Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
SirArchmage
densetsushun
TheMeInTeam
Walter_White
skarekrow13
lordgodofhell
Emergence
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Animaaal
User1
DigitaLinsanitY
RANT
Rynn
reim0027
ResIsBestStat
Tolvo
goober0331
Jansports
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
kazumoshi
25 posters

This "Parochial" forum.

Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

This "Parochial" forum. - Page 2 Empty Re: This "Parochial" forum.

Post by Emergence Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm

All will be well folks. There is a new game on the horizon with a lot of brand new content to dissect and discuss. This game has served us all very well for nearly 2 years now! Pretty amazing and we as a community have only grown over that time. When you have so many talented and intelligent people gathered in one place, one has to consider themselves very fortunate even if we all get our feathers ruffled from time to time. The thing to remember before every post we make is right in my sig. This forum is a bonfire where we all come to rest and hang and swap stories and help. But many have discovered most of what they want to get out of this game at this point. Now is the time to think outside of the box and do things that are fun, creative and new. Do Co-op runs together, participate in the forum fight club. Hang out together and watch some twitch feeds. Do deep testing of game mechanics. Cosplay cosplay cosplay. And if you don't feel like playing the game anymore, then hang around nevertheless and root everyone else on.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm

For the record, feel free to KEEP insulting me. I don't have a problem with it! lol!

Off topic, Emergence, what happen to our Pm sessions... sad
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I swear E could say whatever the hell he wants and still get up repped for it lol!

But you say 'hang around' as though it's a voluntarily thing.. this place is like the goddam hotel california- you can never leave silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Emergence wrote:All will be well folks. There is a new game on the horizon with a lot of brand new content to dissect and discuss. This game has served us all very well for nearly 2 years now! Pretty amazing and we as a community have only grown over that time. When you have so many talented and intelligent people gathered in one place, one has to consider themselves very fortunate even if we all get our feathers ruffled from time to time. The thing to remember before every post we make is right in my sig. This forum is a bonfire where we all come to rest and hang and swap stories and help. But many have discovered most of what they want to get out of this game at this point. Now is the time to think outside of the box and do things that are fun, creative and new. Do Co-op runs together, participate in the forum fight club. Hang out together and watch some twitch feeds. Do deep testing of game mechanics. Cosplay cosplay cosplay. And if you don't feel like playing the game anymore, then hang around nevertheless and root everyone else on.

He means Towel Day. Link is in my sig. And no that's not "red." It's "emergence." That link is also in my sig (since E has been avoiding the awesomeness of the color thread, I had to try his name for him)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Bonus translation:
    Root everyone else on = vote for Dark Souls II shield designs

ok ok....enough with the shameless plugs but I was trying to make an on topic point too. There are lots of fun things still going on here. Plenty of room to party on Wayne, and party on Garth with each other
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I swear E could say whatever the hell he wants and still get up repped for it lol!

No way.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Ah!
    I am mortally wounded that got upvoted!

I have someone downvoting me twice a day, and you get upvotes for two word responses!
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm

I read pretty all of that locked topics and always thought to myself:
    "it's like talking about sex - no fun at all, better do it..."

for the sake of the forum, perhaps play more and talk less about it?
    downrep, uprep....don't care bout that. I met here really nice guys i enjoy to play with and chat a little bit - don't take it too serious, just have fun with it, and if u don't have fun, stop it and also stop talking about it, cause there is no sense in the flame wars about opinions i saw here.

didn't wanted to attack anybody, if anbody feels attacked - sorry for that.
    it's just my impression and my opinion about those strange topics in the last weeks
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Emergence wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I swear E could say whatever the hell he wants and still get up repped for it lol!

No way.

Then you up rep your own posts? silly
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Tolvo wrote:I'd say there is a difference between saying "I think you are wrong and this is why," and going "You're a *** idiot if you believe this."
    This.

@serious I'm only correcting you because your posts in this thread, and your own thats pretty much the same, are ambigious/over inclusive/inaccurate (phrases like "overly competitive" are highly ambigious, everyone has their own concept of "overly" competitive so the term itself means nothing, or means different things to every person reading, thus the concrete meaning of a scentance including the phrase "overly competitive" is derived from "competitive" as its a more absolute term, attaching your complaints to all competitive people, and each person applyies the subjective "overly" after the fact, distorting your meaning to the subjective view of each reader.)

I am attempting to clarify/let you clarify your meaning, as your language and phrasing leave a lot of room for interpretetation and misunderstanding.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue May 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I always loved the "honor brigade" complaints Martyr talked about lol. I rarely bother bowing to anybody unless they summoned me or I summoned them. However, I also refuse to BS others that are bowing.

1. If I want to BS somebody who can't do anything about it, I can do so by walking up from the bonfire and stabbing some hollows. The challenge is similar.

