Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Yukon
RANT
ARSP
Reaperfan
aceluby
Serious_Much
FruitPunchNinja
11 posters

Demons Souls/Dark Souls inspired games

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Demons Souls/Dark Souls  inspired games  Empty Demons Souls/Dark Souls inspired games

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm

when a game gets popular there is sometimes games made by other companies that completely rip off that idea and make their own version to sell. im sure you all know games like these but gta is a good example. imagine if game companys ripped off dark souls gameplay and online but did their own versions. would anyone not want this too happen, if so why? for me i would want this. I have been having trouble playing any other action rpgs since playing souls and would love to see companys like atlus,sony,or konami maybe even EA(i dont play many of their games) just rip off the gameplay and online. this could be a bad thing obviously but i would love more games with the exact gameplay as souls games except maybe have some that have a lot more npcs and quest type rpg and then have others that are maybe more focused on the online. i dont know what do you guys think? i just love the gameplay and know of no other game like it.

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Demons Souls/Dark Souls  inspired games  Empty Re: Demons Souls/Dark Souls inspired games

Post by Serious_Much Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I would not want to see this happen, it's a unique idea and noone should attempt to copy it really.

It's like taking a sport say, rugby and making a 'new sport' with almost the same rules, just call it a different name. Something like that would never happen. silly
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Demons Souls/Dark Souls  inspired games  Empty Re: Demons Souls/Dark Souls inspired games

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

i understand what you mean but i for one want other game devs to at least take note of how amazing the combat in the souls series is. also i wouldnt compare it with sports thats kinda different more like how other artists see other peoples art and get inspiration from it(in gaming its not always that inspired tho). i just much prefer the non hack and slash approach they took and would like to see it more often. dragons dogma actually looks kind of like this but idk its not souls quality from what ive seen. still got me interested.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I wish someone would for PSP, but seeing as that the vita just came out I doubt that will happen.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I say let the other developers try. They may be able to emulate surface mechanics and playstyle, but they will never be able to emulate the overall experience. They'll probably try to make it hard without understanding the difference between rewarding difficulty and cheap deaths, or they'll try to put too much emphasis on a front-loaded and dialogue-driven narrative, or they'll make a grey-brown world full of grim'n'grittiness to try and emulate the dark and lonely mood. They can try, but they most likely won't succeed, and Demon's/Dark Souls will still have that special place in our hearts.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm

These other game companies can try but they will never beat darksouls I say let them try and fall flat on their faces
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:19 pm

ARSP wrote:These other game companies can try but they will never beat darksouls I say let them try and fall flat on their faces

Why must everyone be able to say things so much more simply than me? :|
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:19 pm

i dont think anyone can ever do it as well as they already have but i think other game developers could give the game interesting twists. maybe i should change the title of this to demons/dark souls inspired games. cause when it comes down to it the souls series has a heavy influence from other action rpgs and D&D.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm surprised noone wanted to discuss my second point sad

ah well for my serious answer now...

The mechanics for the fighting are too unique, number of casts of magic and uses of healing items are limited to a number per checkpoint approach of the game as only caring about making it a difficult atmospheric journey through the world and the implementations of the multiplayer is too unique.

It's just one of those really, it's not possible to copy it. You can try but in the end it just won't be the same. Sorta like the difference between Coca cola and pepsi.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:14 pm

so which one is the better in your opinion? i like pepsi, coke is just too damn sweet for me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

I like both, but i prefer coke.

That's irrelevant to the point im making though silly
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm

I would like to see other dev's LEARN from From, that is make their games more atomspheric or challenging remove tutorials to give satisfaction in learning things. No matter how people try to implement tutorials they always feel like common sense, I like that the souls game basically gave you an in game manual then set you off on your way, good luck!

Not making me complete an event to "master" scratching my butt or something.

As for atmosphere. we don't need long cut scenes to get a feeling for whats happening. Some games are really good at giving atmosphere through dialogue I have seen more games that are amazing and give atmosphere with almost no dialogue, shadow of the collusus, ico and silent hill 2 come to mind.

TLDR: I don't want a copy, but I would like to see other dev's play around with he conventional gaming mechanics.

EDIT: also pepsi. But I prefer Dos Equis.

Last edited by Yukon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm

sprite is my fave.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm

RantFromRant wrote:so which one is the better in your opinion? i like pepsi, coke is just too damn sweet for me.

Pepsi has more sugar than coke and generally most people consider Pepsi sweeter... so confusing...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 pm

aceluby wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:so which one is the better in your opinion? i like pepsi, coke is just too damn sweet for me.

Pepsi has more sugar than coke and generally most people consider Pepsi sweeter... so confusing...

agreed.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Is it odd but when I first started playing dark souls it really reminded me of that 3rd castlevania on the ps2. curse of darkness? admittedly dark souls was harder and had nicer mechanics but It had a very similar feel (both great games ;D)
    AeroSigma
    AeroSigma
    Casual
    Casual

Post by AeroSigma Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:54 pm

I'd like to see this. It's like playing Saints Row: The Third. It's definatley the playstyle that GTA3 invented, but with it's own special twist: it's WAY over the top. It dosen't lack polish or balance so it's really fun to play. Now there have been plenty of crap GTA ripoffs, but some very good ones. I want the good ones. I'd love to see the DS series spawn a whole sub-genre.

Also, I want a Sci-Fi DS.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Anyone remember Soul Reaver on PSone? Well I read yesterday there's going to be a re-boot or whatever you call it for release later this year. Anyway as I watched the video for the original game I thought 'this reminds me of Dark Souls'. Wonder if From were inspired by the Legacy of Kane games. I loved them all.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 pm

AeroSigma wrote:I'd like to see this. It's like playing Saints Row: The Third. It's definatley the playstyle that GTA3 invented, but with it's own special twist: it's WAY over the top. It dosen't lack polish or balance so it's really fun to play. Now there have been plenty of crap GTA ripoffs, but some very good ones. I want the good ones. I'd love to see the DS series spawn a whole sub-genre.

Also, I want a Sci-Fi DS.

finally someone who gets where im coming from!!! thank you. have you seen some of the recent videos of dragons dogma gameplay? it has my attention. also i totally agree on a sci fi type action rpg with the souls game structure(as long it doesnt turn into a shooter) maybe a sci fi world where guns/lasers arent a very common thing.
    Sunbro4evar
    Sunbro4evar
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Sunbro4evar Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Good and Bad idea. I would love more non-hand holding games that are actually difficult. But i'm afraid I would end up buying every single one out of my love of Dark Souls.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm

If every game did the darksouls formula right I would run out of money pretty quick and does anyone else actually like Coke Zero? I sure do big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am