Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Video stats/best practices?

Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Video stats/best practices? Empty Video stats/best practices?

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 am

I've uploaded one video to YouTube, using high quality 1080p. I didn't time it, but using broadband it took a long time to upload a 12 minute vid. The file was 1gig in size. This file has the game sounds, but no audio commentary.

What is a good compromise for quality/size?

I'm using the Elgato game capture HD, but haven't figured out how to get audio commentary in the same video. I also picked up the Astro A4 Mix Amp Pro and I get to hear the game (surround sound is AWESOME!) and my commentary through the headphones, but it didn't make it to a test video.

Along with a new computer, I've spent over $1,000 US and I don't want to spend more money to get my audio commentary in the same file (unless I have to).

Can we use this thread to discuss best practices for YouTube videos or Streaming techniques? And perhaps the hardware/software people use.

Another quick question: What is a good number of videos to have available before posting a link to my channel? I have three days off a week so I'll have ample time to upload new content.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Video stats/best practices? Empty Re: Video stats/best practices?

Post by twigsterxd Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Off topic would probably be best for this type of discussion. This would be good for when you post your vids. Just pm a mod, or report me and select the misc option and in comment section just put,
    can you please move this if needing to be moved and a mod will put in right section. Off topic is for things NOT pertaining to the game. And, since you want help with your videos, I would say it's off topic.
    As for your problem, someone else may have that answer as I don't do vids sorry.
    Also, don't think there's a limit. People usually just post their vids unless you are doing some sort of walkthrough and don't want to post until it's completed.

AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am

Is it live commentary you want?, as in when you play. Most if not all youtubers record the commentary afterwards. I got the hauppage and it only captures the game audio, no option for mic for live commentary. There is a way around it though. Use a streaming app(i use open broadcast center), use that that record the capture window and select it to record the capture apps audio as well as your mic. I'm pretty sure most if not all vids with live commentary have been uploaded from twitch(which would've used the streaming sw).

Ps I'd say 1080 is overkill, 720 is more than sufficent.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:04 am

You'll need two things:
    -a microphone, a gaming headset will work. You can pick some mics up for 20$. I'd reccomend Logitech.
    -a editing program to overlay audio/video. If you have a Mac, use Final Cut. If you have Windows, use Windows Movie Maker.

Both are free editing software that come with each OS. I know Final Cut has it, but I'm not sure about WMM. After you've recorded your commentary, make sure it is clear and not rambling. Your first cut doesn't have to be the one you use. Post commentary, make a short list of points you make sure you cover. And if anything else comes to you, write it down.

After you have a good commentary, make sure the sound level of the commentary is matched with the gameplay audio. Oh, and if the microphone comes with a boom, KEEP IT ON.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 am

Green - I made a mistake in my OP so since others have posted I thought it best to add here. It pertains to your video links to the site. I said you can use this section for your vids. But, depending on what kind of video it is, it may go elsewhere. If it's a PvP vid, post in PvP section. Walkthru's as I said would go here. If it's Demon Souls vid, post there and anything not related to souls, post in off-topic.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:31 am

Moving to off topic as requested by OP (and also as appropriate)
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:50 pm

Any further thoughts? Anyone? ;-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:55 am