Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
steveswede
Sentiel
6 posters

New Info on Weapon Upgrade Paths

StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New Info on Weapon Upgrade Paths Empty New Info on Weapon Upgrade Paths

Post by StiffNipples Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/07/dark-souls-ii-hands-on-preview/

http://www.examiner.com/article/dark-souls-2-weapon-customization-and-upgrade-details-posted

Of note, VGRev says

Deeper weapon customization. You’re now able to combine poison and fire together on your sword as well as many different types of combinations.

Whereas Examiner (who's referencing the VGRev article) writes

In “Dark Souls 2,” players can now add two different elements together when they upgrade their weapons. One example that was used is being able to combine the effects of fire and poison. Both properties should provide lingering damages to enemies who are vulnerable.

Now I want to focus on this briefly: "Both properties should provide lingering damages to enemies who are vulnerable".

They way this is worded makes it sound like not only will poison be an upgrade path (rather than a resin, or maybe both) and that it will still be damage over time, but that Fire will be damage over time too.

I can't find any source for where they got this from other than the VGRev article, and it's most likely just be misleading writing, so I'm not putting much stock in it.

More importantly though, it seems that you can combine two elements. Whether there will be major and minor elements (eg Fire/Lightning as a major and Poison/Bleed as a Minor) to combine or whether it's just any two elements I'm not sure, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

New Info on Weapon Upgrade Paths Empty Re: New Info on Weapon Upgrade Paths

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 am

I'm afraid they only meant that you will be able to buff a weapon that already has some sort of effect on it.
    Buff a Fire weapon with a Rotten Resin for example.
    As for the lasting effect of fire, I guess we'll be finally able to set things and some enemies on fire and they'll receive burning damage, similar to Poison. It's definitely a better mechanic than the current bleed, so why not. It could be interesting to see how would being on fire react to actions like rolls.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am

Sentiel wrote:I'm afraid they only meant that you will be able to buff a weapon that already has some sort of effect on it.
    Buff a Fire weapon with a Rotten Resin for example.

Are you sure, do you have a source for that?

I'd just like some definite clarification, as their wording isn't the best and could be taken as either "you can apply two resins at once" or "you can resin buff an elemental weapon" or "you can apply multiple upgrade paths to the one weapon".
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 am

In “Dark Souls 2,” players can now add two different elements together when they upgrade their weapons. One example that was used is being able to combine the effects of fire and poison. Both properties should provide lingering damages to enemies who are vulnerable.

The first “Dark Souls” video game includes a weapon customization and upgrade element. You can use select items you acquired in your journey to add more effects to your weaponry. Among the categories that can be improved include higher attack power and elemental properties. However, they can only choose one effect over the other in the original title.

It makes it sound as if they talk about enchanting (buffing) weapons upgraded in other path than normal, Raw and Crystal.
    I agree, with this wording, it can mean many things. I'd rather go with this than for example being able to combine upgrade paths, because that could end up making weapons with multiple Aux effects, which could be super annoying in PvP.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:07 am

If this is true do you guys think some FromSoft developers sometimes come in here looking for ideas because this is something I pitched a while back.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t20195-dark-souls-2-weapon-upgrade-system-changes

I've seen other people's ideas (though not confirmed) been adopted in the game, like the removal of invincibility frames in parries or when it comes to DkS1 getting stuff nerfed like DWGR and Hornet ring which leads me to suspect that they do.  Maybe it's just coincidence but it would be pretty cool if they do take on board the community ideas.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

Coincidence? I think not.
    As it was proven by Dark Souls, FROM listens closely to the wishes of their fans. And since Fex is from Japan, who knows, maybe she secretly works for FROM. O_O
    Oh the conspiration theories...
    MikailArksot
    MikailArksot
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MikailArksot Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 am

Really? This is quite interesting.

Though I can just see it now, all over the forums from new players.

"OH MY GOD I GOT POISONED AND BURNED THIS IS TOTAL BULL I'M QUITTING".
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am

Pfffffff...

Posioned, Burned, Toxic'd, Plagued, Bleeding.
    ALL AT THE SAME TIME ON SCRAPING SPEAR!!!
    On SL 1 in starting locations of course.
    PierreSBK71
    PierreSBK71

Post by PierreSBK71 Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm

*Looks around*

...WE'RE BEEN WATCHED!
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Sentiel wrote:Pfffffff...

Posioned, Burned, Toxic'd, Plagued, Bleeding.
    ALL AT THE SAME TIME ON SCRAPING SPEAR!!!
    On SL 1 in starting locations of course.

Not everything, but i tried it yesterday on my SL32 in 1-3 and 4-2:
    Mercury Uchi +4 in left hand and baby nail +5 in right hand trying to get in bleeding, poison and plague...didn't worked, got nothing in
    so changed back to dual wield mercury uchi/kilij that works perfect. Most player i met in the last weeks can't handle the perfect working dual wield in Demons Souls and i get in the bleeding and poison very quick. And they panic upon it, even though the damage is so low, you simply can kill me and then take care of it, but they all start to lotus/grass right in front of me underestimating the Dragon Crescent Axe range.

I'm a bit surprised how much they are trying to sell us as brand new, what was already perfectly working in DeS:
    1. server based multiplayer
    2. dual wield
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:06 am

The reason is two fold.

1. Many people that play DaS never played DeS (majority of the Xbox and PC community, and a good chunk of the PS3 community as well), and

2. It's new for the publisher Namco, who is in charge of the marketing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 am