Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
PaPaSmVrf
Demon Slayer
Derpwraith
Animaaal
KrazykevS10
twigsterxd
crbngville2
Soris Ice Goldwing
ICEFANG
Walter_White
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Exequim
RANT
Djem
TheMeInTeam
Odinbear
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Halicarnassis
Encore
Dibsville
dooshka
26 posters

Sony banning

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Sony banning - Page 2 Empty Re: Sony banning

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:31 pm

If I were interpreting the case, Pursuers would be technically obtainable without the purchase of a license, therefore not theft.

EDIT: I should also add that this is just the surface of the legal issues with the MM.  There is also the issue that to do it, you have to bypass a feature that the developers locked on the game.  Depending on the wording of Sony's agreements that we all agree to when we sign up for a PSN account, this could render my earlier arguments void.

Essentially, while you are using items you have a license to (explained above) you are obtaining them in a manner that is potentially outside the scope of acceptable acquisition.  I can't go into this too much since it would state how the MM is actually done but this one is a little more tricky.  Theoretically, one could use the same technique to have characters that are completely legitimate as well so it all boils down to the wording of usage agreements.  If the MM technique is not prohibited by an agreement then my other argument would be the prime discussion I think.  I.e. what items were "given" or "taken" via the method.

Anyone who knows how it's done will know what I mean but it comes down to the feature I mentioned (which is a PS3 feature that devs choose to use or not) having a clause stating we're not supposed to bypass the developer's intended usage.  Otherwise the MM technique would be akin to the BB glitch or dragon head glitch.  Not an intended usage of the game but not illegal.

Last edited by skarekrow13 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 pm

u can't drop spells to prevent spell spaming like in DeS with spice....not to sell the dlc!
    stealing - lol
    u r talking like a gaming publisher stockholder. if i steal i take something away that the other one don't have any more, so someone is missing the stuff i use on my MM?
    fyi: i own all 3 versions of DeS, both versions of DkS on ps3 and the pc Version and i'm sure FROM isn't calling me a thief because i dupe in DeS and use MM in DkS. MM was in fact the reason i bought another version of DkS
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Stealing is possessing something that doesn't belong to you or you have no right to hold or own.  The only way to legitimately have the DLC spells (minus pursuers) is to purchase the DLC (in some form, see below) which is a license to use a section of the latest patches.  Unless you've paid for that license, you have no reasonable claim to possess those spells. 

Now, if you HAVE bought the DLC you do have the right to those spells and a MM on THAT ACCOUNT would likely not be considered theft in my opinion.  However, a secondary account would be problematic since that account does not have the license.  

Making this even more muddled.....if you bought the disc based version, you should have license to those spells on ANY ACCOUNT because the disc is not tied to a specific account license in that instance.

EDIT: I'm starting to think I should compile my posts in this thread into one and post a new thread titled "The Legality of the MM" winking
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:01 pm

OP I'm crying for you right now.

Oh wait I mean laughing at you.

Haha if you cheat you need to face the potential consequences.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 pm

ICEFANG wrote:OP I'm crying for you right now.

Oh wait I mean laughing at you.

Haha if you cheat you need to face the potential consequences.
    Crying from laughing so hard.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Cheating and breaking the guidelines is worth that ban. Now if only MS would do the same...and they know it.
    dooshka
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by dooshka Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I do not understand the sarcasm, we all know what we and others do, I simply stated that they are getting pretty tough, and here is me thinking this to be a friendly cool place to be,

IT IS A GAME, and I would swap situations with anyone at this present time,

chill out and your life will be less hastle

Last edited by dooshka on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Sorry but being on the xbox side which doesn't do much with things on this game and knowing how far some hackers go I am actually glad to see this happen. To me it says they won't put up with it and will stop it for their sake and players being victims from others using illegal and cruel means. I am not saying I am glad it happened to you but I am glad to see this action being enforced on those who violate rules.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 pm

It is a game that other people enjoy, if you were tampering with the system it makes it less enjoyable for other people, and is easily ban-worthy. You also break your user agreement by using a third-party program, which is illegal.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Stealing is possessing something that doesn't belong to you or you have no right to hold or own.

