Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Tolvo
dancash1808
Forum Pirate
Pesth
skarekrow13
cloudyeki
ICEFANG
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
johnnyjwa
mofomey
RANT
TehInfamousAmos
bloodpixel
Ghadis_God
raecor14
DoughGuy
Rynn
21 posters

I find spears to be boring honestly.

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

I find spears to be boring honestly. - Page 2 Empty Re: I find spears to be boring honestly.

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:19 pm

I actually prefer the ones who turtle behind a shield with a spear, i can usually hit them with chaos great fireballs or roll bs them. Its the flipping mom tanks that two hand the SKS/DSS and just mash r1 and never let you get close. I usually just pull out a SKS and run up and mash r1 and we trade blows until one of us is dead, sometimes i actually have more hp 8) Its boring, yes. For my first playthroughs(pve) of souls games having a greatsword and a spear is a great combo though.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

I find spears to be boring honestly. - Page 2 Empty Re: I find spears to be boring honestly.

Post by Rynn Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:but it usually ends in me having taken no damage whilst my opponent bleeds on the ground, even if that player has a history of beating me should I use any other weapon.
    ^
    Only people I can't beat with them is gankers.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 pm

@tolvo I've yet to see a good spear user get parried. I'm sure its happened, but I haven't seen it. If they screw up or don't know any better and attack up close and/or attack several times in a row then parry it up, but I can, and have seen others, just dance around at the very edge of the longer spears range and poke from time to time. Its tremendously difficult to predict this type of attack, and more difficult still to effectively parry due to the reach of the weapon.

They're not unbeatable, if that was your point, but I can also corner trap Akuma to death with Chun-li, that doesn't mean he isn't the best character in street fighter 2
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:32 pm

If one is aggressive enough, no matter how good of a spear user you can force them into a position in which they can get parried. Otherwise they just won't be attacking, which would mean free attacks on them anyway. Rolling great clubs, now those are the ones that annoy me haha. Spears just never bugged me much, but I know everything has different things there are issues with. Rolling R1 great club was mine, but spears I never thought were that powerful.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

And... that's not true... about not beating gankers with them...
    It just takes forever. With a spear, I can run around for 20 minutes hitting gankers for 300 damage a hit... letting them run out of flasks, and then whittle them fully to death.
    Takes forever, but it can be done. I've noticed a lot of hosts don't bow if I have a spear, and even less refrain from healing... and why should they? I'm untouchable, as is licensed by nearly killing them 6 times before they kill me once.

Also, Tolvo.... I genuinely doubt you've fought a good spear user then. If you are too agressive, I'll rack up 700 damage while you get your 400-500 damage blow off. Spears can trade blood for blood too.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 pm

i've had no trouble beating spear users, perhaps they just wern't very skilled players i don't know, usually i just do roll through attacks, roll bs, or get in close with a shield and get bleed
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:37 pm

I've never fought a single spear user that knows what they are doing? People in FC, randoms in the burg, out of all the gankers and players I've never fought ONE that was good? Now that, sounds quite ridiculous to me. You give my opponents too little credit, just because I fought them wearing a pair of tights doesn't diminish who they are. Except the gankers, for them it totally does.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:56 pm

There are things that can be done, but the only way to kill a good spear user is to get them to make mistakes. Even if you anticipate the attack, its tough at best to do anything about it. The large club 1h r2 is my most effective solution, if I'm lucky it's chained into a bs while they're stunned and a wakeup roll r1, but that actually requires me to hit them first.

I kill most spear users I face, but it always takes significantly more effort than normal. With the good spear users, I usually either go blow for blow using a spear, or get mauled because I didn't switch. Next time we meet I cast twop to stop their rolling and deadangle them to death, then ignore the hatemail. Actually the only time I use twop, I'm not big on debuffs most of the time. (they're usually not balanced well)

EDIT:I have no problem with people using them, but I hate dealing with them. Its the least fun way to lose a fight, just not being able to retaliate. IMO, the only weapon that needs its parry window increased, especially as you get towards the end of its range. Actually, thats one of only 2 changes I would make to the game.
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

So you never faced a good spear user?:
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:03 pm

I can't disagree with a man in tights.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 pm

personally i like spears, especially againt zweihanders since i can stab them in the face safetly while avoiding stun lock, and it they get close i pull out a pgs and carve them up (im learning how to dead angle with this so parries are only occasionlly an issue), thats a best of both worlds set up really, range and speed, and speed, power and bleed with low range.

though i would like it if spears could be used a staves as well since irl most spear users use the haft as a weapon as well as the head.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Ditto with longswords and claymores though, especially in both hands, the user was as likely to smack you in the head with the guard as they were anything else.

Really, mose every part of any weapon was used, both to attack and defend, if weilded by a skilled user in a 1v1 situation.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 pm

yeah... i bet the kick animations could be replaced by pommel bashes on most swords... and the fancier axes have pointy parts that are never used for stabbing... oh well nothing can be that perfect. all in all dks has done a great job!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:37 am