Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
reim0027
Derpwraith
AnCapaillMor
Quarik
KrazykevS10
Zeta Prime
joemann
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Dibsville
Serious_Much
Elifia
twigsterxd
Jansports
Avenger649
ResIsBestStat
User1
linngallo
21 posters

MP or not MP?

Poll

Do you prefer magic/miracle scrolls with limited uses, like in Dark Souls, or MP points, recovered by items, like Demon's Souls?

[ 12 ]
    MP or not MP? I_vote_lcap35%MP or not MP? I_vote_rcap [35%] 
    [ 22 ]
    MP or not MP? I_vote_lcap65%MP or not MP? I_vote_rcap [65%] 

Total Votes: 34
    linngallo
    linngallo

MP or not MP? Empty MP or not MP?

Post by linngallo Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm

I really like MP points.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

MP or not MP? Empty Re: MP or not MP?

Post by User1 Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 pm

MP points.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Yeah, because we REALLY NEED PEOPLE TO START SPAMMING MAGIC FOREVER.
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 pm

I voted for limited casts, because someone with infinite dark bead casts or wrath of the god casts is something I would never like to see.
    I think the current system works better than the old one purely because of this.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Tue May 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Avenger649 wrote:I voted for limited casts, because someone with infinite dark bead casts or wrath of the god casts is something I would never like to see.
    I think the current system works better than the old one purely because of this.

TRUFAX
    YOLO
    SWAG
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm

MP is either the exact same thing (it's nigh impossible to replenish between bonfires) or it's Unlimited (Ethers exist)

My first RPG was FF1, which featured the # of casts system. So it's always been my person bias that it's better that way.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue May 07, 2013 4:19 pm

limited cause it makes game more challenging. you don't have to keep buying replenishing potions, if you run out before the boss you're forced to use your weapon. If you had 2 eat a potion that replenishes mp and you're fighting manus, you could die if you not fast enough getting a flask down.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Ooh, ooh, idea!
    Global cooldown based on which spell you used. For example, if you cast CSS you can't cast anything for the next 10 seconds. Spamming problem fixed.
    linngallo
    linngallo

Post by linngallo Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Elifia wrote:Ooh, ooh, idea!
    Global cooldown based on which spell you used. For example, if you cast CSS you can't cast anything for the next 10 seconds. Spamming problem fixed.

Or more seconds, but the concept is nice! bounce
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm

I don't think a cooldown would work especially for a PvE scenario. While you would have to take longer doing levels you could in essence kill every enemy with a soul spear or some other spell.
    It would have to be a separate cool down per spell and even then the cast times would have to be rather long for each spell.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I'd prefer an MP system, but as I'd outline, it would basically be the multiple uses system as you couldn't heal your MP, you could just choose which spells the MP gets rationed out as the situation sees fit rather than limiting you totally with number of casts.

I guess I'm basically for multiple casts system.. Only difference is you'd just have a total pool unrestorable number of casts/mp to pick and use your spells with.. Like with firestorm you basically get 2 casts.. If you had pooled MP, hows about overall you could use all your magic on 4 firestorms, or you can use it in other spells like GC or Great fireball.

I guess the question I'm posing is- why does it have to be either or? My suggestion is superior to both options- it's not abusable and a crutch like demons MP, but gives better risk/reward and variation of choice magic usage than in dark.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm

You must play dragon age lol. cool game too
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue May 07, 2013 4:47 pm

I tend to highly disfavor limiting player options, hence I don't really like this idea. Spamming isn't a problem, it's a poor tactic that makes you unbearably predictable(because the spam) and gets you punished.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm

twigsterxd wrote:
    You must play dragon age lol. cool game too

Actually I haven't played that. I'm pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere before, but I cannot remember where... I actually just thought of the basic mana system with automatic mana regeneration, but adjusted to not allow bursts of spam at all.

I'm seeing conflicting opinions though. Some people hate the spam and would prefer people to just cast every once in a while, while others don't mind the spam but just hate how easy it is to take out mobs with it.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 pm

I like limited casts because it doesn't force the players hand until they've chosen to use all their casts. While maintaining a distinctive sense of player choice, choosing something is engaging and allows for players to have a greater sense of involvement in the game.

sure you can blast through mobs with CSS and HCSM, but then you have less firepower for the boss at the end of them. Yeah in PvP seeing some derp cast like 5 beads in a row is a hassle, but not really a balance issue.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Avenger649 wrote:I voted for limited casts, because someone with infinite dark bead casts or wrath of the god casts is something I would never like to see.
    Dear God... people with infinite Darkmoon Blade casts...
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

heres an idea, repelishable mp but spells cast in quick succession have a chance of back firing, a single cast has no chance of faliure, the second cast has a 10% chance of faliure and the third has 50% chance of faliure, after that all spells have a 50% chance of faliure, a backfire would consist of wasted mp and the current "casting issues" animation leaving the caster open.
    joemann
    Casual
    Casual

Post by joemann Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm

I prefer MP points and here is why: Currently, one cannot play a pure caster due to the limited number of casts. As a caster you must use your spells sparingly so you have enough casts for the boss, and you consistently rely on your weapon.

However, with MP points, the potential exists for you to have enough MP to use spells on mobs and still have enough left for the boss. Since I tend to prefer casters over melee, it is virtually impossible to play a pure caster in Dark Souls as it currently is. By pure caster I mean that you only use spells and never use or rarely use a melee weapon.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Yes people can play pure caster.. and when done properly it is purely devestating and is just as viable as any melee build. i beleive we should keep the limited cast system because it does make mages possible if they are willing to invest in some attunment but it also makes it so they arent too over powered.. the mp system with infinite castings seems dangerous to me.. especially if you can just continually heal it during fights.

Last edited by Poliwrath on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I like rechargable MP but it has no place in Dark Souls while invasions exist.We've seen many threads about infinite use magic hacks and Dark Bead spam.Both kinda point to people wanting to abuse magic so it wouldn't end well for the PVP crowd.The only way I would accept a recharge system is if it were painfully slow with no way of speeding it up whatsoever.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Poliwrath wrote:Yes people can play pure caster.. and when done properly it is purely devestating and is just as viable as any melee build. i beleive we should keep the limited cast system because it does make mages possible if they are willing to invest in some attunment but it also makes it so they arent too over powered.. the mp system with infinite castings seems dangerous to me.. especially if you can just continually heal it during fights.
    I agree with you there. If your build is set up proper you can have a pure caster. Also depending on where you are there are shortcuts you can open so you can hit the bonfire if you need replenishing.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 pm

As a "Pure" caster It's simple enough to attune GSA once or twice and use that on the enemies in the area, saving you GHSA, SS, HSM ect for the boss.

Restorable MP made just about every DeS boss a joke fight.
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu May 09, 2013 4:57 am

Limited casts, definitely. Screw Dark Bead, just imagine someone that stacks Pursuers casts on top of each other. 5 at one time is bad, how about 20?
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 am

Imagine if they brought 2nd chance back and an mp system, fights would last forever.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 am

linngallo wrote:MP points.
    No.. Just... No.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:23 am