Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Ghadis_God
Jansports
Soris Ice Goldwing
reim0027
Dibsville
9 posters

Average Moonpit Fight

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Average Moonpit Fight Empty Average Moonpit Fight

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:15 pm

>Bow/Wave
    >Grass
    >Fun fight
    >One person notices that they're losing
    >Immediate backstab
    >Continue fight
    >One person gets to low health
    >Both people switch to Estoc
    >Turtle mode
    >One person finally dies because he tried not turtling
    >Bow/Wave/Praise the Sun

What has the game come to.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Average Moonpit Fight Empty Re: Average Moonpit Fight

Post by reim0027 Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Sounds like a reasonable fight. They are using strategy. I become much more defensive when I'm low on health, as many people do. They pull out an estoc, you pull out a shotel. They start to BS, you start to counter.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Yes, but Shotel leaves you extremely open when you're going to attack with it since the Estoc is faster than the R2.

BS fishing is pretty easy to counter unless they're just punishing you for attacking, in which case there's really very few ways to counter since they'll just punish you for trying to do so.

Also, it's annoying to hard swap to Shotel when you're low on health because all people do is spam running attacks with the Estoc.

It's always decent, but 90% of the time it comes down to "Who can turtle the best".
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Shield poking is really annoying. Try arrows for poison or pyro. The point is it is a reasonable strategy, albeit an annoying one.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Try toxin from the dung things. Kill them faster and not everyone has the cure for toxin. Than again fight poking spamming with spamming with great combustion or black flame.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 pm

http://mmdks.com/2ofu
    My build.

I constantly have my Rapier and Shotel beside my Claymore in my inventory so I can hardswap to it...
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:48 pm

It's frustrating sometimes when you see the same style of play or tactic being used non-stop. Variety is after all the spice of life. If I find I'm getting annoyed at the repetition of fights in an area I simply move to a new area. If Moonpit is being too turtley come to the burg where it's buff south central, or invade the kiln into gank squads. Or heck host the forest and summon whites, see if you can find one that knows how to actually 1v1.

Or even play another game, work on a different build, draw a picture of a taco you'd like to eat.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm

If the opponent starts turtling just back off and roll bs punish their run r1. Bows and poison work very well against turtles, especially ones who are low on health. You could also swap to RTSR and try to risk it all on a dead angle.
    kazumoshi
    kazumoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by kazumoshi Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 am

Dibsville wrote:http://mmdks.com/2ofu
    My build.

I constantly have my Rapier and Shotel beside my Claymore in my inventory so I can hardswap to it...

Woah, Dibs I think we had the same stroke of genius for sack cleric quality builds.
    http://mmdks.com/2ogy

*ahem* back on topic. I try hard to find ways to avoid turtle poking on faster builds, as most people get careless and leave themselves open when an opponent gets low on health. It's hard to stray from the strategy on slower builds though.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:13 am

reim0027 wrote:Sounds like a reasonable fight. They are using strategy. I become much more defensive when I'm low on health, as many people do. They pull out an estoc, you pull out a shotel. They start to BS, you start to counter.
    reim nailed it quite well.

Quite a few guys in here can tell you about my "Surprise Shotel" which ends most fights for me. Only reim and sure_magicians are too smart to fall for such tricks, so I think that general PvP player has near 100% chance of dying to it.

It's simple, you got Shotel ready for swap, but you don't use it. Just bait a poke from your opponent and follow the bait (R1 in case of rapiers I guess) with fast swap and Shotel R2. Works wonders, especially against shield poking. If you hide the Shotel quickly, there are some that won't even notice what you did. Works like a charm. big grin

To be fair. I also tend to turtle and go for criticals a lot more when my HP is low and my opponents is high. It's simply your best bet at turning the tables in such a case. The problem is that it works. Just as I go for defence, most guys will become aggresive to finish you off, so it's a lot easier to get a bs, or parry on them.

If all else fails, go for Poison/Toxic, or spam GC/BF. Works as well as all else.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:33 am

I do Shotel swap, but 90% of the time when I do they kill me with a running attack on the Estoc. I'm not good enough at hardswapping to do it instantly.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 am

I love the estoc's running attack. Once I learned to parry it ending fights became 5 million times easier.

You can also always just wait until it looks safe to hard swap, so you don't end up eating attacks while in menu. I too am not super speedy at switching things so I kind of wait for an opening about as long as I'd look for if I needed to moss/grass.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:54 am

I'm too greedy when it comes to switching things around. I'm not a defensive player.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 am

I've spent enough time on the safe end of a spear to confidently say I am a defensive player, I'll always have a chance to kill you as long as I'm not dead.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17 am

Right, I'll start pacing myself.

Thanks. :razz:
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:20 am

This is why I avoid any part of Darkroot period PvP-wise

You could be on Xbox, everyone fishes.

It's sad how many backstabs I get countering anyone who's going in for a backstab.
    Bleeding_Katana
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Bleeding_Katana Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:06 am

Jansports wrote:It's frustrating sometimes when you see the same style of play or tactic being used non-stop. Variety is after all the spice of life. If I find I'm getting annoyed at the repetition of fights in an area I simply move to a new area. If Moonpit is being too turtley come to the burg where it's buff south central, or invade the kiln into gank squads. Or heck host the forest and summon whites, see if you can find one that knows how to actually 1v1.

Or even play another game, work on a different build, draw a picture of a taco you'd like to eat.

All i do is play in the Burg most of the time and i have to admit it has been getting better. There's an occasional gank or buff but it ain't no thang.You do see a lot of the same builds though so you kinda learn how to play with against anything. With a lot of my builds i don't even take them as far as the kiln.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 am

Dibsville wrote:I do Shotel swap, but 90% of the time when I do they kill me with a running attack on the Estoc. I'm not good enough at hardswapping to do it instantly.
    If they can use running R1 with a rapier, then you're too far to use Shotel anyway.
    Also, that running attack has two attacks. Both are easy to parry. You can take out the Shotel to bait them to use the running attack, parry them, switch to something with better criticals and slaughter tham.

However, if you run into a guy who can do the running attack unlocked, you're screwed and have to evade it. Even blocking doesn't work a lot of the time, because the second attack is likely to do a dead angle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm