Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
User
WyrmHero
ZikoLogiKa NL
TehInfamousAmos
About8547Souls
Tolvo
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
DoughGuy
reim0027
roanispe
RandelOolacile
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Emergence
18 posters

Looking for Feedback

Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Looking for Feedback Empty Looking for Feedback

Post by Emergence Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Hey folks!

In an effort to improve the site (wiki/forums) I wanted to take a moment and solicit feedback from the community as it relates to where you go for DkS content.

What are some other sites you visit for content other than what the wiki/forums provide?

Not looking for other communities or wikis that function similiarly to us per say, but unique places where you are finding content that is simply not offered or offered in smaller doses at this site.

For example, Youtube and Deviantart are two quick examples, as they both offer extensive DkS content in video and art that is not prevalent on the wiki/forums. Other than these two, are there other unique content sites you visit? Guides, news, tips, art, etc.

We are trying to get an idea of how far people spread out for DkS related content, and analyze it to see where we can better facilitate that process.

Thank you tons, all feedback is appreciated in spades!

Last edited by Emergence on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Looking for Feedback Empty Re: Looking for Feedback

Post by Emergence Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:57 pm

P.S. if you visit Youtube or Deviantart please say so! I gave them as examples of places I go but it would still be helpful to gauge how many go there as well.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Other than the forums I got to YouTube and Wikidot :oops: mostly.

I can give you the specific YT channels that I go to if that would help narrow your search.
    RandelOolacile
    RandelOolacile
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RandelOolacile Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com - various channels
    http://darksouls.noizmaker.net/ - awesome user created web comics with dark souls as the main theme.
    http://m.fanfiction.net/game/Dark_Souls/ - great fanfic site! This is my dark souls bookmark. =D

And of course here. Honestly, this is the best resource I've found though! Seems like the only thing were missing here is a dedicated art forum.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:33 pm

A whole lot of content gets posted in 4chan /vg/ Dark Souls General. Too many people talking with no idea what they are saying, but whole lot of people that do, too. I get quite a few charts from there, but many times it is a bit scarce on info. I visit it if there is nothing else to do, as an old thread will get deleted after a while to make space for a new one, and you can miss many chances for original, or detailed content if you don't save images. While it is one of the 'Safe for Work' boards, and generally well moderated, it is still meant for people ages 18 and older. Do exercise some discretion.

I spend some time on Nico Nico Douga to watch Dark Souls videos, I'd suggest a rudimentary understanding of Japanese before going there. It will help you find the videos that you are looking for, and you'll also need an account to actually watch anything. However, you can see many of the videos worth watching are on Sansviedot's Youtube channel. Other than that, I just visit the typical places.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:50 pm

I get my info from both wikis and YouTube I know, how unoriginal, right?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:07 pm

I use youtube but mainly for watching challenge runs and the like.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I only use our wiki (cus I'm a loyal_lad), and youtube... All I can say is video sections would be awesome, you don't even need to host anything as everyone just embeds links happy
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:37 am

Here and google search when needed. Official page and Facebook on occasion as well
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:12 am

I indeed go to Deviant, as well as youtube where I watch certain channels. Most specifically, I enjoy watching the Garo invader haha.
    About8547Souls
    About8547Souls
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by About8547Souls Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:06 am

I go to Google, Youtube, (To watch some dude bwahaha.)Deviantart, Preparetodie, Gamefaqs, and some other places that are random.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 am

About8547Souls wrote: Youtube, (To watch some dude bwahaha.)

...... :shock:
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:17 am

I use Deviantart and upload on it, I also use youtube and upload on there. The one other site I use is Twitch.tv
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am

mainly this forum ., but I use Youtube to watch entertaining Dks videos , and usually Twitch.tv for watching live streams.

To me ,

this is the most organised , elaborate & userfriendly Dark Souls forum on the web , it's also the only wiki forum Im a member of.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:03 pm

I used the wikidot a lot, but now I just go to mugenmonkey to check ARs, defense, poise, etc.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I just use the Forums, usually using Youtube to check Trailers for Dark Souls... that is pretty much it.

