Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
IV_Mark_VI
Shindori
GrinTwist
BoilerFan8472
8 posters

Sif even sadder now...

BoilerFan8472
    BoilerFan8472
    Addicted
    Addicted

Sif even sadder now... Empty Sif even sadder now...

Post by BoilerFan8472 Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I can honestly say that Sif is my least favorite fight in all of Dark Souls. Before the patch, killing him while he limped helplessly was sad, at least he wanted to fight and kill you then. Now it's like killing your own dog 😢 . FROM is cruel
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Sif even sadder now... Empty Re: Sif even sadder now...

Post by GrinTwist Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:25 pm

I have to stop clicking threads about Sif when I don't even have the DLC.
    I love animals so I have a feeling at the end of the DLC I'm going to crying in sadness and fury.
    Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I kinda always have to kill him before going through the DLC, because I love being a darkwraith... That and I dont wanna cry my eyes out.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 am

Anyone that has sympathy for wolves hasn't seen them attack in real life. You'd be really damn scared.

I used to live in northern Ontario, Canada, and animal lovers in the south got rid of the spring bear hunt. I would say 90% of the population of Ontario lives in the southern parts, where there are no bears. They just see them on TV or read about them. Anyways, they wanted to end the bear hunt because occasionally a mother would be shot (illegal) and her cubs would be all alone. Since no one wants to hunt bears in the fall (meat is way too fatty) the bear population exploded, and there's been a rash of bear attacks. One summer a bear spent two weeks under our porch, eating our neighbours crab apple tree bare (what else would it do?).

Most people that love dangerous animals haven't really lived among them. I don't hate them or fear them, but for bears especially where I live, you really need to cut down the population. Now because they don't have enough food, you can go to the dump at night and see over a dozen eating garbage. Even if they lifted the ban people wouldn't want to hunt them; who knows what they've eaten? Maybe just hunt them for fun, but not for the meat.
    BoilerFan8472
    BoilerFan8472
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BoilerFan8472 Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 pm

I live in a part of Kentucky where wolves and coyotes live literally 10 steps past my backyard. Trust me I know. During the night when they howl and the scream of a teenager going into the woods at night about every six months. I've seen them attack first hand.

The ironic part is though, is that I've never seen them attack unless provoked.(not using common sense around wild animals)
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Anyone that has sympathy for wolves hasn't seen them attack in real life. You'd be really damn scared.

I used to live in northern Ontario, Canada, and animal lovers in the south got rid of the spring bear hunt. I would say 90% of the population of Ontario lives in the southern parts, where there are no bears. They just see them on TV or read about them. Anyways, they wanted to end the bear hunt because occasionally a mother would be shot (illegal) and her cubs would be all alone. Since no one wants to hunt bears in the fall (meat is way too fatty) the bear population exploded, and there's been a rash of bear attacks. One summer a bear spent two weeks under our porch, eating our neighbours crab apple tree bare (what else would it do?).

Most people that love dangerous animals haven't really lived among them. I don't hate them or fear them, but for bears especially where I live, you really need to cut down the population. Now because they don't have enough food, you can go to the dump at night and see over a dozen eating garbage. Even if they lifted the ban people wouldn't want to hunt them; who knows what they've eaten? Maybe just hunt them for fun, but not for the meat.

I may not be well-versed with words. But i know what i know. I haven't faced wolves myself, but seeing as it's been my favorite animal for years, and i'm kind of a whackjob, i've spent too much time reading about them. And wolves in general aren't a danger unless forced to. Sure, there are wolves that have been inbred, but that does not mean every single one is. Wolves in general do not attack a human being on sight, they usually keep their distance. A wolf that does attack anyone is either inbred or has an low access to food. A wolf that is well fed and not inbred does not attack unless provoced. The love for a dangerous animal does not mean there is no fear for them. Honestly, i don't know what i'd do if i was faced by an aggressive wolf, but i know that i love them, and for one reason. I can relate to them.

I know i kind of went off the topic, but reading the first sentence about wolves just had me crazy. I stopped myself from writing any further so my points are not fully explained. Anywho, don't wanna have all that text wasted so here ya go, read away.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

GrinTwist wrote:I have to stop clicking threads about Sif when I don't even have the DLC.
    I love animals so I have a feeling at the end of the DLC I'm going to crying in sadness and fury.

Not if you save Sif, and keep Sif alive in the Manus boss fight.(if you summon him)

Sif is pretty cool though.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow, 3 negative reps on my post. Lots of animal lovers out there!

Wolves do indeed stay away from humans; I've only heard about a wolf attack once up in Thompson.

Kentucy also has a population density of 100 people/sq mile. Northern Ontario it's 2/sq mile; the largest city in the North is Sudbury at about 158000 people, and after that, there's hardly anyone. Check it out on google maps... it's hard to understand how barren is barren outside of countries like this. You can drive at 100km/hr for a few hours and not see a single human being in some parts. If you break down... good luck! Might be awhile before someone comes by.

