Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Animaaal
twigsterxd
Soris Ice Goldwing
KrazykevS10
Lucien Lachance
xRamenatorx
Sneezer
Serious_Much
Marino.
AnCapaillMor
Dutchy
Werdax
StiffNipples
Saturday-Saint
SirArchmage
Jansports
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
hey its andres
22 posters

What is your stance on modding?

Poll

Your thoughts on modding

[ 3 ]
    What is your stance on modding? I_vote_lcap9%What is your stance on modding? I_vote_rcap [9%] 
    [ 14 ]
    What is your stance on modding? I_vote_lcap41%What is your stance on modding? I_vote_rcap [41%] 
    [ 5 ]
    What is your stance on modding? I_vote_lcap15%What is your stance on modding? I_vote_rcap [15%] 
    [ 12 ]
    What is your stance on modding? I_vote_lcap35%What is your stance on modding? I_vote_rcap [35%] 

Total Votes: 34
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What is your stance on modding? Empty What is your stance on modding?

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 am

I'm just curious as to everyone's stance on this.

DISCLAIMER: I am not asking how to mod, if you mod, or anything of the sort. I just want to know your opinion of the subject.

Edit: ignore the "[hr ]"s this is my first poll Prostration

Edit 2: Modding = Save editing, not glitches

Last edited by hey its andres on Mon May 27, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

What is your stance on modding? Empty Re: What is your stance on modding?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 am

What's your stance, andres?
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon May 27, 2013 1:06 am

There needs to be a "What on earth is modding" option. Because I'm not sure what you mean exactly because modding in other games I am familiar with is mostly stuff like changing the texture/color of armors, or the always present yet juvenile making everyone in skyrim naked.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Mon May 27, 2013 1:13 am

I only think it's fair if you make a fair build. Make everything legitimate, don't have 50 in all stats on a level 10 build. Don't be eating Elizabeth Mushrooms and Divine Blessings as if you are starving to have them. Don't be spamming people with a +15 Crystal Straight Sword and don't be spamming out "Ancient Pulse". Don't give yourself way too much health, make everything as it should be, don't be giving every noob online you see 50 titanite slabs, and you are good. It's when you use mods to give yourself a clear and better advantage over everyone else online that it gets bad and worsens the community. Modders are a virus that can't be cured, once one starts doing it, more and more people feel justified in doing it, and suddenly you have hundreds of people all cheating at the game to the point that if you play legitimately, you cannot kill them. I hate people like this, a lot. I use the save editor to make fun and interesting builds, but never do I make a build that has thousands of health and is impossible to kill. It is good for testing out things and great to use after I have unlocked everything in the game. But, again, it's the people that make themselves infinitely superior to every legit player that I hate.

Of course, this is addressing the online portion of a game. If you want to mod the game offline do whatever the hell you want. Even the makers of most games don't care if you mod the game.

IMO straight face
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 1:24 am

I'm sorry about the definition. I define modding as save editing. Texture modding is harmless so I am not counting that for this poll. My stance up until recently is that I hated anyone and everyone who modded, but I realize that most people do it to avoid investing hours into making a build that is purely pvp. I think of it now as a sort of "creative mode" where you think of a build and create it. I made a hollow soldier build that had all the hollow soldier stuff and it was a blast!

Another thing is that after spending so many hours playing, I think it's fine if you skip the small stuff.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon May 27, 2013 1:44 am

Oh so it's basically the BB glitch. You just get to start with whatever Items you want and can level up to where-ever you need to. Only I'm guessing since it's save editing like the Mega Mule you'd be able to also give yourself Spells and even odd things that make a difference but aren't always apparent (such as covenant rank....I need more Eyes and NOONE invades my gravelord sign.

I think it's fine in that case. I used the BB when it was around, I mean there are so many builds and even variants of those builds. A rather popular build I recently found out is known as the Oroboros, I assume cause some youtuber or streamer used it. It's basically Dex/Fai Buffing a Falchion (maybe) using PW and going to town. Even at a stable SL like lets say 100 there will be slight differences from person to person. Some people only use the two buffs. Some will get a GC or BlackFlame in there so they need a third slot. Some use WoG the same way, some will push up to 5 spell slots for things like WoG, GC, GCFB. Sometimes PW isn't the right body buff so they use TwoP or VoS or GMB

What I'm getting at is even a very specific thing like Dex/Faith using a Falchion at SL100 there's just so much variety, and to manually try them all you'd take weeks playing, since each new variant would need to Rank 3 in Darkmoon + time spent getting there and collecting titanite and then some time actually using it.

Modding or the BB or MM can (and should only) be used to try all these variants and find the one you like best without spending ~12 hours on each one
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 am

Yeah I completely agree Jansports, especially with the BB glitch :razz:

I feel that, when used properly, these things make pvp access practically instant and you can try all sorts of builds. The only problem is that I've noticed that spells are glitchy and you have to run through the game to get them. This may be the only time infinite stuff is okay because it's your game and as long as you aren't ruining it for others then it's okay with me!
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Mon May 27, 2013 2:01 am

Modding is part of the game, so it's fine. If you mod-edit posts to remove harmless remarks, you're a scrub.