In my opinion, I prefer this Wiki better than the other.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who use Dot actually.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Not me, people like to look around. I guess they like the Wikidot for some reason; Must be due to the colourful and organized site in general being that of Wikidot.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm

lol.

Wikidot is not more colorful and it's certainly not more organized. Spelling and grammatical errors abound on there. Not to mention all the contradictory information, oftentimes in the very same paragraph...

I just use it sometimes because I feel I get my question answered faster on there. Not sure why...
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm gonna keep it open for a bit longer. Also, not looking for feedback/comparisons about other wikis or similar sites where people go for similar info to us. Looking more for unique, or niche sites that provide very specific content.
    Memomo
    Memomo

Post by Memomo Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Late feedback but here's some ideas on how to increase your traffic and pageviews.

Put less navigation on the sidebar and more on the front page
    All mobile users cannot see your sidebar navigation, any traffic that comes from a phone is most likely just going to click off the site right away because they can't figure out how to navigate.

Change your main page title to Dark Souls Wiki

Start practicing white hat SEO stuff so Google picks up more links for your wiki. Instead of having the main page be named home, name it Dark Souls Wiki. It will drive more searches to your wiki, especially anyone who uses Google (everyone)!

Fix your metadescription
    Your wikis metadescription is used from the main page, it's time to fix the main page and instead of allowing it to say "Register here, etc.", change it to a description of your website. It will encourage more visitors to look when they are searching, and provide a friendly description of what the wiki is. Make the wiki modest, don't try exclaiming that you are the #1 resource for Dark Souls like other wikis, focus more on saying the wiki is community driven and completely volunteer. It makes you look less greedy and more like a volunteer platform for passionate gamers. People who play Dark Souls are usually passionate anyways, right?

Make the wiki easier on the eyes
    The content area clashes with the background, the templates are lacking any sort of style. There's nothing wrong with this, people love simple things, that's why Google works. The style itself clashes in a lot of areas though which can make the wiki unappealing for visual aesthetics. The eyes should be drawn more towards navigation, and your navigation is hidden on a sidebar. Focus on improving your search function if possible, although I'm not sure if WikiSpaces allows you to alter it.

More more more HTML
    You have the option to inject it, you could really spice up some pages if you worked on injecting more HTML in areas that don't need to be edited, such as the main page, navigation pages, list pages (after they are complete). It's also possible to add custom CSS, you can use this on your templates to stylize the tables, or even just change the internal CSS to do it.

More information
    It's time to sit down and dig into anything this game will say to you, start adding NPC dialogue, start adding drop rates in percentages. Add information that is interesting, especially if you can sit down and calculate it by hitting monsters and figuring out what their exact drop rate is. This wiki has a lot of editors and I'm sure most people would be willing to participate in figuring out drop rates.

More pictures, clearer pictures
    I don't have the PC version of this game sadly so it's hard to get clear pictures, but anyone who does can easily take screenshots and grab icons that can be cropped at added. Start adding all of the item images and things like that, people want to see that. Get them as clear as possible, in png format. Give them simple names that match with all other icons so they can be easily found and reuploaded if need. If you have the PC version, hit printscreen in game, paste it into a paint program, then save it as a png image instead of jpg to get rid of all that fuzziness (your computer will automatically save it as a jpg, but you can bypass that by pasting the image into a paint program and saving it).

Did I say more navigation?
    I'll say it again, this is what makes people browse your wiki, add in navigation templates to the bottom of pages, move more navigation into the content and off the side bar. When people are done looking at a page, they'll see the navigation template on the bottom and be encouraged to check out another related page. Fun, right?

Get the client open
    Anything is possible, including opening the Dark Souls client. If you are savvy enough, it's possible to get the png clear icon images out of the client, the most important thing is to dig out the images because it's almost impossible to get them just by taking screenshots, they will never be cleaner than the client images. Most likely, the publisher will not care about opening the client if you are only doing it to pull out image files. They only care about cheaters, they don't care about people looking for information. Believe it or not, this is how most gaming publishers get client information before others, they get one of their programmers to open the client and extract the data, then drop it onto their website via XML or whatever.

