Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Phoenix Rising
Flankydizzle
WyrmHero
Rifter7
LunarFog
Sneezer
10 posters

Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice?

Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice? Empty Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice?

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:10 am

I'm a fairly new player to Dark Souls, my highest level character is a 107, and I have yet to try and beat the game.
    I currently play on a level 57, which I'm dedicating mostly to PVP. I've learned a lot in the past couple of weeks, what and what not to do in certain situations, all that.
    I've been invading the forest as a Darkwraith in order to learn, is there a better place to do so at level 57? Full Giant's, Dark Magic and gankers is slightly annoying at this point.
    I'm also trying to mix up my weapon selection, I have a Gold Tracer in my main hand, and a Great Scythe in reserve. What are some good weapon combinations that offer good versatility and effectiveness in multiple situations?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice? Empty Re: Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice?

Post by LunarFog Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:14 am

A better place to invade on level 50 than the forest? Literally ANYWHERE. The forest is where emos go to suffer all the pain of cutting without the scars.

If you have decent dex and strength, I would try spears. Fast, longest range in the game, moderately strong.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice? Empty Re: Learning Intermediate PVP; any advice?

Post by Rifter7 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:14 am

katanas, spears and greatswords (in no order) will usually be your "decent in every situation" kind of weapons.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 am

This is what I currently have; http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=203122310169080623
    Any ideas on how it could be improved at it's current/close level?

EDIT: Scratch that, I missed a few things, THIS is my current gear. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=232536099744768554

Last edited by Sneezer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed something)
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 am

oh boy.. umm lemme try working on something.

how ugly can your character be btw?
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:33 am

Currently, my character looks pretty dang suave, but I'm not looking for fashion tips, I'm looking for effectiveness. I can sort out the looks later on.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 am

Sneezer wrote:This is what I currently have; http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=203122310169080623
    Any ideas on how it could be improved at it's current/close level?

EDIT: Scratch that, I missed a few things, THIS is my current gear. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=232536099744768554

Right now this build would look better at SL +100. For SL 50 you'll want elementals.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 am

Yes, I do plan on going to 100, but I'd like to stick around this level for a while, get a basis of learning before I jump in with a lot more skilled people with a lot more capability.
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 am

Yeah if you're new to pvp then I probably wouldn't recommend kiln darkwraithing as you will just get spanked by higher SL players (you might win some and you usually don't lose anything you can't go back and retrieve so might be ok).

I'd be in anor londo for sure at that SL as I was terrified of darkwraiths at that SL even with sunbros on my first play (intimidation can work wonders) but yeah you will get ganked hard sometimes still because everyone summons sunbros from the fire before they go out the door. Kinda need to know what you wanna do first.

Definitely take the 107 SL toon to the Kiln if you have some decent gear though. I've been playing on PC all day and it's non-stop, let alone ps3/xbox (I'm darkwraith SL 106 or so on PC atm).

Good luck mate.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 am

you're starting class is good for going hybrid int/dex or having a little bit of int and having gmw/gms/db.

here's a template for a hybrid int/dex build
    http://mmdks.com/w82

if i can make a suggestion on the weapons and spells..
    i'd say get a homing crystal soulmass, a crystal soul spear and a crystal magic weapon buff.
    for the weapons use an uchigatana, a falchion, a silver knight spear, a moonlight greatsword, a moonlight butterfly horn and a composite bow.

Last edited by Rifter7 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 am

Just to give you an idea of low SL builds:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=490326735501073570

Forest is the worst place for low SLs since they can invade as high as SL 700s.
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:56 am

Just a note: I'm invading the forest as a Darkwraith, not as a covenant member, so I can get people closer to my level.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 am

DWs as well can invade super builds. If I were you I would invade Anor Londo or Painted World since most people are at SL 60 in those areas.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 am

hosting will get you people around your level. not in dark anor londo or darkmoon garden tho i'm pretty sure.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 am

LunarFog wrote:The forest is where emos go to suffer all the pain of cutting without the scars.
    This may end up as a quote in my sig. +1
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:18 am

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BagerX2 Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 am

The forest isn't to bad atm, I have had a couple of stupid host get themselves cornered, and a darkwraith interrupt a good 1v1, but other than that things are going good tonight.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 am

LunarFog wrote:A better place to invade on level 50 than the forest? Literally ANYWHERE. The forest is where emos go to suffer all the pain of cutting without the scars.
    Nah. No emos in the forest. Just people who are there for an all out war. Crazy, no doubt. But, I do agree with you that the forest is not the best place to learn PvP.

PvP in the forest is different than regular PvP. IF you spend too much time in the forest, your "duelling" skills will suffer. Different world.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

As far as your curiosity in weapons, I'd say look at op in this thread.

top tier weapons in the meta atm.

As far as intermediate pvp, I'd say watch these 2 videos:

After that, I'd watch this one.

They helped me, hope they help you.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 am

I have a SL 55. The beauty of having a DW that low is that you pretty much can invade anywhere. The particular hotspots are the Catacombs, the Painted World, and Anor Londo. Anor Londo is #1 for that level though. Just dont expect much honorable PvP if thats what youre looking for. The players at that SL are questing and wont take kindly to invaders, and thats all part of the fun! happy

If youre feeling particularly nasty, you can go invade at Sen's. Its not a major hotspot for SL 55 but you will find people. It makes for an awesome spot to troll questers. Thats both the bottom of Sen's and the top.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:33 am