I lived in a town of 8000, and the closest center was Sudbury at 750km away. Very isolated, but very close with nature. Too close sometimes.

All I'm saying is that a lot of people that live close with the wilderness are the most active at hunting said animals. Perhaps living in large urban areas makes people crave nature more, and animals as part of that? I'm not sure.

Anyways, I doubt many people will care where I'm from, but I don't think many people here were as isolated and surrounded by nature...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ontario

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Well with the relationship between humans and wolves, if you have done research in biology, you would actually be able to find that they are a group of species that we can personally relate to.

It's hard for me to explain, as I am an idiot on the subject on Biology.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Unsure what you mean by that; we've grown for many centuries with dogs, but wolves are different. They're canines, but so are bears... not sure what you mean that we can identify with them.

As far as I can see, just through the connection with dogs or similarities, but that's it. Possibly through the extensive hunting of them by, supported by exports to Europe, but that happened to a lot of animals...
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm

GrinTwist wrote:Well with the relationship between humans and wolves, if you have done research in biology, you would actually be able to find that they are a group of species that we can personally relate to.

It's hard for me to explain, as I am an idiot on the subject on Biology.

Are you're referring to the fact that wolves for example value the pack they're part of more than anything, and how they would never take part in another wolf pack once their own is dead because they loved their family? Yeah, that's why i love wolves.

@Mark

Kind of obvious there's going to be exceptions, and obviously i have to be one of those. I don't live in any kind of ''large urban''. However, i was raised around animals. That's why i've taken a liking to all animals around me. And as for the wolves, i like them because of the way they live. They value their family above all, like me. And the term ''lone wolf'' is something i've gotten used to. And of course, like me in this discussion, there will be exceptions for wolves as well.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I believe it's the fact that they are a species that have a community, and that is why we relate to them. Same can be said with other species, that are even more of a danger than a wolf.

TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I Love wolf, and yes I would be afraid if I came into face-to-muzzle confrontation with one. I have a respect for wolves for the pack mentaility they follow and with that respect is a fear of how ferocious they can be when threatened. I grew up on the edge of 100 acres of farm land ontop of a mountian. We had: Bears, mountlions, coyoties, bobcats, wolves, foxes and even some black panters where reported to have made a living in our woods. I am well aware of the danger they possed to me and my family but that did not mean I did not have a respect for them.
    So in short. Just because I love wolves, it does not mean I don't harbor a fear of what they are capabale of, and that I would blindly approach one or a pack of them for that matter.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 pm

The two posts above me pretty much summed up everything i tried to say, just better.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah, I get all that.
    http://wilderness-urban-survival.blogspot.ca/2010/02/wolf-attack.html
    http://www.ontariooutofdoors.com/news/?ID=153&a=read
    http://www.fftimes.com/node/226430

Bear attack:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/man-survives-bear-attack-thanks-to-old-friend-1.830721

Every year there's wolf and bear attacks. I don't have ill will towards them, but up here, you don't have doctor's close at hand. If you get attacked and are bleeding, it might be half a day to get to a doctor. Basically, if you are seriously wounded, there is no ambulance. Hopefully you can get airlifted out but that takes time too.

If a wolf was coming by, or a bear, I would attempt to scare it off, but I would have no issues shooting it. The plain fact up here is that there are more of them than there are food sources. Every year there's attacks. Even if it's not a person, it's their cat or dog. Imagine your pet being eaten; I respect them, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at them.

You can google all kinds of attacks in northern ontario, and a lot aren't documented as it's just 'life'.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Unsure what you mean by that; we've grown for many centuries with dogs, but wolves are different. They're canines, but so are bears... not sure what you mean that we can identify with them.

As far as I can see, just through the connection with dogs or similarities, but that's it. Possibly through the extensive hunting of them by, supported by exports to Europe, but that happened to a lot of animals...

Pardon what I'm going to say as it is something passed on in Native American culture, but I am of cherokee descent and according to an old legend it was wolf that brought forth the connect between Humankind and Caninekind. The legend is basically that during a bad winter storm the elders of the tribe were together trying to figure out how they will gather food to survive. While they are trying to figure this out, a mighty female wolf enters their teepee. She she tells them she reveals that she is very ill but that if the tribe will take care of her young, then her young will help them in their hunts and be as if family to them. The chief thought over what this giant wolf had said and agreed. The wolf then left and returned an hour later with her pups. she then curled up with them and told them of this pact before passing. it was then that the bound between man and canine began.
    As I said it is something passed on in my cultrual history, though other tribes may have have a different way of telling it to explain the connection between man and dog. But all dogs have a common ancestor, the Wolf.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm not familiar with cherokee; but thanks for the story! +1 My best friend growing up was Ojibway. Cree are also very common here.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Yeah, I get all that.
    http://wilderness-urban-survival.blogspot.ca/2010/02/wolf-attack.html
    http://www.ontariooutofdoors.com/news/?ID=153&a=read
    http://www.fftimes.com/node/226430

