Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
LunarFog
sure-magicians
6 posters

Another build question...

sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Another build question... Empty Another build question...

Post by sure-magicians Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 pm

For the past weeks I've been trying hard to be competative at pvp, and it's going ok, win some lose most but almost every character I've been playing with is from my pve-period.
    I have a great LV 308 that I figured would be perfect but, as you lot already know, it's useless.

So I took everything I have learned and read here so far and made several new builds, someone here (I believe it was Kirk-Barb; thanks for that btw) suggested to compete at a lower level, and that is what I'm doing at the moment and I've got to say, fighting at SL 20 is a lot easier then at SL 308.
    I have managed to defeat the Four Kings at SL 15, took 23 times and 1 busted controller and a semi busted relationship, but I had joined the Darkwraiths at SL 15.
    Done some invasions, had my *** handed to me by the occasional Darkmoon blade but all in all it worked out great.

So I am building another character, well actually I am making 2, and I intend to keep both at low level, now I'm not sure about the exact level but somewhere between 50 and 100.

What I have gathered here so far here is that most experienced members build around a specific weapon, obviously at level 50-ish the weapon is going to be elemental, and before anyone says to use a weapon I like personally, well I've tried that and it always ends at my favorite pve weapon, the halberd.
    Needless to say I don't have the experience nor the skill to be any good with a halberd in pvp...

On my SL 308 I've tried most weapons but I can't really compare using a +15 weapon with 66 strength and 50 dex to using a regular one with 16 strength and 12 dexterity.

What would be a safe starting weapon for me, for a level 50 build and also for a level 100 build?
    So far I haven't wasted any stats I think, and before I inevitably do that I wanted to check here first, vitality and endurance are at 28 and 25, strength and dexterity at 16 and 12.
    Started both characters as a Pyro so 2 attunements slots, I think I really need those for when the going gets tough, and it usually does big grin

I'm thinking to make both builds elemental, (one based around a strength weapon and another around a dexterity weapon) so I can invest more in endurance and vitality, that will probably work with the SL 50 but I'm not so sure of the SL 100.
    I like the Iaito but that would need another 6 in dexterity, so maybe the Uchigatana is a better option?

And for the SL 100 I am thinking to use the Claymore, but on the other hand I'm not sure, so I looking to you all for help, tips, advice or comment, whatever is helpful.
    Anything would be great! And sorry for the long read....
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Another build question... Empty Re: Another build question...

Post by LunarFog Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Just skimmed over your post since it was so long but here's my suggestions and thoughts:

1.) The Halberd is a decent pvp weapon. It's relatively strong, has great range, and most of them have the wide-swing which will work wonders against backstab fishers. They would also work pretty well as an elemental weapon since they have high base damage.

2.) The Iato and Uchi are pretty much identical in terms of reach, speed, and power. The only difference between them is the R2 attack(The Iato's is definitely better since it's a wide horizontal swing). Although from experience, you won't be relying on or using a katanas R2 very much anyways.

3.)There's a trade off between elemental weapons and Standard(+15) weapons.

If you're using an elemental weapon your build will more than likely be: High vitality, Endurance, and magic.

If you're using a standard weapon your build will more than likely be averaged out stats, but with a buffable weapon(in most cases) that can make you significantly stronger than an elemental version.

4.)The Claymore is a pretty standard PvP weapon. One-handing it will probably benefit you more than double-handing. You won't do as much damage on the first hit obviously, but it's easier to stunlock a guy(they nerfed the greatswords standard 2-hand attacks so that it's impossible to stunlock anybody). The 1-hand standard attacks with great swords are also alot more useful since they're wide horizontal swings instead of vertical ones. Oh, plus the whole "able to block with a shield" thing.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 pm

They Claymore is a fine choice for an elemental weapon at SL50
    Something like this http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=403588274525274446 is perfectly good.

If you like the Iiato you can make a perfectly good full Dex / Dexpyro for SL 100 to make use of it.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=492771832227163373

16 STR is enough for some popular dex weapons, Chaos Blade, Silver Knight Spear most notably so you haven't really wasted points.

Armor sets chosen mostly at random to reach 53+poise.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 am

Jansports wrote:They Claymore is a fine choice for an elemental weapon at SL50
    Something like this http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=403588274525274446 is perfectly good.

I went with this one for the LV 50, and I saw you used Chaos as the upgrade path, that has the highest AR with 10 humanity if I'm correct right?
    And I saved the LV 100 you posted, going to build that one as soon as the LV 50 is done.

