Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
User1
gmwdim
Oh_the_Humanity
mr_no_face
ChizFreak
Ashran
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Animaaal
12 posters

Quick selecting spells/button customization

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Quick selecting spells/button customization Empty Quick selecting spells/button customization

Post by Animaaal Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:06 am

I have an attunement build that I love playing with. I have noticed though that once you find yourself cycling through 4 or more attunement slots, it becomes kinda overwhelming.

I mean I use a talisman, catalyst, pyrohand and darkhand. I dont use elf ears or bellowing dragoncrest so its not op'd at all. Besides, I'm at a disadvantage because of the inability to backstab.

I constantly find myself saying, "Man you're lucky, if I had great combustion on, you woulda been toast."

I'm not complaining, with enough practice it becomes managable.

But there are a lot of times I also wish I could just switch the R2 button with the d-pad up button. Its not like I'm using it ya know. It would stop me from taking my left thumb off the joystick in order to cycle spells.

Could there be a better way?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Quick selecting spells/button customization Empty Re: Quick selecting spells/button customization

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

I don't really have any problems with juggling my Attunement, but if it's a problem that enough other players have then I think From should definitely look into it.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Quick selecting spells/button customization Empty Re: Quick selecting spells/button customization

Post by Animaaal Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 am

Ya, its not game breaking. Sorry if I made it seem that way.

I'm using: Force/Black Flame/Great Combustion/Dark Bead/HCSM/Firesurge/Strong Magic Shield...pretty much useful spells I don't need dex for.

My Main problem is I set my attunements for my combos. My favorite is Black Flame -->Force-->Great Combustion...very lethal. But something else I like doing is casting HCSM to set up my Strong Magic Shield cast and sometimes its a lot to manage.

It was really just a build to test myself. Its suprisingly good, I prolly just need more practice. When Im warmed up and doin pretty good though, theres always that fight or two when I think to myself, "If I just coulda......."
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

I would like to see voice command spells...or telepathy castings.....
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Do you want Kinect for Dark Souls? silly
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Do you want Kinect for Dark Souls? silly

Only if I cannot have telepathy commands.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Maybe you should just improve your skill to tap between spells while rolling. i dont know how you could implement some kind of fast-spell casting. Well in fact:

-If you are using a catalyst, only sorceries show up. The same for talisman and pyromancies. This way is far way simple to combo your spells without killing your controller.

Like the idea? Hurrah
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

I don't this idea... but I have another one... maybe removing the R2 physical attack from catalysts/talisman/pyro hand, and instead adding another miracle to cast with it? Like you can select miracles for the R1, and change with the Up d-pad as usual, but you have an extra slot (that it's casted with R2), that can't be changed except in bonfires, so whatever you chose to be there, will be there until you change it in a bonfire. Sounds good to me. Obviously the "extra slot" is not free, it counts as another slot, so ATT doesn't need modifications. Like at 12 ATT, you still have 2 slots. If you use the extra slot, it counts as 1 too. It's optional. You can equip 2 miracles in the normal slot and change between them with the Up arrow as usual if you wish.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 pm

ChizFreak wrote:I don't this idea... but I have another one... maybe removing the R2 physical attack from catalysts/talisman/pyro hand, and instead adding another miracle to cast with it? Like you can select miracles for the R1, and change with the Up d-pad as usual, but you have an extra slot (that it's casted with R2), that can't be changed except in bonfires, so whatever you chose to be there, will be there until you change it in a bonfire. Sounds good to me. Obviously the "extra slot" is not free, it counts as another slot, so ATT doesn't need modifications. Like at 12 ATT, you still have 2 slots. If you use the extra slot, it counts as 1 too. It's optional. You can equip 2 miracles in the normal slot and change between them with the Up arrow as usual if you wish.

I like this idea...i shall contemplate...you recieve my thanks.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Sooo the R2 instead of a stupid melee with a catalyst you can change the assortment of spells like changing arrows ?? or maybe an auto change when the magic weapon changes EX change from catalyst to talisman changes the showing magic from spells to miracles

OR have 2 top boxes where the spells would go ya know.. when having a talisman in one hand and a catalyst in the other the two boxes display magic over the respected slot in which the proper tool is displayed... AND the R2 or L2 cycles through the magic respectively to the equipped hand. how about that big grin

and we can debate if we want Attunement back or the Faith / Magic slots like in Demon's souls where your miracle slot are non- dependent from the spell slots
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm

ChizFreak wrote:I don't this idea... but I have another one... maybe removing the R2 physical attack from catalysts/talisman/pyro hand, and instead adding another miracle to cast with it? Like you can select miracles for the R1, and change with the Up d-pad as usual, but you have an extra slot (that it's casted with R2), that can't be changed except in bonfires, so whatever you chose to be there, will be there until you change it in a bonfire. Sounds good to me. Obviously the "extra slot" is not free, it counts as another slot, so ATT doesn't need modifications. Like at 12 ATT, you still have 2 slots. If you use the extra slot, it counts as 1 too. It's optional. You can equip 2 miracles in the normal slot and change between them with the Up arrow as usual if you wish.

