Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
Shakie666
Forum Pirate
HereticForLife
Onion Knight
cerealaire
GrinTwist
steveswede
Carphil
jaythibodeau
skarekrow13
Marino.
passivefamiliar
Saturday-Saint
Spurgun
PlasticandRage
ICEFANG
Sentiel
RANT
aceluby
ERDRIVER
Emergence
Argetlam350
Dibsville
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
AnCapaillMor
Serious_Much
Kiva the wanderer
31 posters

OMG THE PS4

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

OMG THE PS4 - Page 3 Empty Re: OMG THE PS4

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 pm

RANT wrote:you get so many games for free, you actually only get ps+ and no buy another game ever.

what?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:
    RANT wrote:you get so many games for free, you actually only get ps+ and no buy another game ever.

what?

I didn't fully understand by I'm guessing: its possible to live with only PS+ free games and nothing else?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

It is. I'm so far backed up on ps3 it's crazy. Dark Souls didn't help though and since I paid for that I would say most people would still need to buy games but I renewed my year in December and have gotten several times my investment already. Four new games today actually
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 am

I'm in the same boat. With DkS I mean. I essentially played nothing else for a whole year, but kept buying games like normal. They added up and I have a pretty big pile I'm working through now.

Aren't you limited to something like 10ish games from a list they provide as far as the ones that come completely free with +? I looked into a bit today and saw a list or two. Wasn't super impressed with much that was on there. A lot of stuff I'd never play, like Saints Row. Unless I'm misunderstanding.
    HereticForLife
    HereticForLife
    Casual
    Casual

Post by HereticForLife Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:39 am

Dibsville wrote:

This literally made my night.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 am

Jesus, I'm writting the same thing here for the fourth time and nobody notices until skare writes the same thing.

I have PS+ since January and got a year subscription. The investment has already paid back several times in all of those free games and it still has 6 months to go.

Just off my memory.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Dead or Alive 5
    Virtua Fighter
    Ico HD
    Shadow of Colossus HD
    Demon's Souls
    Sleeping Dogs
    Mortal Kombat 9
    Limbo
    Hitman Absolution
    Catherine
    Okami HD
    Mass Effect 3
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    inFamous
    inFamous 2

All of those for free with PS+. But there's more, much more. These are just for EU, since January and just what I downloaded and remember. There's a lot of games for Vita, like Gravity Rush, Uncharted and more. There's also a bunch of indie games too. And it's not just free games, you get discounts to new games and early access, or exclusive access to some betas and demos.

You have unlimited access to them and can play them whenever you wish as long as you have +. Once + runs out, you can't play these until you renew it. They change the offer every week, so if you miss a game you're screwed. That's the only bad thing about it.

Today is Wednesday. That means another PS+ update, but I haven't checked yet.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 am

So the list changes every week? And if you download one, then the list changes, you still get to play it as long as your membership is paid? Am I understanding that correctly?

I know I've said this before, and it's kind of a moot point considering the direction the industry is going, but I like my physical game library. Call me materialistic, but I like having a bunch of games to physically go through. There's something about it that I find extremely pleasing, whereas trying to manage the limited hard drive space I have on a device is generally a cause of frustration for me, especially as that device fills up.

I like owning my games too. If I buy a game and like it I hold on to it. I really only sell games that I buy and either dislike or only like enough to do a single playthrough of. I still have the majority of the games I've had for most of the systems I've had. Some people collect baseball cards. I like my games. What can I say? My point is I don't really like this move towards things being all digital, which is in part the reason I haven't gone for things like PS+. I know that's one thing I'm just going to have to live with because that's the direction the industry is moving regardless, but I guess if I'm going to be complaining about it at all this is the thread for it.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 am

I liked to read the game's manual when I was on my way home to finally play the said game.
    With the fake excuse of saving nature, manuals were reduced to a mere and pointless health warning. However, there are games that have quite large manuals, which are not filled with game tips, but with another products from the same publisher. Saving nature my butt. Saving money maybe?