Last edited by Saturday-Saint on Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited trolling statement)
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 am

I don't really mind people using trainers to level up a build, you still have to run through and get slabs and embers and stuff, all it does is save you a lot of time farming souls and materials.
    I don't really like people using the CE though, it's essentially the same thing however if you're not careful/don't know what you're doing it's really easy to mess up your resistances with the CE so you end up with a build that, for all intents and purposes, looks legit, but has the resistances of a SL700 player.

They are very useful tools (now that the BB glitch is gone) for players that burn through PvP builds, and save innumberable hours farming for things when you're only testing out some new joke build.

But I'm also torn, because I don't trust people to have the same morals I expect them to have, and I'd honestly like for the trainers and mod tools to p**s off and for them to bring back the BB glitch as (imo) it was a less harmful version of the editors that really prevented people from using them, and then getting more ....malicious with their builds.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 am

I agree. Despite how useful it is, I would rather From get a tighter grip on things for DkSII. I mean on xbox there's some a--hole who is number one and he switched accounts so he can't be banned, but he stays in the top....**** bastard
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 am

Modders cheat themselves by making the game easier. They take away the core essence of Dark souls. This is perfectly acceptable, as it doesn't really concern me.
    If they intend to make use of it against other players, however, it is not. Sure, using mods to make a build is not wrong at all. Its just so horrible easy to exploit, ruining the experience for others.

My stance: Its acceptable, but keep it away from my face.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 3:47 am

Oh the irony, just got spammed with dragon shout by modder Look Skyward
    Dutchy
    Dutchy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dutchy Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:Modding is part of the game, so it's fine. If you disagree, you're a scrub.

I can't tell with you anymore. We need a sarcasm emoticon.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 am

Against it, i understand it's use and am tempted to use it for builds at times but i think most use it to abuse it and have an unfair advantage over others who bust their asses for hours to get a build.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Mon May 27, 2013 6:40 am

Modging makes a 2 Year old Game more Interesting .
    So i'm all for it !

Especially if there is a Mod to make everyone Naked .
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon May 27, 2013 6:47 am

Take a wild guess what I think lol!

Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Unless there was a way I could summon red phantom Taurus Demons whenever I wanted to attack my enemies, I dislike modding. I would use it for build making though.
    xRamenatorx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xRamenatorx Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Werdax wrote:Modders cheat themselves by making the game easier. They take away the core essence of Dark souls. This is perfectly acceptable, as it doesn't really concern me.
    If they intend to make use of it against other players, however, it is not. Sure, using mods to make a build is not wrong at all. Its just so horrible easy to exploit, ruining the experience for others.

My stance: Its acceptable, but keep it away from my face.

How does modding a legit (not fake) build ruin the experience for others?

Many people who use mods for legit builds usually played the game many times over without a mod. The experience isnt ruined and the "core essence" isnt taken away. In fact the experience from a pvp standpoint is enhanced since you dont have to constantly redo the chore known as PvE; especially if youve played PvE multiple times.
    Lucien Lachance
    Lucien Lachance

Post by Lucien Lachance Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 pm

As long as the mod creates a fair build, offering no unfair advantage to the user I think its alright. If you want to make yourself op with mods then do it offline.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Mon May 27, 2013 2:06 pm

I have used save editor myself but I f**king hate modders.I don't care what anyone does offline but when you have any non-legit stats or weapon in PVP or even co-op,I downrep and file on your a**.I used to make quick builds with DBs as a backup for any bullcrap I'd find in the forest but I gave it up and left the area.I'm fine with others making quick builds but put one stat point out of line and I think they are a giant douche.

I know I sound like a complete hypocrite,it wasn't a good idea to even open that can of worms and I wish I had the sense to quit the forest sooner.Instead of every 3rd invasion being a modder,I now see them once every 30 or 40.I genuinely wish there was no way to edit your file,builds might be slower for those who make them that way but it's so worth it to never see another HP hacker.

All of my current builds are made through blood,sweat and tears,just as intended.I have much more fun that way.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Sneezer wrote:Unless there was a way I could summon red phantom Taurus Demons whenever I wanted to attack my enemies, I dislike modding. I would use it for build making though.

My friend wants the same thing except with a Capra Demon lol! He also wants to be the Capra Demon.

Would you guys consider using armor that is unavailable unfair? I'm talking Elite Cleric or Mage Smith stuff.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Mon May 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes .
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I will only allow it for a legit build for the stats only. Any other form of it I despise with a passion no matter what the reason is.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Mon May 27, 2013 3:43 pm

What I don't get with hp/stamina modders is that they're always in groups. I guess one person with infinite hp isn't enough not talking
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Mon May 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Just curious because i'm getting confused. What do you guys consider as a modder? Is a modder a person using the old BB glitch or the MM glitch? Or, someone who has 99 of all stats but plays the game as an sl 10 or 120?
    To me, the old glitches aren't really mods because whether you create a toon in 5 mins or 5 hours, those glitches still use the same amount of souls to get from sl 1 to 120. The only difference is how you get your gear. There are people in the souls network who have beaten the game at sl 1 with no modding or glitches. Being sl 1 on ng+, would you still consider them a cheater?
    I'm just curious as I said, your interpretation of a modder since these posts are all over the place. The BB and MM glitches don't bother me. It's the players with hacked stats or God mode type toons I don't like.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:12 pm