Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Klosi
mugenis4real
WyrmHero
White Mamba
alchemydesign
DoughGuy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
JoeBroski09
Quarik
Argetlam350
Majikero07
RANT
bloodpixel
Noob-of-Artorias
Forum Pirate
User
Serious_Much
Imarreteet23
jjshowal
23 posters

Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time?

jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time? Empty Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time?

Post by jjshowal Tue May 22, 2012 9:14 pm

When I do this kind of list, I consider Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as the same. Since they are so closely resembled they are easily in my favorite of all-time list. If not Dark Souls, what are your favorite games? (sorry if this thread isn't appropriate for this forum, just curious)

My list, in order by console, would definitely include:

- The original dragon warrior
    - Zelda II
    - Mega Man X
    - Super Metroid
    - Star Fox SNES
    - NBA Jam (seriously, who didn't love this game?!)
    - Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    - Final Fantasy 8
    - Shadow of the Colossus
    - Killzone 2 & 3
    - Demon's/Dark Souls (easily the best games since the 16-bit era)
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time? Empty Re: Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time?

Post by Imarreteet23 Tue May 22, 2012 9:51 pm

For me, the top three are, in no particular order:

-Shadow of the Colossus
    -Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (note that Ocarina of Time was before my era, so the first Legend of Zelda game that I ever played was Wind Waker)
    -Dark Souls
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time? Empty Re: Is Dark Souls your favorite game of all time?

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 pm

No, it's not though it's tied for my favourite on the PS3 with Heavy Rain.

Thing is, for me favourite game isn't defined by best really, just simply the games I loved the most, no matter how much hate others give it.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 pm

You know what my answer would be, do you?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Liking the FF8 love, good to know I'm not alone there.

Anyways top 10?

1)Skies of Arcadia

1)Star Ocean Till the End of Time

2)Final Fantasy 8

3)Legend of Legia (nostalgia goggles may be a factor here)

4)Legend of Dragoon

5)Final Fantasy 7

6) Elder scrolls 3: Morrowind

7) Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

8)Star wars: Knights of the Old Republic

9)Mass Effect 1
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 pm

I like this topic.

I would absolutely put it in my top 5, which is odd considering how long it took me to warm up to it.

I'm gonna say my Top 10 (in no particular order) goes a bit like...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Oh I'm sorry, were you expecting a different Zelda game here? Well tough luck, Majora's Mask is not only one of the most memorable games I've played, it's also one of the most finely polished, everything that made Ocarina great is here in spades plus more.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Easily the best MGS game in the series, and the only one to genuinely make me feel for the characters, this deserves praise, plus it was before the story of the series was tainted by the Deus Ex Machina of "Nanomachines"

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - I'm gonna receive a arseload of hate for this one, but it's true. This game consumed countless hours of my life all throughout highschool and I have many many fond memories playing with friends in search and destroy and TDM. Say what you will about the CoD series, this game will forever hold a special little place in my heart. Modern Warfare 3 was utter garbage though...

4. Dark Souls - I'm gonna put this here because frankly it deserves it, a fantastic experience from start to finish that doesn't let up in the slightest. Plus a story that makes you work for it, that in and of itself is rare in a game and I've never been so immersed in a game world since Majora's Mask.

5. Tetris - The Perfect Game. It never get's boring, it's got more strategy than many games out there and it's got easily my favorite theme song in gaming history.

6. Halo 2 - Ahhh the original multiplayer timesink. When this game first came out I didn't even own an Xbox and instead had to go to my buddies house in order to play, more than one important test was not studied for because of this game. It would be until MW2 that I began to play online multiplayer frequently again.

7. Tales of Symphonia - Never heard of this title? Well if it wasn't for a buddy neither would I. This is the game that caused me to like JRPG's, with an amazing (and surprisingly uncliche) story, great believable characters and above all a combat system that wasn't turn based!

8. Shadow of the Colossus - A cult classic that really lives up to it's praise, this is one of the few games (besides Dark Souls) that really gives its world and it's enemies a grand sense of scale. Playing this game and seeing these giants stomping around just makes you feel tiny in comparison and it's amazing when you finally take them down.

9. Okami - This game is absolutely DRIPPING with style, and looks absolutely gorgeous. A combination of fast frantic combat with Zeldaesque exploration and a killer setting feudal japan combined with the Sumi-e artstyle made this game unforgettable.

10. Persona 4 - Tales of Symphonia may have made me like JRPG's but if it hadn't this game probably would have. A fascinating mystery tale combined with likeable characters a combat system that didn't suck (despite it being turn based) and a kick *** soundtrack and you get a great game.

11. Mass Effect 2 - I initially forgot about this one but I need to rectify it...Mass Effect 2 was my favorite Xbox 360 game until Dark Souls. An amazing Sci-Fi universe, finely tuned combat and really really likeable characters created one of my favorite experiences of all time, it's just a shame that 3 had to give us such a let down of an ending, this really could have gone down in time as one of the greatest trilogies of all time (not just in games, but in media in general)

I know I'm forgetting a few games that would probably make it in here, but I suppose being memorable is a factor in and of itself lol.

Special Mention goes to Minecraft, which I can't really call a game so much as the worlds greatest sandbox.

