Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar)

Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar) Empty Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar)

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

On a recent low level quality play through (lvl 38), I decided to go no shield. My main was a long sword, so I needed a secondary weapon with a parry.

Going purely for looks I chose the scimitar, so that I would have a nice thin sheath on both sides.

When I was going through oolacile, I figured I might as well do some low level dueling. I didn't bother to change my equipment, because I didn't think I really need a shield.

Going for parries I noticed something really interesting. As many people know, the curved sword parry animation is a very big flourish, which many say simply takes up more frames as the actual parry window for pvp isn't extended, and can just allow for the player to be more easily back stabbed.

But what I noticed is that the partial parry window is much larger. Meaning that weapons like the scimitar in the off hand can be used to block basically using the parry. You can't move during it, and it takes quite a bit of stamina, but it seems to block either all physical damage or at least do so in the 90%s.

I still need to test it further, but this might give a very viable option for a practical defense other than shields. Still not as practical as shields, but it looks pretty awesome to be a duel sword wielding guy.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar) Empty Re: Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar)

Post by Glutebrah Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 pm

start at 10:30 for the good stuff

Special Group:
    Parry window: 8 frames
    Recovery Time: 19 frames
    Total Animation: 27 frames

Curved Swords:
    Parry Window: 6 frames
    Recovery Time 20 frames
    Total Animation: 26 frames

Medium Shields
    Recovery time: 18 frames
    Total Animation 24 frames

Daggers Katanas & Fist Weapons
    Recovery time: 16 Frames
    Total Animation: 22 Frames

Thrusting Swords
    Recovery Time: 15 frames
    Total Animation: 21 frames

Small Shields
    Recovery Time: 14 frames
    Total Animation: 20 frames

this all said Curved swords are the worst parry weapon, they have the longest recovery time, but we are talking milliseconds

EDIT: i am retarded and just noticed you said the partial parry window is longer....not parry window. i skimmed the post initially.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar) Empty Re: Parry of larger weapons in the off hand (mainly scimitar)

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Mmm yes, their parry is as lack luster as anything else, but the partial parry window is godly.
    Espada Muerta
    Espada Muerta
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Espada Muerta Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 am

Buggy Virus wrote:Mmm yes, their parry is as lack luster as anything else, but the partial parry window is godly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is that when you miss the timing by a bit?
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Espada Muerta wrote:
    Buggy Virus wrote:Mmm yes, their parry is as lack luster as anything else, but the partial parry window is godly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is that when you miss the timing by a bit?

Yes, but you take reduced damage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:13 am