Jansports wrote:Armor sets chosen mostly at random to reach 53+poise.

I did change that horrible Hollow Soldier Waistcloth, it looks like I'm wearing one shoe in it big grin but other then that, thank you very much for your help!
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:49 am

heres my advice, stack as much poise as you can while maintaining light roll, get a quick weapon (i suggest the falchion) and just go nuts!
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 am

raecor14 wrote:heres my advice, stack as much poise as you can while maintaining light roll, get a quick weapon (i suggest the falchion) and just go nuts!

Define the Australian definition of 'go nuts' please...
    English isn't my first but I'm assuming it means to do something enthusiastically.
    Like spamming the R1?

or this go nuts?
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:23 am

raecor14 wrote:heres my advice, stack as much poise as you can while maintaining light roll, get a quick weapon (i suggest the falchion) and just go nuts!
    No. That may work against bad players and get some easy victories, but better players would still crush him. Sometimes it's ok to spam, but i don't think it's good to base your whole build on it.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 am

no, i meant you can go in with a bit more ease, i could gather buy reading your top post that you know how to play, so i assumed you would gather i mean to play on gard at all times!
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 am

Well, stacking poise and "going nuts" with a fast weapon really brings r1 spamming in my mind. But if you didn't mean that, then yes, falchion is a decent dex weapon.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38 am

FinPeku wrote:
    No. That may work against bad players and get some easy victories, but better players would still crush him. Sometimes it's ok to spam, but i don't think it's good to base your whole build on it.

I already figured as much, and the last thing I'm looking for is an easy victory, last 'easy victory' I had made me feel rather bad actually because I used the very same tactics I hate when used against me.
    I had absolutely no sense of achievement or satisfaction after that fight...

raecor14 wrote:no, i meant you can go in with a bit more ease, i could gather buy reading your top post that you know how to play, so i assumed you would gather i mean to play on gard at all times!

Knowing how to play and knowing how to play are different things, I'm not a complete idiot so I know in general how things work regarding to controls, mechanics, weapons and such.

But I find the online, or pvp part of this game has a rather steep learning curve, at least for me it does, but I have noticed there are very skilled players around, with a lot more knowledge about the game mechanics then me, and I'm looking to learn from those.

Basically I'm looking for anything that can give me an edge in combat, so all comments are more then welcome and very much appreciated!

Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm using this and I must say, it's awesome.
    http://mmdks.com/qop
    Stolen from Billy, as a proof of quality. big grin
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Any thoughts on this?

FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Claymore is not the best weapon for a str build, because it has C scaling with str and dex. Man-serpent greatsword has A scaling with str, almost the same moveset but shorter range and it's heavier. You would have to sacrifice some poise and change armor pieces in order to fast roll with it, but in my opinion it is worth it. You don't necessarily need 40 str either. 34 is enough to two-hand almost every weapon in the game and you would still have higher AR with a one-handed MSGS than with two-handed Claymore.

I don't think you need chaos rapier. It has nice criticals, but it's not very good for anything else. STR weapons tend to deal a lot of critical damage too so you could spare those "wasted" dex points.

Fire storm spells are very, very slow without high dexterity so i don't recommend using them. Fire surge is good at finishin low health opponents, or you could level up faith to 14 to get magic barrier or simply to vit/end for more armor or HP.

http://mmdks.com/r5k Something like this maybe? I changed the starting class.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 pm

I already have a LV 50 that uses a Claymore so I like the MSGS idea.
    How is this?
    And I was going to say that the MSGS has a 'B' as scaling but then I noticed that it changes into 'A' at +15... Glad I checked before I posted that.

And thanks for your advice!
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Looks good to me.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:38 pm

And what about the curved greatswords?
    I like the Gravelord sword, both the looks and the moves, is that a viable pvp option?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm

sure-magicians wrote:And what about the curved greatswords?
    I like the Gravelord sword, both the looks and the moves, is that a viable pvp option?
    It's very good, especially on lower SLs.
    sure-magicians
    sure-magicians
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by sure-magicians Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

This would be good then?
    I could go with this also, any suggestions or improvements are welcome...
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:15 pm

I like the gravelord sword too. It's maybe a liiiittle bit too weak for it's weight for SL 100 PvP. But it's not too bad. You could make a viable GLS build. Stack some HP so you don't have to be afraid of trading hits. It stunlocks nicely when two-handed. It's also good at dead angles but it requires some practice to be comfortable with locking on and off mid fight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am