Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Serious_Much
FruitPunchNinja
DamageCK
BLA1NE
Tolvo
callipygias
La0bouchere
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
13 posters

Low SL cap?

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Low SL cap? Empty Low SL cap?

Post by WyrmHero Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:31 am

Do you guys think FROM will lower the SL cap to SL 200 or 100 if they make another Souls game?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Low SL cap? Empty Re: Low SL cap?

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:33 am

Why would they do that?
    La0bouchere
    La0bouchere

Post by La0bouchere Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 am

No, unless they completely change their stats system.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:38 am

So that you have to choose your stats wisely? Faster invasions? More people around the SL range?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:45 am

I think the people at Fromsoft are more concerned with the the actual game of Dark Souls than they are with invaders' PVP wishes and the like. I'm sure it's a concern, but to nowhere near the level it is on this forum.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:46 am

I think the people at Fromsoft are more concerned with the the actual game of Dark Souls than they are with invaders' PVP wishes and the like. I'm sure it's a concern, but to nowhere near the level it is on this forum.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:48 am

They're probably interested in everyone's wishes, but at this point it is probably a better investment on their part to look at the next game. I don't believe they just single out any group of people in their game, otherwise they wouldn't have PvP even in the series.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 am

I like the current system because it allows so much freedom, and you can really tailor a build to your exact liking. I wouldn't mind change, though--not gonna lie, it's a pretty unimaginative system! "Here are your stats, they can go from base up to 99, all of them. Go!" But the change should be more than just a level cap. Actually, if anything, I'd prefer it if they kept it the way it is now; a soft level cap, if you would. It's there (710, give or take), but you're not likely to reach it! Whatever you do between SL1 and 710 (give or take) is totally up to you.

I would love it if From came up with a new leveling system, that would offer as much customization, reward planning as much, but be less plain. I'd like something way out of the box.

Just letting my imagination run, here: something kind of like FFXII's, but expanded upon, could be awesome. Maybe your starting class decides which side of a grid you start on, and wherever you go from there is up to you. Or have multiple grids, even, each with their own specialization, and you could pick which grids you want to focus on and where you want to go within them... I'm just daydreaming here!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:02 am

Yes, a different stat system all together would interest me. But it also comes with the problem that it could fail, so that's another worry. Maybe if they just tweak it enough, and deal with certain issues such as resilience. However yeah, a different system might be more of a breath of fresh air as it is a bit standard in ways.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 am

Are we suggesting specialization trees? The kind you see in a lot of standard RPG's? I'm for that, I guess. But in a way, people sort of already do that with niche 120 builds.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:00 am

A real issue is always balancing a system within PvP or within PvE, but balancing it within both and across the boards? That's fairly hard to do.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 am

Im actually for lowering the sl cap also. I had such a **** session when i decided to play dark souls last night. It really seems like EVERYONE hosts now, being an invader sucks! I havent been to the kiln in age, and i am well aware of how it normally is but this was horrible. I seriously was invading gankers more then people looking for duels, and the people looking for duels were sl200 buffing their weapon as i spawned not bowing ext..... I am very curious and pretty much relying on the dlc arena to keep me interested in pvp.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 am

I was in the Kiln for a couple hours earlier. I invaded maybe three or four solo hosts. The rest were ganks. That's no joke. Something about playing in the evening too. Around 9 or 10 pm EST, all the buttholes come out.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:00 pm

The whole point is complete freedom to do what you want iwth your character, whether you want to screw it up, pump levels beyond online play range or whatever.

The freedom that exists in Souls is one of it's defining features. I doubt they'd want to change that.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:06 pm

I agree, but seriously how many people really ever go to sl714? I would maybe like them to just go back to having max hp be 1900, having no item being able to increase that number. Then balance around that.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Problem is, that reduces freedom in builds. People need to be able to vit gouge as while it's a scar on the face of PvP usually, it's a legitimate strategy that uses stats wisely, just like every other build. Having a HP limit takes away from that.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Yea, but vit builds in demons just had to go to 99 vit. Most vit builds in dark souls dont need to pump vit that much at all to reach 2000+ they just go to 50-60 and use items in place of stats.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 pm

yeah, but that's a significant amount of damage still taken away from them with that. I just think that perhaps the equipment to enhance health should be nerfed or taken away in next game to balance it a little, so that while vit gouge is worthwhile, it's not too serious whilst still being able to wield a powerful elemental weapon.

The issue really is the fact you can still have such power without stat investment due to elemental weapons.. I think increased stat requirement is the answer to that particular problem though.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 pm

i say make it like moster hunter!!! problem solved! but holy crap we would see a lot more turtles.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Monster hunter? lol while there are similarities, it takes patience and learning to the extreme. Utilising everything is more important in that, I'd say actually that monster hunter is harder than dark souls.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:Yea, but vit builds in demons just had to go to 99 vit. Most vit builds in dark souls dont need to pump vit that much at all to reach 2000+ they just go to 50-60 and use items in place of stats.
    I was trying to avoid talking about gear, though, since the topic is the leveling system. The problem with stat enhancing gear, in Dark Souls, is that they're too potent, and that they stack so much. In other games, you'd get rings that give "+5% hp", for example. In Dark Souls, you get "+20% HP, Stamina, and Equip Burden". And then you're able to throw the Mask of the Father on top, which is another +15% equip burden, and then Havel's Ring, which is +50% equip burden... Tally it up, and you've more than doubled your equip burden, and you can now wear whatever you want at SL1. Problem here isn't the leveling system, it's the gear.

(The most ridiculous example of stacking in Dark Souls, in my opinion, is Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Child, + green blossoms. Makes your stamina bar refill almost instantly, completely negating one of Dark Souls's core mechanics, the fact that you're supposed to be mindful of your stamina. I'll duel people who stack stamina regen, playing cautiously and waiting for my opportunity to strike when their gauge would be empty, but then I realized their gauge is never empty. They can spam R1 and rolls and block all they want and never get caught with their pants down because their stamina will always regen fast enough for them to block again or roll or even parry. How pro is that, right? Waste your stamina like a fool, then when your mindful opponent comes in to strike when you should be out of stamina, you can pull off a clutch parry... Stacking.)

Last edited by BLA1NE on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Heh, look at Disgaea. You can reach LVL 9999. But you aren't supposed to do that in an normal, non-completionist playthrough.

Dark Souls is one of the few games where you can lock your leveling up; most games don't allow that. I like the current system, but I think stats should be rebalanced. For example, Resistance is pretty worthless. Why not make it add poise in small amounts? Like, 0.5 per point, up to 20, then it goes down to 0.3, and when you reach 40, it goes to 0.1.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Monster hunter? lol while there are similarities, it takes patience and learning to the extreme. Utilising everything is more important in that, I'd say actually that monster hunter is harder than dark souls.

moster hunter is all about your skill since you cant raise your hp and theres so many armor combos that are so different because of the armor skills. and it is definately harder than demon's and dark souls, i think it's the hardest game i've played.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:11 pm

It's also a genius idea, why the hell can't it come back to Playstation home consoles? 🇳🇴

Just keeping it on nintendo consoles and handhelds? It's killing the series.. There's no progress at all and it's sad sad
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Yeah, well, that's Crapcom for you. They don't care about innovation and making the best games they can anymore when half-assed gets them more profits. Thank god From was around this gen, or it would have been an almost-complete write-off!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm