Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
alchemydesign
Flankydizzle
Sneezer
DyingAce
Hatsune Miku
JulioDRai
Mental Gear
Green__Eagle
Shakie666
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
retro
15 posters

concrete data on titanite slab drop rates

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

concrete data on titanite slab drop rates Empty concrete data on titanite slab drop rates

Post by retro Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 am

Not sure if this has been posted before, but someone was able to determine what they believe to be the exact drop rates. I can't personally verify the accuracy of his information/ method, but based on what we know so far and from another one of his contributions, it appears to be accurate.

source (read the post, not the thread title)

titanite Slab drop rates:

• 0 humanity: 0.212%

• 1 humanity: 0.304%

• 2 humanity: 0.317%

• 10 humanity: 0.404%

• 0 humanity, CGSR/SoA: 0.539%

• 10 humanity, CGSR/SoA: 0.679%

(CGSR/SoA = Covetous Gold Serpent Ring / Symbol of Avarice)

So for example,

-Having 0 humanity and nothing else, the odds are 1 slab for every ~470 Darkwraiths killed.
    -Having max item discovery, the odds are 1 slab for every ~148 Darkwraiths killed.

With 11 Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins, that should average to 1 slab for every 13-14 trips down there (max item discovery).
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

concrete data on titanite slab drop rates Empty Re: concrete data on titanite slab drop rates

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 am

I guess I'm pretty lucky...? sick 
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

concrete data on titanite slab drop rates Empty Re: concrete data on titanite slab drop rates

Post by retro Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am

Well another way of looking at it, if you kill all of the Darkwraiths with max item discovery, the odds of getting one that "trip" is between 1/13 and 1/14. That's not too terrible.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Is it just me, or does everyone seem to get more slabs by accident then when intentionally farming? I remember the very first time I killed a darkwraith, it dropped a slab, which I didn't even realise you could get anywhere other than by killing the stray demon. These days I just wear the CGSR whenever I go through new londo, farming or not.

EDIT: It would take a lot of work, but it would be quite nice to have info like this for all rare drops, not just slabs. Though with DkS2 just around the corner, it probably wouldn't be worth doing now.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Max Item Discovery is 410, right? I can get there without the SoA so is the drop rate higher when you use it?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah the max is 410. So it's not higher, it has the same effect (but is not stackable) as the gold serpent ring. You just need either one of those, but not both.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Shakie666 wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone seem to get more slabs by accident then when intentionally farming? I remember the very first time I killed a darkwraith, it dropped a slab, which I didn't even realise you could get anywhere other than by killing the stray demon. These days I just wear the CGSR whenever I go through new londo, farming or not.

EDIT: It would take a lot of work, but it would be quite nice to have info like this for all rare drops, not just slabs. Though with DkS2 just around the corner, it probably wouldn't be worth doing now.
    For the former, I'm confident it's just confirmation bias. The game most likely has no way of knowing whether you're farming or not. You'll notice all the times you get one by surprise as an outstanding event, biasing your perspective by not balancing it correctly with all the times you don't get one. Then if you're farming the statistical likelihood of getting lucky 'over and over' plummets. The more you do it, the more your experienced drop rate should average closer to 1 / 148 (assuming max item discovery), meaning there will also be times where you'll go long stretches without getting one.

I would love to find out the drop rate of more rare items, but I don't have the PC version. Specifically, the Balder Side Sword, Ghost Blade, and Trident would be cool to know.
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:43 pm

retro wrote:I would love to find out the drop rate of more rare items, but I don't have the PC version. Specifically, the Balder Side Sword, Ghost Blade, and Trident would be cool to know.
    I've got the PC version. How do you conduct proper drop rate testing? Do you kill the Balder Knights over and over and count how often you get the Side sword?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:39 pm

No, it's done by poking around into the data. Here's what he had to say (slightly restructured since his post is edited and a bit scattered). It's a bit over my head, especially since I have no context or anything to look at to see if I can see what he's talking about:

For anyone with the knowledge, you can look at the disassembled memory in [redacted] or whatever around the area of DATA.exe+0x7FAD7 to investigate further.

First, a number determined by your item discovery value is calculated. I didn't bother to determine exactly how to calculate it, but at 0 humanity it's 10,000, at 1 it's 11,250, and at 2 it's 11,437, and it continues increasing for higher item discovery values. Next, a random floating point value between 0 and 1 is generated, and multiplied by the previous value. The result of this is rounded down to an integer and is our 'roll value'.

That cmp edx,ecx instruction compares your roll against (the value needed to obtain the drop - my words).