Bear attack:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/man-survives-bear-attack-thanks-to-old-friend-1.830721

Every year there's wolf and bear attacks. I don't have ill will towards them, but up here, you don't have doctor's close at hand. If you get attacked and are bleeding, it might be half a day to get to a doctor. Basically, if you are seriously wounded, there is no ambulance. Hopefully you can get airlifted out but that takes time too.

If a wolf was coming by, or a bear, I would attempt to scare it off, but I would have no issues shooting it. The plain fact up here is that there are more of them than there are food sources. Every year there's attacks. Even if it's not a person, it's their cat or dog. Imagine your pet being eaten; I respect them, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at them.

You can google all kinds of attacks in northern ontario, and a lot aren't documented as it's just 'life'.
    I would leave shooting them as a last resort if I can scare them off otherwise I will shoot them to defend myself. However they are also trying to survive and sometime we end up in their hunting grounds. I'm not saying I condon their attacks on humans or pets but I can understand it.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I'm not familiar with cherokee; but thanks for the story! +1 My best friend growing up was Ojibway. Cree are also very common here.
    Ah, I see. but yeah I can understnad where your coming from. We should have a fear of them but we should also have a deep respect for them aswell. They maybe animals but so are humans, we just happen to have the advantage of aposable thumbs XD
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Respect to you, sir!

Just love native americans(no homo). big grin

Anywho, was considering not posting until later. But like Ashen said, i believe most people would shoot if forced too, and i know i would, although like Ashen, it would be my last resort.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:Respect to you, sir!

Anywho, was considering not posting until later. But like Ashen said, i believe most people would shoot if forced too, and i know i would, although like Ashen, it would be my last resort.

Thanks!
    But also the killing part falls under a part of Cherokee culture. When we hunt and kill an animal, we pray for it's forgivness for we need it's hide to keep us warm, it's meat to feed us, and it bones to make our tools. So I would prefer to shoot them as a last resort for a cultural reason. But everyone is different and may act differently.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 pm

So what would be a last resort? Bear/wolf sniffing around? Or would it have to initiate an attack?

Imagine you are 4 days from a doctor (camping via canoe). A wolf is seen a few times around the campsite. It's time for bed, and you see it watching you in the dark. Do you go to bed? Do you shoot once in the air, and if it leaves, go to sleep?

Or do you shoot it?

I would shoot it.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:53 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:So what would be a last resort? Bear/wolf sniffing around? Or would it have to initiate an attack?

If a warning shot or throwing rock don't cause it to back off, or it shows it's more than just curiousity, then I will shoot to kill.

As for your example, that does give an interesting situation. And I can understand shooting it. However I would fire a warning shot, and if it began to snarl and move in I would fire to kill it. Now if it runs off, I would store anyfood I had away in sealable bags so that it doesn't attract any more and I would be sure to move on immediately to higher ground or a tree for the night, or i would stay awake for the night if I'm out with a friend, as I don't hunt alone. This is if it's a wolf. Now for a bear... saddly I would shoot to kill as I would not risk it with a bear as they are capable of climbing trees.

Last edited by TheAshenPhantom on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

TheAshenPhantom wrote:
    Mr. Tart wrote:Respect to you, sir!

Thanks!
    But also the killing part falls under a part of Cherokee culture. When we hunt and kill an animal, we pray for it's forgivness for we need it's hide to keep us warm, it's meat to feed us, and it bones to make our tools. So I would prefer to shoot them as a last resort for a cultural reason. But everyone is different and may act differently.

I like the way you cherokees think. Point Forward

@Mark

I would always be prepared of course. If a animal were to approach i would act with hostility, although not necessarily being threatening. Just show that i can defend myself. Whether the animal would understand or not, i have no idea, although i'd like to think they do. Unless the animal itself shows hostility i won't shoot, but i would never trust one either. So to answer your question:

''So what would be a last resort?''

I don't know. That depends on the situation. The situation rarely turns out the same as the first, so you can't really answer the question now. The only way to answer it is to act in that kind of situation. It's just not possible to give an honest answer to that.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I would just like to say that I've never felt bad killing Sif.

I never did nothin' to Sif, and then I start getting swung at? And NOW, I save Sif's life, as well as more or less the world, and what do I get? Swung at!

Sif is ungrateful and two-faced. Obviously I'd rather not resort to violence, but if the wolf gonna come at me...best not miss.

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:40 am