Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
meridam99
FexDS
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
JY4answer
Tolvo
Carphil
Emergence
Midgar
Spurgun
Serious_Much
sen545331
JohnnyHarpoon
16 posters

    ***********

    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    *********** Empty ***********

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:14 am

    I think the censorship should be eliminated. I know this won't be terribly popular with the Mods, but I've just been really against censorship in any form for as long as I can remember, and have to at least bring up the issue.

    Mainly, the problem I have is that anybody with half a brain knows what is being said, anyway, and thus the reader actually ends up with the **** end of the stick because they have to feel guilty for guessing at/thinking of the word that the poster typed, while the poster gets away scot-free by having their cusses asterisked away.

    Just my opinion on the matter.
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted


    Posts : 112
    Reputation : 13
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by sen545331 Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:32 am

    I wouldn't go so far as to get rid of censorship, but being a little more loose with it may help

    Many people use these words for exclaiming and describing with which they can't think of a better word (at least to get the point across with "oomph")

    Could revise the censorship rules and make the penalty for breaking said rules harsher, don't know what else you could say for it

    (Age is one thing, but this is a forum for a supposedly "mature" audience, at least the game rating, anyways)
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:37 am

    sen545331 wrote:
    (Age is one thing, but this is a forum for a supposedly "mature" audience, at least the game rating, anyways)

    Truth.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 am

    However guys you gotta remember people are on here openly admitting they're 15, 16 years old, and that means the mods in all realism have to use censorship because of people that young on the forum.

    I agree though that censorship is dumb though, wasn't any on the old one dunno why there should be here :|

    even made glutebrah change his name..
    avatar
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead


    Posts : 5553
    Reputation : 119
    Join date : 2012-01-29
    Age : 25
    Location : Finland!

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Spurgun Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:00 am

    Serious_Much wrote:However guys you gotta remember people are on here openly admitting they're 15, 16 years old, and that means the mods in all realism have to use censorship because of people that young on the forum.

    lol silly i hear 10 times more "bad" words home than i have read here or on some other forum, both as in real words and in **********
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:07 am

    hellooo wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:However guys you gotta remember people are on here openly admitting they're 15, 16 years old, and that means the mods in all realism have to use censorship because of people that young on the forum.

    lol silly i hear 10 times more "bad" words home than i have read here or on some other forum, both as in real words and in **********

    Dude I'm sure everyone is aware pretty much everyone knows how to swear when they're 9 or 10, it's just that it's unsuitable for a forum containing minors to not use censorship (in their eyes i presume)

    I have no problem with it having open swearing with you guys here, but some might so.. yeah :|
    avatar
    Midgar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed


    Posts : 468
    Reputation : -2
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 32
    Location : Morrowind

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Midgar Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 am

    Dark Souls itself isn't meant for minors so I'd have to agree with the OP.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign


    Posts : 4226
    Reputation : 579
    Join date : 2012-01-16
    Age : 109
    Location : Jupiter

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:17 am

    The problem with lifting the filter and the reason we have implemented this one is related to degrees of permissiveness. The old forums had no filters and while certain four letter words are innocuous, the liberal use of them gave people the impression that anything goes. Slurs, epithets and very abusive language ensued, earning a less than scrupulous reputation for the forums. Any community will generally go up to the imposed limits and then test boundaries. We would rather the boundaries being tested be those four letter words as opposed to more degrading content. The new format maintains civility, prevents bullying and gives everyone of all language capacities an opportunity to express themselves thoughtfully.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator


    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Brazil

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Carphil Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 am

    I think its fine where it is, but seriously, why [T.itanite] is censored?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05 am

    because it says *** silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 am

    I do think that maybe there should be a way to turn the filter on and off, but I don't mind it too much usually. However, with Ti-tanite it does become an issue. I remember I had a big problem with that and the word Basement when I used to play Star Wars galaxies back in the day, when it was cool in a lame way. 8)
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign


    Posts : 4226
    Reputation : 579
    Join date : 2012-01-16
    Age : 109
    Location : Jupiter

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 am

    I will see what I can do about that word.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign


    Posts : 4226
    Reputation : 579
    Join date : 2012-01-16
    Age : 109
    Location : Jupiter

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am

    titanite.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:46 am

    titanite, *** for short

    my favourite is on PSN chat it filters out the word trample XD
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:55 am

    Thank you very much, I'm glad to see that word adjusted.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign


    Posts : 4226
    Reputation : 579
    Join date : 2012-01-16
    Age : 109
    Location : Jupiter

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:46 pm

    PSN chat filters out some wonky things. Suckerstone is one that comes to mind.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 828
    Reputation : 22
    Join date : 2012-01-17

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by JY4answer Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm

    Emergence wrote:titanite.

    *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459 *********** 639795459
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:27 pm

    PSN chat is the WORST! I forget what word it bleeped out for me semi-recently, but I swear it makes 'suckerstone' look like '****'.

    I do understand the need to retain some kind of order and how censoring certain words could lend to that. I feel that these forums, though, inherently demand a certain respect - there is an effort evident in its design, structure and organization that I believe would outweigh the tumult (I use that word sarcastically) that might ensue due to a couple words.

    Also, I'm sure preventing the 15 year olds on the forum from reading words like ***, **** and ******* will help them do well in school, get into good colleges, stay off drugs, find good jobs and make generally educated and intelligent decisions in their lives. I'm sure all the M rated games they play lack profanity, like Dark Souls, too! :pirat:
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator


    Posts : 4921
    Reputation : 90
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Brazil

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Carphil Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 pm

    Well, I feel better now because I'm not 15...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 pm

    venomous stuff there johnny, but well said.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster


    Posts : 3627
    Reputation : 144
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 28
    Location : World 4-2 Demon Souls

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:50 pm

    dark souls isn't really that profane... there just some scantily clad humanoids, no swearing, drugs or anything like that and scantily clad women show up in teen and even E rated games... well that and murder, torture, war etc. but all that is okay in the U.S for some reason. really its a choice, "lady with no head, lady with no shirt take your pick." america obviously chose the former. not sure about else where though...
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:06 pm

    I'm not trying to be venomous...in fact, I'm glad this turned into an actual discussion as opposed to an immature uprising or an instant write-off. But you know, it's like there are 13 year-olds on Facebook (and I'm sure 12-year-olds lying to make themselves 13, etc.) and nobody is censored there, at least speech-wise.

    https://youtu.be/rMkN8bMWTdw
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign


    Posts : 4226
    Reputation : 579
    Join date : 2012-01-16
    Age : 109
    Location : Jupiter

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:26 pm

    JohnnyHarpoon wrote:PSN chat is the WORST! I forget what word it bleeped out for me semi-recently, but I swear it makes 'suckerstone' look like '****'.


    Also, I'm sure preventing the 15 year olds on the forum from reading words like ***, **** and ******* will help them do well in school, get into good colleges, stay off drugs, find good jobs and make generally educated and intelligent decisions in their lives. I'm sure all the M rated games they play lack profanity, like Dark Souls, too! :pirat:

    I was going to share with you all a letter from a young man who turned his life around precisely because of this site. Thanks for stealing our thunder...

    But to restate an earlier point, the filter is less to shield the eyes of the young and more to temper the edge of biting, scathing, abusive language and behavior. This game already has enough hot button topics. It is really not worth taking the chance that every thread turns into a conflagration. People are less likely to use a word if it gets turned into ***, and are more likely at that juncture to use something more civil in its place. This is not always the case, but in many cases it will encourage an individual who is combative to slow it down and explain him or herself more concisely.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:30 pm

    Emergence wrote:I was going to share with you all a letter from a young man who turned his life around precisely because of this site. Thanks for stealing our thunder...

    I am so disappointed, just had to ruin it for us didn't you johnny?! silly
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 718
    Reputation : 25
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : Zanzibar Land

    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:32 pm

    Emergence wrote:
    JohnnyHarpoon wrote:PSN chat is the WORST! I forget what word it bleeped out for me semi-recently, but I swear it makes 'suckerstone' look like '****'.


    Also, I'm sure preventing the 15 year olds on the forum from reading words like ***, **** and ******* will help them do well in school, get into good colleges, stay off drugs, find good jobs and make generally educated and intelligent decisions in their lives. I'm sure all the M rated games they play lack profanity, like Dark Souls, too! :pirat:

    I was going to share with you all a letter from a young man who turned his life around precisely because of this site. Thanks for stealing our thunder...

    But to restate an earlier point, the filter is less to shield the eyes of the young and more to temper the edge of biting, scathing, abusive language and behavior. This game already has enough hot button topics. It is really not worth taking the chance that every thread turns into a conflagration. People are less likely to use a word if it gets turned into ***, and are more likely at that juncture to use something more civil in its place. This is not always the case, but in many cases it will encourage an individual who is combative to slow it down and explain him or herself more concisely.

    Right. I understand how it would seem like removing certain words from people's speech might prevent things from escalating to scathing and abusive behavior, but ultimately there are forum guidelines that apply to everybody no matter what kind of language they are using. If a user were to actually get to the point where they were not adhering to these guidelines, I argue that they have a problem larger than anything a few asterisks could have prevented.


    As for the gentleman who turned his life around thanks to these forums, leave it to me to *** it up for everybody. sad

    Sponsored content


    *********** Empty Re: ***********

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:33 am