Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Knight Alundil
Mr.Faith
Reaperfan
Mordreid
8 posters

Demons Souls Xbox 360 port?

Mordreid
    Mordreid

Demons Souls Xbox 360 port? Empty Demons Souls Xbox 360 port?

Post by Mordreid Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:39 am

I was thinking about this , since that Dark Souls is coming to PC which is a regular console to PC port. Then why can't From do a port to Xbox 360 for their acclaimed game Demon's Souls so that I and all other Xbox owners do get to experience the game that started it all.

Am I out on a limb here risking the wrath of fanboys thinking that the Souls franchise should have been keept away from Xbox in the first place.

From Software, if anyone of you are reading this, please consider this to make a Demon's Souls port to Xbox 360 so that we on the Xbox community can all enjoy your game like Dark Souls.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Demons Souls Xbox 360 port? Empty Re: Demons Souls Xbox 360 port?

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 am

It would be great for more people to experience it, but unfortunately there are a few blocks in the way of this happening that make any chance of it occuring very, very small if not impossible.

The most important is the commercial success of Demon's Souls. More specifically, that there wasn't any "success" at all. It was a sales flop. Like Psychonauts, it was a brilliant game that virtually everyone who played it loved, but it didn't recieve wide enough attention and hype or advertising to actually sell well. If FROM tried to pitch this port to anyone, the response would likely be something like "we aren't going to dump loads of money into a port for a game that didn't even sell well to begin with."

Second is the actual process of making the port. The reason a PC port was doable was because the 360 shares very similar hardware to a PC, so very little programming shifts or compatability issues had to be dealt with. Making a port for the 360 version though was basically having to reprogram the game from scratch to match new hardware settings. This wasn't originally commercially viable for Demon's Souls at its release because the 360 itself has abyssmal sales in Japan and they weren't sure how the international audience would take to the game. The reason we got one for Dark Souls was because FROM realized it's international audience, read as; the places the 360 did sell well, would make it a worthwhile investment into extra costs to code a 360 version.

Lastly is the age of the game. On top of the bad sales and extra costs of porting, it's an old game. Again, back to the imaginary investors, but they would probably add in to their response something like "Well it didn't sell well the first time, why would it sell well this time?" Those who played it before wouldn't likely want to repurchase it, and several of the prospective customer base would be just as content sticking with Dark Souls, with the only driving force behind the older game being curiosity as to "what was Dark Souls like before?" They wouldn't want to buy an outdated version of their favorite game (Dark Souls) when they could just play Dark Souls.

Long story short, Demon's Souls was a commercial flop that was created years ago, and wouldn't be worth a company's time or money to make a port for another system.

This is unfortunate indeed, since Dark Souls did in fact bring over many fans to the series through the 360, and they have every right to experience such a wonderful game. However, short of the series exploding in popularity (despite how much more attention Dark Souls drew to it, it's still a rather under-the-radar game series) and gaining a collector's edition made for digital distribution in a few years, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. It will have to recieve similar treatment to Banjo-Kazooie, where the nostalgia factor of old-school Souls Series fans combined with the lessened costs of a purely digital title on the XBLA or PSN evens out to make it a commercially profitable idea.
    Mordreid
    Mordreid

Post by Mordreid Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 am

Well I agree there are some financial problems, but the reason yourself are pointing at is that now with the commercial success of Dark Souls on both systems that would at least make it viable to think about making such a thing.
    Many fans of Dark Souls I am sure would dive over the opportunity to play Demon's Souls with online capablities on their Xbox machines. There is a market potential here, it's just a question if FROM want to invest the time to pitch the idea to Namco or any other distributor.
    But you have indeed stated good points as to why this won't happen but I still would like to see it come into fruition.
    Mr.Faith

Post by Mr.Faith Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 am

If it was the other way around, if demons souls was only a 360 exclusive and i had played dark souls on ps3 and fallen in love with it. I would just save my money up and buy an xbox JUST for that one game. Seriously...

If you love a game, it should not matter what consol you are playing it on.. :-)
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

I'm actually one of those people. I purchased a ps3 so i could play demons souls too. Now can you imagine the rage i was going through when we thought the PC users were getting content the console users weren't? considering i'd already spent around £250 on souls games alone? Yeh... was pretty miffed lol
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

I would love for this to happen, and I challenge Reaper's point that DeS would be a sales flop. DkS did great on the 360, I'm sure nearly all of those fans would relish a chance to buy and play DeS on their console of choice. And, if followed up right, I believe it could act as a perfect segue to the DkS successor. I don't see how it could fail.

As to the techno-babble of how a port to the 360 would be done on the on the technological level, I'll just excuse myself from that argument as I have no bucking idea how these things work.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Dark Souls is still a niche game. Reaper is right; who would want to play an outdated version of the same game? Shame they never went full PC with it; maybe we would have it on Steam by now.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Sony own the rights to demon souls. End of discussion, no arguing. A port simply cannot happen.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 pm

^
    This. It is why dark souls was a spiritual successor instead of Demon's Souls 2.

The intro even says "A Sony Computer Entertainment production." It's about as likely as God of War coming to 360.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Or Halo to PS3.

It's a shame though, I think players should get to experience whatever games they want, without company rivalries getting in the way. That, of course, is a naive and foolish notion, however.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm