Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Tolvo
GkMrBane
Hatsune Miku
barrywilkins
Onion Knight
RANT
Gazman0169
PlasticandRage
BIG TIME MASTER
RedderAI
Ghadis_God
PwnasauresRex
AzureCrow
BrotherBob
ChizFreak
callipygias
Glutebrah
Jester's Tears
Marino.
Nybbles
Juutas
lalliman
RevolverSnake
Aznul
28 posters

Spears anyone?

AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Spears anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Spears anyone?

Post by AzureCrow Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 am

Those are great suggestions however I was suggesting why spears are less attractive weapons, specifically moving from pve to pvp you have to be aware of their flaws and when facing experienced players the longer your fight progresses the more you become vulnerable to your opponent seeing through your attack style and controlling the tempo of the fight.

They can be extremely effective in skilled hands however they can also be quickly overcome due to the light nature of their attacks.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:29 am

The Silver Knight Spear upgraded to a +5 is my chosen weapon for going through the Catacombs and the ToG on a NG PvE run, but apart from this I'll generally steer clear of spears, as they do not fit in well with my playing style, as I prefer to either stick and move, or get right in the face of an opponent before pummeling it into the ground with my +15 Zweihander! twisted
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

Toall you people saying spears are easy to counter I welcome you to challenge me to a duel when I use a spear. You won't hit me once, promise., dark bead might cause chip damage if you spam it bat range but that's it.

There is zero counter besides using a spear when I play a spear the way I described.

I will only attack you at max range, and slip away when ever you get closer than max range of my spear.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 am

There was a down rep ninja going around :face:
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am

to answer the OP, yes, theyre all really good for both pvp and pve.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 am

Didn't the op say he was playing offline? Then everyone ignored it and started rattling on about pvp. *Sigh*
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Juutas wrote:There was a down rep ninja going around :face:

At least he can only strike twice silly
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Onion Knight wrote:Didn't the op say he was playing offline? Then everyone ignored it and started rattling on about pvp. *Sigh*

lol i have a horrible horrible habit of skimming posts.
    barrywilkins
    barrywilkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by barrywilkins Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

the only way i can think of to counter a spear user is to get them out of their tempo. how do you do this? not really sure. a magic build would get torn apart trying to spam soul spears, dex would be using a very weak counter: bows in which case their only hope would be to scare the spear user with poison. faith might have something with the almighty chest of the gods. strength has no shot really. trying to use terrain to your advantage could similarly destroy you. in a wide open field, the spear has the upper hand by being able to roll around. on a narrow bridge, the spear still has the upper hand in that nearly every attack will connect.

all in all, the spears a rather difficult weapon to beat even in the hands of an inexperienced user. i'd like to say i hate that spears are this powerful but, lets be honest. how many other games have spears that have something significant over swords?
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Well none of this answers my original question. Why are spears so rarely recommended or even mentioned for offline PvE? I played through most of my first run using spears, especially at first when I had not yet understood when to attack and when to defend. I liked them because I could easily do both. (Although I still have almost zero parrying experience ad that is likely why)
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:46 pm

I think most people stay away from them because they don't do gigantic amounts of damage without being supplemented by something else. I was guilty of that too for awhile, I just got into the habit of seeing them as secondary utility weapons as opposed to viable main weapons, that is until I discovered different ways of supplementing their power. For example the Spear/Great Shield/Leo Ring combo to basically do GS parries.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Personally I just always liked being able to hit the enemy from farther aweay, it just gave me more room to breathe and honestly helped me get into the game.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm

^ I don't think anybody would argue that there's anything wrong with that.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Silver Knight Spear +5 is beast against skeletons. Plus the length of the spear makes it have good range.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I hate to say it but If I see a spear user who uses these tactics aka back and forth I resort to dark magic poison walk of peace and ultra-sword dead angling all at the same time cause I can’t stand that poking $hit it’s like spamming the same move in street fighter all over again.! AHHHH I just hate it. Now from a PvE perspective they are very useful in Higher NG++'s

Also The bane of two handed spear user's existence is its equally annoying enemy the ultra-great bow's just put your back to a wall knock and arrow and wait for them to attack and if you have high enough poise it’s a piece of annoying cake.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I think most people gravitate to the big swords just because they think they are cooler.

The majority of my builds have been spear or halberd users, but that is just my taste. My builds are always built from an aesthetic point of view first and foremost, and I just think a long spear or halberd looks impressive because to me it is believable, more so than a giant sword that must weigh a hundred pounds. I am just more attracted to things that I can understand more, I suppose. If I was going to be actually fighting monsters, I would definetly want to keep my distance with a spear.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:02 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I think most people gravitate to the big swords just because they think they are cooler.

The majority of my builds have been spear or halberd users, but that is just my taste. My builds are always built from an aesthetic point of view first and foremost, and I just think a long spear or halberd looks impressive because to me it is believable, more so than a giant sword that must weigh a hundred pounds. I am just more attracted to things that I can understand more, I suppose. If I was going to be actually fighting monsters, I would definetly want to keep my distance with a spear.

most people have katanas actually. while i love str weapons i also love the halberd, that thing destroys people with or without the leo ring. also spears are SO boring too so i dont really use the much.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:05 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I think most people gravitate to the big swords just because they think they are cooler.

most people have katanas actually. while i love str weapons i also love the halberd, that thing destroys people with or without the leo ring. also spears are SO boring too so i dont really use the much.

I know what you mean. I do get bored of spears mainly because you only use them one way. Keep your distance, circle, and attack when they open. It gets repetitive for sure. Swords offer more variety in movement and attack/defend rhythms.

I always come back to spears though. I think it might be because no other game has offered them in a functional package before.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:07 pm

RantFromRant wrote:

I think you're spot on there Rant. If I had to say what kind of weapon I see players with more than any other I think I'd have to say katanas. I'd also be willing to wager that most of us have at least one toon that uses them. I know I do. The reason is they're great. They're fast, do decent damage, cause bleed, can be buffed/normally upgraded. I think the only drawback is everyone's learning to parry them because they're so prevalent. There's also a common misconception, I feel more often than not with noobies, that larger weapons are better weapons. Almost every time I've tried to advise someone on equips that was new to the game it was nearly impossible for me to talk them out of using something oversized
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:12 pm

i know, nobody comes into a thread about someone that needs a build and says 'you should make a str build theyre awesome' the first think EVERYONE posts is a damn katana build, way to make dark souls more repetitive guys lol. but i get it they are some of the bet weapons in the game which makes sense since FROM are from japan and i dont mean that in a bad way.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 pm

I mean in reality katanas are kind of the pinnacle of medieval era weaponry also. They didn't learn how to fold metal like that in Europe until much later than Japan. So realistically it makes sense that katanas would be a great class of weapons
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 pm

i picture halberds kicking their asses actually but thats just me, i no nothing about medieval weaponry
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Well skill and tactical usage are universal. I just mean as far as construction is concerned katanas are superior weapons to most weapons built in other places during that period.

Like from a technological standpoint using a broadsword to fight a guy with a katana is like using a musket to fight a guy with a machine gun
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 pm

I dont like to use Katanas because of the Way you swing them . It looks so amatureish and almost like the Character doesnt give a **** about the Weapon .

The Description of one Katana says that "its blade is easylie nicked" yet we smash it against the ground with the normal R1 :|

But it is a very good Weapon Class .
    Great Roll Atack, good Range, Good Damage
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Marino. wrote:
    The Description of one Katana says that "its blade is easylie nicked"

Maybe the chosen undead bought his katanas off the home shopping network.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 am