Last edited by Noob-of-Artorias on Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't really have favorite games. They all just sort of mesh together in my head.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 pm

top three

1) Metal Gear Solid(cant beat that story and the song at the end always gets me)

2) Star Ocean The Second Story

3) Dragon Warrior viii
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 pm

the Legend of Dragoon lovers are multiplying <3

By console:

PS: Legend of Dragoon/Hogs of War/Tekken 3
    N64: Smash bros
    PS2: FFX-2, GTA 3, Mortal Kombat; Deception
    Gamecube: Gotcha Force
    PS3: Heavy Rain, Dark Souls
    jjshowal
    jjshowal
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jjshowal Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Great responses so far. And hell yeah FF8 Forum Pirate! Awesome story and end boss!

Acidic Cook, judging by the fact that I spent basically a week at work analyzing and pondering your lore project, I would sure hope your favorite game is Dark Souls.

And my list is just the first games that come off the top of my head for games that I either played the most or remember the most from my childhood. I might be the only person in the world whose favorite Zelda is the Adventure of Link. That game was so much different and crazier than anything at that time, and it was the only Zelda to this day that utilized RPG elements which worked so well. It was also the hardest by far and had arguably the best music in the series.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm

jjshowal wrote:Great responses so far. And hell yeah FF8 Forum Pirate! Awesome story and end boss!

Acidic Cook, judging by the fact that I spent basically a week at work analyzing and pondering your lore project, I would sure hope your favorite game is Dark Souls.

And my list is just the first games that come off the top of my head for games that I either played the most or remember the most from my childhood. I might be the only person in the world whose favorite Zelda is the Adventure of Link. That game was so much different and crazier than anything at that time, and it was the only Zelda to this day that utilized RPG elements which worked so well. It was also the hardest by far and had arguably the best music in the series.

im sorry dude but ff8 sucked, good story though. also that's just my opinion.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Its close, yet so far.

It is actually Starcraft, to say the least. It was not the first game I played, but I game I have played form its beginning till now. And it sure as hell has not ended yet.

lol
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

The only thing clear here is that Final fantasy divides opinion.

Also breaking newsflash: The members of a forum and wiki dedicated to Dark Souls list it in their favourite games of the console, shock, horror and awe lol!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm

No it doesn't. All Final Fantasy fans agree on everything always. We have yearly conventions. We just pretend to disagree as an excuse to monopolise threads.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm

off topic(maybe) im getting the vita next month and one of the reasons im getting it is because i wanna get all the ps1 classics and its gonna be awesome.
    Majikero07
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Majikero07 Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I have a wish list and all of them is on the PS2. I'm pretty much set on the PS3 for the next year or so, thanks to Dark Souls.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

Tough one, I guess for this current generations of consoles it hits near the top of my favorite games which include:

Spyro (Old PSone)

Crash Bandicoot (Old Psone)

Shadow of the Colossus

Dark Souls

Dragon Age: Origins

Jak and Daxter

Starhawk & Warhawk

LBP

Uncharted

Motorstorm

Infamous

In no particular order and there's probably a few that I missed but I'll remember those later.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Tue May 22, 2012 10:46 pm

My favorite games ever are The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Bastion, and Shadow of the Colossus.

Edit: Yay, caffeinated!
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm

No one has said Kindgom Hearts.... Sad. That's my favorite series of all time. KH2 is my alltime fav.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Argetlam350 wrote:Tough one, I guess for this current generations of consoles it hits near the top of my favorite games which include:

Spyro (Old PSone)

Crash Bandicoot (Old Psone)

Ah crash and spyro, they were great games that I loved when I was a kid, they were really good, especially Spyro 3.

Another game like that I feel never got it's just deserts was Croc 2, look it up if you never heard of it.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 pm

It seems like quite a few people here have Shadow of the Colossus on their list. Just wondering, what is your reason? For me, I really liked both the story, and the gameplay. Something that is rare amongst most video games. I just loved the gameplay because of the whole factor of "Holy crap, I just took down that gigantic hulk of a creature with just my puny little sword. Awww yeeahh." And I liked the story because:
    Spoiler:
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm

As an avid FF fan, I have long since declared kingdom hearts herasy. I think the last straw was like 40 min in. "Leon". Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I did however beat the first one, gave it a fair shake. The gameplay was fine, it was the misrepresentation of established Final Fantasy characters that got to me.

Same reason i dont watch movies based on books i've read.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah. I never played any of the FF until 13. Wtf, Square. Wtf.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:As an avid FF fan, I have long since declared kingdom hearts herasy. I think the last straw was like 40 min in. "Leon". Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I did however beat the first one, gave it a fair shake. The gameplay was fine, it was the misrepresentation of established Final Fantasy characters that got to me.

Same reason i dont watch movies based on books i've read.

the book to movie thing sometimes sucks which is why im so pissed right now with a game of throes, season one was actually really good and they did an awesome job but season two sucks so bad i dont even know. WHERE IS MEERA AND JOJEN HBO?!!! WHERE?!!!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 pm

in no order at all.

ocarina of time,

dark souks,

legend of dragoon,

all final fantasies prior to 10-2, 12 is okay but not a fave.

Soul reaver series

kingdom hearts 1 and 2 (the non disney enemy designs are great!)

katamari damacy

demons souls

suikoden series (#3 to #5)

the dot hack series (both of them)

disgaea, disgaea 2, disgaea 3, disgaea4, soul nomad, phantom brave, makai kingdom ("i'm a badass freakin' overlord", somebody please get the reference...)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:51 pm