Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
Jansports
SirArchmage
chantienyee
Hue
seelyon
YggdrasilsSword
Dubscythe
BagerX2
LK-8912
vixder/pennywise
DNG-PaasDieJonco
O1va_
Wind_Falcon
vilebyrd
SlakeMoth
vegan666
Forum Pirate
psychichobo
jimmyc0341
Dibsville
The Letter X
Peaceful Wollyhop
Shindori
LunarFog
KrazykevS10
Muker
30 posters

Games like Dark Souls

Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Games like Dark Souls - Page 2 Empty Re: Games like Dark Souls

Post by Muker Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 am

Thanks everybody.

Dishonored - definetly wanted to try it, but it's totaly a different type of game, I believe it will be more of a Deus EX experience

Fallout 3/NV - I still own F3, have finished it without exploring half of the map, but it didn't have that suprise effect,
    if I die in F3 I know why, in DkS not really big grin

Witcher 2 - actually had that game, but sold it when I was in the Dwarf city, too many dialogs in this game and picking up tons of equipment everywhere was strange, but I heard that that this city was actually the most boring, and it gets better after that,

Only Duke's archives and Gwyn left, so not much time to decide ... but currently the most possible outcome is Starting a SL1 run big grin

O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 am

Wind_Falcon wrote:Severance: Blade of Darkness

Spoiler:

Good old BoD, played this so much when it came out. Lots of gore, what's better than to slice your enemy in to pieces for giving you trouble. Combat is definately not as fluid as in dark souls, might even feel clumsy. But there is the same feeling that every enemy is a threat. Looks like garbage naturally, its over decade old.
    DNG-PaasDieJonco

Post by DNG-PaasDieJonco Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am

In my opinion, Dragon's Dogma is a good game. It's actually one of the few RPG's I've played more than once. Yeah, the Pawns can get a bit annoying at times and it has flaws like pop-in, but overall I really enjoyed the experience.
    vixder/pennywise
    vixder/pennywise
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vixder/pennywise Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm

"Castlevania: Symphonie of the Night" could be described as "Dark Souls 2D"
    LK-8912
    LK-8912

Post by LK-8912 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:04 pm

You can play dragons dogma without pawns...you even got some bonuses from special skills if you play solo (assassin class).
    LK-8912
    LK-8912

Post by LK-8912 Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Also, if you want to try Dragons dogma - wait till April 26. This day DLC Dark Arisen will be released and its include original game in it.
    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BagerX2 Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Started playing the witcher 2 on monday and it does remind me a bit of darksouls with the dodge/parry/roll mechanics in combat. I also found it was difficult as i kept dying a lot on normal. So far i have only done the assault on the castle and break into the castle mission that are from the first guy you talk to.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 pm

LunarFog wrote:Monster Hunter has similar gameplay. Just way way slower.

You've never played G-Rank quests, have you?
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Thank you to those of you who suggested Way of the Samurai 3. I've been pkaying it lately and I am enjoying it immensely.
    YggdrasilsSword

Post by YggdrasilsSword Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am

One of the games I've played that Dark Souls reminded me of was Dark Cloud, an old PS2 game. The combat was very similar: blocking was essential to survival, and I was often afraid to advance to the next floor without going back to town and saving first, simply because I was afraid I would die and lose everything. That tense atmosphere was exactly what made Dark Souls fun, and it was the best thing about Dark Cloud too.

The game also had an in-depth weapon customization system, even more so than Dark Souls. Your character didn't level up; your weapon did, and you could guide its stat improvement and experience gains. Each character had a different weapon style, similar to the many varied weapon styles of Dark Souls. The weapons play into the anxiousness of the game too: if you don't use precious repair powder to keep your weapon in good shape, it will eventually break. Permanently. It was one thing if my character died, but letting my weapon's HP hit 0 was an equally terrifying possibility. (Of course, if that leaves you too terrified to play the game, you can try Dark Cloud 2 instead, where the penalty for hitting 0 Weapon HP was less unforgiving.)

