Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
bunnywink
Animaaal
Sloth9230
raecor14
psychichobo
densetsushun
defacto
reim0027
EeAyEss
RANT
Spurgun
dancash1808
Peaceful Wollyhop
GrinTwist
DoughGuy
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Samurainova
Soris Ice Goldwing
The Letter X
KingSeekerCow
Kyōkai
Mike5005005
DianaDieHard
27 posters

Stereotypes

reim0027
    reim0027

Stereotypes - Page 2 Empty Re: Stereotypes

Post by reim0027 Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:52 pm

I agree the PC goes too far nowadays. It has good intentions, but is taken to the extreme.

Stereotypes are fine. We all have them based on our experiences. But, negatively prejudging someone based on a cultural stereotype is where I draw the line. In the end, we are all humans and have waaaaaay more in common than we have differences.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 pm

defacto wrote:
    One last word on stereotypes. There have been studies shown that they aren't all that bad. Well first of all without stereotypes Humans would have went extinct 10s of thousands of years ago. If you gave every wild animal you met the benefit of a doubt (Oh THIS tiger wont eat me even though the last ones all ate my friends. I would be a bigot to think so!) you would be dead.

It's just that we apply stereotypes to everything. But studies have shown that most people view other races more positively than they really are through sterotypes. For example people might think that Asians are more hard working and intelligent than they really are or that Blacks don't commit as much crime as they really do.
    Studies have also shown that stereotypes are potentially damaging to those receiving them. In a study where black people were asked to take exams, they performed far better in the ones where they did not have to answer what race they were than in the ones where they did have to jot down race.

Similarly, women performed far worse on tests where they had to specify a gender. Asians perform far better when they have to specify their race, and similar to the female one, Asian women perform far worse when they have to jot down their gender but much better when they have to specify a race.

DISCLAIMER: The following uses of the word "you" is not meant do be directed at anyone in general.

Stereotyping is good for keeping the unknown out, but we're living in a world where we're mixing and mingling with all kinds of people from all walks of life. Stereotyping just means you're too lazy to get to know the different people who have different facets to them.

On the issue of "political correctness" and the "PC culture", it's funny when people throw this term around because it's an easy cop-out for having to deal with how someone else thinks or feels. Just because you don't get offended by stereotypes(whether or not you're on the receiving end) doesn't mean someone else won't or shouldn't. What's worse is when people throw the term around to prevent criticism being thrown at them, especially in public forums and spaces. You publicly declare your opinion, you should be prepared to have to defend it or get criticised for it.

Edit: On the topic of certain people being predisposed to certain behaviour, it depends largely on how they're brought up and the culture they grow up around. You can clearly see this in certain aspects like the different views countries have with regards to political topics or even things like culture(things like videogames being constantly pointed at when shockingly violent acts occur).
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm

A very interesting topic... sadly it's late and I'm tired, so I just have this:

Japanese players for me seem to have Crossbows a lot. English speaking players however often seem to have some Xanthous item of clothing and Lightning Zweihanders/Greatswords/etc.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm

defacto wrote:I used to play the MMO Final Fantasy XI.

The servers were based in Japan and so the servers consisted of the Japanese and everyone from around the world on the same server.

They also had auto translate so that you could speak with people who didn't speak your language. It was pretty awesome.

Except that Japanese players wanted nothing to do with English speakers.

You could put in your party seeking area what kind of party you were looking for. Japanese players 99% of the time had {English} {No Thanks} which meant they didn't want to party with anyone speaking English.

The auto translate was good enough and the experience grind simple enough that you could easily party up with people who didn't speak your language and have a great group. I let in Japanese players into my party when they wanted to and it was fine.

People would make up all kinds of excuses on why most Japanese didn't want to party with anyone but other Japanese. But it was really that there were stereotypes that the Japanese had about English speakers. Basically that we were stupid, rude and didn't know how to grind for experience points.

But I'll tell you this much. If Americans put {Japanese} {No Thanks} you would be called a xenophobic racist who jerks it to pictures of Japan getting nuked.

The double standard is because of political correctness which is a disease in the west. I don't really want to get into it because it will just turn into a huge rant about how much I hate PC culture. Also I can tell who went to college or not just by the way they talk about certain issues. Let's just say that the "long march through the institutions" was a huge success and was instrumental in promoting the politically correct propaganda.

