Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Xero
WyrmHero
reim0027
Forum Pirate
RANT
Slarg232
PlasticandRage
DemonRider909
12 posters

Good Str Weapons

DemonRider909
    DemonRider909
    Casual
    Casual

Good Str Weapons Empty Good Str Weapons

Post by DemonRider909 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Basically what is says. What are some good Str weapons? And, on top of that, what is a good overall Str build? Armor, weapons and all. I have some ideas, but I'm mostly a Dex character and stick to fast weapons. Lateley(?) I've been using a dual katana build with Dark Bead, Emit Force, Black Flame, and Gravelord GS Dance, so I think it'll be hard to move over to a str build. Not sure really...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Good Str Weapons Empty Re: Good Str Weapons

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:43 pm

I've been using the Demon's Great Axe a lot lately. It's scales very well, hits hard, and has a useful unique moveset. The Zwiehander and Greatsword are really good STR scaling weapons also, but they don't scale completely with STR, so if you're looking for something that's STR exclusive you could try the Demon's Great Machette or Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, which I personally don't like as much, but a lot of people do.

The Butcher's Knife is a fun STR scaling choice also. You won't be hitting quite as hard as you would be with some of the larger weapons, but it's faster, so you'd be hitting more times. Plus it has a fun moveset, and heals you with each hit that connects.

If you're going heavy armor for poise I'd recommend combining pieces of Havel's set, as it adds tons of poise. The Black Iron set is also really good as far as combining high defense and poise, as well as the Giant's set. Although it's difficult to visually combine the Giant's with too many things and not look like an idiot.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Honestly if you are looking for some heavy armor, I recommend the Steel set; gives almost as much armor as most of the heavy sets, but it doesn't slow your stamina rate or weigh quite as much as them either.

Also, my favorite STR weapon is the Butcher Knife. Don't quote me on this, but I think the one handed strong attack takes you the same distance no matter how heavily burdoned you are.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:54 pm

^ Yeah, the Steel set is nice too. I usually end up using at least one piece from it in combination with some heavier sets.
    DemonRider909
    DemonRider909
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DemonRider909 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks, I'll probably go with decent poise, because I don't want to become what I hate. As for weapons, something that scales completely with str is what I'll probably use, although I'm indesicive whether I want fast and decent weapons or slow and powerful. If I go with the slow ones, I'll have to have quite a bit of poise. Either that or a fast roll.
    DemonRider909
    DemonRider909
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DemonRider909 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh, and I love using pieces from the Steel set to buff defence/poise.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 pm

If you're going to go with a slower weapon I have to recommend poise over speed. I kind of love invading/being invaded to find a player with low poise and a slow weapon. Easy prey.
    DemonRider909
    DemonRider909
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DemonRider909 Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:15 pm

^True... Something to think about.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Unless you're a dragon anyway. That's probably the only exception I could see where being fast and having little to no poise would be just as affective with a slow weapon. Dragon's have enough other tools at their disposal to make up for it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:04 pm

msgs, reinforced club, giant smith club, demon great machete, demon great axe and hammer. butcher knife, golem axe, greataxe, stone greataxe, large club and the bk weapons. and yes! steel set is pretty awesome.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey Rant, I'm thinking about upgrading a smaller, faster STR weapon, to compliment my DGA, in case I fight someone who'se just too quick for me. What do you think? I'd preferably like something I can buff, as I'm carrying both faith buffs at the moment. I was looking at the Mace, Morning Star, Butcher's Knife, Blacksmith's Hammer, and Pick Axe. What's your take there? I know you and Wyrm did some testing with those weapons, and I trust your opinion on it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

either reinforced club or giant smith hammer. gshammer is one of my fvourite weapons right now, it has good damage, infinite stunlock and really good range and the r1 has some curve to it which is really good against fishers if you unlock. the reinforced club is pretty much the same but it has bleed and of course the reach is not as good. try them both adn see which one you like better. here's a vid of broke using them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnqDRxjU20
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 pm

You can't buff the Giant Smith's Hammer though can you? I played around with the Reinforced Club a bit. I don't think I like it. The bleed seems to take forever, and I'm not a huge fan of the moveset. You're not into Andre's hammer huh?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

i like andre's hammer but its just a reg hammer but it does have infinte stunlock so you can use it if you want. ginat smith hammer cant be buffed but only because its light and has a lot of things that imo make it better than the others, reach is one of the most important things i look for in a weapon.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm

It's fast enough for a big weapon to fulfill what I'm looking for you think? Maybe I'll upgrade mine and see how the damage is in comparison to Andre's buffed.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm

buffed andre's is for sure better than the giant smith hammer. just go with andre's hammer since i have neveer seen anyone use it besides me.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:59 pm

That was kinda part of my motivation too. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring it to PvP
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:15 pm

The large club is tricky to use well (ie doing more than just roll r1 spam) but is very strong, dead angles and has good reach. You'll want to be fast rolling though.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:25 pm

I might receive flack for this, but anyways.

Mura. Sure, it scales with dex, but needs 28 Str to wield. You need to 1H the Mura to get the best out of it. In contrast, the Zwei performs the best with 2H (max out at 27 Str). Add on top of that is the insane weight and the 40 dex that needs to be there (so, no cheesing on the 27 str 2H = 40 str 1H trick). It swings slow, has more of a recovery, can be outdone by pokey-pokey weapons and rolling BS, (like a strength weapon), and, unlike most dex weapons, doesn't rely on damage per second (so, tanking a strong slow weapon - 1 hit vs 3 hits with your slicey/dicey = more damage out than in).
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:26 pm

LOL, if you only use Dex weapons you'll hate Str weapons. They're slow and heavy as hell. With the DWGR nerf you'll have to sacrifice HP for poise and fast rolling, or go medium roll. However not all Str weapons are good with medium roll. Great hammers for example are best used with a fast roll build. These are what I consider the best Str weapons since you're used to Dex.

-BKGA
    -Large Club
    -Zweih
    -Reinforced Club (best used for stunlocking, roll and sprint attack suck)
    -Hand Axe (buffed + shield)
    -MSGS
    -Elemental Pike
    -Light Crossbow
    Xero
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Zweihander is pretty much the "I win button".
    DemonRider909
    DemonRider909
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DemonRider909 Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks everyone. I'll probably end up using a hammer, club, or just something light so that I won't have to sacrifice too much for a fast roll AND decent HP. I can also probably try to get better with (heavier) Str weapons in either the forest, arena, or PVE. Then I'll decide what to do with those.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Just had to pipe in in defense of the great club. I used dex weaps for almost a year before trying str, and this club is my favorite by far. It is easy to obtain in blight town, gets A scaling in str at +15, and can be buffed. Even a mid level str build with 28 str (the min requirement) can usually manage a great magic weapon buff with an oolacile catalyst at 15 int, which adds nearly 200 more magic damage makes the club extremely powerful. And of course CMW or DMB/SLB are even stronger -- it is often trivial to break 1000 AR.

The moveset is also pretty good. The rolling r1 is a 360 sweep that dead angles and is good for cancelling the inevitable BS attempts. If you play with the camera, you can also convince it to go nearly 720 degrees, great for gutting attempted BSers. 2-handed, it stunlocks and also breaks poise extremely well, and the legendary rolling R2 slam attack has a huge and very unpredictable AoE. Both that slam attack and the 2-handed charge move also have an AoE stun that can stagger people even if you miss, and if you are using a buff the buff damage can hit twice from both the swing and the blast effect if you do connect. Finally, the slow R2 attacks are actually good for throwing off parry attempts if you set them up with R1s. All in all it is a very versatile weapon that can end fights in a hurry if your opponent slips up.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Reinforced Club is best strength weapon of all time. Since i started using it i actually enjoy my str guy as much as my Dex
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm

DemonRider909 wrote:Basically what is says. What are some good Str weapons? And, on top of that, what is a good overall Str build? Armor, weapons and all. I have some ideas, but I'm mostly a Dex character and stick to fast weapons. Lateley(?) I've been using a dual katana build with Dark Bead, Emit Force, Black Flame, and Gravelord GS Dance, so I think it'll be hard to move over to a str build. Not sure really...

The answers to your question is all a matter of experimentation. People prefer different weapons for various reason. Personally, my favorite str weapon for PvP is the BKH. But that's me. Others may find that weapon to be too awkward.

Also, a "good overall str build" is also a matter of personal preference. I mean, you may want a fast rolling strength, mid rolling, or even a fat roller. You may want a cleric/str or mage/str build. You may want a light str build that has 40/13 or a BK str build that has 40/18. Even still you may want a full str, that has either 50 str with 13/18 dex, or even 58 str w/13/18 dex to be able to use the Smough hammer. Just keep in mind that many of the questions that people have on these forums could honestly be answered by experimentation. I'm known for using a WIDE variety of weapons. If I would've listened to the opinions of others without experimentation, I would probably be the same old katana pyro user that you commonly see. Give all of these options a test run for yourself and you'll find out what's best for you.

As a brief Str guide, I dedicated a 4 part commentary series called, "Why would you need dexterity if you have strength." Feel free to check it out. I may be of help.

Strength Build Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvfF16oOxPOLAxJKtZUpYaOrP-8O-9vu3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:17 pm