However, not only does the roll value change based on item discovery value, but the required values for the items change too.

(At 0 humanity), the drop chance values for the halberd (from the) Black Knight are 7500 and 9500; any roll value below 7500 means nothing gets dropped, anything between 7500 and 9499 (inclusive) means the halberd is dropped, and anything equal to or above 9500 means the shield is dropped.

If you multiply a random number between 0 and 1 by 10,000, the result has approx 20% chance of being between 7500 and 9499.

At 1 humanity the values are different and the range of values for the BKH is 3000 instead. Therefore, the actual drop rate at 1 humanity should be 3000 / 11250 which is 26.7%.
    If this makes more sense to anyone else, it'd be great to see if we could determine the drop rate of more items (perhaps both at base and max item discovery).
    JulioDRai
    JulioDRai

Post by JulioDRai Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 pm

titanite Slabe drop is pure luck, the first time i went to new londo to farm the darkwraiths i didnt get any in maybe 2 hours and the next day i got 2 in the first run xD
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 am

retro wrote:
    Shakie666 wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone seem to get more slabs by accident then when intentionally farming? I remember the very first time I killed a darkwraith, it dropped a slab, which I didn't even realise you could get anywhere other than by killing the stray demon. These days I just wear the CGSR whenever I go through new londo, farming or not.

For the former, I'm confident it's just confirmation bias. The game most likely has no way of knowing whether you're farming or not. You'll notice all the times you get one by surprise as an outstanding event, biasing your perspective by not balancing it correctly with all the times you don't get one. Then if you're farming the statistical likelihood of getting lucky 'over and over' plummets. The more you do it, the more your experienced drop rate should average closer to 1 / 148 (assuming max item discovery), meaning there will also be times where you'll go long stretches without getting one.

I would love to find out the drop rate of more rare items, but I don't have the PC version. Specifically, the Balder Side Sword, Ghost Blade, and Trident would be cool to know.
    I know. Its just a coincidence. It probably also has to do with the fact that I hardly ever do slab farming - 3 per playthrough is usually enough.

Incidentally, iirc I also got the channeler's trident and titanite catch pole first time. Took forever to get the stone greatshield though.
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 pm

retro wrote:No, it's done by poking around into the data. Here's what he had to say (slightly restructured since his post is edited and a bit scattered). It's a bit over my head, especially since I have no context or anything to look at to see if I can see what he's talking about:

For anyone with the knowledge, you can look at the disassembled memory in [redacted] or whatever around the area of DATA.exe+0x7FAD7 to investigate further.

First, a number determined by your item discovery value is calculated. I didn't bother to determine exactly how to calculate it, but at 0 humanity it's 10,000, at 1 it's 11,250, and at 2 it's 11,437, and it continues increasing for higher item discovery values. Next, a random floating point value between 0 and 1 is generated, and multiplied by the previous value. The result of this is rounded down to an integer and is our 'roll value'.

That cmp edx,ecx instruction compares your roll against (the value needed to obtain the drop - my words).

However, not only does the roll value change based on item discovery value, but the required values for the items change too.

(At 0 humanity), the drop chance values for the halberd (from the) Black Knight are 7500 and 9500; any roll value below 7500 means nothing gets dropped, anything between 7500 and 9499 (inclusive) means the halberd is dropped, and anything equal to or above 9500 means the shield is dropped.

If you multiply a random number between 0 and 1 by 10,000, the result has approx 20% chance of being between 7500 and 9499.

At 1 humanity the values are different and the range of values for the BKH is 3000 instead. Therefore, the actual drop rate at 1 humanity should be 3000 / 11250 which is 26.7%.
    If this makes more sense to anyone else, it'd be great to see if we could determine the drop rate of more items (perhaps both at base and max item discovery).
    Nope sorry, doesn't make any sense to me. sick  Is 'he' somewhere available for PM?

If we would only talk about titanite slab farming then the great hollow is the place to go. You can get at least 4 titanite slabs from the crystal lizards there if you repeat often enough. Last time there I got 4 slabs in a row!
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Honestly. I've had one character not get any slabs from the Darkwraiths, no matter how many times I went down there. And another character that can get a slab or two, dropped every 5 to 8 trips down there, 10 humanity and no Gold Serpent ring. Same with Balder Side Sword; The dropped them like hot cakes in that playthrough.

I think your character has a set amount of luck to begin with and it can increase with humanity, not Gold Serpernt ring.

