Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Dark Souls II Message System

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dark Souls II Message System Empty Dark Souls II Message System

Post by Seignar Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

I hope they take the time to make Messages in Dark Souls II better. Some of the many problems I found in Dark Souls with Messages was that they changed the system plenty to make it obsolete:

1. There was no reward. At the very least, no yet known reward. Demon Souls gave you a FULL HEAL for a rating! I am aware that Dark Souls II reverts back to Demon Souls in this scenario, but I also find Demon's Souls benefits too good and it also would cause some annoyances in PvP. For this reason, I would suggest the reward for messages should be something less immediate and something that could still benefit players at full HP.

2. It was inconvenient to place or rate messages. In Demon Souls, also you had to do was press SELECT to open up the message screen. In Dark Souls, you need to open the menu, click inventory, browse until you find the Orange Soapstone, select it then press "Use Item" to open up the message screen. This is 1 input vs a minimum of 5 inputs.

3. In Demon Souls. Even if you were offline, your messages would still be up for anyone to rate. In Dark Souls, you need to be online for them to show. This decreases the amount of people that will get to see your message.

4. You have no way to confirm if you got rated...so you have no motivation to even make messages because it never feels like you accomplish anything!

Also, one big problem I have is how a useless message ("Door" in front of a door; never would have guessed) or badly placed messages can take priority over other actions such as climbing, pulling levers, opening door, etc. I think it would be really nice if "read message" was at the lowest priority and if you could any other action, it would override it so the only way you would read the message was if you pressed the switch actions button.

The message system was really downgraded from Demon Souls. I didn't even think it would be possible...
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Dark Souls II Message System Empty Re: Dark Souls II Message System

Post by Dibsville Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Seignar wrote:I hope they take the time to make Messages in Dark Souls II better. Some of the many problems I found in Dark Souls with Messages was that they changed the system plenty to make it obsolete:

1. There was no reward. At the very least, no yet known reward. Demon Souls gave you a FULL HEAL for a rating! I am aware that Dark Souls II reverts back to Demon Souls in this scenario, but I also find Demon's Souls benefits too good and it also would cause some annoyances in PvP. For this reason, I would suggest the reward for messages should be something less immediate and something that could still benefit players at full HP.

2. It was inconvenient to place or rate messages. In Demon Souls, also you had to do was press SELECT to open up the message screen. In Dark Souls, you need to open the menu, click inventory, browse until you find the Orange Soapstone, select it then press "Use Item" to open up the message screen. This is 1 input vs a minimum of 5 inputs.

3. In Demon Souls. Even if you were offline, your messages would still be up for anyone to rate. In Dark Souls, you need to be online for them to show. This decreases the amount of people that will get to see your message.

4. You have no way to confirm if you got rated...so you have no motivation to even make messages because it never feels like you accomplish anything!

Also, one big problem I have is how a useless message ("Door" in front of a door; never would have guessed) or badly placed messages can take priority over other actions such as climbing, pulling levers, opening door, etc. I think it would be really nice if "read message" was at the lowest priority and if you could any other action, it would override it so the only way you would read the message was if you pressed the switch actions button.

The message system was really downgraded from Demon Souls. I didn't even think it would be possible...
    1. If I remember correctly, it gives a Humanity, which is actually pretty useful. (Don't count me on this, I honestly don't know what happens, however I've heard it gives a humanity).

2. Actually, you CAN press Select in Dark Souls. Why don't you give it a try.

3. True, but does that really matter? That just means that you won't get healed randomly (assuming that's what rating a message even does). Makes the game that much harder.

4. Use Orange Soapstone. >"View your messages". Check rating.

The read message does not take priority, actually. You simply need enough time for your character to even acknowledge that the object you are interacting with is in front of him/her. Ever tried reading a message that's placed inside a Bonfire?
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:05 pm

1. IIRC, it was never confirmed confirmed. People have said, but there is no evidence. Since you can gain Humanity by killing enemies, it is possible people have misjudged this as "random" Humanity gain.

2. First, thanks for the tip. Second, I still say this is badly done. SELECT is associated with Gestures now and the addition of Orange Sign Soapstones gives one the impression it is the only way to rate. Also, you have to be reading the message at the time, not many people will conveniently gesture to that...

3. It does matter for other players. If you put a message, wouldn't you rather prefer it was avaible at all times and not only when your online? This also lowers message actvity as I said, because they aren't always present.

4. I admit that point was dumb and uneducated...

5. I have gotten into quite a few numerous situations where messages were annoyingly in the way of me doing another action. Despite that, you have a point. It was probably due to my own mistakes.

Points 1-3 still stand. I do, however, admit that this was a highly uneducated post. So in reaction to my mostly void arguments, how about we make a small discussion about how we would like the Message System to improve?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:10 pm

How to make it better:

Messages don't need to be shown while you are offline, there's enough messages on the ground as is IMO. Also, are you sure they don't show? What about Seek Guidance? I mean, it DOES make more messages appear...
    Faraam
    Faraam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Faraam Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Actually, the "read message" prompt does take priority over certain interactables, usually placed purposefully by trolls in situations where you don't have time to toggle, such as putting a message over Sif's summon sign in the Manus boss room.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:20 pm