Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
Avenger649
Spurgun
Rynn
TheMeInTeam
befowler
Fotitudo
EeAyEss
Rudmed
ThatPerson
somnam
OrnsteinBro
Forum Pirate
Kerberos-013
Bcc17
Stone inc
Knight Alundil
Glutebrah
hageshisa
Marino.
Infighter
24 posters

Countering Dark Bead

Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Countering Dark Bead Empty Re: Countering Dark Bead

Post by Infighter Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 am

I don't understand the hate on Dark Bead. You need to learn how to roll bs it or at very least dodge until he runs out of castings or realizes that it's stupid to spam, then they whip out their MGS which is meeeh weapon.

Fighting gankers in township IS SO FUN, use mobs to your advantage the elevator can be tricky, use mages, little bride to kick em off, or even chester himself! lol
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 am

Infighter wrote:I don't understand the hate on Dark Bead.

It does 1500++ Damage when everything connects and its fast .
    Thats the Problem
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am

Marino. wrote:

Thats the Problem

I face dark bead occasionally. Yes sometimes I do get 1 HKO but that's my fault because Either I didn't dodge properly or was overconfident
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am

Use GMB, equals no problem
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 am

Infighter wrote:
    Marino. wrote:

Thats the Problem

I face dark bead occasionally. Yes sometimes I do get 1 HKO but that's my fault because Either I didn't dodge properly or was overconfident

Remember how everyone complained about WoG back in the Day ?
    When WoG connected it did 600 Damage at best (dont call me out on that) .

Dark Bead can kill someone with one casting and thats clearly OP .

Sure, you can use GMB but it still wont fix the Issue that is is way too Powefull at the moment .

Look, i personally dont care about DB, i know how to deal with it but it still needs some nerfing .
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 am

all a Mage has to do is Poise tank 1 hit, and cast it right as you swing. then you cant dodge Dark bead. i ran into a mage that did this yesterday, and even as Katana User i didn't swing fast enough to be able to roll away.

mage had on Giant chest, havel gloves/legs and then crown of Dusk.

never had a big issue with Dark bead till i saw one that used it this way.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 am

Rynn wrote:I have been PvPing for 10 hours now.
    in tally, i have faced the following. (123 total matches)

Dark Bead: 97 matches
    Wrath of the God: 9 matches
    Spear: 76 matches
    Katana: 20 matches
    Pursuers: 2 matches (I use the ring of fog, so most people don't cast it on me)

PvP variety has decreased drastically with this new DLC, while offering very unfun and often cheaper alternatives, while cutting down on or nerfing anything that assisted players in fighting such dirty and cheap tactics in the first place (Good luck fighting gankers).

I'm utterly disgusted by this DLC.

Y'know I predicted this. Not what you're saying, specifically, just the complaining.

A few months ago, pre-dlc/ pre-nerf, I made a thread stating the following;

The hornet ring isn't OP. Elementals aren't OP. Nothing is OP in this game it's just that the stronger weps/spells/items that are better at killing are far more common. This gives people the impression that everyones running around using the same gear and people only win fights because they're OP.

I warned you then that as soon as you nerf something in a game something else will just take it's place as the strongest wep/spell/item and then that will be considered OP.

People like to complain about things and they're always going to band together and pick the strongest force and say "It doesn't deserve to be that strong because I am not."
    Stone inc

Post by Stone inc Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I've been pvping just outside the forest and have been getting pretty good action. Most everyone that invades or summons me has gone through the dlc, but its only once in a while that I actually get taken by pursuers. But I have another question, I am not fond of using a shield in pvp, I don't care if others do but in place of shield I duel wield with wog as back up for magic users, back stabbers, and turtleing, I also tend to use weaker weapons. Is wog that frond upon that I shouldn't use it at all or slb for that matter. Some guy messaged me about using the slb as weak. Just wondering.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Stone inc wrote:I've been pvping just outside the forest and have been getting pretty good action. Most everyone that invades or summons me has gone through the dlc, but its only once in a while that I actually get taken by pursuers. But I have another question, I am not fond of using a shield in pvp, I don't care if others do but in place of shield I duel wield with wog as back up for magic users, back stabbers, and turtleing, I also tend to use weaker weapons. Is wog that frond upon that I shouldn't use it at all or slb for that matter. Some guy messaged me about using the slb as weak. Just wondering.

You should continue to play dual wielding as you are if that's what you want to do.

You chose to put the points into faith so you could use WoG and SLB so you have every right to use it. That person who messaged you had a problem with it so that's his problem, not yours.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Alrighty I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Welcome to Countering 101:

How to counter all dark spells: Silver Pendant and rolling, therefor they are not OP, they can easily be absorbed by rolling into them or blasting the pendant.

On the subject of "CSS to the face": This only happens if you are terrible at rollin

I have no problems with the arena, in fact, its almost more fun than burg duels and such because 9 of 10 times I get paired with my friend. The other 1 tenth are noobs who are easily crushed.

TL;DR
    Sack up, quit *****, and learn how to play.
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm

I had a problem with a real jerk in painted world. Guy was hiding behind walls and 1 shot people in the back with dark bead as they ran past. At close range I didn't have a chance, killed twice so I cast GMB. It still caused some damage and stun locked me. He then cast dark bead another 15 or so times and I was unable to effectively roll Dodge as I was stunlocked most of the time because of the GMB. I had 1800 HP and yes I suck at roll dodge.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Countering Dark Bead Empty Countering Dark Bead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Bcc17 wrote:Alrighty I'll throw my hat in the ring.

How to counter all dark spells: Silver Pendant and rolling, therefor they are not OP, they can easily be absorbed by rolling into them or blasting the pendant.

