Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
hey its andres
lalliman
Bloodpact91
8 posters

Where should i go?

Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Where should i go? Empty Where should i go?

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi , i am currently in my first playtrough of Dark Souls , and i'm at a crossroad wondering where i should go next.

I rang both bells , so now i see 4 choices to go to : -New Londo ( where i got my *** handed to me the first time i went there as a low level), Sen's forteress, The catacomb ( i am hesitant to go there since my Firelink Shrine bonfire seems to be gone), the foresty place after fighting Havel , and i think that's it.

My equipement is : Pyromancy Flame , Drake Sword , Dragon crest sheild , short bow , Mask of the Sealer , Crimson Robe, Shadow Gauntlet , Crimson Waistcloth, Havel's Ring , Blue Tearstone ring.

My stats are : SL: 33 , Vitality 19 , Attunement 16 , Endurance 16 , Str 20, Dex 13 (trying to get it up) , Resistance 12 ( what the hell is that for?), Intel 10 , Faith 10 (trying to get 12 for Heal).

Also if you see my stats are horribly used , tell me, i actually have no idea what i'm doing with them lol!

Thank you.
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Where should i go? Empty Re: Where should i go?

Post by lalliman Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm

The idea is that after ringing both bells of awakening, one should go to Anor Londo to get the Lordvessel. The way to get there is through Sen's fortress. Have you had a chat with Frampt? He gives some useful info if you choose the talk option. You can however, go wherever you like. It's an open world game silly

Some advice: resistance is futile (lol) don't invest in it. It increases poison resistance, which is not worth increasing a stat for.
    Keep in mind that the drake sword does not scale with any stat and will be out damaged by most weapons once you reach a decent level.
    Since you're wearing mostly light armor, using Havels ring is prolly not necessary, unless you have very low endurance. If you're making a melee character, you're gonna wanna aim at 30-40 endurance though.
    Also the blue tearstone ring is pretty much useless in early game. (and remains of limited value later on)

Last edited by lalliman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Well for one, if you have Havel's ring on I would suggest making use of it by wearing heavier armor to increase your poise. You can, technically, go to New Londo although it won't be much easier than before. The whole thing about this game is that despite it not being open world you need to discover and explore things for yourself. The cutscene you witness after ringing the first bell should serve as a clue of wear the game intend's you to go next although as stated you are free to choose.
    Quick note, if an area feels impossibly hard try exploring somewhere else although I wouldn't always say this as some areas are simply that hard. Just use your judgement, and have fun!
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm

hey its andres wrote: The whole thing about this game is that despite it not being open world

lalliman wrote:
    It's an open world game :p

:shock:

Ok well thanks to both of you happy i was wondering because i was told that in the catacomb there was a boss giving me the ability to kindle fire further and have more Estus Flasks and as for the foresty place , i just didn't know what was in there silly

lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 pm

xD yeah well it's partially open world. Depends on what you call open world.
    The catacombs is a good place to go, IF you know how to fight the skeletons. I could spoil for you how to do that, but the game is much more fun if you find stuff out on your own >:3
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:11 pm

lalliman wrote:xD yeah well it's partially open world. Depends on what you call open world.
    The catacombs is a good place to go, IF you know how to fight the skeletons. I could spoil for you how to do that, but the game is much more fun if you find stuff out on your own >:3

Are they different from the skeleton you fight on your way to the entrance?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Sen's is where you're supposed to go ultimately, but I don't think you're equipped for it.

Depending on what type of loot you seek I'd recommend either the Catacombs or the forest area.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Bloodpact91 wrote:
    lalliman wrote:xD yeah well it's partially open world. Depends on what you call open world.

Are they different from the skeleton you fight on your way to the entrance?

Let's just say that the will to live is a bit stronger in those skeletons...
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Until you have a Divine Weapon the skellies in the Catacombs will keep on reviving until you kill the necromancers and to get a divine weapon you have to get the Divine Ember from the top one of the towers in the forest and to get there you have to defeat the Moonlight Butterfly. I think that's enough clues for now.....have fun.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm

I'd go explore the forest, and if you get lost simply "follow the flowers". Oh and what I mean is that it is not a traditional open world game.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 pm

so foresty area it is O.O
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:21 pm

The general path a beginner should take is Asylum -> Burg -> Parish (1st Bell) -> Lower Burg -> Depths -> Blighttown -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo.

Anything else is up to you really. The two wiki's are a great source for information, and certain areas are great for receiving cool stuff early on(Valley of the Drakes, Darkroot Garden, Catacombs, etc).

My advice is to not go into New Londo at all unless you have enough Transient Curse or a cursed weapon. It's not worth having ghosts hand your *** to you on a silver platter.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

hey its andres wrote:I'd go explore the forest, and if you get lost simply "follow the flowers". Oh and what I mean is that it is not a traditional open world game.