So I kind of understand you Plastic, worry not.

Back to +.
    It works like this.

You have...let's say 10 free games there right now. When update comes, they swap two-three older ones for two-three new ones. Once you download the game, you can play it for as long as you are subscribed to +. As soon as subscription ends, you can't use any of the + content until you renew your subscription.

No need to worry about space. After you finish the game, or don't want to play it anymore, you can delete it from your HDD. If you'll want to play the game again, let's say a half year from it's download date, when it's no longer in the + free games offer, you can still have it. Once you download something from PSN Store, you can download it again, whenever you want for unlimited number of times. It will be placed in your download history. Still free, no charge. This applies to anything downloaded from PSN Store. Once you download it, it's yours and you can download it again for free anytime for any number of times.

Personally, I don't have + because of free games, but because of it's cloud storage feature. You have a 1 GB space on cloud, where you can back-up and download any of your save files. ANY, even those copy protected, like Dark Souls. Unlike some games, copy protected save files can't be copied to a USB flash drive. So in a case when the file gets corrupted, you're screwed and have to start from scratch. Happnened to me two times in DkS. sad
    PS+ back you up with the storage function. I have it set to automatically turn on my PS3 at 6AM, download any patches, new trailers etc, sync my trophies and upload all my save files. You can choose which games to upload, or not manually, so it won't rewrite you a back up save file.
    It has one drawback. Copy protected save files can be downloaded only once per 24 hours and first download is possible 24 hours after upload. Minor issue if you ask me.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 am

I'm about to crash so I'm going to read the rest of that tomorrow. I also miss the manuals though. I recently bought an old copy of Symphony of the Night and I was geeking out looking at the like 30 page manual. Old Final Fantasy games had good ones too. Had all the blurbs explaining the main characters, good and bad. Hell FF7 had a strategy guide for the first dungeon in it. Memories.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm

for you guys who dont know ps home gives you a e3 quiz that gets you 1 month of ps plus i think you could only get it once im pretty sure e3 is limited because its over for conferences im advertising but its true
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Sentiel nailed it Plastic.  I've been on plus since day one and I have access to several times what my hard drive can hold in games I believe.  What I do is religiously check the PSN store (although now I've done it online a few times with my phone) late night on Tuesdays.  I just go to the Plus section and see what's new, if anything.  I "purchase" it and that's it.  

I hear a lot of gripes about the EU store getting better Plus updates.  I don't sit and compare them personally.  Sentiel has Catherine.  I'd love to play that game but can't justify the money with so many other ones to play.  But even with a few twinges of jealousy aside, I've literally never made a better investment in gaming than Plus.  There's games I have zero interest in (new Double Dragon, Street Fighter IV, Joe Danger 2, etc.) but there's a longer list of games I've come to love that I wouldn't have been able to purchase (mostly Vita because of Dark Souls but Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Knytt Underground, The Cave which I just started and plenty more).  

I used to feel the same way about owning a physical CD as you do with games too.  I still purchase physical copies of Megadeth albums.  But I've adjusted and am liking digital more and more. 

And the Cloud Save feature saved my rear recently.  My old PS3 died in October.  I had Dark Souls and Skyrim (and a couple other games) tied to the cloud just in case. Glad I did.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:52 pm

It is worth it, though i hate the practice of holding content ransom. It would be less of an issue for me if offline multiplayer were in more games, but fewer and fewer include it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Sentiel wrote:No need to worry about space. After you finish the game, or don't want to play it anymore, you can delete it from your HDD. If you'll want to play the game again, let's say a half year from it's download date, when it's no longer in the + free games offer, you can still have it. Once you download something from PSN Store, you can download it again, whenever you want for unlimited number of times. It will be placed in your download history. Still free, no charge. This applies to anything downloaded from PSN Store. Once you download it, it's yours and you can download it again for free anytime for any number of times.