2. I invaded to actually fight somebody. It has nothing to do with honor, but giving myself a handicap by ripping some of his HP (or all of it in some cases) takes away from the actual fight.

3. In situations where other people are dishonest, you can get BS'd yourself (true if you bow back or if they have a phantom covering them if you go for a BS).

This means that for me, the proper procedure when someone bows is to back off a bit while looking around lol. When summoned I'll bow back though, but I almost always invade rather than being summoned (unless as a helpful phantom).

People get too uptight over some things. I have a special hatred for actual cheaters, but otherwise don't much care how people play. I could do w/o the laggy wooden modem stuff though happy.

BTW, as a very experienced forumer on other sites:

Most people are not effective writers/debaters. A typical person gets abrasive when they have a point attacked that they can't defend effectively. Sometimes, this is simply because they don't know how to effectively construct their argument, but others it's because they're wrong. In others it truly turns into a matter of opinion where no presentation of fact will alter the outcome because the outcome is a pure opinion regardless of all known facts.

What does a person in such a debate/argument do? They go for logical fallacies, one of the most typical being simply attacking the credibility of the person arguing against them in some way since they can't attack the argument effectively. It's a bad cycle and it really doesn't make their argument more effective, but it's nevertheless human nature and one must fight that tendency to avoid doing it themselves.

Take the spear example. We don't have any reliably measured, statistically analyzed data. We could try to come up with it, but we don't have it. Because of this, nobody can definitively measure its strength against that of other weapons, or even the strength of the other weapons in the PvP sense. Then, people disagree and get frustrated. The reality is that nobody knows. We have experiences and beliefs based on anecdotal evidence, but nothing that holds up from objective measurement and scrutiny...at least not yet.

Most constructive, if enough people care, would be to gather that data. Next most constructive would be to drop it, but nobody ever wants to drop it :p. You can replace "spear" with pretty much anything, and people will draw their lines based on SOMETHING, objective or otherwise.

Last edited by TheMeInTeam on Tue May 14, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I'd rather not bring up the "Honor Brigade" talk since that can be just as close minded, but Mein your attitude seems fine by me. It's a case of "I understand the other person, I have a different personal preference but it's just my preference."

I don't believe you said anything about my mother or how much of a slut she is, then again maybe I'm just too tired and your opening statement was "Tolvo's Mother loves the D."

All I can say is people probably shouldn't try to make a post while dead tired.

I think a big thing is we should just stop trying to force our views onto other people, or maybe a better term is preferences. From kind of seems like they designed the game with a sort of "Let's just see what the community turns out like" attitude. Not wanting just trolls, or people setting up a complex system. They just wanted a sort of blank slate to see what the humans behind the characters do with that blank slate. Then let them do that.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue May 14, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't believe you said anything about my mother or how much of a slut she is, then again maybe I'm just too tired and your opening statement was "Tolvo's Mother loves the D."

That would certainly be amusingly ironic in such a thread.

From kind of seems like they designed the game with a sort of "Let's just see what the community turns out like" attitude. Not wanting just trolls, or people setting up a complex system. They just wanted a sort of blank slate to see what the humans behind the characters do with that blank slate. Then let them do that.

Hmm, but with a reasonably large population human behavior starts to become predictable, at least in the "on average" sense. It's all a matter of incentives, some in game, some not.

When you start thinking about gankers, invaders, glitchers, giantdads, pure helpful coop players, people who *never* go into online mode, and others from a "what is this person's motives and how is he reaching them" standpoint you start to get somewhat of a picture as to what each action accomplishes. This is part of the reason why the only class of players I truly hate are the online hackers/cheaters, since they're not playing the game and are essentially barring others from playing it as well. The motivator for that is a sad one indeed, but also frustrating that such a person can also chew up a little of my time.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

It kind of reminds me of a cool concept I had for an afterlife in a story, at least I thought it was cool.

The afterlife is created, and people in there no longer age, they also can't communicate. They can hurt each other, and if they kill another person they are reborn on the earth. People realize this and begin to kill each other to get back, totally squandering the afterlife they have where everyone could live in peace, but they have the tools to destroy themselves and enough people wanting destruction would spread fear causing more to feel the urge to be reborn as a safety net. I probably dreamed it up based off the online system.

Or maybe I should just fall asleep already, I'm not even sure if I'm talking about the topic anymore I'm so tired.

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue May 14, 2013 4:19 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:Most people are not effective writers/debaters. A typical person gets abrasive when they have a point attacked that they can't defend effectively. Sometimes, this is simply because they don't know how to effectively construct their argument, but others it's because they're wrong. In others it truly turns into a matter of opinion where no presentation of fact will alter the outcome because the outcome is a pure opinion regardless of all known facts.