Get your host to improve your site
    Most likely, you have one of the largest wikis on wikispaces, you are giving them tons of traffic. It's time for them to repay the favor, ask them to give your wiki extensions, like allowing HTML to be written in the page instead of injecting. Ask to write custom permissions, ask for more security. Get them to start doing work for you, you give them traffic, you deserve more features. Just keep bugging them until they do it. Tell them you want help increasing the traffic, ask for AbuseFilters so you can allow more anonymous editing, therefore getting more traffic in return. These people are functioning with the idea of money in mind, so always put things into terms of increased traffic and they will most likely be willing to do it.

Buy a domain
    Domains are pretty cheap and the shorter your domain, the more traffic you'll get. If it's an issue of money, I'd be more than willing to donate the $12 or so to buy a better domain. WikiSpaces gives you the option of using your own, so why not? Stick with .com or .org, .org implies that you are more focused towards volunteer editing and is used often for wikis, .com is just popular. Stick with a name that is easy to remember, possibly pick a name that is related to the entire series instead of just one game, this way you can keep expanding your wiki well past the life of Dark Souls and into the life of their newest games and their old ones too (Demon Souls)!
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Memomo wrote:Late feedback but here's some ideas on how to increase your traffic and pageviews.

Put less navigation on the sidebar and more on the front page
    All mobile users cannot see your sidebar navigation, any traffic that comes from a phone is most likely just going to click off the site right away because they can't figure out how to navigate.

Wikispaces had an update that broke the mobile side navigation, we are still trying to figure out how to fix it. There's a link to a custom navigation on the home page of the site that mobile users can use in the meantime. If you have any ideas as to what could have broken the mobile CSS, please let us know!

Memomo wrote:
    Change your main page title to Dark Souls Wiki

Start practicing white hat SEO stuff so Google picks up more links for your wiki. Instead of having the main page be named home, name it Dark Souls Wiki. It will drive more searches to your wiki, especially anyone who uses Google (everyone)!

We can do this but we are already ranked first for any search on Dark Souls Wiki... not sure how this helps.

Memomo wrote:Fix your metadescription
    Your wikis metadescription is used from the main page, it's time to fix the main page and instead of allowing it to say "Register here, etc.", change it to a description of your website. It will encourage more visitors to look when they are searching, and provide a friendly description of what the wiki is. Make the wiki modest, don't try exclaiming that you are the #1 resource for Dark Souls like other wikis, focus more on saying the wiki is community driven and completely volunteer. It makes you look less greedy and more like a volunteer platform for passionate gamers. People who play Dark Souls are usually passionate anyways, right?

Yep, forgot to do that xD

Memomo wrote:Make the wiki easier on the eyes
    The content area clashes with the background, the templates are lacking any sort of style. There's nothing wrong with this, people love simple things, that's why Google works. The style itself clashes in a lot of areas though which can make the wiki unappealing for visual aesthetics. The eyes should be drawn more towards navigation, and your navigation is hidden on a sidebar. Focus on improving your search function if possible, although I'm not sure if WikiSpaces allows you to alter it.

I know of no way to improve the search function. We haven't had complaints about the design of the sidebar or the site in general, but if you have a design in mind maybe you could mock it up?

Memomo wrote:More more more HTML
    You have the option to inject it, you could really spice up some pages if you worked on injecting more HTML in areas that don't need to be edited, such as the main page, navigation pages, list pages (after they are complete). It's also possible to add custom CSS, you can use this on your templates to stylize the tables, or even just change the internal CSS to do it.

I'm not sure if we can do this or how. We created the site and it grew organically into what it is now through the contributions of many people, and aesthetics weren't really our priority until Baal took charge of the technical side, and I like how it looks. If it can be improved, he is probably the person to talk to about ideas.

Memomo wrote:More information
    It's time to sit down and dig into anything this game will say to you, start adding NPC dialogue, start adding drop rates in percentages. Add information that is interesting, especially if you can sit down and calculate it by hitting monsters and figuring out what their exact drop rate is. This wiki has a lot of editors and I'm sure most people would be willing to participate in figuring out drop rates.