That actually is pretty cool
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm getting a PS4. It kinda sucks you have to have to pay for online, but its hardly anything really - £40 for a year? I'd gladly pay that for my PS3 online.

I'm not really a fan of pc gaming, upgrading a pc is so expensive. These days I only use my pc for minecraft  :razz:
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:20 pm

PC gaming is pretty cheap when you take into account the price of games.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I don't share you guys' enthusiasm for the next Playstation but it's a coin toss which console I get if I bother at all with next gen.
    Just because Microsoft has royally screwed itself so far does not mean Sony will deliver.As a hardcore gamer of 15 years,I hope at least one console can give us what we need but I'm not confident.I see far too much internet mentioned,nobody seems to realise that the majority of gamers still don't have broadband and those of use who do have download caps and can't get our games online.
    I wish the people who make decisions for these companies would realise not every gamer lives in a city in North America,it seems insane that it is always their target audience when there is an entire other continent full of gamers.Europe,hello? I do hate my download cap though,infinite downloads would be sweet,especially with the free games.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm comparing Stores fro EU, NA and Japan weekly.
    In the beggining of PSN the EU Store was the worst. No games, no offers, no discounts, no content. Well, now the tides have turned. EU Store still doesn't have any movies, unlike NA Store (at least not EU Store for Czech Republic, dunno if other countries have movies), however, the content of PS+ far surpasses that of NA and Japan combined. Not joking here. Japan has trash on PS+. There are many Japan only games, but nothing noteworthy. They seem to be now the worst off. Which is kinda strange if you think about it...
    NA has good games, but mostly discounts and sales. While EU has majority of freebies and usually has them a week, or two sooner than NA.
    You should've seen the outrage from NA PS+ owners when EU got free Mass Effect 3. I'm currently downloading Uncharted 3 and Xcom: Enemy Unknow as I write this. Both for free. There was also something new for Vita and some LBP game. Not my cup of vaseline.

There's a lot of games on + that I would love to play, but don't have the money to spare for them. Just like Catherine, or Uncharted 3.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Japan is very mobile oriented. With the limited Vita library (compared to ps3) that might explain why their plus is behind. Not as much console focus and they can't give away every vita title. I'm definitely jealous of Catherine but I wouldn't ever actually complain. I love plus too much :x
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm jealous of NA's SSFIV:AE, but hey, we all might get them yet.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

I would trade you with zero hesitation
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am

Warna?

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 am

It sucks the PS4 has a forced fee for online, but the nice thing is that at least you know you will get a ton of other benefits as mentioned before that can outweigh the fee. Still, being forced to pay for it will damage the sales a bit (if only because Xbox One just...come on, Sony made a video that laughed at them! I don't understand how can they even expect to have a reasonable sale!). Still, all these practices are making me incline to go to PC and stick with my PS3.

Sony has the upper hand right now, but they better not try to go in Microsoft's direction, although they are aware of their epic blunder. My guess in the future they try a bit of additional fees, but I think Sony will at least have the decency of giving you good service for it (as you already know, they force the online fee, but they at least provide you with the + service).

Although, I'm worried. If the fans really do go out of their way to buy a ton of Xbox Ones, enough to make a good sale, then I fear the PS4 might go in the same direction, considering that you can mess with your gamers and still get sales.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 pm

I wish Nintendo would come back into the running. I've said it before but their decision to go casual has just made them less appealing to me. I was always a Nintendo man though. All the way up to Gamecube.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:18 pm

i just read that paying online is depending on developers example if i play kz shadow fall and the devs decides to players to pay(its an example im not positive if the devs are going for players to pay) then yeah so pretty much online is dev dependent
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah I read that too. You know a lot of the bigger companies are definitely going to do it. Square and Capcom for sure at the very least. They already to do crappy things with online stuff when they can. Having to be online to sign in to play offline games for example.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:57 am