What does a person in such a debate/argument do? They go for logical fallacies, one of the most typical being simply attacking the credibility of the person arguing against them in some way since they can't attack the argument effectively. It's a bad cycle and it really doesn't make their argument more effective, but it's nevertheless human nature and one must fight that tendency to avoid doing it themselves.
    Quoted for truth.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:I'd say there is a difference between saying "I think you are wrong and this is why," and going "You're a *** idiot if you believe this."
    This.

@serious I'm only correcting you because your posts in this thread, and your own thats pretty much the same, are ambigious/over inclusive/inaccurate (phrases like "overly competitive" are highly ambigious, everyone has their own concept of "overly" competitive so the term itself means nothing, or means different things to every person reading, thus the concrete meaning of a scentance including the phrase "overly competitive" is derived from "competitive" as its a more absolute term, attaching your complaints to all competitive people, and each person applyies the subjective "overly" after the fact, distorting your meaning to the subjective view of each reader.)

I am attempting to clarify/let you clarify your meaning, as your language and phrasing leave a lot of room for interpretetation and misunderstanding.

Thing is I've also defined what I mean in other sentences- stuff like if you feel the need to remake a build for one stat point because you want that edge- that's over competitive. If you start arguments because you lose and get annoyed- thats overcompetitive. There's a range of examples, and if you'd actually read my posts (which im doubting right about now), you'd know what i mean

Also, your logic by jumping from me saying overly competitive comes to simply apply to all competitive people leaves a lot to be desired. As I said in many other posts in this thread alone, and my whole presence of this forum and opinions for the last year I think people know exactly what I mean by overly competitive.

It's almost as if you're ignoring the other portions of my post forum. The only way you could possibly misconceive what I mean by overly competitive is by ignoring the other parts of my posts which explained what I meant.

You're acting as though I used the term without any context or elaboration, which is totally false. I'm sorry to say, but you evidently either didn't read my posts properly, or you're simply ignoring their content for the sake of argument over one term.

Also if you could suggest a term I use instead of 'overly competitive' I'd love to hear your suggestions. But frankly there really isn't an adequate single terms- and trying to break down what is a subjective discussion into empirical terms doesn't work (I feel like this is the whole naturalism/non-naturalism ethics debate here)

I feel like this is getting and taking the topic completely off topic now- please reply in PM if you wish, but we should stop derailing the thread
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Posting in forums is relatively simple.

1. Post with respect.
    2. Assume goodwill.
    3. And, don't reply in kind to inflammatory posts.
    3-1/2. Stay on topic.

What's great about this forum here, is those things seem to come naturally to the vast majority of our members. Hence the close-knit and welcoming forum that has developed.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Emergence wrote:

No way.

Then you up rep your own posts? silly
    I may have been the one to upvote that post.....>_>

Silly Reim. Hardly any thread can stay on topic on here for all that long. The other things however are correct, seeing as many people here seem to know each other. You mention someones user name in a thread and suddenly everyone knows who you are talking about. Very friendly here, except for any post that is about "tiers" or debating online rules for dueling or invading. Then it just gets chaotic.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am

Serious_Much wrote:

Thing is I've also defined what I mean in other sentences- stuff like if you feel the need to remake a build for one stat point because you want that edge- that's over competitive. If you start arguments because you lose and get annoyed- thats overcompetitive.

I feel the need to remake a build if I misplaced even a single stat point.

I do not start arguments because I lose and am annoyed.

Am I or aren't I over competitive?

If I am not. How could that be I remake builds for one stat point.

If I am. Why am I being unfairly pooled with players who act like jackasses (starting arguments because of a loss) for simply wanting the best out of a build?

What Forum is desperately trying to explain to you is that it is not competitiveness at all that is the problem, it's not over competitiveness thats the problem. The problem simply is immaturity. People throwing tantrums and generally acting like a 3 year old who wants a cookie before dinner. How seriously or competitively I take the game has LITERALLY NO BEARING on how much of a jackass I am, I was a jackass long before I played dark souls TYVM
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Wed May 15, 2013 7:05 am

Billy fight, billy kill, billy die.
    ^ ^ ^
    Billy rage billy rage billy rage
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 am

If you haven't something nice to say then shut up, that'll sort it out.
    billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 am

Billy-bayonet is an upstanding kinda guy....like that?
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 am

Hyperbole is acceptable.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 am

There is nothing wrong with being competitive. There is nothing wrong with being laid back and not obsessing over getting things perfect. There is nothing wrong with loving PvE and going up to NG + infinity. There is nothing wrong with disliking grinding and the time it takes to make a build. What is wrong is judging people based on how they want to play.

We are all here because of our love for this game. The many different ways this game can be played should only enhance that. Please, let's all remember what we have in common, what draws us here.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I love you guys. Best forum I've ever been in, and you guys are as close to me as you can possibly be over the internet. I know I don't speak much these days, but just throwing that out there. Also, refer to my post about the forum... i forgot where I put it, in off-topic or general... I can't remember.

<3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:04 am