On the subject of "CSS to the face": This only happens if you are terrible at rollin

I have no problems with the arena, in fact, its almost more fun than burg duels and such because 9 of 10 times I get paired with my friend. The other 1 tenth are noobs who are easily crushed.

TL;DR
    Has counter /= isn't op. Arceus has counters, but the entire team has to be built around not being flattened by arceus. If ones entire strategy has to revolve around stopping 1 thing from killing them, its op.

Thats why I don't say most things are op, to beat them doesn't require ones sole focus to be stopping that tactic/weapon/item from killing one.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am

Unless you're lagging badly, Dark bead is easy as hell to counter compared to pursuers. You can just stand out of range and pincushion them with arrows. Usually I only get caught if I try to bs them while they are casting (possibly this is angering the multitudes of lagbsers out there, adding to the number of complaints, since trying to poise bs or mistiming a roll bs gets them oneshotted rofl.)

It casts fast? Roll as soon as you see the hand go up with the black aura. It's not as fast as WOTG anyway.

@above CSS to the face usually happens when you're in the middle of the silver pendant animation. The silver pendant animation has a long *** recovery which makes you open to backstabs, css and other nasty things- which is why you should rely on dodging and just chuck the silver pendant out of your quickslot. I doubt any pvpers have trouble dodging CSS on a normal day.

Dark bead is so much less annoying than pursuers shenanigans like hitting you before they fire, stunlocking you in midroll, or oneshotting you when they went the other way. But both spells are avoidable.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:20 am

Bcc17 wrote:Alrighty I'll throw my hat in the ring.

TL;DR

Not buying the DLC, so I'm not getting the pendant, and simply because you can roll out of it or dodge does not mean whether something is OP or not. It whether those spells contain in themselves weaknesses like a long casting time, low damage, a set range of effectiveness. At 45 dex, with all the equipment buffs a munchkin can stack, DB and Pursuers don't have much in the way of weaknesses or require effort.

As for dodging pursuers, try rolling into them as they come directly at you, they'll usually curve down into the ground.

ThatPerson
    ThatPerson
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ThatPerson Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 am

Dark Beads is rather easy to dodge. Just dodge foward to the caster, you can even do it with a fat roll.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 am

somnam wrote:As for dodging pursuers, try rolling into them as they come directly at you, they'll usually curve down into the ground.

I don't understand why people even bother suggesting this, it simply doesn't work. Either it lagshots you in midroll, or it arcs around and comes back.

If you want to dodge pursuers you need to gauge the lag difference, roll away from the pursuers, then roll into them. Sometimes an additional roll in the opposite direction is needed to throw their lock off. Or you could just wear the fog ring.

But rolling into them gets you hit when you come out of your roll or during your rollframes. It doesn't work.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:05 am

OrnsteinBro wrote:
    somnam wrote:As for dodging pursuers, try rolling into them as they come directly at you, they'll usually curve down into the ground.

I don't understand why people even bother suggesting this, it simply doesn't work. Either it lagshots you in midroll, or it arcs around and comes back.

But rolling into them gets you hit when you come out of your roll or during your rollframes. It doesn't work.

I suggest it because it does work when I use it. And its the fastest way I can deal with Pursuers so the opponent doesn't get several extra seconds to follow up on it with more spells or buffs.

Pursuers has never doubled back on me after I threw them the first time. The closest they've come to that was to curve in what was still the wrong direction.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 am

My issue with dark beads is the versatility it has. Is it dodgeable? Yes, but it comes off odd nonetheless.

In order to dodge dark beads one is recommended to roll toward the caster thus moving themselves closer and closer to the kill zone, where one hit and thats it. Now because we are humans we are prone to mistakes and they will happen, and if you make a mistake in the kill zone it can be GG. Well what are other options..rolling to the side doesn't work because of the spread, while rolling backwards doesn't work because it has a range. Not to mention if one is a pure melee build...well now you're out of range (Why you don't have anything else is beyond me!)

So the way to counter Dark beads is to roll toward the caster and thus increase your risk, while the caster's rewards increase. That sounds kinda backwards doesn't it?
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm

One thing to note: Vow of Silence. Sure, it requires 30 faith, but that's not too high a faith stat. Even then, those with slb should be able to use VoS, assuming they used slb before casting VoS. It's one solution I never see happening.
    Fotitudo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Fotitudo Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 pm

GET GOOD!
    Hell these posts are annoying as hell! >sad
    I don´t have any problems with dark magic, with lag its pretty dangerous, but what isn´t dangerous with lag?
    Fast roll + dodging skills. Whats the deal?

So i won´t say, i´m a pro, im just "good". Nothing more. And i only died once, against dark bead. Which was my fault.

- Vow of Silence
    - Great Magic Barrier
    - Crest Shield/Havel Shield
    - Fast roll
    - Dingy robe + big hat (helps a lot!)
    - Dark Hand, absorb dark magic without stamina and health damage!
    - Hidden Body against pursuers

Sometime i ask myself, what do you do against great combustion or wrath of the gods? ...
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 pm

If you find a thread annoying, please don't read it.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Wait, you can really block dark magic entirely with the dark hand?!

I know what I'm carrying as my 2nd shield if that is true.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:08 pm

The best counter i've seen to pursuers, is the person took the cast time to cast Great Magic Barrier.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Fotitudo wrote:
    - Dark Hand, absorb dark magic without stamina and health damage!

Wait wait.
    Is this true?
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm

I doubt that the dark hand blocking dark magic is true. Though to counter dark bead GMB and the cleansing greatshield are both viable options. Of course there are ways of avoiding it, the best way is to have either the flip or the fast roll and just continue to roll to the side when it is cast.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am