Atmospherically, Dark Cloud was just about as dark as Dark Souls. The villain is a demonic djinn instead of an ancient demon, but the difference is really in the looks (and ultimately, the djinn's true form is appropriately demonic). Dark Cloud 2 (aka Dark Chronicle) is a little more upbeat and less "Dark Souls"-ish, but the gameplay is more refined. Overall, though, Dark Cloud 1 had more in common with Dark Souls, while Dark Cloud 2 was made a bit more forgiving, though both games were high-quality. If you don't have a PS2 or backward-compatible PS3, a top-end PC rig can run the game from the disc with an emulator.
    seelyon

Post by seelyon Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 am

My suggestions are:
    Fallout New Vegas/3 (play on the hardest settings).
    The Witcher 2 (I saw that you didn't like the game in one of your replies and your reasons are the same I never got into that much but it still had the Dark Souls feel to it).
    Dragon's Dogma (Pawns are annoying, only real issue I had)
    Way of the Samurai 3 (One of those games people either love or wonder why you love it, lol).

Might also be worth seeing whatgames like finder has to say.
    Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 am

So I got Dishonnered played for 2hours and ... I'm currently finishing my sl1 run in dks. big grin
    i will give dishonnored a second chance after completing ng and maybe ng+ on a sl1.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sun May 05, 2013 11:27 am

I want Dragon's Dogma on PC sad
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Mon May 06, 2013 2:17 am

Dragon's Dogma is a game that picked up too and wanted to play after Dark Souls, but I just haven't been able to get into it. One of the things that bothered me most was that it's difficult to tell who is your enemy and who is your ally, and you can hurt your allies, so that was frustrating. I didn't play much, mind.

I made a thread (https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t21239-dark-souls-and-vagrant-story) about how super similar Vagrant Story, a PSX games, is to Dark Souls. It's on the PSN, or you could get it for an emulator. It's just top-notch. And I just remembered today another game which is really similar in terms of combat. Bushido Blade 2, which is another Square PSX game. I always wanted another game similar to BB2 -- it takes strategy to fight with parrying and using the right stances. It's super important to fight well because one hit kills, which I always thought was a great concept, since... really.. you can't be hit directly by a sword and still be fine...

Last I checked BB2 wasn't on PSN sad
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Mon May 06, 2013 3:03 am

Dishonored: The game you want to get if you feel that you don't have enough options to kill someone in any other game. There are very many ways to play it. You could alert a guard, have him shoot you, stop time, snatch his bullet out of midair, load it into your gun, unfreeze time then shoot him in the back of the head. With his own bullet. Very screwed game at times. Great though.

Skyrim: The entire point of this game is to make you feel like a badass hero of legend. Entertaining for many hours but not as skill based as one would think. Simply switching my armor around and drinking some potions gets me through any semi difficult part in the game.

Witcher 2: The game for hunters. The whole combat system is based on taking something that is putting you at a disadvantage and turning it into your advantage. Oh, you are double teaming me? Let me make your friend kill you with mind powers. Includes a lot of potion and trap mechanics as well as fluid combat. Entertaining, but linear and the leveling-up system is not too great.

Dragons Dogma: This game is trying very hard to be some mix between Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus. Combat is okay, but the NPC's give essentially no immersion with how repetitive and dull they are at times, as with the fact that the story is horrid. Some people like the game though. But you definitely will never hear that it is someones favorite game.

Fallout: Most people already know how interesting Fallout is. The main difference between 3 and New Vegas is that Fallout 3 has a lot better story at times, and you can get more immersed in it. Also it is extremely easy to get lost in the place with all the random pathways. With New Vegas though it's combat is a bit more refined, with better graphics and the story, instead of giving you the feeling of "I am going to save the day despite the difficulties" like in 3, New Vegas is more like "*** you all I'm going to go win this damn war myself."

