Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Seignar
The Letter X
Revoltage
WarriorOfBenOwnage
8 posters

Shields in PvP

WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Shields in PvP Empty Shields in PvP

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:45 pm

I've been watching a lot of PvP on youtube lately while I wait for my internet to not suck, and I've noticed a weird trend. There are tons of people out there who constantly have their shields up in PvP. I see battles where two guys just sit there, strafing and swinging into the other guy's massive shield. It's weird to me. Maybe it has to do with my PvP birth beginning with the forest covenant, but I have almost never used a shield in PvP like that. If I have one, it's only for parrying or the grass crest shield. Is there anyone else out there like me? What do you think of people who constantly have a shield up in PvP? Am I hurting myself by not using a shield like that?
    Revoltage
    Revoltage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Shields in PvP Empty Re: Shields in PvP

Post by Revoltage Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Personally I find using shields so defensively like that to be boring. I like to have a weapon in my off-hand rather than a shield because I like to play aggressively, and it's even better if the weapon can parry as well. I've found that if I don't play with a shield I'm less likely to be defensive.

You are definitely not hurting yourself by not using a shield like that. If anything, you're making yourself play better because you're not relying on blocking to escape hits. But all of this is just my own opinion. I say go with whatever you have the most fun with and stick with it.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:01 pm

The only shield I've ever used in PVP is the Dark Hand, so I don't know the luxury of being able to hide behind a shield. I know what you mean. Some people hold their shield up so often that they don't take enough action to deal any damage. The opposite can happen to me, though. Sometimes I'll attack and back away but take a hit due to lag or from misjudging the distance. It can be helpful to always block just after you're done attacking, though, because it will give you a slightly faster recovery time than just finishing off like normal - especially on whiffs.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm

The Letter X wrote:The only shield I've ever used in PVP is the Dark Hand, so I don't know the luxury of being able to hide behind a shield. I know what you mean. Some people hold their shield up so often that they don't take enough action to deal any damage. The opposite can happen to me, though. Sometimes I'll attack and back away but take a hit due to lag or from misjudging the distance. It can be helpful to always block just after you're done attacking, though, because it will give you a slightly faster recovery time than just finishing off like normal - especially on whiffs.

I absolutely love the dark hand. It's on at least half my builds.

@Zigg That's my style too. Shields just don't work very well for me in PvP, and more attack power is always better.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:08 pm

The ONLY types of players that don't need shields are fast rollers. If you mid-roll, you will need the shield to stop people from pressuring you. If you fat roll, you NEED a shield (a strong one at that) because you can't roll effectively against everything.

If you don't use shields, you'll have to rely on dodging and, while it doesn't seem like much, it costs less stamina to block than to dodge, in addition that dodging will create distance while blocking lets you hold your ground. Which helps a lot when pressuring. A shield doesn't necessarily make you a defensive player.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Seignar wrote:The ONLY types of players that don't need shields are fast rollers. If you mid-roll, you will need the shield to stop people from pressuring you. If you fat roll, you NEED a shield (a strong one at that) because you can't roll effectively against everything.

If you don't use shields, you'll have to rely on dodging and, while it doesn't seem like much, it costs less stamina to block than to dodge, in addition that dodging will create distance while blocking lets you hold your ground. Which helps a lot when pressuring. A shield doesn't necessarily make you a defensive player.

I've mid-rolled without a shield before. Shrug It's a lot easier in the PTDE. But I will agree that Fat Rollers need a strong shield. You can't dodge for crap with the fat roll.

And you can dodge towards an opponent. But you have a good point about shields not always being defensive.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Shields can be great for things other than turtling. I use shields for a few reasons. Heater so I can setup parry. Grass for the stamina regen. Blood for Lifehunt Scythe. Dragon Crest and Crest for Pyro (you know, those laggy GCs) and Magic (those unexpected WoGs).

Using a shield doesn't make you bad at PvP. Likewise not using a shield doesn't make you good at PvP. It is just another weapon in your arsenal.
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 pm

reim0027 wrote:Shields can be great for things other than turtling. I use shields for a few reasons. Heater so I can setup parry. Grass for the stamina regen. Blood for Lifehunt Scythe. Dragon Crest and Crest for Pyro (you know, those laggy GCs) and Magic (those unexpected WoGs).

Using a shield doesn't make you bad at PvP. Likewise not using a shield doesn't make you good at PvP. It is just another weapon in your arsenal.

That's a really good explanation there. Thanks.
    DreadnaughtWrex
    DreadnaughtWrex

Post by DreadnaughtWrex Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am

Since I use a shield in PvP I will share my expierence with you and I hope it sheds some light on why some people use shields.

Now, my set up is really heavy armor like the black iron set, steel set, or giants set (cant stand the giants set look.) And I use a tower shield either a stone shield or black iron shield with a great sword or ultra great sword. Like a claymore (love the reach and speed) or a black knights greatsword. Now with the rings and stats I have I have a mid roll which allows me to avoid those lovely lighting spears and fire spells. I am a very paitent person when it comes to PvP. I guess a turtle strategy is my thing. Now I usually wait till someone getting really impatient and full out charges me, let them think I am a noob, or believe they have an opening. which usually results with them getting so close they cant get out of the reach. (why I love the claymore because their poise is usually so low I can just smack the crap out of them to death in one series of swings.) But I am not afraid to go on the offensive, which is usually where I move my claymore/black knight's claymore to a two hand and swing (usually against shield users) which causes them to stumble and makes them easy pray.

I hope this shed some light on this topic for you, and I appologize for any spelling/grammar issues.
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 am

With my BK sword build I tend to keep my balder shield slung on my back most on the time because I prefer the two handed move set but its nice to have the shield for setup parries and getting close to spear users. I find trying to roll close to a spear user is dangerous, especially if they're back pedaling, so I pull my shield off my back get in close. I usually switch to a katana for this kinda of thing because I don't really like most greatswords one handed movesets
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am

Having a shield up constantly keeps you safe from getting hit...
    There are some really good pvp'ers out there specially the tanks who shield well... Like avoid getting bs'ed and all that...

But then again... Im like you... Many of my builds dont even have the end for a shield winking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 am