I know, i just found it funny silly
    Bioraptor
    Bioraptor
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bioraptor Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Just to pick up on what Lalliman said about talking to Framp.Be warned once you do talk to him you will not be able to join the DarkWraiths in the Abyiss.Darkstarker Kaathe will not show once you kill the 4Kings.But to be honest I doubt this to be practical for you on your first play through.Although I thought I would tell you to keep your options open.........I do not want to tell you to much as I do not want to spoil it for you....Although going to the Catacombs for the right to Kindel is a good option.Or you could go to Anor Londo an use the Black Eye orb to invade Lautrec to reclaim Anastacia's soul back off him so you can relight the Firelink shrine bonefire.......I will say no more as I have said to much already.....
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

densetsushun wrote:The general path a beginner should take is Asylum -> Burg -> Parish (1st Bell) -> Lower Burg -> Depths -> Blighttown -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo.

Anything else is up to you really. The two wiki's are a great source for information, and certain areas are great for receiving cool stuff early on(Valley of the Drakes, Darkroot Garden, Catacombs, etc).

My advice is to not go into New Londo at all unless you have enough Transient Curse or a cursed weapon. It's not worth having ghosts hand your *** to you on a silver platter.

ya i got the sheild and the sword from from valley of drakes happy Btw wich is better , Astora's straight sword ( i think that's the name) or Drake sword?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Drake Sword is more powerful, Astora's kills skeletons. Neither is really that good to be honest.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Bioraptor wrote:Just to pick up on what Lalliman said about talking to Framp.Be warned once you do talk to him you will not be able to join the DarkWraiths in the Abyiss.Darkstarker Kaathe will not show once you kill the 4Kings.But to be honest I doubt this to be practical for you on your first play through.Although I thought I would tell you to keep your options open.........I do not want to tell you to much as I do not want to spoil it for you....Although going to the Catacombs for the right to Kindel is a good option.Or you could go to Anor Londo an use the Black Eye orb to invade Lautrec to reclaim Anastacia's soul back off him so you can relight the Firelink shrine bonefire.......I will say no more as I have said to much already.....

Don't worry about spoiling , i'm not the kind of person to get mad over that silly
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Drake Sword is more powerful, Astora's kills skeletons. Neither is really that good to be honest.

Damn and i thought i had good weapons sad
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Drake Sword is more powerful, Astora's kills skeletons. Neither is really that good to be honest.

If you're a low level faith build Astora's works wonders. It handles good and will do quite a bit of damage when fully upgrade while also not being extremely heavy.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Almost any other sword in its weapon class will do more damage than it if taken down the Divine/Occult paths.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Bloodpact91 wrote:Btw wich is better , Astora's straight sword ( i think that's the name) or Drake sword?

It depends on a number of things.
    First and foremost, Drakesword upgrades are annoying while Astora's Straight Sword is relatively easy to upgrade.
    Drakesword has a high base damage which gets you through at least half the game, but at a certain point it just doesn't cut it(get it, cut it? lol ) anymore. Astora's Straight Sword is nice for a faith build early on because of its relatively high faith scaling(B if I'm not mistaken) and decent strength scaling.

Next to damage, take into consideration the different movesets and how large the weapons are. Certain areas really make the drakesword annoying to handle because of its length and because you can only swing with it, while the Astora is nice because it can stab but it is considerably shorter so you'll have to make due with being close to enemies.

Another thing to consider is that Astora does magic damage on top of physical, and as far as I know Drakesword only does physical. Astora also has the added effect of, while not being a Blessed weapon, being able to put the Catacombs skeles down for good.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Almost any other sword in its weapon class will do more damage than it if taken down the Divine/Occult paths.
    Yes, but at the lowest level when that's all that available it's a totally viable option. For most players that don't know Newton's shortcut in the catacombs they need a divine weapon and this is one they can get early on. Also twinkling titanite is more abundant initially than green shards are at the beginning of the game (without farming).
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:47 pm

But I can kill the Butterfly for the Divine Ember and kill the Blighttown leeches (or buy shards off Vamos) all before even having to fight the Taurus Demon - it's completely doable.

I could even get the Large Divine Ember if I'm feeling adventurous.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:But I can kill the Butterfly for the Divine Ember and kill the Blighttown leeches (or buy shards off Vamos) all before even having to fight the Taurus Demon - it's completely doable.

I could even get the Large Divine Ember if I'm feeling adventurous.
    You're arguing from the position of someone who probably knows the game in and out, who's done at least a few playthroughs with different characters and the Master Key. As someone who knows so much about the game, you could even get to Vamos and get an OP Fire Great Scythe within 10 minutes.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Most areas are dead ends until you finish the area after Sen's Fortress, at least on your first playthrough. I would go to Sen's Fortress first, you'll find a more powerful weapon there as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:58 pm