Back to the topic, Mexican hackers make sense to me. On a survey they were found to be the most likely race to think it is OK to cheat in life. This includes taking bribes, collecting welfare you are not entitled to or not paying taxes. It went Asians --> Whites --> Blacks --> Hispanics.

Personally I really like to try to communicate with people who don't speak English or don't live in America. I'm endlessly fascinated by the world and the people in it.

One last word on stereotypes. There have been studies shown that they aren't all that bad. Well first of all without stereotypes Humans would have went extinct 10s of thousands of years ago. If you gave every wild animal you met the benefit of a doubt (Oh THIS tiger wont eat me even though the last ones all ate my friends. I would be a bigot to think so!) you would be dead.

It's just that we apply stereotypes to everything. But studies have shown that most people view other races more positively than they really are through sterotypes. For example people might think that Asians are more hard working and intelligent than they really are or that Blacks don't commit as much crime as they really do.

Alright I've said too much in a topic that wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

where did you get that information from?(survey) all those 'studies' are alwayss biased you cant trust them. its all about how you're brough up, there's no more cheaters in mexico than there is in china, all countries are pretty much the same when it comes to values.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:23 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    defacto wrote:I used to play the MMO Final Fantasy XI.

The servers were based in Japan and so the servers consisted of the Japanese and everyone from around the world on the same server.

They also had auto translate so that you could speak with people who didn't speak your language. It was pretty awesome.

Except that Japanese players wanted nothing to do with English speakers.

You could put in your party seeking area what kind of party you were looking for. Japanese players 99% of the time had {English} {No Thanks} which meant they didn't want to party with anyone speaking English.

The auto translate was good enough and the experience grind simple enough that you could easily party up with people who didn't speak your language and have a great group. I let in Japanese players into my party when they wanted to and it was fine.

People would make up all kinds of excuses on why most Japanese didn't want to party with anyone but other Japanese. But it was really that there were stereotypes that the Japanese had about English speakers. Basically that we were stupid, rude and didn't know how to grind for experience points.

But I'll tell you this much. If Americans put {Japanese} {No Thanks} you would be called a xenophobic racist who jerks it to pictures of Japan getting nuked.

The double standard is because of political correctness which is a disease in the west. I don't really want to get into it because it will just turn into a huge rant about how much I hate PC culture. Also I can tell who went to college or not just by the way they talk about certain issues. Let's just say that the "long march through the institutions" was a huge success and was instrumental in promoting the politically correct propaganda.

Back to the topic, Mexican hackers make sense to me. On a survey they were found to be the most likely race to think it is OK to cheat in life. This includes taking bribes, collecting welfare you are not entitled to or not paying taxes. It went Asians --> Whites --> Blacks --> Hispanics.

Personally I really like to try to communicate with people who don't speak English or don't live in America. I'm endlessly fascinated by the world and the people in it.

Alright I've said too much in a topic that wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

where did you get that information from?(survey) all those 'studies' are alwayss biased you cant trust them. its all about how you're brough up, there's no more cheaters in mexico than there is in china, all countries are pretty much the same when it comes to values.

Just to clarify, in a general sense chinese do not have Dark souls. It exists as an illegal or pirated game perhaps, and maybe in some stores that sell games and some how got a copy. However, they dont have gamestops with legit copies on shelves like in America or japan. And if you want proof, i have my foreign exchange chinese student sitting next to me telling me this. He is from Dalian, whatever that is, and is staying for a week. So if you have any questions for him feel free to ask. His real name Xu Xiaochang, i believe that how you spell it, but we call him "Phillip". happy
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 pm

You have one person giving you anecdotal evidence?
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 pm

DoughGuy wrote:You have one person giving you anecdotal evidence?
    So much this.

Edit: not to mention the validity of the statement(him having this friend) is unprovable.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Samurainova wrote:I find that french people often gank, and people from mexico often hack, Americans often wear family masks, and Australians lag realy badly. And no im not racist, i have statistical data you can see if youd like. Prejudice is one thing, facts are another.
    Australia has the 3rd worst internet connection in the world #bestgovermentever
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm

RantFromRant wrote:

As someone with Mexican parents who has visited Mexico, I can tell you that Defacto is right. At least from my experience. Over there piracy is common; movies, video games, music, it doesn't matter, they don't care. You can get your systems modded to play pirated games out in an open marketplace, no one will tell you anything. There government is extremely corrupt, drug cartels usually do as they please, and people generally have lower standards of living(though not by that much). So piracy or hacking a viedo game? Not exactly their main concern.

