Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Lightning and stat scaling

grimmyr13

Lightning and stat scaling Empty Lightning and stat scaling

Post by grimmyr13 Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 am

So, with the new 1.05 patch. I was wondering when ur stat modifiers on weapons will out dmg lightning. For example the Shotel. So far Even with 99 Dex and 99 Str it still does about 3 dmg less then Lightning Shotel. I'm wondering if this is right or my info is wrong.

Source - https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Lightning and stat scaling Empty Re: Lightning and stat scaling

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 am

What you are probably confusing is that the +15 upgrade does single damage at a Higher AR (remember, you are looking at AR not damage on those sites) while lightning has a higher total AR, but its split into 2 types. So when the +15 attacks it does say 300 AR at a single defence, while the lightining does 175 physical and 175 lightning against 2 defences, thus doing less damage overall due to 2 defences working on 2 smaller attacks.

Welcome to the forums!
    grimmyr13

Post by grimmyr13 Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 am

Ahh ok thx. Though what does AR mean? Armor Resistance?

Also if i got occult +5 would i ever have higher numbers then lightning. Occult scales off of multiple stats and applies multiple types of dmg, physical + magical. Then there is 110 Occult aux effect which i have no idea what it does.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 am

AR = Attack rating. Its what the attacker uses.

Occult suffers the same problem, it hits 2 defences and is thus weaker. The only time occult is beeter is whne you have 50ish fth. The 110 means that when the occult damage bonus is applicable that bonus is 10%. The bonus applies to servants of the gods like silver knights and such.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 am

^What Dough said. Attack Rating (AR) is not to be confused with damage inflicted. AR is the number you see for your weapon on the stats screen, and is only a value that represents potential damage. If you attacked an enemy that had 0 defense, then you would inflict as much damage as your AR stat. No enemy has 0 defense, though. And, because of the way damage inflicted is calculated in Dark Souls (like Dough was also saying), having split damage types (ex: elemental/ physical, rather than pure physical) goes through 2 defenses rather than 1, so more AR is blocked.

Trust us, single damage-type weapons (pure physical, or the pure magical exceptions) are much stronger than their split damage counterparts (elemental, divine, magic, etc.), despite their deceptively lower ARs!
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 am

An addendum to the above: Pure damage of a single type will always be better than split. So while the moonlight butterfly horn may seem weak, especially in comparison to the dragonslayer spear, it scales with int and deals PURE magic damage. Same goes for the moonlight greatsword.
    grimmyr13

Post by grimmyr13 Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:19 am

o.O oooh Ok, ty ty ty. I'm trying to figure out what my pvp weapon spec should be. This is helping alot.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:22 am

Look into scaling gear, grimmy. And use this site to plan out builds http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

It's one of the most comprehensive planners for dark souls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:26 pm