Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
GrinTwist
ResIsBestStat
KrazykevS10
Encore
8 posters

General game mechanic discussion

Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

General game mechanic discussion Empty General game mechanic discussion

Post by Encore Wed May 29, 2013 6:22 pm

A discussion thread put here for people to discuss imbalances that plaques games, magic versus melee and so forth. As this is Off-Topic it will encompass more game than just Dark Souls
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

General game mechanic discussion Empty Re: General game mechanic discussion

Post by KrazykevS10 Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Dark Souls- The sack is clearly overpowered!
    Any multiplayer shooter- Plz nerf camping.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

I agree!

No seriusly though. In the case of say Skyrim. I think smithing and melee is unbalanced.

Boundaries!
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Wed May 29, 2013 6:49 pm

In my opinion the more simple game mechanics are, the less "overpowered" and "cheap" they are in the game, for example a traditional platformer like Mario has simple to use controls and simple power-ups, Mario also has local co-op and none of the characters are overpowered, a tiny sized Mario for example can beat a Fire Luigi with enough skill. RPG's and online RPG's however suffer from that because they give you more game mechanics and items, but don't test possible combinations, causing unbalanced gameplay issues, that's why it's not a problem of the game, it's the mechanics that are far too complicated to be simple, the amount of time playtesting is also high and sometimes certain items aren't rechecked twice.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

There is also the fact that RPG´s usually have a class rooster with multiple choices, making it hard for a developer to make it balanced. one point in time rangers are, other templars and so forth.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 am

I don't think I've ever really come across a game that has implemented magic to my liking. I always find it overpowered or underpowered personally, with the closest game being Dark Souls.

However, that's much more of personal opinion on a official standpoint most games probably have done it well, I'm just blinded by my anger towards magic.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Thu May 30, 2013 1:27 am

GrinTwist wrote:I don't think I've ever really come across a game that has implemented magic to my liking. I always find it overpowered or underpowered personally, with the closest game being Dark Souls.

However, that's much more of personal opinion on a official standpoint most games probably have done it well, I'm just blinded by my anger towards magic.
    This so much.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 am

GrinTwist wrote:I don't think I've ever really come across a game that has implemented magic to my liking. I always find it overpowered or underpowered personally, with the closest game being Dark Souls.

I agree very much indeed.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 am

I believe the word you're looking for in the OP is "plagues" not plaques :razz:

Bad mechanics? Play fifa.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 am

I absolutely hate any game with competetive multiplayer which is level based to the point where a lower level has no chance against higher level.

To elaborate. This is something very common in RPGs, but only Souls games have the option of besting max lvl character with base lvl character, because player's skill is much more important than numbers. Reim can tell you about this a lot. big grin
    That's the only exception though.

Ever met a PKer in MMORPG? Some little kid with too much time, or too much cash on his daddy's credit card, branding the best gear and camping out low level newbs at their quest points? You can't do anything.

I hate how this trend moved to other genres. FPS are a prime example. You can meet someone with higher level, with weapons far more accurate and stronger than yours and smiply have no chance against said player.

The bad game mechanics in this isn't the possibility to obtain high level items with real money, but the fact that the game doesn't do anything about these situations. For example, in FPS, the game should not allow players with big level differences to play together at all. In MMORPG, the game would not allow PvP unless both players are +- 10 levels from each other. For example.

I will not even bother going into stuff like plotholes, poor storytelling, artificial difficulty in PvE, poor characters and so on, because it would take me a week to let all that hate and dissapointment out in text form.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 am

Bad game balance?
    War Thunder.
    Granted it's a beta, but there's the infamous kill assist reward, where you shoot a russian plane with 200 20mm rounds, see it finally go down after losing elevators, ailerons and rudders, putting out two engine fires (russian developers...), and then have that guy in a biplane come and hit it with one 7.62 round, get rewarded with the kill, he gets 400 exp and 700 money, you get 10 exp and 30 money.

Then there are 37mm cannons, able to one shot almost every plane, from 4Km away.
    Or people who boop your giant bomber with their biplane's landing gear,cutting your tail off.
    Oh and did i mention german fighters than can outclimb some jets?

And then, of course, there's the possibility that the game matches your 1944 plane with a team full of korean war jets

It doesn't even follow the general unfair-ness rules (i.e. that require high level and grinding), it's just that random, besides, in the latest x.xx update, they raised aircraft buying cost by millions, multiplied repair and crew costs ,and divided the exp and money income by ~5, meaning that, even if you have a premium account and a premium plane for 400% income, you will actually lose money after each game, effectively making direct purchase of ingame money and exp the only way for a mortal to level up.

This is one of the reasons i don't play PvP

Rant end

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 pm