Reaperfan, you go on TV tropes I take it from some of the wording you used?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 am

we watch dbz and soul eater, unique villians arn't really an issue. & there is a canon manga that go into a more detailed back story for some characters if i remember correctly. The villians arn't as fleshed out in fma true but i prefer the more detailed settings and context fmab provide. fmab is also told largely from the perspective of a narrator who follows the brothers almost exclusively meaning that you get less information on the villians because THEY have less information on the villians. and they know less because to ed the villians reasons don't matter, only their goals so knowing them isn't necessary, stopping them is whats important.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:00 am

Tolvo wrote:Reaperfan, you go on TV tropes I take it from some of the wording you used?

Yes. More than I probably should lol!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 am

We all go on websites too much haha.
    *Looks at the top of this page*
    I always found it entertaining to look up Dark Souls on there.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 am

Reaperfan wrote: This might be difficult to acceptably argue with between us though, since it seems you are looking at it from the perspective of the manga and I am going off of the anime.

I do believe this is the problem, I've been following them both now up to date for about a year and problem with it is from chapter to chapter it doesn't link well at all, where as in say FMA, they always let you remember what was going on, it was memorable and the chapters either polished off nicely after each one or linked well. But yes, I presume thats the difference between the two mediums silly

Anyways with FMA:B I wont quote any of your extensive wall of text but that's the way it was intended. The evil that surrounded the world was meant to be mysterious and unknown to all in it. The villains aren't meant to be fleshed out as much i believe.. The only one which needed it truly was homonculus, and his past with hoenheim i felt was done well. Others were done too such as wrath and greed was well done I thought. But to be fair there is no need to flesh out characters such as sloth who appear for no time at all, or gluttony who had virtually no importance in the grand scheme of things. I stand by the idea that the reason the villains were more 'fleshed out' in the first anime was because they were far weaker characters and ideas than the true villains. They weren't as stark and well created as the original villains were so needed more explanation (which was almost like an apology :|) and that proved to simply expose how they pale in comparison to the proper FMA characters. Anyways, thats just the characters, which aren't even the most inferior part. lol!

Just so I can know, who is your favourite character in anime/manga?

Last edited by Serious_Much on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 am

See I find that those characters really didn't have a lot to flesh out as he said, but they also didn't need to be. Sometimes there are just bad guys without an interesting past, if everyone needs five episodes talking about their tortured past I'm going to get incredibly bored as Henchmen number twenty two starts talking about the car wreck that paralysed his wife. There is definitely such a thing as cramming way too much story into something.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 am

Well I don't agree they didn't have things to flesh out, which were done so.. but I think that over doing it is a bad thing to do, and just makes an imbalance in the entire structure of the series.

A minimalist approach where only the important details are revealed was better in this instance, as the mystery of the homonculi was needed in the setting.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 am

^ The reason I like Dark Souls haha.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:41 am

true haha, a similar approach was in dark souls, though to be fair it's taken to the extreme with the lore of Lordran silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:42 am

And I absolutely love it for it. big grin
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:14 pm

I don't believe it.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:25 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I don't believe it.
    You butter.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Why did you bump this ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:29 pm