Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
Knight Alundil
7 posters

Statue theory

Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Statue theory Empty Statue theory

Post by Knight Alundil Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Basic speculation incoming:

The statues of the tall females in robes carry babies. Could be the children of something like "The godmother", or gwynevere or whatever thats not important to what im speculating at.

You turn the statue in the painted world to face priscilla, possibly one child of said "Godmother".

The sunlight altar also boasts one which faces solaire across the bridge, child 2.

The statue at firelink shrine can be said to also face Gwyn if you take out the height difference, child 3?

These are the only ones that spring to mind, can anyone else help me out or speculate??

EDIT: Also, the one I said related to Gwyn is sitting a large grand chair with coarse wood branches sticking out the side. Possible god relation??
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Statue theory Empty Re: Statue theory

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 pm

And the one in the Parish faces Reah. The one at Catacombs faces a dead Darkmoon Blade....
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Acidic has covered this. They are statues of the first firekeeper with her 4 children, the god of war, gwynevere, gwyndolin and possibly pris. Or they may be all the god of war I cant remember.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:24 am

But where their facing is interesting to be fair i never thought of it that way...
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:03 am

DoughGuy wrote:Acidic has covered this. They are statues of the first firekeeper with her 4 children, the god of war, gwynevere, gwyndolin and possibly pris. .

You say that very factually as if it's been proven. Im just speculating same as acidic. Did he cover the facial expressions? Or why that single one is sitting?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:16 am

Probably. He's very thorough.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

So I bring something to the table and you reply with "it's already been covered, and anything else you suggest has probably been covered".

That's real productive man.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:19 am

I said someone else already has a theory on this, so go look at that because the person who wrote is has very good, very well evidenced ideas and you could decide whether his idea is more likely than yours on not.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 am

Sigh
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 am

In defense of Dough, I acknowledge he came across as fairly glib, but a quick search through the archives will show how active he is and more importantly how open to new ideas as well. Obviously he didn't convey his message effectively to you but all he meant was what he corrected to say later. You may want to check Acidic's thread to see what other conversation there's been. I personally have read very little of his work (although I respect it greatly) but from what I recall this was a topic that lit up the archives for a long time, meaning there might be some good information to sate your curiosity on the subject.

Back to on topic, I'm not sure I recall any discussion on which way they face or not but I'd have to wrack my brain to speculate on a few of them. You'll have to be ok with symbolism on the topic though for one very important reason. The statue in the Painted World is not technically in Lordran so who or what it faces will always be an interpretation. Personally, I would say that, as you find it, the symbolism of having it's back turned to Lordran might be significant, as is the symbolism of it facing toward Lordran when you seek to get out. This might be more important than "who" it's facing since, if you extrapolate the direction, it would be toward Priscilla, then out of the painted world, then to Gwynevere, then that's it. It should go by the O&S building into areas we have no clue about. Again, going back toward symbolism, if statues are facing a singular entity this statue would be a good starting point since it only points toward two possible individuals.

I've always been more interested in the architectural differences seen across the five statues.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks Skare, +1
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:47 am

skarekrow13 wrote:In defense of Dough, I acknowledge he came across as fairly glib, but a quick search through the archives will show how active he is and more importantly how open to new ideas as well. Obviously he didn't convey his message effectively to you but all he meant was what he corrected to say later. You may want to check Acidic's thread to see what other conversation there's been. I personally have read very little of his work (although I respect it greatly) but from what I recall this was a topic that lit up the archives for a long time, meaning there might be some good information to sate your curiosity on the subject.

Back to on topic, I'm not sure I recall any discussion on which way they face or not but I'd have to wrack my brain to speculate on a few of them. You'll have to be ok with symbolism on the topic though for one very important reason. The statue in the Painted World is not technically in Lordran so who or what it faces will always be an interpretation. Personally, I would say that, as you find it, the symbolism of having it's back turned to Lordran might be significant, as is the symbolism of it facing toward Lordran when you seek to get out. This might be more important than "who" it's facing since, if you extrapolate the direction, it would be toward Priscilla, then out of the painted world, then to Gwynevere, then that's it. It should go by the O&S building into areas we have no clue about. Again, going back toward symbolism, if statues are facing a singular entity this statue would be a good starting point since it only points toward two possible individuals.

I've always been more interested in the architectural differences seen across the five statues.

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a long time and I'm well aware of acidics work, and this as far as I have read he has not covered. I didn't appreciate being told to go read something then when I questioned him about it the best he could do was "probably". If his answer is probably then perhaps he should go and read acidics posts and get off my case?