Since software is not a physical thing, i can't hold that stuff. And heres the clou: With all the discs and licenses i bought i still don't own the software. Is no one reading the EULA? I have the license to use the software - period, nothing more...wait, BD cases and silver discs i bought and own now, i even can hold em winking
    If you want to own a game, you have to be a publisher, or an independent developer.

If u use software without owning a proper licence, then it is licence fraud.
    The DLC is intended to be usable with all accounts on one PS3, you buy a license for your PS3. I do that without hacking, or problems. One Account got ps+ and i can activate two PS3 for that account, so i don't have to buy all that stuff again for the ps3 of my children, with their own accounts. Thats all part of what is legal and intended to work by Sony.
    I haven't hacked the copy protection from the savegame, and to copy a backup savegame back to the PS3 is intended to work.

For the useage of some ingame items NO ONE at FROM or Namco Bandai / Atlus is crying a tear - i'm pretty sure.
    The fun one can have in the DLC (with the first version of the MM) would have been more of a problem, but still sure they would've done nothing against it regarding to a bad cost-benefit ratio.
    yeah, if u don't own the dlc u have no license to use the dlc spells Shrug
    What part of the whole DLC would you think this is? 1/100? 1% of $20 is $0.20 - HELL thats a major crime, on the chair with me
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

@dooshka

Was it megamule that got you banned, or was it actually modding/hacking/cracked PS3? Not asking for specifics. Thanks, and I'm sorry you got banned.
    dooshka
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by dooshka Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:46 pm

mm, pal, but i have had the same done to me,fun I just wonder if some folks are the age they say they are
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Yo, I'm 15 and I embrace it.
    Faking my age is too mainstream.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Dibsville wrote:It is a game that other people enjoy, if you were tampering with the system it makes it less enjoyable for other people, and is easily ban-worthy. You also break your user agreement by using a third-party program, which is illegal.

no see
    EULA =/= laws

Most EULAs from M$ for example are nearly worthless in the EU, for a reason. We have democracy and division of power. No business concern can make his own laws...they like to let you believe they can do that, but they can't!

But still they can ban you from online services, even though it's not illegal - sort of dictatorship on their own server (i'm too the dictator of my server - lol)

dooshka wrote:mm, pal, but i have had the same done to me,fun I just wonder if some folks are the age they say they are

surprised really? u got banned only for using MM? Nothing else done?
    dooshka
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by dooshka Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm

American?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Who are you asking?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:01 pm

dooshka wrote:mm, pal, but i have had the same done to me,fun I just wonder if some folks are the age they say they are

The birth date on my profile is 100% accurate.
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm

dooshka wrote:American?

me? no

still the question:
    your ps3 got banned from psn only because you used unchanged mega mule, so no further hacking?
    You would be the first - how do they even detect that? If they have a way to check the savegames, why do we have to cope with lots of real hacker with infinte health and hacked kj?
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Djem wrote:Hurray! If only this happened more, we wouldn't see so many MM users.
    From wut I was told today, MM is not the same thing. MM is a save file that you have. The modders are, (in a way), pirating.
    MM is totally different. It's no different than buying a new ps3 and transferring your save files.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Twig, that's mostly accurate.  The only difference with MM is that it transfers spells that a person may or may not have purchased a license for.
    Halicarnassis
    Halicarnassis
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Halicarnassis Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Doosh the birthday on my profile is also 100% accurate.
    The community here is very cool. No one is disrespecting you for your actions; we're discussing it rationally. The majority of us here are genuine mature players who've played the game since it first came out as DeS.
    Getting banned just for using MM - dude that's unlucky
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Just remembered, dooshka, is this why you were banned? Meaning when you told us a few weeks ago but didn't know why? Or is this new?
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pm

@dooshka

My birthdate is accurate, and I'm American.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:37 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Twig, that's mostly accurate.  The only difference with MM is that it transfers spells that a person may or may not have purchased a license for.

I forgot bout dlc. They didn't tell me that part in chat this morning LOL
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:40 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Twig, that's mostly accurate.  The only difference with MM is that it transfers spells that a person may or may not have purchased a license for.

So if you bought the dlc then there is nothing they can do about MM? Sorry, to seem dense but I don't quite see where the sticking point is for those who paid for the dlc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:40 am