mr_no_face wrote:Sooo the R2 instead of a stupid melee with a catalyst you can change the assortment of spells like changing arrows ?? or maybe an auto change when the magic weapon changes EX change from catalyst to talisman changes the showing magic from spells to miracles

OR have 2 top boxes where the spells would go ya know.. when having a talisman in one hand and a catalyst in the other the two boxes display magic over the respected slot in which the proper tool is displayed... AND the R2 or L2 cycles through the magic respectively to the equipped hand. how about that big grin

and we can debate if we want Attunement back or the Faith / Magic slots like in Demon's souls where your miracle slot are non- dependent from the spell slots

I've thought about these 2 ideas a lot, and also Ashran's idea about "only equipped item displays in attunement slot". This is what I've concluded and propose as a change:

1) The "attacks" on all talismans, catalysts, and pyro hand will be replaced with the casting command, same as R1 or L1.

2) There will be 2 attunement slots that show on screen. One on the left and one on the right, respective to where they currently show now. The attunement slot on the left would be for R1/L1, and the attunement slot displayed to the right would be designated for the R2/L2 buttons.

3) Pushing up on the directional pad will cycle as normal, with the right attunement slot moving from right to left, therein form R2/L2 to R1/L1.

4) In the case where there is only 1 spell to display, the slot on the right will not show and the R2/L2 will function the same as R1/L1.

5) This has no bearing on soul level what so ever. Attunements level up the exact same as before.

6) Only the spells/miracles/pyros will display when the casting tool needed is equipped.

Is there a downside to this? Is there a need to have attacks? Sure you can poison, and there's the Manus Catalyst...maybe this could be an option in the game menus..."Cast Only"...*toggle "yes" or "no"?
    ***Selecting "no" would display 1 attunement slot at all times, and all casting tools would keep their respective "attacks".

Last edited by Animaaal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling/additional info)
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Animaaal wrote:

mr_no_face wrote:Sooo the R2 instead of a stupid melee with a catalyst you can change the assortment of spells like changing arrows ?? or maybe an auto change when the magic weapon changes EX change from catalyst to talisman changes the showing magic from spells to miracles

I've thought about these 2 ideas a lot, and also Ashran's idea about "only equipped item displays in attunement slot". This is what I've concluded and propose as a change:

1) The "attacks" on all talismans, catalysts, and pyro hand will be replaced with the casting command, same as R1 or L1.

2) There will be 2 attunement slots that show on screen. One on the left and one on the right, respective to where they currently show now. The attunement slot on the left would be for R1/L1, and the attunement slot displayed to the right would be designated for the R2/L2 buttons.

3) Pushing up on the directional pad will cycle as normal, with the right attunement slot moving from right to left, therein form R2/L2 to R1/L1.

4) In the case where there is only 1 spell to display, the slot on the right will not show and the R2/L2 will function the same as R1/L1.

5) This has no bearing on soul level what so ever. Attunements level up the exact same as before.

6) Only the spells/miracles/pyros will display when the casting tool needed is equipped.

Is there a downside to this? Is there a need to have attacks? Sure you can poison, and there's the Manus Catalyst...maybe this could be an option in the game menus..."Cast Only"...*toggle "yes" or "no"?
    ***Selecting "no" would display 1 attunement slot at all times, and all casting tools would keep their respective "attacks".

I love this idea. Plus, maybe some catalysts are just for that, castings spells. Others like maybe some kind of battle-catalyst wont have that option but a moveset. Also, i'd love to see catalysts that change a little the spells.
    Do you imagine having a primordial flame to cast pyromancies? Or lloyd's staff to channel the most powerful miracles!! Maybe just different effects and animations, if we use an occult talisman to cast wrath of gods, it will cast a darker variant of it, maybe with less dmg but adding more range or giving some kind of curse damage. Who knows.

Since sorceries are bond to the caster soul i think each one should have their own potential, aside from INT adjust.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm

I use the Razer Sabertooth xbox controller and it solves your issue quite well.

Heres a link, you should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbHnorLWBc

You can map the D-pad and shoulder buttons as well as the face buttons.

I have mine mapped so that the right mappable shoulder button is up on the D-pad and the left one is X.
    I have the rocker buttons on the back set to:
    left rocker down is: B (roll)
    left rocker up is: L1 (block)
    right rocker down is: R1 (light attack)
    right rocker up is: Y (2 hand weapon)

It make an amazing difference in my PvP'ing.
    Being able to switch weapons, item, roll, anything I want can be customized to my liking.
    IMO, the amount of ease this gives me when playing DkS, or any game for that matter is well worth the extra $20 that this thing costs over a standard 360 controller.
    It's also has a better built quality than a standard 360 controller.

And no. I don't work for Razor. I normally hate there products, mainly due to the price tag.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Oh_the_Humanity wrote:I use the Razer Sabertooth xbox controller and it solves your issue quite well.

I have mine mapped so that the right mappable shoulder button is up on the D-pad and the left one is X.

Being able to switch weapons, item, roll, anything I want can be customized to my liking.
    IMO, the amount of ease this gives me when playing DkS, or any game for that matter is well worth the extra $20 that this thing costs over a standard 360 controller.

And no. I don't work for Razor. I normally hate there products, mainly due to the price tag.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:I use the Razer Sabertooth xbox controller and it solves your issue quite well.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX

it's a legit hack, right? lol!
    I can now conquer the world with ease. Ha! ha! ha! ha!
    No one else can have the powe...oh wait you can just but one yourself. Look Skyward
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 pm

@Ashran

Thanks. I like some of your ideas too. I'm not sure about the specifics though. I'd wrap my head around it if I wasnt so engrossed in.......

@Humanity

Thanks for the info. I guess I only took into consideration the Playstation controls, without regards to Xbox and PC players. I apologize to those players.

If my idea is not congruent to Xbox and PC players please state why, and I will try to critique the idea.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Animaaal wrote:@Ashran

Thanks. I like some of your ideas too. I'm not sure about the specifics though. I'd wrap my head around it if I wasnt so engrossed in.......

@Humanity

Thanks for the info. I guess I only took into consideration the Playstation controls, without regards to Xbox and PC players. I apologize to those players.

If my idea is not congruent to Xbox and PC players please state why, and I will try to critique the idea.

Im using it on my PS3. I dont own a 360.
    It only works with a PS3 if you use this:

http://www.cronusdevice.com/cronus-device.html

Which is another thing to buy, but it is pretty nice to have.
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:19 am

Taking this idea a step further, how about having different spells attuned for both hands? Like having sorceries attuned to the catalyst in your left hand and pyromancies to the glove in your right hand. And being able to toggle them independently with L2 and R2.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:26 am

Here's the thing...If I could just spam R1 and L1 without ever actually pushing up on d-pad...then I would get a hard**. Just Force-BF-Force-BF-etcetcetc...man that would be great, especially if I retained my ability to manually cycle.

But how would you cycle 2 slots at once? Push down on the d-pad?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 am

Not this again. happy
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:32 pm

RenegadeCop wrote:Not this again. happy

Lol, ya.

But I gotta say, the forum came up with some pretty progressive ideas that could really help the situation.

So special thanks to Chiz, Humanity, No Face, gmwdim, ashran, and pendant for their analysis and contributions. I could totally see this working.

And thank you Renegade for the bump lol.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks, Animaaal...and thanks to everyone for putting up with me silly
    I can be pretty stubborn at times, bounce but I mean well. winking
    I'm so happy that this forum exists.
    I've only been here for a few months, and I feel like I've been here for years. I just wish I went with a PS3 instead on a 360 way back when so I could have shared Demon's Souls's with you guys and gals. I recently switched to a PS3 and got a copy of DeS, and man I'm having so much fun. It really helps having knowledge of DkS, it must be kinda how you DeS vets felt with DkS for the first time. I definitely like certain aspects of DeS better than DkS, it may only be because it's newer to me and I only have 20+ hours as opposed to 800+ hours(360, PC, and PS3 combined) anyways, Im side tracking here. Thanks again and...
    Praise the Sun Praise the Sun!! Praise the Sun
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:15 pm

gmwdim wrote:Taking this idea a step further, how about having different spells attuned for both hands? Like having sorceries attuned to the catalyst in your left hand and pyromancies to the glove in your right hand. And being able to toggle them independently with L2 and R2.

Then we make the up button also cycle items, but in the opposite direction.

I have another idea, and it's from Reckoning.

In Reckoning the attack buttons were square and triangle, X was action, and O was dodge. However, holding R1 made all the shape buttons cast spells. The spells were manually assigned to the buttons. I think this could work in Dark Souls with a couple modificatons.

We make R1 / L1 do the same thing in Dark Souls II, but only if a casting item is in that hand. The problem is we are now limited to 4 spell slots, but we can make the directional buttons do the same thing. That gives us 8 slots total. I don't know what to do about the 2 missing slots, but who uses 10 slots?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Animaaal wrote:

Does anyone have anything else to say about this? I've thought for awhile, and cannot see a better way of improving things. Any new and/or better ideas would be welcomed.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

R2 casting a different magic than R1 is a good idea, also another thing it could do is charge up the selected spell. For example: Wrath of God equipped -> R2 -> Longer casting time -> More damage

Kind of like the prolonged miracles (with the ring) in DeS that caused more damage because of the increased cast time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:08 pm