OT: I like what you said about it not being Part of lordran, but that seems like it would match up with my theory considering the whole banishment of priss thing. The only reason I related the statue so closely to priss is the young girl that's with the statue that looks scared; as if she's about to be banished.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 am

Knight, sorry. I know you've been around but merely meant to clear up any dust that got kicked up. I think to make a statue connection you would definitely have to consider if there's a common theme. I'm not a hundred percent sure I get your theory so let me explain what I understand to this point. You're suggesting that the statues represent a "godmother" figure. Do you mean perhaps a specific individual who actually existed or are you stating it could be that the statues themselves were placed as symbolic guardians for Gwyn's family? In either instance, I believe the suggested statue connection is that there is some proximity to a member of the family? The directional connection I think is interesting but would want upon some more thought the Firelink statue would look upon just the fire and then out to the walls and theoretically out of Lordran with nothing special in between. If I recall the geography correctly, if the statue were lowered to meet the Kiln's elevation, it would have it's back turned to Gywn. The one in the parish would look near the wyvern and brush by the Sunlight Altar bonfire statue on its'way to the broken statue that is the actual Sunlight Altar and I believe out again to outside of Lordran. The Sunlight Altar statue would gaze also to the Wyvern, across the bridge, to Solaire's initial placement and then again out of Lordran. The catacombs statue I'm not sure where that gazes besides the grave it overlooks.

My biggest questions (although I haven't cared enough to look for answers really) is why are three of the statues essentially identical except for placement with two others being drastically different in design. Additionally, the two unique statues appear to be architecturally/artistically different than the three identical statues. My assumption is that, despite having five statues, it only represents three children (which implies Gwyn's three kids). This is difficult to back though because one statue is in the painted world which suggests Priscilla and not one of Gwyn's three kids. However, I've ranted that Gwyndolin had a connection with Ariamis so perhaps that statue was placed there to represent 'Dolin and not Pris. He has been known to hide his image via a mask or invisible statue so he could have asked that his baby statue be placed out of sight as well. My last statue thought is that if the three identical statues are one child that it could provide evidence for my "the other Gods were jealous of the God of War" which led to his exile. Three statues, made of better quality than the other two means he was the favored god for the citizens of Lordran.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 am

Mind telling me which of the two are completely different? I can think of the Firelink one, but I can't think of the other one you mean.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 am

I was actually going to ask which ones you thought were the same silly

They all look completely different to me, might be just changes in stance and facial expression, but they are definately all different.

And I wasn't saying anything about the "Godmother" thing I touched upon, i actually dont have a theory for that, so feel free to speculate silly I was just pointing out the fact that they all seem to face someone of some significance, although you're right about the Gwyn one. I got all turned around... shame. Would have been a good theory. I'm going to keep expanding on it though see if i can make another connection. I'm totally sure (After seeing the one in painted world turn to face priss) that they have not been placed just for the location, but also for the direction.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 pm

The Sunlight Altar, Parish, and Catacombs statues all looked identical to me. I admit I did not really look at the facial expression but the baby appeared the same and I went with that. The sword and cloth even seemed identical. Obviously the bases are different as they are in/on a fountain, altar and memorial/monument respectively. The Firelink statue is sitting. I can't recall if the baby has the sword or not honestly on that one. The Painted World Statue if I recall correctly (been a long time) is not a baby at all but a child standing with a mother. The first three I mentioned also all appear to be in great condition while the two unique statues are much more worn and rough looking. This could be the result that those two are exposed more to the elements however as the other three are indoors. However a couple thoughts on that. The Sunlight Altar statue (Broken one, not the mother one) is outdoors but does not appear to be in as rough condition as the two unique mother statues. Obviously it's broken but the stone itself is in much better shape. Second thought, the two are outdoors but let's forget the Painted World one. That one is not inherently tied to decay and wear in a normal sense as the world was constructed by a supremely talented painter. So going to Firelink.....the reason it's exposed to the elements is that the building it was in has crumbled (side note, the PW one is the only one not originally indoors and enshrined) However, the buildings at Firelink (I do think it's plural) are insanely close to the Parish yet are in much much worse condition. It could be assumed that a catastrophic event that caused such damage would not have completely avoided the Parish so my conclusion is that Firelink architecture is much older than the Parish. Therefore the statue is much older than the Parish one and likely the two that look like it. If they weren't made at the same time it opens the door for questions on why there was a significant delay between statues. Like, is the Firelink baby the eldest? Does it represent a different family? Or a different ideology regarding the relationship between mother and child and theology in Lordran? Are the three similar ones Gwyn's kids and the two unique are other children (my guess would be Gwyn and Priscilla)? If the three new ones are Gwyn's kids do they all have a sword to symbolize they were born into war? Etc. etc.
    skeletons_everywhere
    skeletons_everywhere

Post by skeletons_everywhere Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Am I the only one who thought these were statues of Maiden Astraea? Bless her soul.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm