Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
befowler
Reaperfan
Emergence
Serious_Much
Forum Pirate
berkut
PlasticandRage
Tolvo
12 posters

That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

That's No Moon  (Star Wars Thread) Empty That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:56 am

It's a Star Wars discussion thread! I know I can't be the only person who is an avid fan of Star Wars, at least bordering obsessive over some things. Whether it be the movies, games, books, comics, Action Figures, mugs, or Ewok Adventures, Star Wars has something for everyone. So come on in and feel free to speak openly and really nerd out, I personally love the books and games so I'm a big lore nerd when it comes to Star Wars.

I'll try and start with a nice simple little question, who is your favourite Star Wars character?

I'm going to have to say for me it is a three way tie between Vectivus, Nom Anor, and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Who are you fond of?

Also I would like it if we can avoid flaming anything, that also means please do not come in here and bash the prequels. I don't care for them myself and it's fine to voice your opinion in a level headed manner and discuss pro's and con's, but don't merely come in here yelling "Jar Jar is the worst character to ever exist!" However it is perfectly fine if say you want to mention ideas like, "I'm personally not a fan of the Thrawn Trilogy. To me it just seems that the character is defined by being far too perfect and a counter to Darth Vader and other imperial leaders who were far too blind to give a sense of heroes triumphing. Without the comparison I believe the character just wouldn't have had the impact they have gained, rather than being a character that can just stand out on its own." Keep it clean and nice people!

Addition: I figure it should also be mentioned that there should be no spoilers visible in this thead. By that I mean please use the Spoiler function and give a preface before it so people know what it pertains to.

Like this.

This spoiler regards Darth Krayt's Identity.
    Spoiler:

Obviously you should not click that unless you want to see the identity of Darth Krayt, a spoiler. As well be careful when quoting others, as when quoting them you will see the spoiler. This option can be found when posting underneath the "Others" button.

EDIT: By the way since I was just reminded who suggested making this thread to me, thank you Reaperfan, we owe this Star Wars thread to your idea.

Last edited by Tolvo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

That's No Moon  (Star Wars Thread) Empty Re: That's No Moon (Star Wars Thread)

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Ah a star wars thread. The circle is complete. I personally don't think it gets any better than Yoda. I know that's probably a cliche answer. But come on now, he's Yoda.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Yoda's not a bad choice, he brings forth a lot of character development and really has some great advice and ideas. I always loved his training of Luke, and found it to be one of the better parts of the Empire Strikes Back. As well in a decent amount of the novel he appears in he usually makes just enough of an appearance, the wizened old master training the new generation about the world through a body which has experienced hundreds of years of the galaxy. I do think Yoda actually is a bit under-appreciated these days, I never really hear anyone mention him.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:45 pm

He represents so much of what I love about starwars. George Lucas was clearly influenced by a lot of eastern philosophy when he wrote the original films. The Jedi religion is like Buddhism if enlightenment granted you tangible powers, and Yoda, along with deceased Obi Wan at times, is pretty much the character who communicates all of that. And all of it is in a great little green package. Plus his rapport with R2D2 is fantastic.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm

I always loved the idea of appearances can be deceiving, Yoda was the absolute incarnation of this. A strange talking little green man with a cane and pointed ears being the Jedi Master Yoda. And yes there is definitely influence from eastern philosophies, the Jedi themselves are partially based off of Samurai from old heroic films that George Lucas watched as a kid. The image of Yoda lifting that X-wing is something I'll always remember from when I was a child, that single scene with the little dialogue it had spoke volumes about the Jedi teachings and Yoda himself.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I cant believe it!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

That, is why you fail.

Man that is one thing I always loved about those films, so much was explained in such subtle ways. Every mannerism, everything in each shot, you didn't have to sit there and listen to a character tell you their thoughts and feelings. You knew, nothing needed to be explained aside from the actual state of the world itself. It always just felt so, human.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:04 pm

That was the first time I've dropped an open ended movie quote on this forum and been answered correctly. That's worth a reputation point in my book.

I agree completely. Have you played any of the Old Republic games? I've been thinking about maybe checking one out, I'm not sure if my computer could handle them though.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:09 pm

I've played Kotor 1 and 2, as well as SWTOR. I'd definitely recommend both Kotor games, some of the greatest RPG's I've ever played in all honesty, all the way up there with Super Mario RPG.

SWTOR being an MMO I really have no positive or negative opinion of. It does kind of take a dump on the lore, but it can be enjoyable. After so many years of playing MMO's I just can't enjoy them anymore, they just all seem to be the same thing.

Kotor 1 is definitely a must, a certain character in the game can tend to be overly popular, but still the character does deserve a decent amount of the fame they have. You should definitely pick it up. An absolutely great story, probably one of if not the best Star Wars game out there if you are into RPG's.

Kotor 2 is great as well, I have to say the game is of course not considered as good as the first but I think it is a pretty unfair comparison. It is merely the second one, and on its own another amazing part of the series.

