Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Shredder937
stale
Ieyfura
BLA1NE
vageta31
9 posters

Naked challenge play through (videos)

vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Naked challenge play through (videos) Empty Naked challenge play through (videos)

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 am

I've started a naked challenge run through the game with some extreme limitations and have been posting my progress on youtube. SL 1 pryo run turns out to be pretty easy without any equipment/spell limitations so I've come up with my own set of rules. Basically it's choose any class but no leveling up, no armor, shields, elemental weapons, magic, master key, npc summons, etc.. All I have is my weapon, rings and whatever consumables I bring with me. If anyone is interested in checking it out here is a link to the first part. I'm up to part 7 and will probably have the final 2 parts up tomorrow. I defeated Nito last night and will be taking on Gwyn when I get off of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663MYxFTlbs
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Naked challenge play through (videos) Empty Re: Naked challenge play through (videos)

Post by BLA1NE Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 am

Sounds interesting. I'll watch them.

(Btw, my youtube account is assfault88. I know, terrible account name... So if you see that guy commenting on your videos, that's me!)
    Ieyfura
    Ieyfura

Naked challenge play through (videos) Empty Re: Naked challenge play through (videos)

Post by Ieyfura Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 am

Subbed and watching. This should be a very interesting journey. xD
    stale
    stale

Post by stale Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 am

Have fun!

Things like this make me wonder if they made this game too easy.
    Shredder937
    Shredder937

Post by Shredder937 Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

That is amazing. If I tried to do this it will probly take me a very long time to be he game
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm

You are rather mental. Impressive stuff though with the rules you've put on with base level and no elemental weapons either, pretty hefty challenge.

how long has this run taken you?
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Are you online? because I would think invaders would present an even bigger challenge than PvE (although that would be hard enough, lol).
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Well perhaps I am a bit crazy, though I enjoy challenging myself. I grew up when games didn't have difficulty settings or checkpoints and had limited continues so I find most games today lack a proper challenge. I think my save file is around 8 hours in total, though that includes all of my farming and practice runs. Staying human and dying a lot required me to farm a ton of humanity as well as keeping an inventory of gold pine resin which is almost required for the tougher bosses.
    I started out playing online but realized later that I didn't want to bother with invaders. I wouldn't stand a chance against twinks and if I was making a boss run and got killed I'd probably be irritated.
    Also I don't think they made the game too easy, rather the game is just not as hard as it was made out to be. It's definitely difficult, but once you understand the mechanics, know the levels and boss patterns and have a good bit of skill you can pull of some crazy things.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

... You should of hindered yourself with weaponry. Armor is a start, but their has been a good chunk that has done so anyways. If you want a challenge, submit yourself to only weapons that can be upgrade pass + 5. Better yet, submitting yourself to only using small weapons would be harder, as it would take more time to kill, and in doing so make it easier for you to fail if the timing is wrong.

Just my two cents. But, it is still hard what you are doing, as your choices are hindered. Good luck on the run.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:... You should of hindered yourself with weaponry. Armor is a start, but their has been a good chunk that has done so anyways. If you want a challenge, submit yourself to only weapons that can be upgrade pass + 5. Better yet, submitting yourself to only using small weapons would be harder, as it would take more time to kill, and in doing so make it easier for you to fail if the timing is wrong.

Just my two cents. But, it is still hard what you are doing, as your choices are hindered. Good luck on the run.
    I hindered my weapon choice by not allowing elemental weapons which is pretty huge. +15 are only good if you have stats to increase scaling damage but without leveling up you don't get them. When I came up with the challenge I had to be somewhat realistic. In Demon souls it was possible to beat the game with an unupgraded club, but something like that isn't possible in Dark Souls. There are certain key points in the game where you have to have a minimum amount of DPS or it becomes impossible. 4 Kings will continue to pile up on you and within a couple minutes you'll have 4+ attacking you at once. It took me 44 successful attacks to finish that fight all the while dodging and reapplying resin. With a +5 small weapon I just don't think it'd have been possible to pull off in the end no matter how much I dodged. Once you get more than one attacking you and throwing out the unblockable attack it gets ridiculous. Also Nito and his skeletons are just insane if you can't either kill Nito really quickly or use a divine weapon to take out the skellies permanently. If they keep getting up it's nigh impossible to survive naked and no shield due to the bleeding/toxic damage that you eventually acquire.

Overall though yes it'd have been even tougher with a smaller weapon. I'm sure I could have done it with something like a +15 broadsword, club, etc.. but I ended up going with Claymore for extra oomph.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Episode 8 is up. Seath and Nito down, only Gwyn remains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPivklU7_tw
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Gwyn's the easiest part! Just parry, riposte, repeat.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Perhaps if I had a fancy shield it would be silly
    I've parried him bare handed but you can't block his first attack then time the parry on the second. You either parry the first or die trying hehe.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Parry the first! I always either beat him with the parrying dagger or my bare fists--neither of which allow me to go for the second hit.

Btw your rules don't mention anything against the parrying dagger. Use it against Gwyn. (You don't need to meet its equip requirements to parry with it. winking)
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 pm

I can parry him just fine with my fists only, the problem is surviving if I mistime it with no armor or poise. After a riposte when he stands up it's difficult to tell if he's going to do the fast attack or slow one. If it's the slow one I can easily time it, if it's the quick one then I literally have to start before he swings. I'm trying to find a way to tell for sure which he's going to do but it's not easy when you die in 1 or 2 hits hehe.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Don't worry, I know what you're talking about. I did a speed run, and when I got to Gwyn I wasn't exactly armed to the teeth! I could soak up 1 hit though, but 2 and I was stunlocked until dead. And with my weapon, I needed 7 consecutive parries. You'll probably need more than that, though.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:59 am

Well I just defeated Gwyn and have uploaded the final video to the play through. It was difficult overall but not impossible. Some areas I thought would be difficult weren't that bad, and others that I thought would be easier were plain hellish. Beating the game without armor or a shield really improved my dodging ability I can say that much.

Anyways here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5cQkzFeZv8
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Finished watching. Congrats! I commented on the video, just wanted to post here to give you some rep.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks my friend. I decided not to just parry Gwyn to death and instead fight him defensively. His last jump attack at the end I couldn't resist however and it made the ending just a bit more sweet.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Yeah, made a good ending!
    sjackson12
    sjackson12
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sjackson12 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 am

Are you Asian?
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:47 am

Ha! No, but I date asian girls if that counts.
    sjackson12
    sjackson12
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sjackson12 Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 am

I just have to ask when I see something like this, hah
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:00 am

Funny enough most of my friends are asian of some sort. I used to play a ton of fighting games, especially street fighter 2, and in the arcades I used to beat all the asian guys in my area. Garnered a lot of respect as I assume they figured being white they would wipe the floor with me hehe. Still friends with some of them to this day even though that was quite some time ago.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:03 pm