Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Maneater_Mildred
ViralEnsign_
sinisterapathy
ErrJon6661
WyrmHero
BLA1NE
cloudyeki
11 posters

Poison in Pvp and Duels

cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Poison in Pvp and Duels Empty Poison in Pvp and Duels

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 am

What's the consensus on using poisoned weapons in fights? I'm curious because I do carry poison throwing knives and rotten pine resin when I hunt.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Poison in Pvp and Duels Empty Re: Poison in Pvp and Duels

Post by BLA1NE Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 am

What do you mean consensus? You mean the forum community's general opinion on poison? I think it's generally favorable...

I like to use poison arrows to control my opponents. I find it funny how they get all freaked out as soon as they get poisoned, when in reality the effect is very weak!

When I get poisoned myself, it doesn't bother me at all.

So, I say go for it! I wouldn't use the resin if I was you, just because you could be using a more worthwhile buff instead--especially since you have the knives too, which can do the same job better. So use the knives to poison, save the weapon for proper damage with a better buff.

That's my recommendation, anyway!
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 am

I use Toxic Mist, I think it's valid in random duels. It scares the opponent and gives you enough space for buffing. In FC I don't like to use poison.

Last edited by WyrmHero on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 am

I always have dung pies on me. Along with poison arrows and poison knives. Like Blaine said people panic when they get poisoned a lot of the time. Its great to force someone to retreat and leave their back open. The mists can be used to block off hallways and so on.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:17 am

I'm well aware of those, but what of in duels? All those situations I would be doing it to either a bothersome random or a ganking fool
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 am

I don't think poison would effect the outcome of a duel, unless the person poisoned panics. But the damage isn't very high so it really wouldn't matter. My philosophy is if you let it happen you deserved it.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 am

Fair enough, but I have gotten a ganker phantom to die a second before he could pop a moss. On video no less.

I won't go to using another resin >_> my halberd does fine as it is, the poison is really just an afterthought
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:09 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:I don't think poison would effect the outcome of a duel, unless the person poisoned panics. But the damage isn't very high so it really wouldn't matter. My philosophy is if you let it happen you deserved it.

idk about that...ive rolled away when they throw poison knives at me see it fly by 5-10 ft away and still gotten poisoned happens to me fairly often...and it does do enough dmg to matter at lower lvls lol..cant be my fault when im 10 ft away from it. at higher lvls though i dont even bother to avoid it i run in and attack
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 am

I used Rotten Resin, Poison Throwing Knives, Poison Cloud, Toxic Mist, and Acid Surge. Its all for RP purposes but I see nothing wrong with it. If you can inflict poison on the enemy then they probably deserved it.

Unless you do it while the gesture. Then its not cool.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 am

no one has EVER gotten me with acid surge...in demons though they got me with whatever the equivalent is almost every effing time...made me so angry lol
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 am

You mean the scraping spear? Such an evil weapon.

Poison is a wonderful thing in the forest, all the clouds make it easy to herd them off a cliff, like the sheeple they are twisted
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:17 am

I just like to feel that I'm vomiting up whatever kind of misery they want to inflict on me back onto them. Which is ironic reallty seeing as I'm a Gravelord...
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:38 am

I dont think anyone should complain about poison. I dont use it, but love it when its used on me.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 am

sinisterapathy wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:I don't think poison would effect the outcome of a duel, unless the person poisoned panics. But the damage isn't very high so it really wouldn't matter. My philosophy is if you let it happen you deserved it.

idk about that...ive rolled away when they throw poison knives at me see it fly by 5-10 ft away and still gotten poisoned happens to me fairly often...and it does do enough dmg to matter at lower lvls lol..cant be my fault when im 10 ft away from it. at higher lvls though i dont even bother to avoid it i run in and attack

When people say duels I tend to assume sl 80+ haha. And I try not to take lag into consideration anymore as it seems to strike up controversy. But you're completely correct here.

If I'm "dueling" someone I don't use it, but I rarely duel anymore. I usually try to toxic people to get them to run and heal so I can set up an ambush.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm

sinisterapathy wrote:idk about that...ive rolled away when they throw poison knives at me see it fly by 5-10 ft away and still gotten poisoned happens to me fairly often...and it does do enough dmg to matter at lower lvls lol..cant be my fault when im 10 ft away from it. at higher lvls though i dont even bother to avoid it i run in and attack
    I know what you mean, but that's not exactly the reality of it. It could be a side-effect of lag, or just that tracking player-heading isn't great, but those knives that appear to have hit far away from you on your screen were probably dead on on your opponent's screen.

I saw it in one of Caroso's videos, where he was doing cosplay fights and he and his opponent would both be filming the fight. In one of the them, Caroso was using lightning spears. When you watch his opponent's videos, the spears appear to be nowhere near him, and most of the time they miss, but sometimes they hit when it looks like they shouldn't have. But then you watch Caroso's video and the reality is he was throwing those spears with no lock-on and he was tracking his opponent's movements the whole time. So on Caroso's screen the spears were very close to hitting his opponent. On his opponent's screen, the spears weren't going anywhere near where they were actually shot, though.

So, all this to say: don't trust projectiles on your screen. You may think you dodged them, and that they were nowhere near you, but truth is they're not where you think they are. This is especially true of projectiles that home-in on you, like soul arrows which do a lot. Not only are those not appearing where they're supposed to on your screen, but on top of that they're also homing in on you--you have no chance! Same reason why people complain about getting OHK by soul spears that hit nowhere near them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm perfectly fine with it, what you can't use a type of damage/debuff?

I love to use poison arrows and poison knives on my Man in Tights, I actually have a trick I've been using in FC to great success, and in randoms. This is going to get everyone in FC to kill me now as I won't win any fights anymore, but basically here is my poison knife trick.

Throw it at sort of medium range, so people will run up to strike you to punish you, then, parry. I'm actually faking being open for an attack to get them to take the opportunity so that I can riposte them. I do it all the time in PvP, and last FC I was at I landed around 20 ripostes using this tactic.

Now then Reim and Rant, get ready to destroy me more than usual now that you know my secret.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm fine with poison and toxic weapons/mist. They add to the fun. But, I always carry Blooming Moss in my hot key.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Oh I got a crapload of golden pine resin. I just prefer the poison for some reason.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

By the way Reim, that was why I kept saying it was luck, I didn't want to give out my secret so soon haha.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:58 pm

I wish the Mercury upgrade path had made it back into Dark Souls.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Ahaha, I love that path. Too bad I chose to use a boss weapon though. Blue Blood Sword FTW!
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 am

Tolvo wrote:Throw it at sort of medium range, so people will run up to strike you to punish you, then, parry. I'm actually faking being open for an attack to get them to take the opportunity so that I can riposte them. I do it all the time in PvP, and last FC I was at I landed around 20 ripostes using this tactic.
    Throwing attacks and empty attacks is a great way to bait people to setup a parry. Empty R2s or attacking into their block also works well. For most people, just getting close enough to them is enough for them to attack! I've never tried with the poison knives, but that's a good idea, too. Can never have too many baiting tactics!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:43 am

It works well with regular knives as well, in fact maybe more so. They do so little damage and often agitate people, as well to them it's, "I take ten damage if I get hit, but if I hit them they take six hundred, what could possibly go wrong?"

And then I riposte Timmy Turner.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 am

Poison scares people but Toxic terrifies and kills them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:20 am