I will say if you are a fan of Mass Effect though you will notice a some similarities, Mass Effect is based off of the Kotor series after all, though Kotor is not a shooter.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Ive actually never played Mass Effect. Kotor 1 is relatively old now isn't it? Like a least 5 years or so? If it'll run on Vista I bet I can run it. Maybe I'll ebay it. There's nowhere where I live to buy computer games really.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:21 pm

It came out in 2003, so don't go in expecting stellar graphics haha. The game more than makes up for it though, it is definitely a case of Everything>Graphics. It will more than likely run on your computer, as well it is usually pretty cheap. You may actually be able to find it in stores still, I know the local Target here still carries it and so does the Game stop.

EDIT: It is also worth mentioning Kotor has won a good deal of Awards, holds an amazingly high review score across the boards, and for a lot of websites it is in their top 20-10 games lists of all time.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Did you ever read the Republic Commando series Tolvo? Shame that series got canceled.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 pm

We actually just got a Gamestop. I haven't been in there yet because they're the competition for the locally owned game trader I frequent. I didn't realize they sold PC games. Yeah I generally am not a slave to graphics. In fact just this morning I was arguing for FF6 as the best RPG of all time. I'm going to look up the running requirements and then maybe take a drive over to Gamestop. Maybe if they don't have it they'll order it for me. I have 10 days off for spring break after this week. It'll give me something to do besides DSing whats left of my sanity down the toilet
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:31 pm

The Pain Republic commando has brought me. Bought it on steam, it went on sale the next day, my computer died that day and I haven't been able to fix it since so I can't play it. So much rage, more rage than I ever could have shown in Dark Souls. I've been considering the books but some friends of mine suggested I play the game first then read the books, so I'm just screwed since I'm pretty sure it isn't for the PS3, and if it is I've never found it around here. 😢

Well Plastic it looks like you might be arguing for Kotor as best RPG of all time after you finish it haha, and finish it again. There are so many ways to play through that game it is nuts considering when it came out. I love Dark Souls with all my heart but man thinking about my first time playing Kotor, I can remember just how addicted I got. I think you're going to need a bigger break haha.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm

That's quite a endorsement. I think I am going to check it out. You ever seen the starwars real time tactics game? I can't remember what it was called. I think it came out around the same time the Lord of the Rings one did. It looked good but I've never heard anyone say anything about it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Do you mean Force Commander, or Empire at War? Empire at war I can say though it has balance issues, it is a pretty good game. It is no Starcraft or Command Conquer, but it is still pretty fun and given its age I'd say it is probably pretty cheap so worth the price. I'm not entirely sure about the online aspect of it now given how long it has been out but you never know. As well it shows some interesting sides to things in Star Wars, I personally really enjoyed the Empire campaign. The expansion for it Forces of Corruption is grossly imbalanced. The new faction pretty much destroys everything else. Especially in the galactic map mode where it is about controlling planets, and running the galaxy that faction has all sort of special abilities that basically negate both the Rebels and Empire.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Agreed on the Forces of Corruption game.

@PlasticandRage: Republic commando is on steam, that is how I own it, so is the KOTORs I think
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:04 pm

I think Empire at War is the one I was talking about. I swear I saw a copy at Walmart not long ago. Which is odd considering the Walmart here usually carries about 4 different PC games a time. I'm a big fan of the genre, although I still haven't played Starcraft 2 at all. I played C&C like it was going out of style for a long time though, as well as Warcraft 3 and the first Starcraft
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:05 pm

This may sound a little silly, but Steam?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:08 pm

"Well let's see, I'm going to send a unit there to cease all unit production on that planet, send another to destroy its defenses, throw in another to cause us to have allies when we land, oh yeah let's also destroy their space station. Alright, time to send in the army, oh yeah we also avoid space combat and have tons of buffs and special abilities, now time to actually fight!"-The Consortium

Why steam why? Why can't you be on PS3 and allow me to buy Republic Commando?

Steam is essentially a, I would call it system, maybe, for the PC. Basically it is something you download for free, get an account on and can purchase games digitally through. It has a ton of sales and has a huge library of games, many old. Sometimes Kotor actually goes on sale, along with Kotor two and other Star Wars games. Sadly without my computer I can't access any of those many games I've bought. sad
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm

It's all free, excluding purchases? I don't have to pay for an account or anything?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Nope, as well usually on steam games are cheaper. The only issue is if you get banned you get locked out of your whole game library.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm

How does something like that happen? And does that mean that your games are stored on their servers? Like you have to have internet access to play your games? Because I soon will be living in a place with no capacity for an internet connection.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:17 pm

You can play games in offline mode, now if you want to play a valve game and steam is down while you want to play online of course you can't. But as soon as you download the game you can play, if steam is down you just play in offline mode. As well you have to be able to download the game from their server onto your computer.

Have either of you two ever played any of the Jedi Knight series?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:22 pm

I used to play an old starwars first person game. I can't remember what it was called but you were a character who was created for the series and as the game progressed you either developed as a Jedi or a Sith. I'm talking really old too, like 98 maybe? Quake 1 era. Dark Forces 2 maybe?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 am