Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Spife
Stenr Reisa
6 posters

New Player build advice...

Stenr Reisa

New Player build advice... Empty New Player build advice...

Post by Stenr Reisa Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Hello, just got Dark Souls the other day and I think its pretty awesome.

My first character is around level 18, a pyromancer, and was wondering if anyone could link me to a build that is decent for pvp AND pve, good for a beginner that wants to try out everything/everywhere. I'd like to be able to use both weapons and magic, if that helps.

Thanks!
    Spife
    Spife

New Player build advice... Empty Re: New Player build advice...

Post by Spife Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Some one with more experience should weigh in, but initial thoughts are that you should play the game more, and then make a character for pvp.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:03 pm

you really should do your first play through and whatever weapon you like make it +15 and level up the stat that it scales with then go with either int or faith, depends if you like defensive spells(faith) or offesinve spells(int). just dont level up resistance its not worth it, really your first build sohule be your high sl build so you can try everything and than make a build around the weapons you like.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 pm

Well some of the more basic weapons/ popular weapons out there are the Claymore and the Katana.

I would suggest the Claymore for PvE rather than PvP as it is everywhere right now and lots of players out there would rather BS you than fight one. Also its moveset is quite easily countered.

Also Katana's are pretty big. Moveset also very easily countered. But with the Bleed statistic it can inflict on enemies it can be very useful.

For PvP I suggest just trying out weapons as you find them in game and seeing which ones you like the most. If you like range try bows or spears, if you like smushing things go for somekind of Great Ax, or if you like a bit of finnesse try the trusty Falchion or my personal favourite the Shield ignoring Shotel.

Also love the name man. Eragon right, I loved those books? "Stone, rise" if im not mistaken.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

As I've said many, many times before, the dex/pyro build is probably the most user friendly build there is. Particularly katana/pyro builds. That's what I'm going to suggest it if you plan to PvP in the future. FruitPunchNinja has a good dex/pyro build and I think I also have a good dex/pyro build. If you want the stats just ask and i'd be happy to post them, and I'm sure the Tasty Beverage Assassin would as well.
    Stenr Reisa

Post by Stenr Reisa Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 pm

ViralEnsign_ wrote:
    Also love the name man. Eragon right, I loved those books? "Stone, rise" if im not mistaken.
    Yup! I liked them too!

As I've said many, many times before, the dex/pyro build is probably the most user friendly build there is. Particularly katana/pyro builds. That's what I'm going to suggest it if you plan to PvP in the future. FruitPunchNinja has a good dex/pyro build and I think I also have a good dex/pyro build. If you want the stats just ask and i'd be happy to post them, and I'm sure the Tasty Beverage Assassin would as well.

Sure, that would be great if you could, I was just looking for a general build that would let me kind of try everything out.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Yea if you like pyro then dex will increase the casting speed of your pyromancies. Its as fast as possible at 45dex. I say same thing as rant, do your first playthrough and find what weapon you like best. If you like pyro then a dex weapon would best fit, but dont let that hold you back. Honestly don't even worry to much about pvp your first time through, its more of a replay value thing. It takes quite a bit of practice to pvp successfully, a bit of a learning curve. Don't let getting backstabed every fight stop you, you can eventually get good enough to stop most of those attempts and even punish those who try. Good luck!
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Vit 50
    Att 19
    End 48
    Str 16
    Dex 45
    Res 12 (useless)
    Intel 10
    Faith 8

Pyro starting class.

Here's why I built it the way that I did:
    I cranked Endurance so I could equip the Black Iron gaunts/greavea to hit the 2h katans/spear breakpoint while not having to adjust my ring slots, which means I get to keep the BDCR for extra pyro damage.

I went with 19 att because, in my experience, you don't need more than five slots in your typical 1v1.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Yup Check Out MugenMonkeys Dark Souls character builder for easy build archetypes and a really usefull tool to make your own

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHlyb21hbmNlciwyNCwxMiwxNywyMiwxOCwxMiwxMCw4LDAsMjQsMjQsMjQsMjQsMjUsMjIsMTUzLDk4LDExMywxMTIsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLDEsMjcsMzAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbg==
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Posting on a "smart" phone BLOWS. Anyway, in most ganks you wont even need poise to beat 'em with this setup. Just get them chasing you, cast Chaos FB and throw it at your feet behind you. They'll typically eat both parts of it and stun, which opens up an opportunity to cast Fire Whip either in front of or behind you, depending on their migration, and then close it with a solid GC if they're still alive. With this build, it's gotten to the point where dealing with gankers is like tying my shoes. Same method every time, pretty much always effective. Pyro casts that deal damage in 2-3 parts are SOOO effective against ganks you'll be breezing through them. They'll be toast before they can even start sh*tting their pants.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 pm

I sort of wish the game loaded with a disclaimer that said "When you first start PvPing you're going to get pwned constantly because you don't know anything about anything. Seriously, dude, yeah you... there's more to this game than backstabs. Swear."
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Also you could look for a dueling buddy in the Trade and Player help section.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

I accept pretty much all practice requests anytime I'm online, and the majority of the players on this forum are the same way. It's a smaller community with respect to some of the other forums, but I think it really just makes us a more close-knit group, which is why I'll go out of my way to help a fellow forum-goer.

If you want PvP practice, just ask. Or come to FC. We'll be glad to beat you up until you get the hang of it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:50 pm