It is literally all about having a lucky player to begin with.
    DyingAce
    DyingAce
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DyingAce Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm

You are aware of the item discovery stat? That is the luck stat you can change with humanity and the gold serpent ring. One character finding things often versus another doesn't mean that character has more inherent luck, it means you were more fortunate at times. I'm assuming both characters were at max item discovery of 410. But there could be hidden data for all I know. Chance works out strangely sometimes.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:51 pm

DyingAce wrote:You are aware of the item discovery stat? That is the luck stat you can change with humanity and the gold serpent ring. One character finding things often versus another doesn't mean that character has more inherent luck, it means you were more fortunate at times. I'm assuming both characters were at max item discovery of 410. But there could be hidden data for all I know. Chance works out strangely sometimes.
    I am well aware the item discovery stat has hardly anything to do being lucky. At least not the Gold Serpent ring.

The first character I mentioned could have max luck and still wouldn't get ****.

The second character could have 10 humanity or less, with no Gold Serpent ring, and would get a **** ton of slabs.

I've had many characters, just for the soul purpose of testing this **** out.
    And that's my conclusion, and I'm sticking with it.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 am

Maybe you were just old fashioned unlucky with that one character?

Trying to get numbers 99 and lower out of 100 may be overwhelmingly probably, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get 100 multiple times in a row.

As for the numbers... writing down the listed information as an equation would make it much easier to work with, if you are so inclined. Once again... Fromsoft amazes me with their incredible coding skills.
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

I really think there are other factors in between farming like resting at bonfires, reloading the game, and maybe some other things that affect drop rates with anything. You can try for an hour with 410 discovery to get a slab with no luck and then just randomly get one with no humanity in the meter or anything.

I also remember EpicNameBro saying in his experience that if you manage to get a slab then keep farming because another one probably isn't far away.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Flankydizzle wrote:I also remember EpicNameBro saying in his experience that if you manage to get a slab then keep farming because another one probably isn't far away.
    Poisson clumping. Look it up.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Flankydizzle wrote:I really think there are other factors in between farming like resting at bonfires, reloading the game, and maybe some other things that affect drop rates with anything. You can try for an hour with 410 discovery to get a slab with no luck and then just randomly get one with no humanity in the meter or anything.

I also remember EpicNameBro saying in his experience that if you manage to get a slab then keep farming because another one probably isn't far away.
    I agree with all of the above statement.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:40 pm

The problem comes with people not understanding the statistics of it....when they say Item A has a 50% chance of dropping, that doesn't mean that if you kill 10 of said Enemies then 5 of them would drop Item A. What it DOES mean is that each of the 10 has a 50% chance of dropping the Item.

Now the odds would say that at 50% the chances are HIGH that you would get the item and most likely multiples...however the chances are exactly the same that you would get NOTHING.

If you kill one DW who has an X% chance of dropping a slab doesn't mean that that is factored into the next DW you kill and up the Drop rate.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I also think there's more to it than the item discovery rate.  I have one character that is noticeably luckier than my other ones, and have had other folks tell me the same thing.  The difference is hard to miss -- when I first took this guy through the Burg, he got a BK shield and sword off the knight, with a chunk thrown in for good measure, then a slab off the crystal lizard outside the Taurus gate (which some folks claim isn't even possible, although I saw it happen).  He then got a full balder set drop -- every piece of armor, the shield, and a BSS -- off the knight standing in the Parish doorway the first time he got there.  A single traipse through the Chasm can net 15+ humanity, and his bottomless box now has so much stuff in it it takes forever to find anything.  There may be some fancy statistical concept to suggest it's all in my head, but the difference when I switch to a "regular" character, even one wearing the gold serpent ring, is so extreme that I refuse to farm with any other character.  It's faster to farm with the lucky one and find someone willing to port the items over, than to farm with the character that needs it in the first place.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

