Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

O&S Best/Worst glitch ever.

PyroElleh
    PyroElleh
    Casual
    Casual

O&S  Best/Worst glitch ever. Empty O&S Best/Worst glitch ever.

Post by PyroElleh Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 am

I can't believe what just happened.

I started a fresh character and reached Anor Londo (NG).  I snatched up all the goodies, and prepped for O&S.  I was determined to get my hands on the Leo Ring this time. So I found myself a (very pro) phantom and summoned Solaire.  The fight went very smoothly, Super Ornstein didn't stand a chance.  He went down, I jumped for joy, AND.... the fight didn't end.  

The boss was dead, and the music kept playing.  My phantoms where still there.  Pro phantom shrugged and BC'ed out, and I was..... still in the boss room.  With Solaire, who seemed plenty eager to follow me around as I franticly searched for an escape.  There was none.  Homeward bone didn't work.  No amount of voodoo could open an exit. (No big surprise, there.)  So the only thing left for me to do was force quit.

And now, NOW.... I have reloaded my game.  I am standing outside the boss fog, with over 20K souls and the Leo Ring in my pocket.  So I'm guessing.... I'll have to fight them again.  But will I get to keep the ring??  Will I get twice the souls?? What if I unlocked both armor sets on the same playthrough?!?!?!  I don't know what to dooooooo ~
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

O&S  Best/Worst glitch ever. Empty Re: O&S Best/Worst glitch ever.

Post by GrinTwist Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:52 am

That's odd, I guess you can just fight them again. Do you have the soul of Ornstein or is that not there?

If you want everything that comes along with fighting against Ornstein I might advise fighting him again if you didn't get his soul after fighting him.
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Two days ago I fought Kalameet on NG+ and got his tail cut but then got killed. After that I tried the backup save from DSFix and my char woke up right before the fog gate with the Obsidian greatsword still in my inventory.
    So obviously DSFix made the backup save right after I received the Ogs, same thing as if I had reloaded after getting the cut, kinda like you landed in front of the fog gate after reloading and kept the Leo ring.
    Then I walked through the fog gate again and got to fight Kalameet with a new tail all over, this time beating him without a tail cut. Next time this happens I'll try to cut his tail again to check if you would be able to get the sword a second time, but somehow my suspicion is that won't work.
    So after that I'm pretty sure you will keep the ring and on a hunch I guess you get the souls a second time after beating O&S again.
    PyroElleh
    PyroElleh
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PyroElleh Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Mental, I do have DSFix but in this case I think it was just the standard save procedure. Unless I misunderstand how DSFix creates and stores it's backup save files. But what you're describing sounds very similar to my experience. You didn't happen to have a phantom helping, did you? I noticed some odd, delayed behavior when my phantom killed one of the giants outside the boss room.

Grin, I.... ended up killing Smough last on my own. Now I have the Soul of Smough and the Leo Ring. I probably should have tried for Ornstein again, like you suggested. *Sigh*
    I thought the soul amount was odd (shouldn't it be like 50k ?), but I assumed that maybe some of the bosses give you less souls if you have a phantom - like the Artorias fight. Turns out I was just being silly. I forgot I had killed Lautrec and Co. immediately before fight - that plus the mobs between the bonfire and boss room would have gotten me to 20K. Also, I did not get Ornstein's soul on the glitched run.

So I'm assuming that because the ring is a "drop" in the same manner as a dragon tail - and not a reward presented at the end of a boss fight - it is ours permanently when we pick it up. And for whatever reason the event that signifies the end of a boss fight never fired. Although.... it's really odd that the end of the boss fight and the ring drop were not tied to the same event. But I'm not a coder, so that's all above my head. Shrug 

I was really hoping I could have Soul of Ornstein + Leo Ring + Soul of Smough + both armor sets. That would have been really sweet. XD
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

No phantoms were involved in my case with Kalameet.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 pm

weirdest thing i've had happen is that i invaded dark anorlondo and the cut scene for smough dieing immedietly played and i was left with big O's hp bar at the bottom of my screen as i searched for the host, big O's fog was still present too... i figured you could kill gwyndolin before o&s but the insta death to smough upon my entry confuses me... the host also gave me 5 souls of manus so that might have something to do with it...
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:44 pm

I am reviving this thread to say I had the same bug as Elleh, it happened just a moment ago. I was running one of my characters through NG+, all worked fine, no trouble at all. I invaded Lautrec and killed him, and I headed to the boss room.

I stop here to say I had not messed with anything using Cheat Engine, or even reloaded a previous save in this session, up to that point. I did Anor Londo in one go, and I had not even died. So it rules out the possiblity that anything like this caused the boss fight to bug out.