Kingdom of Alalur: Think is you combined all the best RPG's and put them into one. I am not saying this is the best game ever though, far from it. Just most everything in the game seems inspired off of other things. Combat is interesting due to the variety, but can be very, very easy. I played on hard and found the difficulty weird. I would do a quest, kill everything with just a few hits and not get damaged at all, then suddenly I face a boss that I do near no damage to and can three-hit me. Hard? Nope. Just use this special build up thing you get to slow time and deal double damage. Definitely not the game to play is you want the despairing Dark Souls feeling that everything is going to kill you.

Bit late to the forum but still. Here you go.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon May 06, 2013 4:14 am

They're Masterworks all, you can't go wrong!

D dogma is fun in it's own way, at least to me it was. Pawns are absolutely the worst thing in the universe and the easy solution is to chuck em all off a cliff then never touch a rift stone again. Ta da! Soloing. There's even an augment for soloing, but I'd advise to avoid it until post game else you will murder things way to fast
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 am

i don't get the complaints about pawns, they work just fine for me and make great bait besides, and from what i've seen of DD dark arisen your going to need every distraction you can get considering the randomly spawning boss monsters can two shot a lvl 75 assasin in full dragon forged gear.
    Frit
    Frit

Post by Frit Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 am

I've seen people mentioning Fallout3, what about Skyrim on harder difficulties? Has anyone tried it yet? It would be closer to Dark Souls in terms of environment.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Frit wrote:I've seen people mentioning Fallout3, what about Skyrim on harder difficulties? Has anyone tried it yet? It would be closer to Dark Souls in terms of environment.

Combat in Skyrim is horribly broken. If you put it on the hardest mode possible, that just means that any random enemy can 1-shot you. Even some random archer on a tower 2 miles away. And blocking doesn't help either, they can shoot around your shield.

Honestly, if you wanna play Skyrim, forget about the combat and just put it on easy to get it over with as quickly as possible.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Elifia wrote:
    Frit wrote:I've seen people mentioning Fallout3, what about Skyrim on harder difficulties? Has anyone tried it yet? It would be closer to Dark Souls in terms of environment.

Combat in Skyrim is horribly broken. If you put it on the hardest mode possible, that just means that any random enemy can 1-shot you. Even some random archer on a tower 2 miles away. And blocking doesn't help either, they can shoot around your shield.

Honestly, if you wanna play Skyrim, forget about the combat and just put it on easy to get it over with as quickly as possible.

This
    Bears are more difficult than dragons
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm

even on master mode skyrim is easy if you bother with enchantments, i cleared the game with my fists (heavy armor skill to convert gaunt defense to attack) then i enchanted the gloves with an unarmed damage boost you get off a guy in riften, using the basic enchantment buff setups one can do more damage than a great sword with a single punch and you punch a lot faster than a gs swings in that game, also the criticals on humans basically are you grabbing the by the hair and bashing their teeth in.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:even on master mode skyrim is easy if you bother with enchantments, i cleared the game with my fists (heavy armor skill to convert gaunt defense to attack) then i enchanted the gloves with an unarmed damage boost you get off a guy in riften, using the basic enchantment buff setups one can do more damage than a great sword with a single punch and you punch a lot faster than a gs swings in that game, also the criticals on humans basically are you grabbing the by the hair and bashing their teeth in.

I exploited enchanting+alchemy to enter an infinite loop. I eventually made a ring that gave me over 100k unarmed damage and a couple million hp (as opposed to 20 damage and 400 hp). Good luck trying to kill me now, game.
    Actually made the combat better too, because instead of being really boring, it became wacky, running around butt-naked, invincible and 1-shotting everything with my bare fists.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm

exactly! skyrims thing is it's open world, which lends itself better to shenanigans than combat.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

In my opinion, Skyrim is anything but open world.
    You can go anywhere and do anything you want sure, but you're almost forced to follow a questline otherwise other questlines are impossible.
    Ever try doing to Archmage quest with a Skyforge Steel Longsword because it was the best weapon you could get at the time?
    Not as easy as it sounds unless you're on anything less than Master Mode, which I refuse to play anything but the latter.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm

usually with elder scrolls i just dash off into the country side and do stuff rather than do big quests, i almost always end up with gear above what i should have when i actually decide to do a story quest...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:44 am