I'm not saying that makes it right, but people over there really don't care if it is or isn't.

densetsushun is also right about tests/studies however. When people have to specify their race/gender, their scores will generally reflect societies expectations. If you tell of group of people that woman happen to do worse on the test they're currently taking, then the woman in the group will generally do worse. I didn't pay much attention in my sociology class, but I remember that much.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Samurainova wrote:Just to clarify, in a general sense chinese do not have Dark souls. It exists as an illegal or pirated game perhaps, and maybe in some stores that sell games and some how got a copy. However, they dont have gamestops with legit copies on shelves like in America or japan. And if you want proof, i have my foreign exchange chinese student sitting next to me telling me this. He is from Dalian, whatever that is, and is staying for a week. So if you have any questions for him feel free to ask. His real name Xu Xiaochang, i believe that how you spell it, but we call him "Phillip". happy

i didnt mean cheaters in dark souls, i meant in general as in there's people hat cheat or do crazy **** everywhere not just in a certain country.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 pm

That's for sure!
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:18 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:

As someone with Mexican parents who has visited Mexico, I can tell you that Defacto is right. At least from my experience. Over there piracy is common; movies, video games, music, it doesn't matter, they don't care. You can get your systems modded to play pirated games out in an open marketplace, no one will tell you anything. There government is extremely corrupt, drug cartels usually do as they please, and people generally have lower standards of living(though not by that much). So piracy or hacking a viedo game? Not exactly their main concern.

I'm not saying that makes it right, but people over there really don't care if it is or isn't.

densetsushun is also right about tests/studies however. When people have to specify their race/gender, their scores will generally reflect societies expectations. If you tell of group of people that woman happen to do worse on the test they're currently taking, then the woman in the group will generally do worse. I didn't pay much attention in my sociology class, but I remember that much.

you do know there's places like that in every country, of course countries with more unemployment and less income will have more. im from new york and i can get the same things i could get in those markets in mexico within minutes, i know cause ive been there.
    basically what im trying to say is everyone is petty much the same in terms of values.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 pm

I have a question for him, Rant! What gaming systems are popular out in the People's Republic?
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 pm

The values are there, they just tend to get ignored a lot.

Of course those things things exist everywhere. That doesn't mean certain places aren't more inclined to do it than others. People tend to live up to stereotypes about themselves, whether they're actually trying to or not. Most stereotypes don't just pop out of thin air. They can be misconstructed, but they usually have a reason for existing in the first place.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Cant deny the asian population generally has squinty eyes. Thats not steroetypes, its facts, as well as other things a general ethnic group of people share. Its the maturity that allows us to seperate one from the other.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Samurainova wrote:Cant deny the asian population generally has squinty eyes.

So do fat people.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:

So do fat people.

and people that get high a lot.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:15 am

I don't have enough up-reps for both of you, I don't have any up-reps left at all 🇳🇴 . I guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow... if I remember silly .
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:30 am

There is one type of peoples that I place in high regard above all other peoples:

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am

Samurainova wrote:Cant deny the asian population generally has squinty eyes. Thats not steroetypes, its facts, as well as other things a general ethnic group of people share. Its the maturity that allows us to seperate one from the other.
    You're ignoring the vast amount of Asians with almond shaped eyes. O_o
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 am

densetsushun wrote:
    Samurainova wrote:Cant deny the asian population generally has squinty eyes. Thats not steroetypes, its facts, as well as other things a general ethnic group of people share. Its the maturity that allows us to seperate one from the other.
    You're ignoring the vast amount of Asians with almond shaped eyes. O_o

Look Skyward

I think it would be a good idea to keep the thread on-topic about Dark Souls stereotypes and not physical racial stereotypes.
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am

You post this in another thread: "I hope this thread doesn't get out of hand..."
    And then you come out with that:
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 am

hey guys look a rail we can hitchhike on to ==================> mask guys, they suck
    FullSpe3D
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FullSpe3D Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 pm

What do you people think of English people (in DkS stereotypes)? I've never heard any real stereotypes of us.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Depends what you mean by english. You mean the U.K or U.S?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 9:08 pm