Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
GkMrBane
Aznul
XachAttack
Seignar
Walter_White
AnastaciaAstora
PlasticandRage
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Marino.
Back Lot Basher
HomicidalCanine
Isirith
18 posters

I'm ashamed to -

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

I'm ashamed to - - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm ashamed to -

Post by Carphil Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Fantastic! This is the true magic about dark souls: it puts every gamer in its place.

COD gamers cry and go back to COD. (believe me, I try to play it sometimes, is not that bad, thanks to the best weapon in the game: the mute button)

Classic gamers are amazed by the RPG theme and don't give up.

Gamers that enjoy difficulty fall in love for DkS big grin

most of my friends (cod category) saw Dark souls videos, and they admited that they would never kill Asylum demon, and I agree silly

But you're right, because of that, they actually complain about being a stupid game where the objective is to die instead of easily exploding the scenario

BTW that video /\ is very funny big grin it never gets old
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

I showed the game some friends one hole evening - i played more than the half of the time. They did well and din't wine around when dying. I got the souls back and gave back the controller, they tried again.

No one came online after that. One Friend tried it offline one evening with the char we build up that evening - that char was OK, rang the first bell and god good stuff to fight with. He asked me where to go and i wrote him a book about, what to and what not to until Anor Londo (that is the breaking point - player who beat O&S will manage to beat the game). I told him NOT to go to New Londo Ruins without buying (and using) Transcient Curse, more than once. I told him where to go from there (had to kill Capra and get the Large Ember from the Depth to make better Weapons).

Well, he played Demons Souls - didn't beat the game, because he got not much time, but played it for around 50h. When i asked some days later how it goes....he went 9 time to New Londo Ruins, tried to fight the ghosts without beeing cursed, a cursed weapon, or a Transcient Curse 9 times and didn't realized that he can't harm them in any way....he never played the game again.
    I still can't understand how he could not realize that he has to go somewhere else or find out what is needed to beat the ghosts - he is not stupid and is playing now XCOM (yes he is like me an oldschool-gamer).

I gave the game my brother without saying too much, just some general tips and played the tutorial with him. He is a great Gothic fanboy and liked the game. He got no internet, so he played through without wiki and online help in one week and is now in NG+ finding everything missed in NG. He is getting an Internet Connection this month to play it online.

people are different
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

Some folks thrive on challenge, other's resent it.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm

When i asked some days later how it goes....he went 9 time to New Londo
    Ruins, tried to fight the ghosts without beeing cursed, a cursed weapon,
    or a Transcient Curse 9 times and didn't realized that he can't harm
    them in any way....he never played the game again.
    Didn't he read your book about using Transient Curses? Even so, most people realize by the 2nd or 3rd try that you can't beat them and would eventually wonder what Transient Curses do...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Lol. I always start a game by exploring options. I reached the first fog door in the Burg and said, I wonder what's down those stairs at the beginning? Things were going pretty smoothly at first. Exploring was seemingly easy....I met a new person (who I now know to hate) and things were generally peachy. I tried a couple times at those dang ghosts and decided...."maybe I need to come back in a bit." Then I decided to explore the graveyard. After all, I can see shinies......

After realizing my weapons were doing less than ideal levels of damage to the little skeletons and getting pimp slapped by giant skeletons a few times (I did manage to get all the shinies though) I thought to myself....."Wonder what's behind that fog door?"

But then again, I was wearing my Trousers of Persistence +5, so giving up didn't seem like an option.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:40 pm

I honestly tried to kill the Asylum Demon with the Sword Hilt during my first playthrough. Almost made me quit because it seemed unplayable. Then i saw the message. My heart burst with joy when i saw the gate. Sure, it does get tedious and somewhat annoying at times but it might be because i'm a masochist cuz i just keep coming back.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:50 pm

I actually read all of the messages the first time I played, but I had already heard it was a hard game and I never skip tutorials the first time I play a game anyways. Why someone would try to make a game harder for themselves by skipping the part that tells you how to survive I do not understand.
    Also, one of the coolest things about Dark Souls is that it is truly the closest a game can get to being fair. Most games give you certain abilities that make you significantly more powerful than everyone else around you. But, Dark Souls throws you out into a world full of things and people that can do just about everything that you can, and sometimes more, and makes you fight your way through it.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Dark Souls is a game that seems to have perfect balance. It is never kind, but it is always fair. The tools to succeed are all there, as long as you have the vision to see them. You have to approach each step you take with the kind of caution you'd use in an alternate universe where this world is real, and your life is on the line. Because it is, every step of the way.

The way I look at Dark Souls is, every battle I win as I progress means that I have the knowledge needed to do it again. There is no luck (mostly). If I meet an enemy that seems unusually strong at first glance, the first thing I do is backpeddle. I do this because, if I have to go back and collect souls, I'd rather they be 10 steps back, than 10 steps into a meatgrinder.

I wish I could find the words to explain to the uninitiated that they NEED to try this game. Even if they hate it, their gaming experience will be richer for trying. It's not for everyone's taste or temperment, but if someone doesn't try just out of fear, they could be missing one of the best games of this or any generation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:33 pm