More information is added daily but of course with a game of this depth there is still lots of missing data. The best way to gather it would be to post in the forums and organize a research session with other members, similar to what Blaine did for the weapon's missing info.

Memomo wrote:More pictures, clearer pictures
    I don't have the PC version of this game sadly so it's hard to get clear pictures, but anyone who does can easily take screenshots and grab icons that can be cropped at added. Start adding all of the item images and things like that, people want to see that. Get them as clear as possible, in png format. Give them simple names that match with all other icons so they can be easily found and reuploaded if need. If you have the PC version, hit printscreen in game, paste it into a paint program, then save it as a png image instead of jpg to get rid of all that fuzziness (your computer will automatically save it as a jpg, but you can bypass that by pasting the image into a paint program and saving it).

All the images we have were submitted by members as the wiki grew so they are disparate and not always great. We are hoping that the PC users will be able to assist in increasing the quality happy

Memomo wrote:Did I say more navigation?
    I'll say it again, this is what makes people browse your wiki, add in navigation templates to the bottom of pages, move more navigation into the content and off the side bar. When people are done looking at a page, they'll see the navigation template on the bottom and be encouraged to check out another related page. Fun, right?

We have something similar to this for the Places section, as the walkthrough progresses to different areas.

Memomo wrote:Get the client open
    Anything is possible, including opening the Dark Souls client. If you are savvy enough, it's possible to get the png clear icon images out of the client, the most important thing is to dig out the images because it's almost impossible to get them just by taking screenshots, they will never be cleaner than the client images. Most likely, the publisher will not care about opening the client if you are only doing it to pull out image files. They only care about cheaters, they don't care about people looking for information. Believe it or not, this is how most gaming publishers get client information before others, they get one of their programmers to open the client and extract the data, then drop it onto their website via XML or whatever.

I'm not sure how this would be done, I have the PS3 version and have not looked into hacking its files, nor do I have plans to learn about it.

Memomo wrote:Get your host to improve your site
    Most likely, you have one of the largest wikis on wikispaces, you are giving them tons of traffic. It's time for them to repay the favor, ask them to give your wiki extensions, like allowing HTML to be written in the page instead of injecting. Ask to write custom permissions, ask for more security. Get them to start doing work for you, you give them traffic, you deserve more features. Just keep bugging them until they do it. Tell them you want help increasing the traffic, ask for AbuseFilters so you can allow more anonymous editing, therefore getting more traffic in return. These people are functioning with the idea of money in mind, so always put things into terms of increased traffic and they will most likely be willing to do it.

Wikispaces has been pretty good in accommodating our crazy traffic, and they have upgrade options that grant specific permissions etc. We haven't needed them so far, but if someone who is knowledgeable wishes to discuss some perks with wikispaces we would all be happy happy

Memomo wrote:Buy a domain
    Domains are pretty cheap and the shorter your domain, the more traffic you'll get. If it's an issue of money, I'd be more than willing to donate the $12 or so to buy a better domain. WikiSpaces gives you the option of using your own, so why not? Stick with .com or .org, .org implies that you are more focused towards volunteer editing and is used often for wikis, .com is just popular. Stick with a name that is easy to remember, possibly pick a name that is related to the entire series instead of just one game, this way you can keep expanding your wiki well past the life of Dark Souls and into the life of their newest games and their old ones too (Demon Souls)!

Wikispaces does indeed give domains but the pricetag on those options seemed excessive and thus not worth it. I absolutely agree that it would be great to tie the next game together, it is partly the reason why this is soulswiki and not darksoulswiki happy

Thank you very much for your feedback and I hope you can help us enact some of these ideas big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Oh, one things I've always wondered about. Is there any way that when clicking on a thread we can get to the last page instantly, or even last post? It's a small thing, but it is a bit tedious each time to click on a thread, go to the first page, then click go to the last. On a first look sure you'll want to see the first post and read the thread, but I often check threads on a minutely basis so maybe just to me it is a bit of a problem. But I always wondered if there was an option for it.
    Memomo
    Memomo

Post by Memomo Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

@ Tolvo

Looking for Feedback YEZQk

Last edited by Memomo on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier