Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Back Lot Basher
befowler
Uparkaam
THEOGLUIGI
SlakeMoth
Gazman0169
11 posters

My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it?

Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it? Empty My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it?

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Continuing with my quest to try out every weapon in the game (it's taken me long enough to get around to it :roll: ), I finally gave the Zwiehander a run-out this morning, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how well it handles. Normally me and the larger weapons do not get along, but that's not the case with the Zwiehander. I even managed to win a PvP Forest Invasion wielding it, without even taking a scratch! :shock: Admittedly I was either very lucky, or my opponent was very bad (probably a bit of both), but I think I may have found a possible successor to my trusty BSS, as I am absolutely loving the way that this weapon's heavy attack plants your opponent firmly in the ground, especially when you've got enough stamina to do it two to three times in a row to them! twisted
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it? Empty Re: My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it?

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm

I've tried just about every weapon in my arsenal trying to beat Artorias. I think I have a Zweihander somewhere about my person, so I may give it a try.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it? Empty Re: My the Zwiehander is a bit of a beast, isn't it?

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 pm

It's probably going to be too slow in the build-up. To date the closest I've got to beating that git single-handed was when I double-handed my CMW buffed +10 BSS (it's now a +15), and even then I could only get him down to just under half his life. For some reason I really, REALLY, suck when it comes to avoiding his attacks! lol
    THEOGLUIGI
    THEOGLUIGI
    Regular
    Regular

Post by THEOGLUIGI Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 pm

The Zweihander is one of my favorite weapons and I win plenty of PVP duels with it.

Many duels have ended because I combo'd them to death and then squashed them on the ground like a bug.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Gazman0169 wrote:It's probably going to be too slow in the build-up. To date the closest I've got to beating that git single-handed was when I double-handed my CMW buffed +10 BSS (it's now a +15), and even then I could only get him down to just under half his life. For some reason I really, REALLY, suck when it comes to avoiding his attacks! lol

I hate to say this but it really cheered me up when I read that you were having a hard time too since most other people seem to be racing through the DLC in about three hours and they think the Artorias fight is really enjoyable!
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:47 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:
    Gazman0169 wrote:It's probably going to be too slow in the build-up. To date the closest I've got to beating that git single-handed was when I double-handed my CMW buffed +10 BSS (it's now a +15), and even then I could only get him down to just under half his life. For some reason I really, REALLY, suck when it comes to avoiding his attacks! lol

I hate to say this but it really cheered me up when I read that you were having a hard time too since most other people seem to be racing through the DLC in about three hours and they think the Artorias fight is really enjoyable!

Don't worry. I too spent a lot of time against the bosses. About two hours against Artorias and over four hours on Kalameet lol
    But I enjoyed it. Except those parts when I had to run back to the boss.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Same as Slake, until your thread came along I was just going to keep my mouth shut about it, seeing as that everyone else seemed to be able to get past ol Art with seeingly very little effort.

I was like, how the heck are they doing this, when he keeps on handing me my butt on a silver platter?

In the end I gave up and returned back to modern-day Lordran to upgrade my character a bit more, as I'm determined to turn the tables on his ragedy butt the next time we meet, which is why I'm currently trying out new weapons! twisted
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm on a similar long delayed weapon exploration campaign (even love the BSS as my favorite) -- try the greatsword next. I think the moveset is better than the zweihander and it is certainly less common. I ended up re-writing the wiki's greatsword entry as a result, so check that out if you want my tips on its use.

Currently playing around with the lucerne, which is a hoot.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

@ befowler - kudos on the avatar....I loved Tim Curry as Pennywise in that miniseries.

Back on topic, I think a lot of people like to say they breezed through Artorias, but I'm a little dubious of internet bragging. I only beat him alone once, and it was with an NG+++++ mage, using the Greatshield of Artorias to tank, then spamming CSS. Not exactly the most skilled approach, but it got me through.

As much as I love big, powerful weapons in PvE, I've never been able to make them effective in PvP. I'm better off being able to fast roll, and strike with quick weapons. But I do love the moveset on the Z.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

the trick with arty is poise, breaking his while maintaining yours, especially when he kneels and starts gathering energy, never let him get that buff off... head shoting with a bow works for that btw....
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm

@ befowler- I totally agree with BLB that's a sweet avatar you've got there. twisted

@ BLB- It's interesting you say that, I guess bravado and showmanship will always play a part when it comes to the way we retell our more successful encounters, and I would be a liar if I said that I have not added the odd embellishment to some of my own from time to time. Like the time I skillfully executed a rolling backstab on an PvP opponent, when the truth was I accidently pulled it off as I frantically bashed the buttons on my controller trying to evade his relentless onslaught. Oh the :oops: of having to come clean about that after all this time! lol
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Shenanigans!
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Nah, more like window dressings! lol
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I've tried just about every weapon in my arsenal trying to beat Artorias. I think I have a Zweihander somewhere about my person, so I may give it a try.

Find the pattern in his attacks then use an R2 two handed attack after you dodge then wait for the opening in his pattern. Warning his pattern changes after he loses half his health I didnt get hit once by him on NG ++++.

Last edited by GkMrBane on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:40 pm

A definition of shenanigans that I just found: -
    An official declaration made by patrons of an establishment who feel they have been cheated. Once a charge of shenanigans has been accepted by an authority figure, said patrons are free to assault the owners of said establishment with brooms. :cyclops:

Anyone that comes near me with a broom are gonna wish they were carrying a jar of K-Y jelly, after I rest said makeshift weapon from their grip and shove it up their... lol

I'm getting pretty good at this whole embellishment game, don't ya know! big grin
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm

+1 for the Zweihander. It was one of the first good weapons I found in the game, because it was so easily obtained in the Firelink graveyard. It is still hands down my favorite in both PVE and PVP.

You can absolutely wreck with it if you know it well. I would say its almost overpowered. Even with the elemental nerfs, the Lightning Zwei is still one of the strongest all around weapons in the game. Lately I have been using a Chaos Zwei and +15 Zwei with buff and a +15 Lucerne with buff.

Also the Zwei is deceivingly powerful in PVP if you are experienced with it. The backstab potential is very deadly. Almost OHK every time with HR. On the other hand it can be very effective against the backstab as well, the 2 handed R1 has a wide swing arc and is relatively quick. The dead angles on this thing will more than likely hit a backstab fisher and possibly stun them.

Also R2 strong attack is great longer range attack against bosses or someone that isn't expecting it to reach out that far. Also seems to have a slight AOE that will stun enemies even if it slightly misses.

Edit: Oh yeah don't for get rolling stab attack. Quick and long range, can stun a PVP enemy trying to chase your roll evade.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:14 pm

the best thing about the Zwie is nailing a two-handed R1 followed by a quick R2 to hammer an invader into the dirt like a tent a peg.

it just doesn't work as well with any of the other weapons. though it was hilarious when i cut someone down with the Great Lord Great Sword's R2. i don't think i will ever be able to do that again though.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm

+1 Befowler. Go on kiddo...... take it.......ooooooooh you want it dontcha?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:25 pm