befowler wrote:I also think there's more to it than the item discovery rate.  I have one character that is noticeably luckier than my other ones, and have had other folks tell me the same thing.  The difference is hard to miss -- when I first took this guy through the Burg, he got a BK shield and sword off the knight, with a chunk thrown in for good measure, then a slab off the crystal lizard outside the Taurus gate (which some folks claim isn't even possible, although I saw it happen).  He then got a full balder set drop -- every piece of armor, the shield, and a BSS -- off the knight standing in the Parish doorway the first time he got there.  A single traipse through the Chasm can net 15+ humanity, and his bottomless box now has so much stuff in it it takes forever to find anything.  There may be some fancy statistical concept to suggest it's all in my head, but the difference when I switch to a "regular" character, even one wearing the gold serpent ring, is so extreme that I refuse to farm with any other character.  It's faster to farm with the lucky one and find someone willing to port the items over, than to farm with the character that needs it in the first place.
    No offence, but I find this hard to believe. The thing is that when the probability of a certain event is very small, anomalous results are more likely to occur. As the probability of an event decreases, the number of trials required to ensure a high degree of accuracy grows exponentially. Not only that, but when certain 'lucky' events happen, you're more likely to remember them than mundane ones - your drop of a full set of balder gear is a good example. Can you remember how many times you've killed them and not gotten a full set? Probably not, because such events are unremarkable and thus are ignored.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Shakie666 wrote:
    befowler wrote:I also think there's more to it than the item discovery rate.  I have one character that is noticeably luckier than my other ones, and have had other folks tell me the same thing.  The difference is hard to miss -- when I first took this guy through the Burg, he got a BK shield and sword off the knight, with a chunk thrown in for good measure, then a slab off the crystal lizard outside the Taurus gate (which some folks claim isn't even possible, although I saw it happen).  He then got a full balder set drop -- every piece of armor, the shield, and a BSS -- off the knight standing in the Parish doorway the first time he got there.  A single traipse through the Chasm can net 15+ humanity, and his bottomless box now has so much stuff in it it takes forever to find anything.  There may be some fancy statistical concept to suggest it's all in my head, but the difference when I switch to a "regular" character, even one wearing the gold serpent ring, is so extreme that I refuse to farm with any other character.  It's faster to farm with the lucky one and find someone willing to port the items over, than to farm with the character that needs it in the first place.
    No offence, but I find this hard to believe. The thing is that when the probability of a certain event is very small, anomalous results are more likely to occur. As the probability of an event decreases, the number of trials required to ensure a high degree of accuracy grows exponentially. Not only that, but when certain 'lucky' events happen, you're more likely to remember them than mundane ones - your drop of a full set of balder gear is a good example. Can you remember how many times you've killed them and not gotten a full set? Probably not, because such events are unremarkable and thus are ignored.
    As I've said before. It's all about having a lucky character.
    I stand by befowler on this one. There is more to it than just the luck stat itself.
    Besides, as I mention before; I think I did anyway; I've tested this with many characters, because I have a ton of free time on my hands.
    Most characters had ****ty luck. Where as few had super luck.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Shakie666 wrote:
    Flankydizzle wrote:I also remember EpicNameBro saying in his experience that if you manage to get a slab then keep farming because another one probably isn't far away.
    I would agree, except for the fact that these "random" events aren't random, but are instead being made by a computer. So it all depends on how the developers designed their random numbers table, and algorithms. 

It's quite possible that the "good" numbers are clumped up together, and cause such a phenomenon to occur.

I personally believe there is another hidden value at play, because over all my time playing, I have seen a pattern where the my characters that get rare drops, tend to get a lot of them, while the characters that don't get any, well, don't get any, compared to a true randomness, which would have them more equally spread out among all my characters.

Now true, my sample size is small for this, but I have talked to other players, and they have reported the same occurrence, and I wouldn't put it past the developers to put something in (maybe not knowingly) that could directly or indirectly affect the numbers table, and so called "luck" based off character.

Maybe when a character is made, the numbers table it uses is chosen then, and is never changed since, and maybe most of the numbers table don't actually happen to be as fairly distributed as they probably should be.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Shakie666 wrote:
    I would agree, except for the fact that these "random" events aren't random, but are instead being made by a computer. So it all depends on how the developers designed their random numbers table, and algorithms. 

It's quite possible that the "good" numbers are clumped up together, and cause such a phenomenon to occur.

I personally believe there is another hidden value at play, because over all my time playing, I have seen a pattern where the my characters that get rare drops, tend to get a lot of them, while the characters that don't get any, well, don't get any, compared to a true randomness, which would have them more equally spread out among all my characters.

Now true, my sample size is small for this, but I have talked to other players, and they have reported the same occurrence, and I wouldn't put it past the developers to put something in (maybe not knowingly) that could directly or indirectly affect the numbers table, and so called "luck" based off character.

Maybe when a character is made, the numbers table it uses is chosen then, and is never changed since, and maybe most of the numbers table don't actually happen to be as fairly distributed as they probably should be.
    Well, they can't be random, but they are pseudo-random, which from a practical point of view is pretty much the same thing. If you're right, I guess From didn't pick a very good (pseudo) random number generating algorithm.

Also, I highly doubt From would intentionally make some characters luckier than others, though I guess I can't rule out them doing it unintentionally.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 pm