Anyways I head in and kill Smough first, like I always do. The scenario that followed up was exactly like Elleh's. Super Ornstein died, the music kept playing, the fog doors did not open, and while I looted the Leo Ring, I got no souls nor the Soul of Ornstein. I had a lot of estus still, so I logged out, and went through the fog door again. The exact same thing repeated itself, netting me another Leo Ring.

Since I had made a save just before going through the fog door, I reloaded that one, and again I killed Super Ornstein which caused the same bug. So not even reloading a previous save fixed it, which points to this being more than just a random, rare bug. It was consistent in that every time I killed Smough first, the boss battle bugged out.

I reload the same save again, kill Ornstein first, and everything proceeds as normal, giving me the Soul of Smough and causing the boss fight to end.

Maybe this is a NG+ bug like with Ingward? (Ingward, if killed during NG+ before obtaining the Lordvessel, tends to not drop the Key to the Seal, making the game unwinnable unless you hack for the key).

Did anyone else apart from us two have the same issue?

Last edited by CaligoIllioneus on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PyroElleh
    PyroElleh
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PyroElleh Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Yup. That's exactly the same. Except I would like to reiterate the fact that, for me, the bug occurred on NG, not NG+. So I doubt that it is tied directly to the play through number.

It's highly annoying that this bug appears to be repeatable, and not as uncommon as I had originally thought. It's a shame we cannot easily isolate the problem, in order to know what to avoid.

Also, I should have mentioned immediately that I am playing on PC. From your description, it sounds as though your experience was on the PC version as well, Caligollioneus.
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:53 pm

That is indeed the case, I am playing on the PC as well. Excuse me for talking as if it was a given, a friend directed me to this thread and I (mistakenly) thought it was on PC Discussion.

Hm, that rules out this being a NG+ specific bug...interesting. And yes, testing is hard because I had never seen this bug before, even though I always kill Smough first...but when it triggered, I couldn't make the bug go away unless I killed Ornstein first.

Things I did not try that may have also worked:

*Reloading a previous save, then exiting the game.

Things I tried that didn't work:

*Doing it a couple of times in a row

*Reloading a previous save

*Reloading a previous save, then resting at a bonfire to reset the area before trying again.
    PyroElleh
    PyroElleh
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PyroElleh Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:30 pm

... I should have put it in PC discussion in the first place, really. My bad. silly

Unfortunately I can't affirm if the bug is persistent in the play though once triggered. If I remember correctly:
    -I force quit in the boss room (ALT+tabbed, closed window from desktop. I seem to recall that I could not quit by normal means)
    -I reloaded the most recent save, appeared outside the boss fog
    -Fought them again immediately after loading...... died (lol)
    -Retried, starting from the bonfire. Killed Smough last
    -Game proceeded like normal

I'm really wishing I had tried to repeat the battle as you did. I wouldn't be very surprised if I had the same, persisting bug. But all I really wanted was the ring (which I still had from the bugged fight), so I didn't think about it much.

I've only defeated O&S three times (four, counting the glitch). And only once did I kill Ornstein last. You implied you've done the fight many times with no issue..... could it possibly be something introduced in the latest patch?
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm

PyroElleh wrote:... I should have put it in PC discussion in the first place, really.  My bad. silly

Unfortunately I can't affirm if the bug is persistent in the play though once triggered.  If I remember correctly:
    -I force quit in the boss room (ALT+tabbed, closed window from desktop.  I seem to recall that I could not quit by normal means)
    -I reloaded the most recent save, appeared outside the boss fog
    -Fought them again immediately after loading...... died (lol)
    -Retried, starting from the bonfire. Killed Smough last
    -Game proceeded like normal

I'm really wishing I had tried to repeat the battle as you did.  I wouldn't be very surprised if I had the same, persisting bug.  But all I really wanted was the ring (which I still had from the bugged fight), so I didn't think about it much.

I've only defeated O&S three times (four, counting the glitch).  And only once did I kill Ornstein last.  You implied you've done the fight many times with no issue..... could it possibly be something introduced in the latest patch?
    I was away, walking my dog.

No, it wasn't anything in the latest patch. Since your original post I had done the fight a couple of times without issue (I levelled two characters, killed Ornstein last in all of them) This was the only time I met this bug.

I actually just added a small note to our wiki article referencing this bug and how to fix it.
    PyroElleh
    PyroElleh
    Casual
    Casual

Post by PyroElleh Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Nice job!

I suppose the bug would be irritating to anyone who had their heart set on Ornstein's armor set, but thankfully it does not appear to be game-breaking. I'll be curious to see if anything unusual happens on the next playthrough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm