Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Ghadis_God
ublug
Everynevers
PRH2
goober0331
befowler
Hylian
callipygias
oregonav8r
IV_Mark_VI
14 posters

What causes a Vagrant to spawn?

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What causes a Vagrant to spawn? Empty What causes a Vagrant to spawn?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I know 'dropping items'. But how does it work (if anyone knows)?

What little I know, I know from the Wiki.
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Vagrants

Seems like little is known about them. Is this because people don't drop items? Or collect their humanity quickly?

You would think Vagrants would be common in the forest/burg if this were the case, but the ones I've seen were the top of Anor Londo (by the exit to the Dragon Slayer Bow), the Forest (on the bridge by the cat), and two other places (can't remember where).

They've always been Evil, never good. Has anyone seen a good one? Does anyone know what causes them to spawn, or have organized other people to try to get them to spawn?
    oregonav8r
    Regular
    Regular

What causes a Vagrant to spawn? Empty Re: What causes a Vagrant to spawn?

Post by oregonav8r Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I've actually wanted to test this myself. Apparently they can spawn if someone loses a large amount of souls/humanity, but fails to recover it. I've also heard the bloodstain has to be there for a length of time before it can spawn a vagrant...pretty much what the Wiki said.

We need someone who can do the dragonhead glitch or whatever it is that lets you get your souls/humanity to a ridiculously high level, then die on purpose in a designated area...let it sit for a while, then die again...then get some other people to go search that area and see if one spawns. That's about the only way I could think of to test it.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Some people on the forum went wild one night trying to cause vagrants. I was very skeptical but I did encounter one that night doing Kings co-op... so who knows?

I don't remember their method, but it was probably to drop a massive amount of items and/or lose a massive amount of souls or humanity and then die again without retrieving their stain.

And yeah, I've seen several 'good' ones. They're not so thrilling, other than that they seem more likely to drop something other than humanity; like Lloyd's T's or prism stones.
    Hylian
    Hylian
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Hylian Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Once a vagrant appeared on that passageway going up to the 2 archers in Anor Londo... I didn't know what to do LOL
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm

A likely spot for someone to die without retrieving their souls!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:00 pm

They seem to work much better on XBox, along with a lot of other things (miracle resonance rings, backstab lag). I've got 1000s of hours on PS3 and still think they're a myth.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm

After close to 1000 hours or maybe a bit more, I can only recall coming across one Vagrants. It was in the past week on my SL 99 in the parish church (below gargoyles).

I might have encountered another one but I'm not sure

callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:12 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:A likely spot for someone to die without retrieving their souls!
    True, but they evidently spawn at pre-determined spots; like people who lose their souls to the Bell Gargoyles cause them to spawn by the Parish altar, and stains lost to the Kings spawn by Beatrice.

The vagrants by the archers spawn in exactly the same spot, so I think it's simply the spawn point Fromsoft chose. I'm sure they felt that getting pincered by two huge knights shooting harpoons at you while you balance on a skinny ledge was too easy.
    PRH2
    PRH2

Post by PRH2 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:22 pm

On ps3 I've encountered 4 in all my play, 2 in the Undead Parish where the Firekeeper Soul is, and 2 in New Londo where Beatrice's summon sign spawns....all were evil and just dropped Twin Humanities when killed.
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:41 pm

On 360 I've encountered only one in Ash Lake and because it ran as fast as it could from me and committed suicide in the lake I only assume it was a "good" one. I don't remember it having a claw either. I want to see more... but I never specifically kept my eye out for them. Now, I will definitely be looking for them ... especially when I'm around some of these potential spawn points.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:42 pm

From the manual:
    If you drop a certain item or lose a large amount of humanity, those items and humanity move to another player's world and form vagrant enemies.

I've read that if you die with 5 humanity and fail to recollect your stain before you die again, a normal claw vagrant might spawn and drop a single humanity. If that is correct, then I assume 10+ humanity will spawn a red claw vagrant that drops a twin humanity.

I have no idea of what items you must drop to spawn the non hostile vagrants (without claws) that drops items. I'm guessing the consumable items that you can't trade to snuggly is a possibility. And if I have understood correctly, the good vagrants will run away from you, just like crystal geckos/lizards.

I have read and seen players getting the following items from the good vagrants:
    prism stones, lloyd's talisman, transient curse, purging stone, gold/silver/copper coin.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

I've seen a good one but it disappeared in the blink of an eye, can't remember where though.
    dwx

Post by dwx Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 pm

I've encountered three of them in a couple hundred hours of playing. The one on top of the bookcase in Duke's Archives, one in New Londo, and I encountered one in Anor Londo which I ran across while battling an invader. That wasn't much fun.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Does it seem possible you can spawn your own vagrants? I know it sounds odd, but yesterday I lost about 20000 souls and 80+ humanity in New Londo (Ran out of transient curses and got pinned when getting the fire keepers' soul. Not one of my finest hours...)

Then I went somewhere for about 10 mins, and when back to New Londo and in the first courtyard a good vagrant had spawned. I was rewarded with about 300 souls and 1 humanity. Slightly less than what I lost... ;P
    ChaosMoogle
    ChaosMoogle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ChaosMoogle Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am

Hylian wrote:Once a vagrant appeared on that passageway going up to the 2 archers in Anor Londo... I didn't know what to do LOL

This is what I was going to say lol. Being paranoid, I assumed someone did it deliberately to me out of spite, and went around cursing the rest of humanity that day (despite passing it with relative ease because I usually cheese the archers with Ring of Fog and a Bow silly )
    Xskulled
    Xskulled
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xskulled Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Spoiler:
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 pm

^Awesome

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:52 pm